What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1zKifMjOeH8
clips.twitch
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

S
Fuck Disney

>What went wrong?

Game looked like phoned-in ass. gameplay was shallow, got rid of the 3-man teams.

>Capcom is losing its grip on the fgc
Is this a good or bad thing? Doesn't the fgc prefer Capcom fighters over other games?

Capcom has ruled the FGC for a fucking long ass time. It's time for them to shove off. If they can't bring their A game, then they don't deserve it.

Mahvel was never good.

>What went wrong?

Visually unappealing and people butthurt over no X-Men.

I don't even like the X-Men but apparently, they're the only reason people play these games?

Marvel didn't make it into EVO
Cool.

>Cross Tag Battle made it
Not cool. I get that BB was fun last year but this doesn't seem like it's the same at all.

game was made with a shoestring budget and disney ruined everything marvel related

Capcom only "ruled" the FGC because they puked out crossover titles every year and people refused to drop ST even after 3S established its competitive scene. Dominance like that only comes from sheer numbers.

It just so happens Arcsys has several extant fighting game franchises while Capcom boiled it down to two.

MvCI has shown to be incredibly unsuccessful and generally unpopular as of right now, so it would be a waste of money to support it at EVO, especially since Capcom isn't financially supporting EVO this year
ArcSys is financially assisting EVO this year and got BBCTB in because of this.
DBFZ is a popular and very successful fighting game as of now from a very profitable and well known IP. It is a Bandai Namco game, not an ArcSys game just to clarify, directed and published by Bandai but outsourced to and developed by ArcSys

>pay respects

No, fuck every sub human that was involved in this game's dogshit "story mode". MvC:I's "story" was DmC levels of shit and I hope every idiot involved in it was fired.

Now people can forget this tumor of a game ever existed.

Why couldn't it be Under Night? give FB a fucking chance for the love of God.

The game is cheap on the eyes of casuals...
to be fair it is cheap in the eyes of everybody...

If they didnt just went "lets recycle all charactrs except 6, and lets make the game look ugly.

Then it would have a better reception.

They may try in 2 years with a "Ultimate MVCI" that include a ton of characters...
But knowing capcom, they can never do a fighting game product that feel worth it by its own for normal people

fifth post best post

>Caring about a story mode that doesn't unlock anything

You what and why?

>Thought of getting Mahvel for Monster Hunter
>But now I can just be Monster Hunter

Game flopped because of the awful presentation and story, the bad roster was just salt in the wound.

The bad parts about MvCI could easily be turned into memes and the good parts couldn't, that was its downfall.

They could have allowed the Story mode to unlock Sigma or something. but of course not.
they had to sell it later, even if he is one of the main characters of the campaign.

>gameplay was shallow
you don't like "whiff into tag": the game?

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that it's in considering how little we really know of how it plays. I mean, we know the controls and a rough idea about the combos, but I'm still curious about how the hell they're going to balance the insane range of the Under Night cast compared to everybody else.

They fucked up too much

>create retardedly in-depth tutorial that genuinely teaches you the mechanics of fighting games
>40+ trials per character, all practical from various starters that you'll actually land in a match
UNI[ST] doesn't deserve to flop as bad as it will tomorrow. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast with DBFZ but between it and CrossTag being a fucking 2 button fighter, Arc Sys is killing fighting games with its absurd casualization.

Hilarious that MvCI can't even survive long enough till a single EVO, being considered less hype than Melee (a 16 year old game)

Man these kind of threads aren't fun until someone or someones start defending the game being criticized bu thr thread majority and shit starts getting flung from both sides.

i-it's a fun game!

I got you user

Disneys lawyers killed it and will keep another one from ever being made

french bread games will always be doomed to be niche

Didnt Street Fighter vs Tekken make it to EVO?
Twice?

Disney, anything and everything that company touches gets cursed and rots.

Units probably killed itself by not having a tutorial on its first release. I don't think the arcade machine I used to play it had any type of direction either.

Not really. Tekken 7 and DBFZ (the 2 best selling fighting games of this generation if not all time) proved that you don't need to do shit as far as a tutorial. The problem is that people bitch about how hard it is to get into fighting games (they are) but apparently ignore games that go out of their way to teach you how to play (GGRev is another one with an amazing tutorial). Instead devs have learned that the "best way" is to just make them mind numbingly easy.

And what really killed UNIEL is its artstyle, I guess.

Nothing to do with it.

Youre dumb. Disney ruined Marvel and Star Wars, and had they never bought marvel MvC would still be great.

Eh, ASW is being heavily carried by crossovers at this point. I'll be more impressed if they make a new IP and it ends up being a hit and has a decent tourney life.

I'm getting it, and I just hope I won't be too terrible a noob

They still get the exposure and acclaim from it.

