Hows that game coming along user?

Hows that game coming along user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rhN35bGvM8c
youtu.be/aMkl9pfMmn4
twitter.com/DarknetFoxes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Need to learn C++, but I played the fool and started making a small one in Lua first.

C++ is shit.

after looking at all the things i'll need to make it, i'm looking at needing a $70,000 kickstarter

this isn't insurmountable as even horrible shit that has no intent of actually being made regularly gets $70,000. But it makes me feel like I should cut a feature to get down to $50,000 instead

Make your own engine from scratch.

Still deciding on an engine. Apparently there's Unreal or Blender? Then there's another one that starts with G. Unreal seems like the potential choice but some user in the previous thread said it couldn't even process an example scene. Seems iffy. Blender apparently has an iffy system? Forgot what they said.

Why finish my game when I can just rake in patreon dollars and churn out excuses for delays.

A lot worse than it should be. Been unemployed for over a year to work on my game. Got barely any work done, spend most of the day fapping or on Sup Forums. Parents have been financing me but are now telling me that I should go get a real job. I have enough money to live on my own for quite some time, I just hate all the stress I've put myself through and I hate how incompetent I feel.
I refuse to go to kickstarter or release early access builds until the game is 100% done. Those things are the cancer that is killing gaming.

with that in mind, let me ask you guys

what would you rather see: a game with a focus on great gameplay and design, but also with some bidnign of isaac type features, adding a lot more replayability

or the same game with slightly deeper gameplay (player character can do one extra thing, like having an execution movie for enemies), greater design, maybe less replayability for average people but more speedrunning potential.

Blender isn't all that great for game development. It works, but it's more for animation.
Stick to Unreal or Unity if you want to do 3D.
Gamemaker, Love2D, or the proceeding two if you want to try 2D (they can both do it, though with limited success). Take a look at Godot whatever you end up deciding though.

see you in fifteen years you dumb dick

>he majors in computer science
>he majors in web development
>he majors in video game design

An indie game that can give you a lot of bang for your buck tends to generate larger, closer nit communities. Just make sure the quality level is high enough to support it.

Total nonsense. How do you think games ever got made before Unity existed? It was harder, but it didn't take 15 years.
Just focus on actually making a game, and not on building a Unity clone that you will use to write a game, and you'll end up ok. A game is just a program, you write a computer program that moves shit around on the screen and that's it. Everyone's gotta make everything so fuckin' complicated these days.

joke's on you, i'm actually john carmack, my engine will be done by next week. it'll be free but you can only make vr games with it.

>How do you think games ever got made before Unity existed?

by teams of 70 people working 60 hour weeks for 2.5 years

My hard drive crashed two months ago and I lost almost everything, I had a backup but it was before most of my major breakthroughs. I think I'm going to start over soon.

whats wrong with the first two

I think you don't know what you're talking about. You know that Braid was coded by one guy without an engine, right? And you can have a perfectly fun and successful game that's much smaller than Braid.

See this: youtube.com/watch?v=rhN35bGvM8c He's considered a "bad" coder by most people, though.

They're not what the person really meant to major in, but didn't know any better.

>tfw couldn't apply to CS for reasons, majoring in Electronics instead
Fuck.

it's basically the same thing, every program can be represented as a logic circuit

>for reasons
are those reasons that you were just too fucking bad to be accepted?

Electronics seems cool. I was playing a game the other day that was a puzzle solving game. It was similar to connecting parts together like a power circuit, and I was wondering if power circuits are the same and as interesting.

I'm right now just making a list of ideas for some top down shooter.

Probably not gonna make it until I get a better computer. Mine is a literal toaster from the Windows Vista age.

who the fuck is talking about braid? I'm talking about real games that were good or mattered

Isn't blender software for 3D modeling?

>He's considered a "bad" coder by most people, though.

no, he's not. notch is both clearly talented and adept. He's considered bad by children on Sup Forums who haven't the slightest fucking idea about software design, programming, or computer science, and are just repeating what they've read here

about 90% of everything you read here is just someone repeating something they read here.

