What are your honest thoughts on Donkey Kong 64?

What are your honest thoughts on Donkey Kong 64?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uxu0QFFAslQ
youtu.be/PlXD4WzPZfQ?list=PLF089B4078C19D358
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Honestly? It's fucking awful.

If you go for the absolute bare minimum of collectables and ignore any banana that seems even remotely irritating its playable enough.
If you want to collect all the things in the collectathon it's an agonizing quantity over quality slog.

i liked it

I love it but it can be tedious trying to 102% it. But back then kids often didn't get so many games a year so at least it has a lot of content. It also has that rareware charm to it.

Quit playing games for 8 years because of this shittiness.

A ton of fun.

Though I didn't mind it too much, it would have been DRASTICALLY improved if they had done one of two things:

A. Allowed you to switch characters anytime you're on the ground, not in combat, and not in a challenge.

B. Allowed every Kong to pick up other Kong's shit. Still keep it color coded to indicate who SHOULD pick it up, but anyone's allowed to pick it up.

Do one of these things, put DK64 on the 3DS or the Switch, and BAM it's amazing again.

Becomes very fun when you use a gameshark unlimited life code.

it's not even hard lol

It doesn't really feel like a Donkey Kong game. It's like Banjo-Kazooie but ballooned up to a ridiculous degree and with monkeys.

You obviously haven't played DCK3 or GB DKC1/3

Boring and overly tedious. I hope the 3D DK Retro is working on addresses all the problems of the first game.

Cool for the time, but even for that time... it ran at like literally 11fps or something horrendous.

There's no way I could play/tolerate that now.

If you want to experience 11 fps then open any Valve made Source engine game and type fpx_max 11

Typical horrible 3d platformer with shit controls and shit camera. There sure were a lot of those awful fucking games on the N64.

Thanks, mid-90s, for ruining games forever by convincing kids shit like this was good.

Its basically the shark jump moment for Rare.

Way too big for it's own good.

Amazing game. No game today has that much content.

You're very welcome.

It was the first time I got to play as black person.

I have yet to beat it, was never able to get past the Mario game
It was required, right?

It's a collectathon that separates the men from the boys. You HAVE to be passionate about the genre to tolerate all the character swapping and generally slow pacing. Absolutely massive game for its day though.

is not bad, just terrible repetitive and boring to switch kongs just to go grab some bananas

>don't open more levels
>don't unlock more moves
>don't need them to fight the level boss
>not required to access the final boss

Why are golden bananas even in the game?

>golden bananas dont open more levels

The rap is the only good thing about it. Otherwise, this game is a fucking disgrace.

It was a fun game for one playthrough. I don't think I'm ever gonna replay it and it has been almost 20 years since I beat it.

It angers brainlets but it's still a good game.

>DK Rap
>good

I mean, it's a disasterpiece so in that sense it's "good" but otherwise, nah. Also, it gave us Tiny Kong.

You can clip into most of them without the bananas, most people discovered that quickly when playing

However thats an unintended gameplay so you are still wrong.

>I hope the 3D DK Retro is working on
It'll be a third 2D DKC game. You'll never see another 3D DK game just like you'll never see Wario World 2 or 3D Kirby.

I didn't know that but I also never try to break games. It took me until like my 12th playthrough of OoT to realize that you don't have to do the adult dungeons in the order that Navi directs you in.

I forgot about the gatekeeper guy.

Ignore me, I'm a moron.

Content > Quality
Nothing else to say.

Getting it when it came out, after the initial charm wore off, I seriously disliked it. I was insanely hyped for the game, but levels were a slog, and different Kongs really weren't that fun.
I enjoyed Banjo Tooie way more.

Good game that was hurt by having to backtrack five times to every area on every level.

>It'll be a third 2D DKC game.
This seems pretty likely, and I really don't mind it. Tropical Freeze was amazing.

It's a fucking mess, but at least is a interesting one. I can play it, but i really hope that no game ever do the same blatant mistakes gain

The game peaks at Gloomy Galleon. The rest of the game is spent on a downward slope on uninteresting, uninspired levels, such as Crystal Caves, Fungi Forest, and Creepy Castle.

