About Doom 4's lore

Hey Sup Forums, I know I'm very late to the party but I never got to play this gem until I recently got it for my Switch.

Anyway, from what I understand, this Doomguy is the very same Doomguy from the original games, isn't he? If so, is the Doomguy from Doom 3 another random marine?

Doom thread, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GMmTrCnCMfI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There is one Hell. It can access any number of different universes.

The Doomguy from 1, 2, and 64 is the same as the one in Doom4. Doom 3 is a separate universe that Hell tried invading after Doomguy kicked their ass, only to lose to another, separate Doomguy.

Also commander keen is Doom Guys dad and he died in Hell.

But what about the Tomb of the Hero in Doom 3? I thought it was the very same tomb from which Doom guy emerges at the beginning of the game.

lol, really?

>this Doomguy is the very same Doomguy from the original games, isn't he?
Yes.
>If so, is the Doomguy from Doom 3 another random marine?
Yes.

Doom 4's lore implies that there is an infinite number of universes that all share a common connection point through Hell. Doom 3 and 4 take place in different universes from the originals, but Doomguy in Doom 4 is the same Doomguy as in the originals, who has basically traveled through Hell from his old universe (since he decided to stay in Hell at the end of Doom 64) into a new one where the UAC had just been anal raped by Hell for the first time under different circumstances.

Doom 3 features a separate universe and a separate Doomguy, but is attacked by the same Hell, whose ultimate goal is to absorb every universe into itself (at least that's what is implied in 4's lore).

>not posting the best piece of lore
I expected more of Sup Forums

I'm not sure why people keep saying this, since the Martian tomb and Doomguy's tomb look nothing alike. The Martian tomb is for a separate, ancient Martian hero.

Well, no. Keen's dad is a talk show host. Keen and Doomguy are direct descendants of B.J. though, if Doom RPG is to be believed.

>Doom 1
>Kick hell's ass so hard all they can do is take it out on your rabbit like the little bitches they are
>Go back and stomp the dogshit out of them so fucking hard they seal off hell and rethink their choices
>Doom 2
>Try to make the whole world into hell
>Doomguy ain't having none of this, kicks the shit out of hell itself
>Doom 3
>Alternate universe, don't worry about it
>Doom 4
>FUCK IT
>JUST FUCK IT
>THIS GUY IS AWESOME HE'S OUR GOD NOW
>Hell is split into two factions, those who worship you, and those who are afraid of you

Not him but yeah. Wolfenstein is BJ Blaskowitz, Commander Keen is canonically BJ Blaskowitz III or IV or something like that, and then Doomguy is BJ Blaskowitz the IV or V (depending on who Keen was)

>want to make fun of people for caring about a Doom game's lore
>D44M actually has good lore
This game turned out so much better than anyone expected.

>playing switch doom
>get to weapon upgrade drone
>can't move to select upgrade
>go into start menu
>can't move around menu to put points in weapons/armor
For any of you on the fence about getting the Switch version for the portability, it's not worth it.

Sequel when? Bit of a sequel hook there

I know what you're talking about. It's a hardlock to the menus caused by OTHER GAMES updating. You have to hard reboot the Switch itself to fix it. Hilariously, somehow you're also banned for years from multiplayer because of the glitch. That and the fucking BWAAAAAAAAA from the sound levels jumping all over to maintain framerate are what really sucks about this port.

That being said I don't mind it too much and finished it anyway. I like Doom 4, and I can play it comfy cozy in bed.

So the multiplayer is just doomguys from different universes killing each other?

If you absolutely must have a explanation, then sure.

Probably next year.
Multiplayer is a simulation, iirc.

>go to mess around with Doom 4's arcade mode after almost a year of not touching the game
>the audio is all fucked up and crackly
>manage to fix the crackling, but find out that now the game's audio levels are now all screwed up, with groups of sounds being weirdly flat and others being incredibly quiet for some reason
>apparently this issue arose with the latest patch and there have been no news of any more patches since
What the hell, id.

How does one human do this to hell? How can one man possibly make hell scared of him? Isn’t that pretty much impossible without powers of some sort?

Do you think we will ever fight the Betrayer?

The Seraphim gave Doomguy powers or something like that. Who the fuck is the Seraphim, you may ask, well, I have no clue either.

A Seraphim is a high ranking angel, although in the meta sense it could be the player giving power to the Doomguy by controlling him

>if Doom RPG is to be believed.

How is it though? Would you recommend Doom RPG?

Everything is possible if you have enough hate, user. And Doomguy really hates demons.

youtube.com/watch?v=GMmTrCnCMfI

This is my favourite song to rip and tear too.

