Does anyone else think BotW just doesn't feel atmospheric? I don't know what it is...

Does anyone else think BotW just doesn't feel atmospheric? I don't know what it is. But the world just doesn't absorb me.

Yes. I mean no.

BOTW isn’t a game. It’s a soyme.

maybe you´re too much into classic zelda games.

BotW is the best open world ever created. Play XCX if you want ~atmosphere~ you ironic gamer.

I wouldn't say it doesn't feel atmospheric but it definitively could feel better, having a good soundtrack aside from Hyrule Castle would be a start

I thought Kakariko, the Zora Domain and Hyrule castle were the only atmospheric parts of the game to be desu.

I dont know why but this made me laugh hard.

>BOTW is a good ga-

I felt the exact opposite, the world is incredibly atmospheric, it's just that that atmosphere is kinda the same for most of the world. Desolate remains of a once great society retaken by nature with some melancholy piano tracks fading in and out every so often.

Breath of the Wild has good comb-

I've said it again I'll say it once more. It's the food mechanic. It breaks the immersion. In the real world you don't just go around foraging everything you can. This is why the towns should be resupply hubs and everywhere else should be inedible roughage. I bet you'd be feeling it when you know you have to fend for yourself by rationing your resources rather than tanking enemies. Oh in before the token dunce in every Zelda thread says "BUT THERE'S FAIRIES!" No duh. Obviously I'm including all regen commodities in my proposal.

For me, the first couple hours feel atmospheric. After you realize that the world is mostly bland and pretty much empty, it loses all its magic and atmosphere.

Not even, the only parts that I felt that reflects what you just said were the areas really close to Hyrule castle.
There's no real indication of 'ruin' anywhere other than the rare run down building. The towns all seem fine and everything else seems fine. There's no feeling of a once great kingdom over run by nature. It's just e m p t y

I love the cartoony style of the game and I'm glad they're not going with full cel shading like WW. The problem that's ever present in modern open world games is that you're always constantly have to follow the mission markers because you're never given clues and hints on where you should go. This is hardly the case in BotW, since the markers only shows the mission giver and not your actual objective. The game might not have any "rewards" other than korok shit and shrines, but it sure as hell encourage you to explore and figure things out on your own. Whereas in games like the new Assassin's Creed the side quests feel like another check off the list and you're constantly spoiled by the markers. And ironically when you think about it, the game is identical to BotW in terms of gameplay

The story mission areas are the best of the game. Most everything else though is pretty bland.

Yeah, after doing a bunch a of sidestuff i got tired of it pretty quickly and just rushed the main story. 7/10 its alright overall.

I think if the game was just a bit less intrusive it go a long way. Something as simple as taking away the cutscenes for the test of strength guardians would have given you more of a sense of discovery. Considering all the uninterrupted moments just exploring shit makes up the majority of the game, I think it would have benefited to have most of the moments outside of that go along with that vibe.

I'm 20 hours into Xenoblade 2 and that world is better than botw. But took me 19 hours to get good at it.

its because of the lack of density of the environments. the world is always so open all the time and the field of version is also very large. hard to feel immersed in a location when you can virtually always see 3-4 towers in the distance and a bunch of other shit. even when you're in a village it feels like you're just passing through. the game really needed some more dense forests, enclosed meadows, caves

even being in hebra just doesnt give me the same feeling as the harsher areas of skyrim, it just doesnt feel that isolated

also people will balk at this but i think its true, the world generally has no real culture or flavor, its very bland. IMO the most atmospheric place in the game is gerudo town, and the lost woods during the mission where you're following the korok.

maybe you should absorb a bullet