Game budgets so massively inflated that games can sell millions and still be financial flops

>game budgets so massively inflated that games can sell millions and still be financial flops
>spends millions of dollars developing an in-house engine that only ever gets used on one game
>twice
>gives their biggest franchise to inexperienced directors while their proven talent is relegated to smaller projects
>STILL hasn't fired Motomu Toriyama
Is there a more incompetent publisher?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3C5ECIsHbFM
youtu.be/2_6kUM0zRKI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah, Deep Silver. They allowed shit like Ride to Hell: Retribution or Mighty n° 9 and milked all the way Dead Island, just in order to try building them some IPs.

God I hope this is the year when SE finally comes back. I think they realized that making their own engines is fucking stupid and that Unreal Engine is godlike so that's a giant step in the right direction.

Can somebody post that recent interview with Nomura where he sounded genuinely annoyed with Square Enix and mentioned that their antics literately impact all of the games being developed?

NIS America & Deep Silver is worse as publisher.

>>STILL hasn't fired Motomu Toriyama

Didn't they remove him as far away as possible from actual game development, though? He was working on their streaming service or something.

I want Ito and the designer for Bravely series to make their own RPG with thicc waifus.
on the switch

Lets not forget what they're doing with FFXV:

>Game is shit
>Instead of moving on and making FFXVI, they want to milk FFXV for two years all because they're too cheap to make a new game

>>STILL hasn't fired Motomu Toriyama
for what purpose? his work is fine until he's given free reign to call all the shots himself

First two points are absolutely true and it was both hilarious and sad to see them throw Tomb Raider, Deus Ex and Hitman under the bus for "underperforming" while they were feeding untold millions into remaking FF14 and fund FF15.

>that their antics literately impact all of the games being developed
Explain?

>Sony interviews every FF director and asks them what their favorite game is
>This was Toriyama's answer

Holy fuck, I thought the waifufag comments were a joke. I didn't know he was really like this,

was that ever really in question? I mean, you can tell 13, 14 and 15 all had incredibly troubled developments.

so if he has better taste lighting would had turn out better?

I assume those games were cannibalized to make up for their own failures. Cook the books on your flagship franchise's sales to please investors, then sell off your smaller studios to make up for the losses.

Things like the engine issues with Versus XIII, XIV 1.0, XIII trilogy and XV forced staff off of other games to help fix their mess. This is partly why FFVXIII never got anywhere because staff was taken from the game to work on XIII and XIV.

youtube.com/watch?v=3C5ECIsHbFM
Watch this.

Fuck them for not giving PC proper physical releases.

>a PS1 game is perfectly comparable with a PS4/XBone game

Get your strawman out here or at least use a better credible one like Persona 5.

He's currently the director and wirter (i think) of Mobius Final Fantasy, one of the mobile games.
Although Mobies has reached its story conclusion, so i don't know what's next in store for Toriyama.

Proposal: You don't waste money on exorbitant graphics or voicing EVERY SINGLE LINE in the game. Or better yet, don't commission an engine that was doomed from the very start.

What are you even trying to say? That it isn't possible to make a complete game anymore?

>Nomura really loved Noctis and saw him as his son, along with Sora
>After they moved him to KH3 and FFVIIR, he mentioned that he was putting all of his rage into KH3
>Won't even talk about FFXV
>Riku literately looks like Noctis

What DID Nomura mean by this?

Or at the very fucking least, don't scrap the game 5+ years in.

>Get your strawman out here or at least use a better credible one like Persona 5.
>Persona 5 can launch as a huge, completed game
>The Witcher 3 can also launch like that and be developed in three years while XV is still being finished

No excuses.

holy shit surprised i didnt notice this yet

I'm convinced that Toriyama had a dream about some girl like Lightning and made it his life goal to immortalize her as a video game character, just so he could dress her up and buy figures to hotglue.

They're doing well financially, they are just pretty shit at giving some studios a proper chance. FYI though, the S-E of then giving shit to Tomb Raider for not selling enough then, is by no means the same as it is now as they consider Nier Automata a success despite selling less IIRC.

In charge of Mobius Final Fantasy now, first thing he did was add Lightning. Not even joking.

They've stated as such in their Financials that they are making XV a part of their "games as a service" model

XIV they felt like it had to because 1.0 was a complete failure. XIV & mobages however funded XV, not investment funds.

He's a fucking joke

>>Nomura really loved Noctis and saw him as his son, along with Sora
>Sora

Is that why Nomura constantly portrays Sora as a retarded Too Dumb To Live piece of trash? Strange logic Nomura. And frankly Noctis suffers from that issue, being Too Dumb To Live or rather too reliant on his guards to survive a single day. Nomura has a terrible way of handling his male characters.