If the game spent more time on developing the previous 4 area's, especially Gloomy Galleon and Jungle Japes, it would've rivaled Mario 64, but it comes up just short of being an action adventure platforming collectathon by losing steam and not maintaining the level of quality it had for the first half.

7/10

this show was such fucking kino

i think it's good but there were a lot of fuckups and missteps

>cannot freely change characters
>backtracking is mandatory, cannot collect things as certain characters, i would have accepted being able to "collect" them and not count towards your total when you switch to that character but no
>have to beat the original donkey kong without dying twice in order to beat the game

I fucking loved creepy castle and think hideout helm was a nice idea for a final level. At least the games bosses are fun.

Gloomy Galleon is the worst level though. Fungi Forest is fun and Creepy Castle was the only one that had any bit of concise banana placement

I always thought Gloomy Galleon was when the game stops being fun. To me, DK64 is a game that starts strong and ends strong but has a godawful middle.

Gloomy Galleon's the worst level by a landslide. My favorite was always Crystal Caves but I must admit the music has a lot to do with that, probably one of my favorite themes in all of vidya. Level design-wise? Probably either Frantic Factory or Creepy Castle.

My absolute favorite collectathon. Cool levels, fun bonuses besides Beaver Bother, great music, great bosses. I love it, but I understand why people think it's shit.

Tedious
Empty
Severe lack of platforming
Great boss fights
Funny characters
Awful level design
Fantastic atmosphere and soundtrack
Shit minigames

Fungi Forest is just Click Clock Wood copy-pasted into a Donkey Kong game. Creepy Castle just felt like the typical "spoopy" copout level that Rare always adds into their games.

I think pretty much everyone agrees Crystal Caves is dull as fuck.

>have a file that's missing like 6 bananas
>boot it up
>all of them are either Gloomy Galleon bananas that I'm too lazy to seek out or the Beaver Bother stages in Creepy Castle
>turn game off

>Tedious
>Empty
These contradict.

Not that user but BK's best levels were in its final third so I don't see how Click Clock Wood is bad or how the inclusion of Mad Monster Mansion was a copout.

>Fungi Forest is just Click Clock Wood copy-pasted into a Donkey Kong game
Click Clock Wood was the best level in Banjo Kazooie

It's tedious to repeatedly stroll through such empty levels

>all these plebs

youtube.com/watch?v=uxu0QFFAslQ

But the levels aren't empty. In fact, they're filled with too much shit, which is a common complaint.

it was so boring and most of the bananas were from bonus barrels you had to reach by going back and forth through the water.
The swimming was good at least

Very, very rarely is the water level in a 3D platformer NOT the worst level in the game. Coincidentally, Banjo-Tooie avoids that fate with Jolly Roger's Bay but that's because they actually did something fucking interesting with the first person swimming and torpedo gimmicks.

I loved Gloomy Galleon. Reminded me of Monkey Island. I also liked the underwater portion and thought that was done okay. It also has one of the better boss fights.

>a song is enough reason for the level not to be a tedious, ugly slog

DK64 is a LOT of things but empty sure as shit ain't one of them.

Jolly Roger's Bay WAS the worst level in Tooie though
>
>one of the better boss fights
it's the only that's not a real boss fight though. Dogadon rematch was the best

They are filled with lots of shit to collect, but none of that feels substantial. They are empty of remarkable features.

I don't like this game but I'd like to see a sequel/remake with less padding. Love 2d dk and 3D platformers

>collectathon
well..into the trash it goes!

Tedious but I enjoyed it more than Yooka Laylee. I didn't enjoy the worlds in that game nearly as much.

The mine cart areas were pretty dope.

Having played it as someone who wasn't a child when it came out: It was dogshit.

And Fungi Forest is downgraded version of it. I mean, sure it's still one of the better levels in DK64, but it really isn't amazing in any way.

Nah, it's Cloud Cuckooland. Honestly, I like JRB more than Glitter Gulch Mine, Terrydactyland and Grunty Industries as well. Former 2 are boring and the latter eventually gets cool but takes too long to get there, plus the whole getting in thing was a bit arbitrary without a guide - doable, but you have to call back to shit you did 4 worlds ago to do it.

