RPG settings

What do you guys think of this comparison?

>What do you think of this tierlist with cherrypicked examples
What do you think of this 5?

>purposefully missing shit like Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire and SMT

I prefer Western games too user, but you're cherry picking, the amount of D&D fantasy games we've produced like Baldur's and Dragon Age is ridiculous

I think the point the OP was making that WRPG's do a better job of utilizing their setting than JRPG's.

The Persona games for example don’t even let you explore the intrigue of an urban fantasy setting; for the gameplay sections they just teleport you to another dimension that literally consists of a maze filled with monsters. Despite taking place in modern times, the characters use medieval weaponry, which civilians are inexplicably willing to sell to a bunch of teenagers. You heal deadly injuries with candy. Despite the occult theme, the spells and abilities you use are just cookie cutter elemental JRPG spells. There's no effort whatsoever made to create a believable urban fantasy setting that reconciles the fantastical with the mundane. The game feels schizophrenic in tone, jumping back and forth between Japanese teenage highschool drama and high fantasy dungeon crawler. It's like the developers wanted to create an urban fantasy setting, but didn't want to do any of the hard work necessary.

Compare that to something like Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines which wholly utilizes its modern-day setting in every aspect of its gameplay and narrative. For example, since you're a vampire, healing (aside from biting enemies/NPC's obviously) is done by consuming blood bags, which you can get by having an employee at the local hospital smuggle them out for you. The weapons you use aren't medieval, but modern ones like firearms and improvised tools like tire irons and baseball bats, and the people who sell weapons to you are criminal fencers. The game takes place in urban locales, not some abstract dimension, and NPC's will panic and alert the cops if you reveal your vampiric nature in public, and being careless too often will eventually make vampire hunters come hunt you down. Instead of generic elemental spells, you hack computers and use vampiric disciplines such as mental domination or a mist form which renders you invisible.

Actually, WRPG's as a whole tend to have much more unique settings than JRPG's, and far less of a reliance of D&D-like fantasy. It's just that most of those titles are old PC games and since most gamers grew up playing on consoles, they're mostly unknown.

>no phantasy star
lolz

Are you blind? It's on the very bottom row, right next to what was probably its principal inspiration.

It's interesting that when it comes to jrpg's utilizing their setting, pokemon is one of the better examples.

What setting? We're talking about a universe where it's considered perfectly normal for children to drop out of school and roam the land to capture and torture dangerous animals with the end goal of making them fight other dangerous animals to win prize matches and become rich and famous. Pokemon's whole setting is a joke and impossible to take seriously.

Pretty accurate, JRPG's seem to have lots of teams of high-school-teenagers fighting Gods with cute girls and complete random shit happening all the time.
But that's also what makes 'm funny.

Shit, no wonder I love JRPGs, science fantasy is my favourite setting by far.

Is this copypasta? I've seen this same reply in this same bait thread last week.

Science fantasy is probably my favorite setting too, but I would hardly use JRPG's as a good example of the genre. Good science fantasy is something like Dune, where the fantasy and sci fi complement each other to create a coherent setting. Japanese RPG's just have robots and spaceships alongside medieval-type societies for no logical reason. It isn't even really science fantasy, just disparate high fantasy and sci-fi concepts mashed together with no rhyme or reason.

Thank you for reminding me why i love JRPG's

first of: the fact that you can get rich and famous with pokemon battles, given it's modern/very near future setting, is completely logical.
Remember your character isn't supposed to be the regular joe, you're the new upcoming sports star on his journey to become world champion, getting filthy rich in the process is completely and utterly accurate to real life.
Also there's a lot of things like how the places of healing aren't typical inns or so but rather state-funded medical centers, the various critters suitable for such tasks are being utilized in an industrial and recreational settings, the items ingame being produced by a select few technological/pharmaceutical giants and with how dangerous the animals can be, teaching your children to raise one for self-defense from an early age is once again a very consistent feature.

Weaboos. Weaboos never change.

+1 for using End of the Millenium
-1 for Jagged Alliance in an RPG chart

Wow, jrpgs are fucking terrible

>Implying i don't play WRPG too

Never change Sup Forums

>The Persona games
I hate JRPGs but using iredeemable cancer like Persona isn't really representative.
Any subhuman who enjoys Persona is an manchild stuck in "edgy teenager" phase.

Gonna have to be a bit more specific. Persona 1 and 2 were completely different kind of games compared 3 and onward with their high school simulator vibe.