>major in CS cause i wanna make games
>flunk
>switch to Web development because fuck it
>its way easier and less stressful

Basically, yes.
I know that, but I already shifted my carreer path. At least I got way better at physics and math.
You mean Shenzen IO? It's basically what I do in the lab I currently work at the university, but in C code instead of assembly.

>actually going to college to get a degree in web development

this is sad in a way you will hopefully realize before it's too late to change majors

>about 90% of everything you read here is just someone repeating something they read here
about 90% of everything you read here is just someone repeating something they read here.

what the fuck do i do then

Ok, you're either a troll or an idiot, please don't waste my or anyone else's time in the future with your posts.

I've heard that from so many people it must be true.

Eh you can probably learn how to program without having to take a CS class.

I learned programming through playing this one game that allowed you to create your own games and distribute scripts in the "Models" page. I was 14 around the time as well.

Hence quotes. What he does in the video is awesome, he basically implemented raycasting using Swing.

There's nothing wrong with a degree in web development. If you flunk a degree in CS though, then you probably lack either the intelligence or work ethic necessary to make games. Figure out your goals in life, then figure out how you need to improve yourself so you can meet them.

go to college for something challenging. teach yourself easy things.

college for web dev? seriously..a secret: anyone employed as a developer taught themself

BINDING OF ISAAC TYPE GAME
WITH A LOT OF SYNERGIES
LIKE A SHITTON OF THEM

Yeah, that's what I want. But on the front page, I also said Blender had its own game engine which I assume must be new because I didn't know it had that.

you do it and don't listen to these neet faggots on the internet

I already took the programming classes and consider myself a decent coder (as far as I needed in my projects that use Texas Digital Signal Processors). What I meant is that CS as a whole seemed more interesting.

I'm on it. It's coming along okay even though I'm making it up as I go

If you truly want to commit yourself to make games in the long run, it will help you a lot. Stick with it.

dont listen to 20+ faggots who do nothing all day but shitposts on the internet

If you like it keep doing it

>I also said
I also saw

Let's get the real party started.

>C++

>not coding in C using only Vim through SSH in a cloud based server
Fucking plebs, I tell you.

Why is unreal so slow, it's impossible to prototype in it. The level designer is beyond garbage and compiling takes ages.
>inb4 use blueprints
No

There's a reason early access exists. Finding out whether your idea is worthwhile before completing it 100% is very valuable. Kickstarter has also led to plenty of great games getting made that never would have been otherwise like Yooka Laylee, Divinity Original Sin, Elite Dangerous. Consider softening your stance.

he's not bad, he's just mediocre

See

no it wont

I'm more of an artist than a programmer, to be honest. Taking the time to learn how to do that on top of everything else would be too much for me.

mmmmm

I intend to finish it even if it ends up a bloated glitchy mess. Then on my second go I can hopefully make some planning in advance.

This has to be a joke right? Unreal isn't trash right?

>more freedom to implement mechanics is bad
Whatever you say, bro.

>That rewind implementation in Braid

YAMERO

It's absolute garbage. Nice toolsuite though.

I like unreal because you can get great looking results right out of the box, but it's starting to wear down on me. It doesn't help that the program takes 15+ minutes to launch. It's just so slow.

I know Java. I heard C++ has almost identical syntax to Java. If that's so, what's the main differences between them?

The former. Speedrunning is a meme and replayability is the whole reason Isaac has fans.

>both java and eclipse
OH NO NO NONO NONO NO

A new version is on the way that fixes some of the problems. Still pretty alpha at the moment though.
youtu.be/aMkl9pfMmn4
If you want to work with BSP, turn off the auto-build and work in wireframe.

Java deals with VM while C++ can directly mess with stuff.