Riku is getting all the development and growth that SHOULD go to Sora. But Nomura constantly mind rapes Sora and keeps him detached from important events, etc so he stays as an immature blissfully unaware snowflake. Fuck Nomura. I'm tired of him. KH1 Sora would have NEVER permitted Vanitas to summon his weapon to his face like that.

Someone will kill riku so nomura can forever close ffxv

I still have no idea how Square managed to get complete control of Enix in the merger. They're treating all their Enix properties like trash while Final Fantasy gets to keep its flagship unlimited budget.
At least Takahashi is styling all over FF for some karmic justice.

>Call the game "Lightning Returns" as if FFXIII-2's problem was barely any Lightning
>People actually like Caius, Noel and their waifu
>Lightning Return's was literately the lowest selling mainline game and even Tactics outsold it
>This was even after the PC version released

>>spends millions of dollars developing an in-house engine that only ever gets used on one game
>>twice
Crystal Tools wasn't used in only FF13, 13-2, Lightning Returns, Dragon Quest 10 and FF14 also run on Crystal Tools.
It's Luminous Engine that's only used for FF15 and nothing else.

>the S-E of then giving shit to Tomb Raider for not selling enough then, is by no means the same as it is now as they consider Nier Automata a success despite selling less IIRC.
Budget. Sales are irrelevant in and of themselves.

but the new tomb raider was garbage, the new deus ex was a letdown compared to the previous, and hitman was okay but it had very little content overall and was released as fucking episodes, which always reduces sales

those games were all a step down from their previous iterations

As long as they follow the story of VII to the letter they literally can't fuck it up right?

Right?

>And frankly Noctis suffers from that issue, being Too Dumb To Live or rather too reliant on his guards to survive a single day. Nomura has a terrible way of handling his male characters.
Versus Noctis was a different character. If you look at the Versus trailers, he was much more confident and literately didn't care about anyone but his friends and dad. He spends most of those trailers talking about how he wants to kill Niflheim.

>Riku is getting all the development and growth that SHOULD go to Sora.
To be fair, this happens with Japanese media in general. See Goku and Vegeta and pretty much any anime, manga or game character from Japan. The "bad boy" rival always gets developed while the happy go-lucky protagonist doesn't.

>It's Luminous Engine that's only used for FF15 and nothing else.
that's cause they haven't made anything else yet
they're still planning on using luminous, agnis philosophy was running in luminous and shit

>FF14
And look how that turned out. They literately had to reboot it because of it. Also, CT was one of the reasons Versus never came out. The whole engine collapsed under it.

Nu Raider is literately one of the worst things I've played in recent memory. It's like Uncharted with a cast of characters with -0% charisma and boring hallway shooting.

>Release a Final Fantasy fighting game the same week as DBZF
>and the same week as Monster Hunter
>and the same day as a big content patch for your own Final Fantasy MMORPG
>at a $60 price
They are retarded.

Except Agni was a nothing but a tech demo, just like the FF8 remake on PS2 being a tech demo and the FF7 remake on PS3 being a tech demo, it's not a real project.
And they confirmed they won't be using Luminous going forward because they're switching to Unreal Engine 4. All of their big upcoming projects use UE4, which is to say KH3 and FF7R.

Not to mention:

>Make it 3v3 when only a vocal minority actually likes that
>The vast majority that played the beta said they mainly hated it because of 3v3
>Have no storymode and make you grind for cutscenes instead
>Basically a multiplayer only game with no singleplayer content

Can't wait to refund my copy tomorrow for SoTC.

Surely Toriyama walked in on the SE CEO getting blowed by some hooker and that's why he got to make these games. Right?

Square decadence from the psx FF's and parasite eve era is depressing

>tfw Theatrhythm is the only FF I've enjoyed in the past decade

I miss them so much

It's broad marketing because they know their wide audience has different tastes at best, shuffling it out because even in arcades it sucked at worst.

It's not the worst idea really, anyone that really cared or is casual enough of the series was gonna buy it anyway. No one that plays Monster Hunter or XIV regularly was going to buy Dissidia.

>adding teamwork to a game about a franchise that has always been about party battles and in a series that has already been going towards it and benefits entirely from it
>the "vast majority" being the few people that did a single game and started crying instead of playing the tutorial or just learning how to play the game
>literally false, the story mode has multiple fights in it including boss battles against the summons
>literally false, it still has some varied single player content like the aforementioned boss battles and gauntlet modes, it's just focused on the much more enjoyable multiplayer

He gets games done, on time, and sells decent enough to stores. They don't care about the quality as long as it doesn't hurt them financially.