I'm still trying to figure out how does the PK controls and active tag make the game "easier" than MvC3

Have you played UNIEL before? Even if not, I cannot overstate how fucking incredible the tutorial and trials are. Outside of maybe matchup discussion, everything that you'd go to dustloop or srk for is literally in the game.

There's also a Sup Forums lobby that's been almost every night since JP release. But don't worry, it's Sup Forums so every one is shit too.

Also, get ready for fuck hueg normals and specials. Pic very related.

Marvel Studios =/= Marvel Entertainment
And Disney basically lets them alone unless shit gets really bad like BF2.

People choose to excuse Disney, but let's look at Star Wars: it's all downhill after Rogue One. TLJ (while not a financial flop) didn't perform to Disney's expectations and fell behind FUCKING JUMANJI Battlefront Nu flopped due to an extravagant budget that couldn't hope to be returned in sales, especially after such awful press (I blame Disney as much as EA on this since they didn't have the quality control oversight they used to have over their licensed games). Solo just underwent an incredibly expensive and hasty 80% reshoot. Disney clearly has no idea what to do with their "outside" franchises.

...here's hoping they kill the Simpsons too now that they've got FOX.

fpbp

>gameplay was shallow

You know this doesn't actually matter with how popular DBFZ is. It's entirely graphics. It looked like shit and it turned people off, meanwhile DBFZ looked good graphically so people were calling it amazing.

Yea the game is bad no doubt but the reasons for not being in evo are bullshit when Marvel was always one of the biggest drawers at evo. There's a conspiracy going around that Arc Sys bribed them.

Marvel itself

injustice has more mutants that marvel sad

Yeah. Or the game is shit and nobody plays it.

ASW doesn't have that kind of fuck you money. If anybody it was scamco that would have paid off wizard's mcrib budget.

Still, there'd be no reason to do that. MvC:I was a fucking flop, it killed itself.

Yet the MCU is trucking along with barely any problems and making mad stacks. Disney generally let's their companies handle themselves, which is why both Marvel and Lucasfilms handle their games differently (Marvel goes for collabs with multiple companies while SW is licensed to EA).

Street fighter X Tekken was severly flawed.
MvC:i is all around trash.

I know you guys hate McCI but i'm just trying to bring some logic here. Things are fishy as fuck when a game thats not even out makes evo and Marvel a game that brought consistently high numbers each year "just fizzles out". I just have to call bullshit. Even if this game was mediocre as hell it doesn't seem right.

DBFZ only has about 1000x the number of players MvCI has. Quit being a retard.

Occam's Razor time: perhaps ASW simply just makes more widely appealing games more often than Capcom does?

If anything, if ASW were to pay to box out a specific dev then wouldn't they aim for Nintendo? They've got two constant games and some other recent candidates (that thankfully didn't make it to the main event).

youtube.com/watch?v=1zKifMjOeH8

It’s too complicated and uninspired. The mechanics, while fun, are cheap when you think about it. Also the roster was garbage. Probably the worst roster in FG history. Too many returning characters retro fitted to work in the new system. Plus they all looked like crap too. It was so different from a Marvel game (music, level design, over all feel) that it was doomed to fail.

A throw away project to cash in on marvel dollars

Yeah, my bad, i meant that even SFxT of all things made it to EVO, which MvCI couldn't manage.

>the 2 best selling fighting games of this generation if not all time
>if not all time
Dude, Tekken 3 and Street Fighter II are above 7 million copies sold. Then there's the Mortal Kombat 9 which ended up selling 7 million copies. Tekken 7 and Dragonball FighterZ will have to keep selling for years to come to reach anything close to the marks shown above, both haven't even reached the 2 million mark yet (no, don't even talk about shipments)

It would be good because capcom have failed horribly as the head of the FGC. Two attempts the community was very willing to be hits (yes the initial reception of mvci was very positive) that weren't up to the task.

However the question is what replaces it? DBFZ is the obvious choice, but we have to see if the game has legs and if people want to compete in it long term. Tekken and Injustice can also sell well but can never quite match the entrant numbers long term. You could also ask if basing the FGC around a non fg ip is a good idea? MvC3 showed how many issues that can create. A big brand certainly helps sales but it means the game's identity is based off you like this other media. I think that is down to if DBFZ can create a separate identity, kinda like mvc did as it became mahvel.

We are in a situation where no one really likes SFV but it is still the game to play which has created a petty bad atmosphere in the fgc.

The previews of BBCTB have been really fucking poor though. It's a two button fighting game filled with rehashed sprites and backgrounds. And ArcSys had to announce two free DLC characters after fucking up the announcement of 20 at launch and 20 post launch as paid DLC. Dropping Marvel and including an unreleased game that's even more blatant about rehashed content and has had constantly poor reports from people who had hands on with it is actually fishy as fuck.
I'm not saying MvCI should be in though. KOF was fucking robbed again

>tfw been a blazbabby since 09, got me into fighting games
>move onto uniel, favorite mechanics in all fighting games
>love persona arena, got me to play P3/P4 and rabiris is my toasterfu
CTB is an abortion on so many levels. I don't think I've ever gone from over the moon hyped from the EVO announcement to not caring at all so quickly.