Java is idiot proof C++

I only know Java, I told you in the last thread

>I know Java. I heard C++ has almost identical syntax to Java. If that's so, what's the main differences between them?
A million. The biggest one is that Java runs on a virtual machine that handles allocating and freeing memory for you. In C++ you have to do this yourself, which can lead to memory leaks (allocating memory and forgetting to free it, if repeated enough you'll run out of memory and crash the program). Although modern C++ provides libraries that make this easier for you.
Plenty of other differences besides, too. Multiple inheritance of classes. Operator overloading. Templates are a far more flexible version of generics. You could write a whole book on the differences, really.

Java is still enough to make a game.

He is a fucking idiot, only retards think making engines is impossible or 2 hard. Looks at FTL, FEZ, Dungeon of Dredmor, and Factorio. If you have a simple game like FTL and Dungeons of Dredmor the engine itself is pretty simple.

Why are web development and video game design things taught at colleges and not vocational schools? No one needs to major in those.

>multiple inheritance
There is literally never a reason to use this feature. It should be banished

Many reasons. One is that colleges know it'll attract students and get them money that they otherwise wouldn't get. The other is that some people have no direction and only get told to go to college so this acts as a way in even if a little.

been modeling some of the items in high(er) poly to make inventory icons.

also been working on some enemies

twitter.com/DarknetFoxes

They usually are in like bottom tier colleges or meme colleges. They are usually like diplomas that take 2 years. No one need to study game design 4 year unless they are also making games and learning programming. But then it's like a CS degree with a specialization in game programmer/game design.

cant decide if i like or dislike the intentional lack of precision

heavily lenaing toward dislike

As a software engineer, I feel like I'm missing multiple pieces necessary to make a game, like artistic skills for sound and graphics design

Why would I do that when I can get hired as a software engineer making $65k+ a year starting?

>software engineer
>needing art skills

Just use some pre-made assets and focus on making your game playable//fun in the meantime. If you have a good proof of concept or a near finished game minus art, it won't be hard finding a music/artfag to finish the job.

That's always what people who begin to make games think. But really you just need basic things or placeholders. There are even free assets.

That's what Unity Asset Store is for. Hey, it worked for PUBG

people always say Java is shit for video games because of the garbage collector

It is, you have no idea when it's going to lock up for >1s as the java runtime does a deallocation pass

currently learning Godot. This shit seems really easy.
makes me think there isnt much to do with it.
How good is Godot and should I switch to Unreal/C++?

What have you done with it so far?

Learn to draw. You can do it with effort and practice. No one has any right to call themselves a game developer if they cannot draw.

Don't fall for this trap and always remember to make the game though. Once you become a drawfag, you might get sucked in too deep trying to overcome challenges.

followed some youtube tutorials and made a basic 2d platformer demo in Godot
nothing for Unreal/C++ yet

>tfw majored in web development and make 70k a year at my first job

dont listen to these faggots

Sure, that's always a danger. I taught myself coding when I was 13 so I could make games, but then I got sucked into that and became a codingfag for all of high school. Lost several years to working on abstract inanities that could have been spent working on something better. But as long as you're aware of these sorts of dangers, they can be avoided.

So, with that problem, I only can do mobile games?

Isn't Minecraft written in Java? Bastion was written in C# which does garbage collection too. Plenty of successful games use garbage collection.

What's a scripting language? I heard about Love2D or something like that.

Love2D is a Lua-based framework.
I'm currently making a small 1-month game in it. I recommend taking a look if you're experimenting and don't know the heavier stuff. It only took me about three days to learn just about everything I need.

making a vr game with my local indie team
looking good so far, music guy is awesome

unless you're using rpgmaker or live in some slavshit colony with janitors you can pay 5 dollars a day, you aren't making shit for 70k unless like other indie "devs" you rely on shit loads of volunteer work. (like a commie leech)

>doesn't mention he lives in Vancouver
>70k a year is basically minimum wage
>lives in a studio apartment
>none of his neighbors speak english or french
>his real fw

Lets say I don't know anything about C and want to make a game similar to pong in a months time. What do I need to know and what books should I read?