If I only play one 2D Metroid, which one should it be?

If I only play one 2D Metroid, which one should it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/405/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Super Metroid

Super.

Zero Mission.

The answers will be all over the board, though. Many will say super is the best, but I think the controls are a bit obsolete at this point, so ZM is more beginner friendly.

damn i suddenly want a metroid in this style

Super Metroid, it's not even a question

Super did metroidvania best. Some complain that the controls are outdated, but IMO it's the same things as when people say that Bioshock 1 is outdated. Still playable.

Zero Mission didn't capture the darker mood that other games had. I feel that it was made specifically for metroid fans, but doesn't quite hit the mark. Not the best game to start with, IMO.

Fusion is great, but it's heavily story-focused. Plus, its linearity is a huge departure from the series' metroidvania style. Despite this, it captures the atmosphere perfectly. Play super first, and you'll appreciate this one more.

In conclusion, play Super first.

what a dumb fucking question

A lot of people will say Super but honestly I don't have the nostalgia boner for it and I'd say the GBA games are just as high a quality so basically you can't go wrong. Might as well go chronologically and start with Zero Mission.

Hyper Metroid
:^)

She's casting a detailed shadow on the floor that realistically falls on the grass in front of her. I doubt you'll ever see a 2D game with this style

AM2R

>nobody saying Samus Returns
>it flopped commercially
>critics hate it
>nobody can recommend it
RIP Metroid

it's just a processor heavy 2d game. given how many people build rigs to play 2d games you can run on toasters why is it a stretch to think someone might eventually develop a 2d game that has high end requirements.

some sort of combination between 3d and 2d could probably pull that off.

fpbp

Super. Not because I personally think it's the best (though I do think it's very good), but because controls in other games are simply much better and it's hard to go back to Super

Honestly, I don't think Samus Returns deserves much of the blame. After Other M and Federation Force... the damage may have already been done.

Check out rainworld. It actually pulls that out, but the secret is that its actually low poly models with low resolution filter and tricks that make itlook like pixel art.

Samus Returns is a perfectly serviceable Metroid game and very much worth a play through, but it's not the best in the series/of the style like the OP is asking for.

>is a perfectly serviceable Metroid game
>serviceable
This is the nicest compliment anyone can make about it. What a disaster

Super > 2 > 1 > the GBA games > a stinking pile of shit > that godawful 2 remake that Nintendo shut down

And even that pile of shit was better than any fucking 3d Metroid game by far. What the fuck was that nightmarish control pile of shit series of games and how did Nintendo convince an entire generation of "gamer" kids to like them?

I'd argue disaster is an overstatement. It's not even the 3rd worst entry in the franchise when you have the likes of Metroid Prime Hunters, Other M, and Federation Force in the mix. Arguments could even be made against Metroid Prime 3.

Super Metroid > Zero Mission > Fusion > Samus Returns

>I'd argue disaster is an overstatement
When it was a safe play like this? Definitely a disaster.

>Mixels
Get that nasty shit out of my face.

I think that's one of its biggest problems.
They took the absolute safest route and remake another metroid game.
Even worse is am2r exists, a superior remake that released before samus returns.

Also, just as a personal complaint, I fucking hate 2.5D.
It just screams of laziness and cheaping out, especially when it's a remake of a sprite based game.

I agree, I think at this point there are enough Metroidvanias being made Nintendo can safely retire Metroid for good

Zero Mission is the definitive Metroid game.

>too short
>scripted stealth section
>shoehorned Gravity Suit and Power Bombs for no reason
>worst backtracking in the series
>Mecha Ridley
How about no?

The ending ending sequence disqualifies it.

I can't believe there's still no mod to fix it.

Super > SR > ZM > Fusion >>> 2 > 1

Play Super.

It's hard to go back to Super when Fusion/Zero Mission have far superior physics. Metroid doesn't need a run button.

The fact that it's still the best despite having a run button, select to scroll through weapons and a million of other little shortcomings that were fixed in later games says a lot about the quality of Super.

Super

Super Metroid

>one of the best-selling 3DS games of 2017
>on Nintendo's best-selling page on their website
>outsold FE Echoes
>Sakamoto and MercurySteam enthusiastic to make Metroid 5
It's time for you to stop with this bait and fuck off back to r/Metroid.

Axiom Verge

romhacking.net/hacks/405/

I don't get why Sup Forums trashes that game. It's one of the better metroidvanias.

Super Metroid stands as the best in its genre, though Axiom Verge came close I think

supers movement allows so much more than ZM