See: XIV 1.0

They tried a decade ago with The Last Remnant using Unreal Engine 3. Apparently there where some problems doing so I cant remember what it was but that was why they prefered their own inhouse engine.

They did that with FFXIII aswell. and that was even a bigger piece of shit. Funny enough that 15 also even started as a 13 spinoff.

The only thing that mattered was getting it out ahead of Monster Hunter in Japan, no gaijin cunts were ever going to buy an arcade port that wasn't called Street Fighter or Tekken anyways.

I'd say the most competent game he was heavily involved with was Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, and even that one had problems.
He also did scenario writing for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, but i haven't played it, so i don't know how it is.

>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
King gets his kingdom back, but it's baren. So he has to rebuild and get villagers back.
It's pretty good for what it is.

So let me get this straight. This site is full of waifufags. There are constant threads that discuss absolutely nothing about media and just post pictures of hot girls with comments that consist of "MUH DICK IS DIAMONDS!" and "Why is she so perfect?"

Then a game developer is a waifufag and that means he's a joke? Is this pure irony at it's finest?

>scenario writing
This is what Toriyama is best at. He shouldn't be the head designer / director.

>Is this pure irony at it's finest?
Man is always able to see the fault in others, than himself.

Sup Forums didn't waifufag so hard that they made the shittiest game in a long-running video game franchise, and then extend it into a trilogy.

yet

>Avengers is going to be massive
>Tomb Raider the movie looks like it's going to be a hit
>Kings of Mobile garbage
>shoe ins for picking up the Star Wars license once the sequel trilogy is finished.
>Octopath is just a demo and far and away the best game on the Switch.
>Going to resell the Japanese DQXI again with redone audio
>Naoki Yoshida

All I see are wins for SquAAA+re Enix

>Tomb Raider looks like it's going to be a hit

Don't jump the gun just yet, pal.

Toriyama gave us Revenant Wings so I can't hate them too much.
>Is there a more incompetent publisher?
NIS America

Don't forget about KHIII and TWEWY HD

>KHIII
that game has been in development for so long I doubt it'll turn a profit

Except Lightning is legitimately a popular character, the main character of the XIII series, and even XIII-2's plot was "we gotta find Lightning". It selling like shit is a given, as you're already more or less limiting yourself to people who have played two other games that total like 100 hours, and it was one of the absolute last relevant PS3 games along with Gran Turismo 6 (that also sold like shit) and Dark Souls II.

Except that we don't get paid for waifufagging.

>NOBODY LIKES LIGHTNING BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE LIGHTNING

Lightning has consistently topped every character poll for FF in Japan since the first 13 game came out.

>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
It's basically a casual dumbed down city sim. Little shota king has to rebuild his kingdom. My Life as a Dark Lord is better, casual version of Dungeon Keeper.

Are you retarded? AAA budgets required a game sell over a certain threshold to be profitable which is completely different to AA or A budgets. Fucking hell why is there so many underage here.

UE4 has done literally nothing other than being a stepping stone, they've produced far better results with their own engines than literally any AAA UE4 game of comparable scale and feature set.

Nomura always reuses old ideas he couldn't use in past games.

You guys have to realize that Square Enix has been a giant mess for a really long time. Just look at FFXI, you don't really need any more evidence than that.

For those not in the know, FFXI was game with a large and dedicated online community that never really dropped in its numbers for a solid 7 years. Rather than continue to support it and develop on it further, they decided to make a new MMO that actively cannibalized the developers and the community from the previous game.

They were basically shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly while apologizing and trying to convince everyone that it was fine and nothing bad was going on. All the blame was tossed onto FFXI's producer, but honestly the guys at the top just needed a scapegoat and he was one of the last of the original FF guys who was still around at the company they hadn't run out yet.

I worry for Akitoshi Kawazu (Director/Producer on the SaGa series) since he's another one of the guys who from the early days who's still around. I really hope he can at least get to retire peacefully, and not have to face the same shit that Hiromuchi Tanaka (Producer on FFXI) had to put up with.

Incidentally, Square Enix's firing of Tanaka all happened while the man was in and out of the hospital, on dialysis, and suffering from some major kidney disease. I've seen people talk about evil businesses, but Square Enix takes the cake for how public they are about it and their audience never says anything about it.

Sup Forums doesn't get paid, nor does it make video games.

4-5 years isn't that long these days. I'm sure it'll do good enough.

Most Japanese companies just seem excessively cruel to their staff. It's almost something you'd see in a cartoon where the big evil corporate CEO is just evil for evils sake and takes it out on his employees.

>so long
Can this meme stop already

Toriyama was unironically better than Tabata.