Motherfucker, have you even played Jagged Alliance 2? It has a world with towns you can explore, NPC's to interact with, side quests to do, party members with their own personality who get stronger as they gain experience,, weapon and armor and other types of equipment and the best turn-based combat ever implemented in a game.

If Jagged Alliance 2 is not an RPG, I don't know what is.

>Persona 1 and 2
Completely forgot about those two. Not cancer, but still pretty bland and mediocre.
this guy knows

Only played Persona 3 but if it was anything, it wasn’t edgy.

I think that the biggest difference is (generally speaking) that that western games (and scifi/fantasy overall) puts more emphasis on world building and japanese games put the emphasis on characters. There are some rare cases where both are done with care but these are very rare. It's mostly just a matter of what you care about more, usually character based stuff works better from a storytelling pov but that hasn't stopped me from loving good worldbuilding when I see it

Overall these east vs west are dumb as fuck and don't even concentrate on the real differences

not edgy as in Hatred, but more Hot Topic

No dark half, metal max returns, inindo, FfVi ...

>2018
>People still getting succesfully baited by these threads

It's been posted before yes, but it makes good points.

Quick, name a character from a WRPG

There are a shitload of JRPGs that start out medieval and then surprise flying castles and robots and scifi shit out of nowhere for no reason at all. 90% medieval fantasy with an ancient civilizations with supertech asspull at the very end annoys me to no end.
But then there are games which manage to mix sci-fi and fantasy from the very beginning and are much less annoying. I'm thinking of Phantasy Star and Star Ocean series, both of which establish the existence of spaceships immediately at the very start. The settings may still be incoherent messes but at least they're not super fucking stupid.

It's a tactics game. Same as, say, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fallout Tactics, or Shining Force. All of which have everything you listed, except the best turnbased combat ever. That title goes to Battle Isle 4 Incubation.
If you still disagree and claim everything I've listed is an RPG, too, then okay whatever we've got very different definitions here.

>steampunk fantasy
I still don't understand how a genre as generally terrible as steampunk somehow managed to spawn one of the greatest videogame settings ever in the form of Arcanum
real shame we'll never see another work in that setting again

Its nice to see an RPG thread on Sup Forums pretty rare nowadays

It's not a tactics game. Tactical RPG's are a distinctly Japanese concept, since turn-based RPG's made in the west already let you move on a grid without needing to spin off in a separate subgenre. As I pointed out, Jagged Alliance 2 isn't just a series of battles like other tactics game, it's way more fleshed out and bigger in scope than even many traditional RPG's.

Mother and Earthbound are better examples, and were probably an inspiration for Pokemon considering they shared a development studio.

given that red and green/blue contain a bunch of direct references, that's not much of a guess

How's it different from Fallout Tactics?

>PS:T
>High Fantasy
Nigger what are you doing

Anyway what tf are you doing giving a damn about genre for

PS:T is about as high fantasy as you get
in case you forget that the setting is a giant donut shaped city floating at the center of the various metaphysical manifestations of good and evil

Even if he's using the autistic definition it still counts.

kill yourself tastle tbhsmhfam

Fuck you and fuck your pasta, this is just as retarded as the last time you posted it.

It's completely open-world, you can go anywhere you want at any time. There is no strict mission structure like there is in other tactics games. There are many towns and many NPC's to interact with. Party members have more personality than in any tactics game I can think of. There are some light strategy aspects related to training militia and securing enough funding to liberate the country, mostly through freeing towns and taking over their mines as a source of income.

You know, I dissected this when it was posted before and got ignored so I'm not even going to bother. Kindly get cancer and never post again.

Would you mind doing it again? I'm curious about the rebuttal to be honest with you.

Um, Fallout 1 is actually Post-Nuclear, sweetie.

Same, I'm kind of interested.

I think someone got very butthurt over that other image comparing WRPG to JRPG settings that says "Tolkien fantasy/star wars fantasy" for every game on the WRPG side.

I only like modern and sci-fi RPG settings and absolutely hate fantasy ones because they are filled with shitty villages full of stinky and dirty peasants why everyone loves them is beyond me. I would really like to play more RPGs because when done right they are my favourite genre but shame 90 % of them is garbage fantasy ones.

qualty post thanks mate

If they got butthurt, it was for good reason. I remember that image and it was incredibly dishonest. Either it was deliberate trolling or it was made by someone who grew up playing console JRPG's and whose only exposure to western RPG's were games like Skyrim and Dragon Age.

It's clearly a riff on a similar picture that's been floating around that has them reversed with the West being all "Tolkien fantasy" or something

>PST
>Highfantasy
Wat

I miss Phantasy Star