How did you feel about the changes the 3DS version made?

How did you feel about the changes the 3DS version made?

fine with all changes, fine with owl statues, fine with bosses having eyes
EXCEPT the textures being so bright and killing the moody murky atmosphere the original had

and I was disappointed that we didn't get any orchestrated tracks like we did in OOT3D

and it needs to be put on the switch, the 3ds's tiny little screen is not optimal for a big adventure like ocarina or majora

Some were good but some were bad.

I prefer the lighting of the original but the remake offers a lot of good QoL improvements, both are good games
My only big criticism of the remake is giving bosses big dumb eyes as weakpoints, it was really unnecessary

it's fine, it ties them all together as being controlled by majora's mask, the eyes are the most prominent feature
it's better than just fighting some random mechanical bull in an ice cavern for no reason

and eye weakspots are a staple of zelda games

*salty post about the eye on bosses without realising every fight became more interesting, specially the fish*

>EXCEPT the textures being so bright and killing the moody murky atmosphere the original had
They probably did that to make it easy to see the game on a 3.5" 240p screen.

only two things I HATED

1st is you get the magic upgrade first, kills the flow of the game. This is kind of autistic nit picking, but it really gave me the red ass

2nd, and this is the most unforgivable, is gimping the Zora swim controls. Anytime swimming is introduced to a game it's usually the worst part of the game; this game actually made swimming FUN and was the best part of the game for me and they fucked it up for no reason.

Everything else is either better, acceptable, or neutral.

Basically this, I don't think it's better in every regard but I think it's a fine way to play it still.

>better than just fighting some random mechanical bull in an ice cavern for no reason
So instead you're fighting a mechanical bull....that has an eye?
The game tells you they're being controlled by Majora, it's pretty fucking obvious
>eye weakspots are a staple of zelda games
Not the good ones

Good:
>Much better models and textures, and improved lighting/particles that with 1 exception (great bay temple) preserve the atmosphere and for the most part still feels creepy
>Gyorg fight is better
>Doesn't make you rewatch the business scrub cutscene
>Better framerate
>Song of double time allowing you to choose specific times to fast foward to.
>Gyro arrow controls
>Fishing
>if you have a n3ds/xl, you have camera rotation/control via c nub

Neutral:
>The bombers notebook is a little less obtuse and more organic to use, but it's also a little too helpful.
>Likewise, the save system is less obtuse, but allowing you to save without it being attached to going back in timee also removes some of the stress the game is meant to invoke, but you can impose thee limit artificially anyways.
>Twinmold fight is different but not better or worse. Some people like the change, some don't.
>Bank placement is moved

Bad
>Odolwa fight was made very easy, especially with the deku mask.
>Ice arrows can't be used just anywhere anymore.
>Zora swimming less fun, which outweighs the benefit of easier control in tight spaces.
>Bombers notebook pops up automatically and takes a while to do so, is annoying
>You have to get out of rolling as goron to hit Goht, but this isn't nearrly as bad as Odolwa's change
>It's harder to use the Deku spin to go faster (super minor thing to count against it, but it's there)
>Great bay temple's atmosphere is changed due to less gritty textures and brighter lighting
Overall, it's about on par with the original, with most of the good chanages canceling out the bad ones and vis versa.

Overall the good and bad changes cancel each other out.

This image is cherrypicked, intentionally misleadiing trash

The only place this really happened is the Great Bay temple

I really hate all of them except for the graphics and fishing.

Most of the changes were bad.

I mostly agree with this, but the save system thing is still bullshit. It was purely based on hardware constraints and was not there to stress you out, the western N64 version was already way more lenient than the Japanese version's save system anyway.

The only way the original save system made things more tense is if the game crashed(like mine did twice as a kid) you were fucked out of hours of your life.

It wasn't though. It was very specifically there to stop you from save-scumming, because Link already has the ability to savescum in universe. Being able to reset the game to retry something totally undermines the premise of being able to reset time to try something again in a groundhog day loop.

Both the Japanese and western save systems were the result of hardware limitations. Why do you think there are 3 save files in the JP version and only 2 in the other? Even if that were true, is it worth punishing an innocent player like that to prevent people from playing a certain way? There are better ways to prevent save scumming.

They were ok. It wasn't a straight upgrade as OoT3D was, but it wasn't horrible.

About covers it pretty well.

You know what it didn't fix though? The boring ass dungeons. Woodfall is the most boring 1st dungeon in all of Zelda, Snowhead is either tedious if you fall or short as fuck if you don't, and Great Bay lets you work on auto-pilot as the pipes on the walls do all the thinking for you.

Not to mention how the Swamp Spider House is tedious as fuck due to the backtracking needed for bugs and water, how the Pirate Fortress is just an un-fun Gerudo fortress, and how Beneath the Well is the worst dungeon in any Zelda game.

So yeah, the remake is ok, but the original had a fuck ton of problems that the remake didn't care to even try to fix.

They ruined one of my favorite games ever. Aonuma must have a simplification and eye fetish because damn, not only was the game casualized, they added unneeded weaknesses to the bosses. No, I won't argue about the atmosphere or whatever, but I do find some of the gameplay changes to be stupid as well. From how slow deku link is to the "more accurate" controls for Zora swimming.

>only two things I HATED
>1st is you get the magic upgrade first, kills the flow of the game
this was the only thing that really bothered me. the stray fairies in the 1st dungeon were seriously easy mode and they were a challenge in the 2nd yet the double magic reward is far better than the improved spin attack so it feels really imbalanced
also no one ever mentions it but i liked how link wore shorts in the original

Instead of doing """""""qol""""""" changes, should have added content like a new dungeon or master quest. Instead we get one of the quintessential Nintendo cash grabs.

How about just fixing the already existing dungeons so they aren't shit?

They didn't affect the core game, but the remake itself fixed all the problems the original had, specially the save system and the minigames.

Thus the master quest. Give people who liked the original their brain dead time wasters but also something fresh. Then again knowing Nintendo that shit would be clear locked anyway.

I don't think you could realistically add a new dungeon to Majora's Mask. Everything feels pretty tightly laid out. Refining the original dungeons wouldn't be a bad idea.

Now, Wind Waker HD. That could have used the two or three dungeons that were cut out.

There could have been more side bonus dungeons ala Ikana Castle

I'd much rather they work on fixing the current dungeons than adding in more side dungeons.

That said, additional small ones would've been nice. I mean, the whole of the moon dungeon SHOULD have been separated into the mask's respective dungeons, so had each "trial" gotten more fleshed out in their own mini dungeon that would've been cool.

I don't really have much issue with MM's dungeons I just really wanted fresh content to explore in Termina. I do agree the moon dungeon should have been much more than what it ended up being though honestly that's one of my biggest gripes with the game

>The boring ass dungeons
What an awful opinion. Majora's Mask has the best dungeons out of all the 3D games, arguably with the exception of Twilight Princess. I'd like to hear which dungeons you prefer.

the new clock hud is super ugly compared to the neat looking n64 one

Yeah, it's nice that it takes up less of the screen but it looks so boring in comparison. Even just changing the color would have helped.