Mori was a fucking mistake.

I love the game a lot but it has pretty much fuck itself over at every turn. Even arcsys is slowly moving away from the editions format and you don't have to wait for the game to die in arcades before you can import a nip copy cause the western one will be another 6 months

They fucked up but these years of failures will just make them make good fg again

Capcom should have just did another vs game with Tatsunoko but multiplat.

what makes you think they'll try to balance the game at all

>poor reports from people who had hands on with it
give me some links

I can't wait for Catherine to be competitive again in 2019

>mfw

it got what it deserved courtesy of ArcSysWorks Guilty Gear laying down the ground foundation to feast on its corpse by DB FIGHTERS Z. I guarantee there won't be a season 2 DLC wave for MvCI.

lmfao

I'll probably go back to dbz in a few days, but I'll give UNIST a shot

>SFV is still the permanent main event and the only one on TV
Umm I thought Sup Forums said it was bad???

I didn't say "good" or "deep". I said " more appealing".

Capcom puts money in and money gets you to places. I'm surprised other companies aren't doing it more, this whole esports garbage is very good marketing for your game. Especially if it has personalities which SFV definitely has.

A good thing. At least it means Capcbros will give Animu a chance now because "LOL CAPCOM LOL" can't be their defense anymore.

I'm baffled that Cross Tag Battle and Injustice 2 made it in. I mean, I'd rather not have the Smash games but I absolutely understand why they're there. Someone explain CTB and Injustice to me, did Injustice even get any viewership last year?

clips.twitch
.tv/AmorphousStupidCatSaltBae

CTB makes absolutely no sense, Injustice I have no clue about, it sold a bunch so it must be popular. CTB is just absurd and such an awful idea.

I'll tell you what went wrong, DBFZ was a better MVC than MVC and that's fucking great

Exactly people saying DBFZ didn't kill marvel are reatarded.
The DBFZ announcement killed marvel
Half the memes we use to shitpost are from E3

gg did nothing.

E3 MvCI demo killed MvCI

I wonder if MVCI was profitable for Capcom. It must've been if the budget rumors are true.

I'm sure this game could have actually been decent if Capcom didn't lose the rights to Fox characters and if Marvel actually stayed away from the game and let game developers do their own thing

How is UNIEL's playerbase typically? I'm getting [st] either way, but I haven't played before and would like to be able to play against others. I don't mind if it's small so long as it's consistent.

Marvel killed the game, Capcom was a partner in crime but Marvel is mostly to blame

>Capcom didn't lose the rights to Fox characters
not that i don't want mvc:i dead in the first place but why is this a fault on capcom's side

I will be getting the game in March, i hope the game isn't totally dead by then

The reason it didn't get into EVO wasn't that it doesn't get enough entrants and no one plays it, it actually gets fairly decent entrant numbers at most events.

The reasons it didn't get in was
>Capcom has shown shit support for the game unlike SF5 and doesn't seem to have faith in the game themselves which means others aren't bothering
>Mr Wiz simply doesn't like the game and he was clear from the outset he was looking for any reason to cut it

Not huge, but Sup Forums makes a lobby just about every night.

Game would be fine if it looked at least decent, had an audio direction that wasn't totally shit and they added some unique characters among the MCU shitters, characters like Taskmaster and Shuma-Gorath aren't tangled with the Fox movie debacle and they still got purged.

because some of the characters like Wolverine have been mainstays of the MVC franchise since it started, and when they lost the rights, they got pushed aside in favor of characters from the current Marvel movies

Lets see what Black Panther does, I feel like that and Avengers 3 is when it will all go to complete shit with no redeeming qualities.

do you think rights are somehow preservable by capcom's own sole volition? do you understand licensing at all?

last i read, the whole fox thing was because ike perlmutter of marvel was an angry man at fox

>Release the perfect fanservice Marvel game in 2011
>Follow it up with a significantly uglier game with characters that nobody wants to play and give fans the middle finger
>Meanwhile DBZ comes out with the perfect fanservice game and makes mahvel obsolete

I'm sure Marvel would licence the brandas a whole if they got a huge bid like EA with Star Wars, but there is only so much you can do with super hero games, they all have to be beat-em-ups in some form whereas Star Wars fits every action oriented genre.

The only reason I'm even interested in CTB is P4U. The fact that it has an insane DLC schedule has killed a lot of my interest.

I really wish Atlus would get with the program and port their shit to PC. P4U is about the only Arc fighter left that I don't have on Steam.