>this gem
>dOOd
>gem

Ok, from what I understand the Doomguy is the same one from 1, 2, and 64 in that order. After that he seals the portals to hell with himself still inside and goes around raping demon ass until he gets trapped in the sarcophagus we see him in at the beginning.
The whole angel/Seraphim thing is from another dimension. The realm Hell conquered before Earth was a place called Argent D'Nur, which was protected by it's own squad of badass Doomguys. However, the war was going on way too long and one of them lost a son, prompting him to sell out the realm in exchange for "peace" and his son back. Predictably, the demons fuck this guy over and enslave the other Doomguys, draining them for energy (which is the source of Argent energy). Traitor Doomguy swears revenge for the treachery and it's then implied he's either reincarnated as our Doomguy or simply oversaw his rampage in Hell and gave him the Praetor suit and the ability to control argent energy

He fucking HATES demons. That's it. He's powered by pure, unrelenting loathing for these things. He does it so well some fuck actually offered to free him from Hell, but Doomguy said no, and so the random guy gave him a special suit powered by the fucking energy demons have. So as he kills, it powers him to kill even more.

Yeah, the implication is that the Betrayer is the one that gave Doomguy his shit. But otherwise you nailed it.

you might have posted the best piece of lore

but i cant read it so who knows

In stunning 400p

Argent energy is fucking insane.

We need the Doomguy in Smash

>pictureforants.jpeg

t..thanks user, very thoughtful of you.

I like this, IDDQD

Deepest lore redpill:
In addition to being the same Doomguy from previous games, the Doom Slayer is you, the player, back when you were playing DOOM in the 90s and the Night Sentinels are the bros you'd LAN with.

Fuck off, contrarian. Doom 4 is an excellent game.

"Need" is a strong word user. It's not to be used so lightly.

That said, we fucking need Doomguy in Smash Bros.

If we can have Snake is Smash, I see no reason why Doomguy can't be in Smash.

aside from the fact that ripping and tearing would be ridiculously underwhelming with an E10+/T rating

Doomguy is a baka gaijin character and lacks global* appeal.

*Japanese

While I do agree with you guys, Doomguy is an iconic character who actually deserves a spot.

He is the same doomguy from 1 and 2 in the same way that John Stalvern is the doomguy from 1 and 2.

Doomguy has history and an important spot in the vidya Hall of Fame as the father of a genre, but he lacks the global popularity of Cloud, Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc. and their franchises. Also Bayonetta is their I guess. Maybe if Bethesda/Id called up Nintendo and were really persistent about it.

my position on the matter is, I couldn't give less of a fuck if Doomguy gets into SSB, **BUT** instead I want the new Quake to be the SSB of FPSes. it already has all the id staples you'd want, now just throw in
>Duke
>Master Chief
>Gordon Freeman
>Adrian Shephard
>Joanna Dark
>Lo Wang
>Malcom and maybe some robots from UT
and so forth. imo this plus making it f2p on Steam might get people to actually play it

Fucking this, every five minutes some loud and mechanical noise would play in the game, glad I'm not the only one it happened to.
It scared the shit out of me everytime it happened.

I'd play this but I think it being F2P would hurt the game

2016 is a new timeline

Hell is a dimension outside time and space, imagine the Dark Dimension from Dr. Strange movie. It just exists and can interact with other universes at any point in time. You can have infinite DoomGuys from any point in time.

Am I gonna have to make the same lore thread from yesterday to fix your shit again?

Not him but please do

Yeah, but it is the same doomguy. Did you even play the game?

He fucking HATES niggers. That’s it. He’s powered by pure, unrelenting loathing for these things. He does it so well some kike actually offered to free hin from uganda, but Doomguy said no, and so the kike gave him a special suit powered by kfc. So as he kills, it powers him to kill even more.

FOR FUCK SAKES, I just did 2 threads on Doom's lore yesterday. Alright fuck nuts, papa Doom Sayer is here to tell the story of Doom, again. With Quake.

Doom1- In the far off year of fuck you, the UAC (Union Aerospace Corporation) sets up R&D labs on Mars's moons Phobos and Deimos. Their main thing is inter-dimensional teleporting, the bullshit in interstellar to make shortcuts in space. Well they fucked up and made a portal to Hell in the process. Demons invade, people die, Women burned, and walls raped. Got so bad, fucking Deimos got sucked into Hell, like fully gone into it, a fucking moon in Hell. Doom Guy/You, are incarcerated on Mars cause you punched the shit out of a commanding officer for ordering civies to be shot. Other marines hear shit going down and go to invesitage Phobos, and die (except 1, but later story). Doom Guy is released and wants out but can't fly a ship, so goes to Phobos and punches all demons till he dies. But death sucks so you wale up on Deimos and punch every demon you find till you find SpiderDemon who started the invasion. you blow it's fucking brains over the wall, blow up the portals in Hell, and find a portal to Phobos, grab a ship, and fly to Earth.

Doom 2- While flying to Earth, it is being invaded by demons and the spacestation trying to evacuate people is being overrun. So you go in and punch everything, saving civies. Only to find the main invasion started in your hometown, you go and find that they killed Daisy, your pet bunny. So you are FUCKING PISSED, and punch all demons, go into hell, punch everything, and blow up the Icon of Sin who started the invasion. Go back to hometown with portals closed.

