What are some games that take a complete 180 and blindside you from everything you expect

What are some games that take a complete 180 and blindside you from everything you expect.
Specifically for example a traditional shooter that you think is a typical modern FPS that goes full on horror. Or a Pokemon level of cutesy rpg game that turns into a full on warzone.

Sorry for not being clear on what I'm trying to describe. I'm having a hard time trying to think of a good example of what I'm talking about.
Picture not related.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnexpectedGameplayChange
youtube.com/watch?v=ESCEixYoqqM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bloodborne

>oh cool im just finding werewolves in victorian london

Not to meme, but Doki Doki Literature Club did that. I think that game in particular was more of an ad campaign, but I appreciated what the developer tried to do.

Other than that, I haven't played any games that take a weird turn like that other than MGS2. I'd appreciate recommendations as well.

Obligatory "Spec Ops: The Line" post.

Frog Fractions and it's sequel.

Never played em though.

Brtual Legend pulled this on players, game starts off as a casual beat-em-up and then turns RTS.

Bomberman 2nd Attack or something is a 3D single player bomberman adventure, but then you start collecting monsters and suddenly you are just trying to collect-em-all.

Sonic Adventure 2 is actually a thinly veiled Chao breeding game where the action and story are only there to facilitate collecting items to feed to chao.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnexpectedGameplayChange

I'm sure there may be a better trope page to feature these but this is a taste of when a game suddenly changes genre.

I dunno, maybe E.Y.E?

Hatoful Boyfriend. Game starts as a pigeon dating visual novel. Game turns full horror story if you replay the game and choose a specific choice at the start of the game.

Oh look, towards the bottom of that page's description is the genre shift pages where it is what you are asking.

Sorry for killing discussion but we may as well just read that whole site now instead of talking.

Plot wise, Pathologic and STALKER. Hell Pathologic fits gameplay wise as well come to think of it.

obligatory kys reply

Too deep for you?

more like too shallow, predictable and overrated

I want to acknowledge the fact that you listed my two favorite games of all time, but both games are relatively clear about their goals from the start. That said, you will NEVER forget your first time through Lab X18.

I just started playing Pathologic a bit ago.

Pretty lost after first talking to Aspity.

obligatory suck a nigger dick, cuck

>both games are relatively clear about their goals from the start
Not really in my opinion.
Pathologic pulls a gameplay shift from the second day onwards and if you aren't smart/a greedy kike you are fucked since you have to face much harder enemies just in order to afford something to eat. And that's not even touching the third ending or Clara.

The reveal in STALKER the part where the zone is actually sort of man-made is sort of genre shifting, and came as a surprise to me.

Don't worry lad, it gets much, much worse.

this

also, Metal Gear Solid 2
so fucking hard MGS2
well, it is & it isnt

wadanohara and the great blue sea

Brutal Legend

everyone thought it was a hack'n'slash
its a fucking RTS game

>pigeon dating visual novel
lmao what

>pigeon dating visual novel
come again?

Spec ops: The line

You're a human. Who dates sentient pigeons. Started as a joke, then was developed into a full fledged game. Has a sequel of sorts.

>being this fucking new
goddamn

>You're a human. Who dates sentient pigeons
naturally
but you got me curious
how & why exactly does it turn into a horror game?

Once you find out that when the credits end, you were only halfway through the game, and proceed to get major plot twists thrown at you throughout the 2nd half

You'll have to play the game to find out.
Alt-route starts with you finding the severed head of the character you play in the base game in a box.

Boi, don't tell me you don't know about the printers one

The general gameplay of Pathologic remains the same--defend yourself, loot, strafewalk, and search in vain for concrete answers. The notorious price hike is a really great way of forcing you to make use of these early on. I'd chalk that up to one of the few good game design moments but hardly a tonal shift. The various "third parties" arriving present a much bigger shift in the day-to-day workings of the town. Day Fucking Eleven is still one of the most stressful things I've ever experienced.
I can't comment on the spoiler since I played the original translation and that run is legitimately incomprehensible in it, and this is coming from someone who has spent fucking forever aligning the puzzle pieces of the game's story in my head. I'll finish the game in Classic HD with the more competent translation when my computer parts arrive later this week.
STALKER's "reveal" is extremely low impact for me because first of all it's it's at the end of the game and the only thing left is a railroaded rooty tooty point and shooty section, and second of all it didn't really seem to matter in the grand scheme of things. It's never addressed again, and is one of the weakest links of an already weak story.