I'd take a flawed vision over the absense of a vision, just a puppet trying to make his game appeal to as many as possible. And Nomura is also getting very tiresome with his emo episodes and never ending game delays. Honestly FF is pretty fucked and desperately needs new talent on calibre with Yoko Taro and Hidetaka Miyazaki.

>look mommy I posted it again!?

Whoever made that pic is a butthurt Nomura cocksucking faggot.

Nice false equivalence, XVs system was built around Noctis's combat, every mechsnic in the game is built around him and his abilities which is why he was made the only one playable, because it's a fucking ARPG not a menu game where you just stand still putting in words for everyone the same way, 7 is not built around Clouds because everyone is input the exact same way in 7 because of the menu, the Golden saucer is a canon event in 7, decorating Altissia/lestallum in a non canon free DLC is not the same. What the actual fuck.

Like holy shit how dumb does someone have to be to think a car driving on a 1:1 scale open map with all the party visible at all times at the level of visual fidelity it has which accounting for monsters on the field and verticality is the same thing as that buggy on the SD 7 map which literally is just a faster movement option and your stuck to the ground anyway?

And again every DLC added entirely new combat system for each member because everyone plays completely different and they had to create entirely different systems to Noctis for that to work seamlessly in real time, everyone in 7 is the same exact system because it's ATB where you just pick a word from a menu.

Not to mention that armiger unleashed is a completely new mechanic building on the armiger that you already have in the game, not the same thing as Omnislash, same with new bosses and areas added. Whoever made that bullshit image is a fucking dumbass that made a false equivalence because he's a triggered little cunt.

And KG isn't just something cut out of the game and turned into a movie, the intro was rewritten so Noctis is in Leide when he finds out about the invasion and the movie is about a completely new character they created to show that if you want it, even though you don't need to because you learn about it in the game.
You're a fucking retard.

>XV-kun still hasn't killed himself yet
woah, I guess you got permabanned on home IP hence your phoneposting.

>Won't even talk about FFXV
Except he did, multiple times and even drew him multiple times recently.

He literally said he has the same burning rage as when he did when making KH1 you fucking idiot, has nothing to do with him moved off XV.

I dunno, XIV had some bone-headed design choices, and I'm not talking about the utterly useless ability that jumping was in ARR and HW. Stuff like a huge dependency on server-side operations, running everything off of scripts (a decent idea for designers, but considering the time period, was NOT a good idea), along with the game actively working against the players in the worst way (such as the fatigue system, which either needed to be retuned or reworked completely) just made it seem like that it wouldn't have been the best MMO. Of course, what was apparently a really shitty development cycle didn't help either, and it was clearly rushed to compete with WoW.

Isn't it because firing employees is frowned upon or something? They just treat them like total shit and try to make them leave voluntarily instead of outright firing them.

>he's here
Goodbye and have a nice day everyone except XV-kun.

You realize XV had more content and superior graphics to W3 did on launch while W3 had post launch DLC for the same time period as XV is getting it, right? You do realize that the XV we got was only made in 3-4 years right?

I wish they used the Nomura art much more in NT, the only place you really see it is in the unlockable icons.

No one cares. Piss off you annoying faggot.

SE suffers from corporate meddling the most.

>write story, make game
>SE: "NO CHANGE IT"
>burn through a couple more millions and delay game even further

>implying this thread isn't just getting crazy
His autism knows no bounds. I just push him whenever I can to see how deep it goes.

No he wasn't, he's the same exact character. His dialog in the final game is completely in line with his exact mindset and personality as it was in 2011 and 2013. He's literally still only worried about his friends and dad while he thinks he's the strongest and can go head first into enemies while his friends caution him and he says that Niflheim wished they still had a peace treaty to protect them from him.
youtu.be/2_6kUM0zRKI

Literally the only difference is they made him less introverted in the final game but kept all his other traits like arrogance and his desire to reject royal conventions until he's forced to accept his responsibility.

youtu.be/2_6kUM0zRKI

BD2 is already working on a new IP aiming for next gen which is using luminous.

Posting in XV-kun thread

his obsession is unhealthy

Is ff14 their only real source of income right now? They release a game like once every 5 years these days

>bidklues still sperging out like a cunt because he got BTFO again

I don't know why they made her body shit post-13. In 13 she had actual rack and a nice waist-breast ratio.

Shut the fuck up, stop trying to police threads.

Eat shit you eternal cunt.

Go back to nu-gaf you fucking faggot.

it's the same thing. Her 13 outfit added thickness to her body and when you remove that, you see the horrors.

I don't force my waifu on others while getting paid millions for it, though

Friendly reminder to ignore all XV-kun posts, and report him for off topic shitposting and ban evasion.