Doom64- Fucking Demons can't stop fucking things up. They invade a satellite station over Earth and you are pissed. So you go there, punch EVERYTHING, go to Hell, PUNCH ALL, but so pissed off that Doom Guy decides to stay in Hell to forever punch demons.

>sam hayden teleports doom slayer to the quake universe

What about DOOM 3 and D44M?

During this time, Doom Guy was going around to punch all Demons, they try to send him all the demons they could, even a giant Titan, and Doom Guy punched the shit out of all of them. So he chases demons to any time they go, any universe, and any dimension. This means doom wads, Quake 3 arena (where Phobos marine went), doom rpg, etc... At this time, Argent D'nuir gets sucked into Hell where they are medieval like planet, So Doom Guy went in ad saved them, they crowned him king

Working on it.

>Quake Champions
He did.

They've basically made all WADs canon as well.
>Hdoom is canon

Exactly

Since DoomGuy is King, he trains them up to kill demons and upgrade their tech with his like Ash did in Army of Darkness. In return, they combined tech, Hell Magic, and medieval stuff to make Doom Guy a sword (the crucible), some type of shield, and a new suit since his was ripped up and stained with demon guts. But one of the knights had their kid kidnapped by a demon priest. So the knight betrayed the group by lowering the defenses and killed the other knights, leading Doom Guy away from Argent D'Nuir and into a trap. They knocked a fucking templ over on Doomguy to knock him out, then stripped him and locked him in a sarcophagus, with warning signs/ text/ even death kiosks, to warn "DO NOT OPEN, OR YOU GET PUNCHED". And the betrayer did get his kid back, but the priest turned the kid into the Icon of Sin and sent back in time where Doom Guy killed him.

Always been disappointed with how Sup Forums regards doom 3. The guy is still. Marine that kings a lot of ass. It has an extremely lived in universe and its very creative and original...much like the originals

Doom3- New Universe, the UAC goes to Mars to study ancient martian civilization, try to make teleporters, but with the twist of actually trying to steal shit from Hell. Well no shit, Hell invades with no Doom Guy to stop them. While killing and rapping, a security officer marine gets pissed off and w/wo his flashlight, goes to kill the Demons and try to survive. He fights, passing tablets and on relics of martians and a marine using a cube thing to stop demons, so he goes to Hell and finds this soul Cube in a tomb to close the portals, but then gets killed by Doctor turned Demon Malcolm Betruger.

Doom RoE-Months after the portals were shut, Demons invade Mars and Phobos (soul cube sucked shit). You are an engineer marine this time and fight demons/ try to survive. You fight demons, pushing them back to Phobos then into Hell, where you collected an artifact called The Artifact. Demons want it something fierce. They chase you further in till you encounter Demon Betruger, where you shove it down his throat and blow up all portals. But awaken in a UAC facility somewhere.

Really, none of the new Doom games are connected to the others. Doom 1 and 2 go together. Doom 3 was a reboot. Doom was another reboot. You can make loose connections and assumptions as to how they fit together, but really, they are just retellings of similar stories.

Doom 4- JESUS FUCK the UAC just can't stop Fucking with Mars and Hel, they actually go in deeper to get more relics and steal Hell and Argent D'Nuir mixed abortion fuck energy. And this time, most of UAC is Hell worshippers, trying to combine Demons with tech and turn humans into demons to live in Hell. Of course, only Demons can be king of Hell so they invade Mars. Sam then wakes up Doom Guy to go clean up his mess. DoomGuy/you are PISSED, for daisy, cause betrayer fucked you over, demons knocking you out, and that you had a really good dream...of punching demons. So you punch demons, destroy UAC base, fight Hell again, get your sword again, freeing souls of Knight bros, and finding a new SpiderDemon doing this invasion. So you blow it's brains all over Hell. Then Samuel hayden sucks you out of Hell just to steal your sword and send you to fuck knows where.

QUAKE 1- The governments of the world pool their resources to come up with teleporters called slipgates to send people and cargo anywhere with ease. Well one gets hijacked by an elder god old one (lovecraft shit here) called Shub-Niggurath, code named QUAKE. She is sending in monsters and demons from her dimension to Earth, stealing marines and surgically altering their brains to be her slaves. Earth is like fuck and gets a crew together at a creepy as fuck castle where the hijacked slipgate is. But Quake knew they were coming and attacked first. Only 1 marine is left alive and free, the Ranger/you are pissed and fight your way through the castle to get to the slipgate to kill Quake, only to find that it is on the "fritz" and takes you to other dimensions and magical locations. Quake is controlling the slipgate to use you to get the runes of Earth, Black Magic, Hell, and Elder God dimensions to make her inconceivably powerful. But she didn't count on you being stronger than her, and she blows up.

Is it worth getting this on Switch or should I go with the PC version instead?

Doom 64 is the real Doom 3