How did it make grinding so addictive?

How did it make grinding so addictive?

It was a popular MMO so after you grinded you could show off to other players. Also you could take a break from grinding and do some quests, which are among the best in all RPGs (not just MMOs).

There was actually things to look forward to and they even let you see it when you click the skill. Rune looked cool as hell but then you saw dragon and really wanted that. That's just equipment. And mainly because quests required it sometimes.

It's highly rewarding also this

We were young.

>tfw 24 and literally can't play for a month without getting the urge to bot

If you see grinding as still acceptable, you are a huge loser.

Man this game doesn't even have yanderlan, I understan this boy named sam slammed this pile of dookiedook on top of a big old roof. Man how are you going to press the buttons on this piece of nothing but gingerbad lad

the grind was still too fucking long though, was always confused how people had 200 mil xp then I found out about botting and neetdom

You were 12.

>Normal MMO quest
These Grizzling's are such pests! they've been terrorizing the townsfolk and nothing can get done! Would you mind going out and killing a few of them for us? I'll reward you handsomely.

>Runescape Quest
Ah! Adventurer, I DO have a quest for you! You see we've had an infestation of Grizzlings recently, they've been a bloody bother to the whole city is in disarray from their gobsmackery! Word is their leader, Grizzbald the Accursed, has been amassing a grand army to level the whole city to dust so that he and his warriors can build their capital on top of the ruins! We have to do something fast! Lexar Chillstrom is the head of the icy library, and he claims to know some weakness in the grizzling forces, take this seal of the king to him as prove that you are an emissary of the kingdom and see what you can do to aid him in his research! Farewell brave warrior, the fate of our land rests in your hands!

It wasn't though. It was tedious as fuck, especially considering how ridiculous the exp requirements got at the higher levels. One of the good parts about Runescape quests is that they gave you exp boosts that avoided the need to grind certain stats.

I didn't even grind then. I have good taste in video games and have always hated MMOs.

Britain makes good games.

>If you see grinding as still acceptable, you are a huge loser.

This. Runescape has always been awful. Its just that when you were a kid you had no money so it was all you had.

Meanwhile in wow you get to do quests constantly until level cap whereas in runescape once youre done with a quest you have to grind for 10 hours until you get to do the next quest

I used a bot to grind levels while doing my homework. That way I was there the entire time in case of random events and I didn't waste my evening setting myself up for failure in school

its a matter of taste ultimately. I'd rather put in a bit of effort and have actually interesting quests as opposed to just constant kill x objectives

Incorrect. First of all, Runescape has a ton of quests so if you don't have the requirements to complete one quest you can just pick another. Secondly, quests give you bonus experience in stats which help you unlock the pre-requisites for other quests. A player can spend ages doing nothing but quests before they hit a wall where they need to grind a certain stat.

It didn't. grinding was boring then just like it is now. The difference was, back then you had a community, you know, actual PEOPLE to talk to. Now you have youtube and netflix to watch while you sit there and stare and wait for trees to fall or fish to get caught.

interesting map, enemies and rewards.

A clearly set out skill progression tree.
If you knew that from the start what the best weapon and armor you could make and at what level you will set a goal.
Then what keeps you hooked is how all the skills work towards making each skill easier to level in.
Eventually your skills become status symbols and the market becomes you end game.

while i do think it is a bit grindy i do love how a lot of the skills feed into one another like mining>smithing, woodcutting>fire making, fishing>cooking and so on

Honestly while grinding can be pretty shitty, I can say at least runescape in some odd skinner box fashion rewards heavily on it at least end game skilling/bossing stuff.

And if that doesn't really do it for you, the pvp community was actually pretty decent..

Current RS grinding is much easier since the focus shifted mostly to endgame content

this

I too enjoy killing 10 bears and then immediately farming 10 goblin dicks