Wolfenstein:The New Order

the first half of the game is just your average CoD...
but when the guy hits his head, the game does a 180° turn...
some user described it really good, but I don't find the pasta, and I can't describe it good...
does someone know what I'm talking about?

The fist time I played I was murdered by the hawk clan. Faggots.

I loved that about STALKER and what's happening with the Zone. Really helped me get into the game.

I also shot some stupid root-looking fellow who started trying to punch me. In the face.

Lots of modern games do this, like CS:GO, TF2, Overwatch and SW:BF2:
Start as fps, end as gambling addiction

i guess my "weird japanese fetish dating simulator"-proficiency is a bit rusty
please tell me about THE PRINTERS ONE????

lol

Nice

kys normalfag

If we're talking less thematic blindsides and more "you thought you beat the game but weren't even fucking close," then it's worth bringing up Okami and Kid Icarus Uprising

>The name of the game is Koi Suru Brother-kun, translated as “The Loving Brother (printer)”. This game puts you at a high school setting, where Bro-dan the printer has just moved in and transferred in the main character’s school. It’s then up to the player to see how this romantic story would go through and end.

ok that seriously made me laugh
fucking hell i might just play it
who.... why......? fetishism?

if we tell you what games do that, doesnt that remove the surprise

It's made by the Brother Printer company as a way to advertise their products. It's a small joke game that you can play in your browser.

oh
well
thats kinda clever
and makes more sense
"printer dating game fetish" just seems too specific for there to be a market for it

Actually the general gameplay of Pathologic gets introduced only in about day 2, that's kind of what the twist is. The fact that the plague is very real and stupidly good at killing people is merely the cherry on top of the shit cake.

>The various "third parties" arriving present a much bigger shift in the day-to-day workings of the town
Ah yes, the pleasure of being cooked alive.

>I'll finish the game in Classic HD with the more competent translation when my computer parts arrive later this week
Classic HD runs well even on iGPU toasters mate.

>it didn't really seem to matter in the grand scheme of things
Have you played Call of Pripyat? In that game the Zone gets even worse than it was in SoC.

I've been using a laptop for years, this will be my first pc build ever. Couldn't even run original Deus Ex on my laptop, to give you an idea of its capabilities.
I didn't like Call of Pripyat. The changes to the gameplay/UI were really major to me and mostly not for the best. Somehow the story/world is EVEN WORSE than the first game. But beyond all of that, how am I supposed to believe the Zone is worsening/spreading if I'm not even allowed to be exposed to its worst horrors? The piss easy difficulty completely took me out of the game and the lack of the frantic setpieces like Chernobyl and the first Agroprom assault made me feel like I was being handled with kiddy gloves. Lab x-8, while it had a lot of nice nooks and crannies, was a terrible standin for X18. Pripyat Underground is the coolest level of the game and somehow still feels underutilized. That's my rant on CoP, I just feel really bad about where the STALKER series ended up going.

>accidentally ate shmowder
Time to redo an hour's worth of shit

The points you bring about CoP are all pretty fair actually. The writing is kind of shit in some aspects and the difficulty is definitely laughable, but I feel like the atmosphere is still there, and I also think that mods that increase the difficulty actually show how fucked the zone is supposed to be by then. Especially because your best efforts actually make so that the zone gets even worse.

fucking MGS2 went full retard at the end.

Expecting me to listen to an AI who was glitching out and before that lying to me?

Vampire The Msquerade. Redemption, not Bloodlines.

You start out playing in a medieval fantasy setting, then something happens in the story and you wake up in present day where you can use uzis and miniguns on top of the swords and magic from earlier in the game. Blew my mind when I played it the first time.

inb4 someone says "it was a different AI", it sued the same avatar as the previous one and it also lies. How was I supposed to know it was telling the truth at that point

>You know them as Shades

That was actually a cool twist back then.

Was a struggle to run it on my 800MHz Athlon and Voodoo 3 2000 PCI though.

Atmosphere and music was still good. It's the gameplay and environments that were lacking. I don't need a great story in STALKER beyond "fetch this, kill that guy, follow your mentally unstable dreams" etc.
Modding is where the games shine, I would agree. I intend to try out mods for CoP someday, but I've been playing Joint Pak 2 almost daily for months now. I don't ever want to play a shooter that doesn't have the full Arsenal Overhaul gun pack in it ever again

Eh, I think that the worst offenders were the way enemies and anomalies are distributed really. The zone feels like a shitty amusement park in CoP because of that.

>I don't ever want to play a shooter that doesn't have the full Arsenal Overhaul gun pack in it ever again
That one weapon pack is particuarly disgusting in my opinion given that I really value consistency above all else. Maybe one day Gunslinger will actually come out.

