What real reasons are there for this not to be considered a fighting game?

What real reasons are there for this not to be considered a fighting game?

Wikipedias definition: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_game

"the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent, which can be either an AI or controlled by another player. The fight matches typically consist of several rounds and take place in an arena, while each character has widely differing abilities"

In what way are any of the Smash games not fighting games?

>and takes place in an arena

Because the fgc hates nintendo

smash bros is hella fun but its not a fighting game

FGC's putrid elitism even between themselves. Meleefags being cancerous and dislikeable as fuck and very simpleminded arguments to say it is a fighting game with gems like:

>Ryu is in it therefore it's a fighting game".

Why is it not a fighting game? By definition it's a fighting game. Even if you don't like it, it doesn't magically change genres.

How would you define an arena in the context of a fighting game?
Is that the only reason you wouldn't consider Smash a fighting game?

Okay, but based on what criteria? What genre would you put it in?

pleasebebaitpleasebebaitpleasebebaitpleasebebaitpleasebebait

>What real reasons are there for this not to be considered a fighting game?
FGCuck retardation

It is a fighting game as much as Quake and Counter-strike are still both shooters. At least, that's just my opinion. The real question is why are you letting an arbitrary term bother you? It doesn't really matter if it's a fighting game or not, it only matters that you enjoy the competitive aspect of it.

I don't understand why people pretend smash doesn't require skill. Are they intimidated by it? Sure there aren't traditional "combos" that a normal fighting game has, but keeping a chain going with precise and complicated movement takes a bunch of skill and practice.

It is a fighting game. Anyone saying otherwise is just trolling in this case

Because they want to feel superior to others even though their games don't have the playerbase or entertainment value of Smash.

yeah? what activities are done in smash brothers?

>using wikipedia

>In what way are any of the Smash games not fighting games?
Because of the items
if you take them away it becomes restricted even further, and even less of a party game, yet still not a fighting game
Its meant for total newcomers to play at a party, not for hardcore tournaments, it has no place there

>'Okay class, you can't use wikipedia as a source.'
>'...let me just go to the references then'

How do items make it not a fighting game? Do environment interactions in MK and Injustice not have a similar effect? Does Cody/Vegas items in SF not have a similar interaction?

>Its meant for total newcomers to play at a party, not for hardcore tournaments, it has no place there

I agree that the game wasn't designed for competitive play, that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a fighting game.
But the game has been elevated to a point where there is clearly a skill difference between pros and casuals, to a point where learning how to play the game at a competitive level does require tech skill

so if two guys are fighting in the street, and one of them picks up a brick, it's no longer a fight

This. The whole "Is Smash A Fighting Game" argument always strikes me as the fighting game community trying to make themselves seem more legit than other competitive scenes for whatever reason.

>arguing semantics

Autistic faggots are the only ones arguing that it isn't a fighting game. It obviously is. Don't listen to the opinion of any fighting game community because they are all fucking sperglord weirdos.

I can't believe people still debate this shit. /r/Kappa teenagers are going to repeatedly insist that it's not a fighting game just to rustle jimmies, just don't give them the satisfaction of deliberating it.

>its a game
>you fight (as in literally punching your enemy)
>2D view like street fighter
>somehow not a fighting game
there is no arguing in this. It is a fighting game. The thing most people mean is streetfighter-like or something. But the fighting game terminology is correct.