>he didn't like playing as Swordfish

it sucked that you had to get the coins. Fun as hell when not going for them though

nothing in DK64 is amazing or genuinely anything to write home about. The highest points are good, but nothing more.

Eh, it's got some great bosses for a 3D platformer.

>got DK64 when it came out
>me and all my childhood buddies loved it
>got stuck on the Arcade game
>eventually beat the arcade game (twice if I remember correctly?) and finished the rest of the game
>years go by
>have fond memories of DK64
>about 2013 I date a girl who still had her cartridge and a N64
>start playing it
>surprised at how tedious and generally shit everything is
>besides the visuals and music
>realize how absolutely autistic I must have been as a child to finish the game

Nostalgia is a funny thing

when I was little I always used to play as Tiny Kong.
I've been on hormone replacement therapy for two years and have been living fulltime as a girl in college.
donky kong 64 made me a tranny

Fuck off with your blog posting and take your shitty transparency with you.

Tiny was always my favorite and probably put me down the path of always playing as girls in games. Not a tranny though, I just like girls.

>look up reviews of DK64 from back when it was released out of curiosity
>read IGN's review
>they weren't very impressed with it and said it didn't do anything groundbreaking or anything that Banjo-Kazooie didn't already do better
>they gave it a 9/10

make me, fag

Never liked it even before it was cool to hate it.

Rare games were critical/commercial darlings at the time. If I recall correctly they gave CBFD like a 9.8.

Good for you, user. You keep doing you.

This post is a great example of how off topic garbage ruins threads

Actually, I just looked it up. My mistake, it was a 9.9.

>This post is a great example of how off topic garbage ruins threads
he said, replying to the off topic garbage

>he said, replying to the off topic garbage
he said, replying to the off topic garbage

>doesn't like one of the only level you get to play as an animal other than Rambi
>doesn't like the sunken ship with the lantern fish
>doesn't like the speedboat race with the seal
>doesn't like the pirate ship puzzle
>doesn't like treasure trove
>doesn't like the lighthouse area

I'm the initial garbageposter user
what do you expect

they're not wrong though. Conker would be a perfect game if it was just more polished. It has all the right parts for a good game but every part seems to feel rusted. Sloppy platforming, awkward gun controls, etc. With some polishing to fix these issues, the game could be a masterpiece

Absolutely great game. I've gotten all 201 golden bananas, and had a blast doing it. The gameplay never really gets stale since you can play as the 5 different kongs, and they all play slightly differently. I loved Tiny's races and shrinking sequences, getting HUEG as Chunky, and Lanky's handstand shenanigans are some of the most fun and challenging bits in my opinion.

All the shit is in the open areas
Everything else is huge corridors you could line up 4 more Kongs in

My favorite song in the game was from the light house area.
youtu.be/PlXD4WzPZfQ?list=PLF089B4078C19D358
I don't know why though considering its such a quiet and passive song. Gloomy galleon is still a shit level though.

GameSpot's review is weirdly similar. They were very up-front about the flaws and how a lot of people will not find the collectathon aspect fun, yet they gave it a 9/10 anyway.

Super Mario Odyssey is how to do the "collect a bunch of shit" thing correctly.

Shows you how much game journalism has changed since then.

Because they were working off the assumption that most people don't read the reviews and just look at the number, it was their compromise for sucking publisher dick, if you were the lowest common denominator then you would just look at the number and buy the fucking game, or you would just stare at the pretty pictures while your parents mistakenly believe that you're actually reading, then they started putting advertisement reviews in the fucking magazines, that shit pissed me off so much.

That was a general problem with DK64, they just couldn't let the game stand by itself there was always collecting shit.

Even the races and slides had you collecting coins.

It's weird. When looking back on it and only remembering the good parts, it's impressive just how many interesting and unique level concepts they managed to fit in. The materials are mostly quite good, but the glue holding them together is the game design and level layout, which unfortunately is irredeemable shit. See pic related

The final boss fight was ludo.

the funny thing about this part and many others is that it's in a central area. You'll have to run through that area at least once as each kong to get and do other stuff anyway, so you can just go to the part in the picture while you do other stuff. It's not like it's off in some obscure corner that you have to go out of your way to reach each time