Consistency can eat a dick for all I care, I am all for collecting dozens upon dozens of gun types and learning who to sell them to to maximize profit and learning a bit about real guns in the process.
Special weapons also add a huge layer of progression to the mod. One reason SHOC isn't that playable in the open world postgame is that there's no impetus to return to the areas you've already gone to. The quests are fucking lame, and the rewards are worse. OP2 has a million unique artifacts/armor/guns that actually feel like appropriate rewards because they come with actual usable gameplay bonuses.
When I picked up this gun after a really difficult quest, I thought to myself "hmm, where have I seen this before?" and it wasn't until like weeks later I realized it was the rifle that they based RE4's semiauto off of

>he removes himself from Sup Forums for a whole day because he is too weak to resist tv tropes
>tfw i've done the same thing before
have fun fgt

Eversion is just a cute little platformer, til it gets even cuter!

Gameplay wise Brutal Legend remains fucking king.

The original Crysis kind of counts. It's a build-up so you know it's coming, but the feel and play of the game change significantly in a short period of time.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - starts as essentially a sequel to the first, just a generic Action RPG with spells and shit, then after the first ~hour becomes a castle siege simulator where you take over fortresses with your army and warchiefs.

then after like 20 hours it becomes literally nonstop siege sim

That kind of reminds me how SMT 4 plays out. Although it's pretty obvious from the start.
Still cool as shit and definitely unexpected if it's your first entry in the series though. And the gameplay makes it feel like you "earned" that bait and switch cause of how fucking monstrous the first two bosses are in comparison.

>First half of game is the usual POWER OF FRIENDSHIP JRPG with a generic demon villain, though the characters have more depth than average
>Second half of the game everything goes to shit, with your kind mentor and adoptive father having made a pact with a lovecraftian horror from beyond the stars to destroy the world to restore our earth, which he destroyed in a bid for immortality thousands of years ago
>You make a temporary alliance with the demon lord to stop him and the penultimate chapter and push to the last dungeon is a bloodbath with side characters, party members, bros, waifus and even the fucking gods including the horror from beyond the stars getting butchered left and right until it’s just you and a few other characters left for the final dungeon.

>Starts off as just some combat flight game with good cinematics
>End up fulfilling the prophecy of a medieval war demon by ending the Cold War through the power of music

more

s???

brutal legend's gameplay is complete shit in both modes

Not exactly what you're looking for, but saints row 4 changes itself up consistently through the game.
>text adventure
>side scrolling beat em up
>gameplay from the first 2 games
>turret sections
>unique vehicle sections
>zombie level
>giant monster battle as tall as buildings
Bunch more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Brutal Legend

Sorry, I didn't take any more goofy screenshots of the game. Everything else is just boring economic domination. Play the game if you like the screenshots, it feels very much like a 90s game and in a good way.

I've tried to play Pathologic before but never finished day one. I usually wind up dying or just getting too confused to keep going.

There's no shame in using the PDF guide that's floating around the internet. The game's requirements for you are often obscure as shit, and not just because of bad translation. You can easily miss the free revolver on day 1 thanks to the maze-like nature of the town (I definitely did). I'd say pick it up again if you have Classic HD, pirate it if you don't but it's always good to support IPL. The remake looks like it'll be much more polished, but it won't have that wonderfully surreal cobbled-together feeling of the original.

Crysis kind of does this, and I wish it didn't.

When you beat the story of black ops 1 out of nowhere you become JFK or Castro and start blasting CIA zombies in the Pentagon. It's quite a shock if you weren't expecting it.

Someone already mentioned Frog Fractions, but that's pretty much exactly what you described.

this but WaW
>beat the story
>cutscene starts and you're thrown into a cramped space with little idea of what the fuck is going on
youtube.com/watch?v=ESCEixYoqqM there will never be anything like this

Call of Cthulhu - Plays it straight as a horror adventure game for the first 1/4th, then turns into a shooter.

Bloodrayne - Comes off as a straight pulpy hack and slash exploitation, until "they" show up.

Mount and Blade series - Comes off as a large scale action RPG, is actually a large-scale multiplayer game.

Far Cry Primal - Thought of as "far cry with cavemen" but ends up being a brutally immersive survival game that becomes unrecognizable to the series its originally inspired from.

Muv-Luv is the definition of this, to the point where it's impossible to discuss it without inevitably talking about the genre switch in Part 2. Maybe you could blindside people with it in 2003, but it's near-impossible these days that someone would find out about the twist the way it was originally intended.