Breath of the Wild thread

What is your favorite road to travel on? I love traveling by these mushroom tower things

I like taking the mountain route past Akkala Fortress and through the autumnal landscape after. Max comfy.

>Make a zelda bait thread
>400 replies
>Make a zelda to discuss the actual game
>Reaches page 10
I guess everybody is too busy enjoying the game, right?

I like surfing down the big hill in Akkala. But running along the beaches and the catwalks on the Tingel islands is good too.

This. I'm sure the shitters will catch wind of thread soon and try and derail it with desperate attempts at listing 'faults'.

I haven't any particular road in mind. But I really love to free roam this world.
Like... I'm pretty sure I'll have some trouble for the next 3D exploration games.

I was going to shitpost in this thread, but you guys seem to enjoy the game so I won't. I do wish the game looked less washed out though.

Akkala is the best area in the game hands down. It's got grassy fields with its own twist, the akkala tower is cool, has interesting locations, comfy as fuck.

I hate the fact that you can't point out any flaws about the game because there has been so much shitposting

I hope they have seasons in the next game

>Introduce seasons
>Reintroduce the Rod of Seasons to change them manually

Faron was great to travel in. It seemed overgrown and wild. Akkala is great too, since I love autumn aesthetics

Riding over Lake Hylia

This would be great if they take the opportunity to had some special/unique monsters, location to explore or flowers/loot to take.

But for this to happen, they should get a more unique world too, and abandon the classical lava/frozen land regions formula.

Its ok to point out the game's flaws. Nothing is perfect. But shitters will take minor nitpicks and scrutinise them in isolation and pretend the make the game shit.

There was one moron here then other day complaining that the horse controls sucked. I mean, for fuck sake man.

You know what's weird, I didnt even ride the horse for most of the game. I didnt even realize the game had logical road routes to almost every town and stable. It was a joy to just ride on the roads and take those journeys, that the other travelers would, and see everything on the roads along the way. It's really cool riding from Tarrey Town to Lurelin Village or Rito Village and there are roads the whole way.

Well, you are meant to ride the horse and not control it, you're meant to let it control on its own. But when you do control on its own, I think it can be pretty bad.

But they aren't very good. If he said the game sucks because of that, it's stupid. But saying they suck is a valid point

how would seasons change a desert?

Actual dungeons with actual items along the lines of the older games seems like a solid bet as well. If there's one thing I'm missing while exploring it's being able to run into something more substantial than Shrines. I mean I'm not going to meme that the world is empty since the world feels very well crafted but that's the kind of thing that's missing for me.
That and moving away from the shallow, breakable weapons in favor of something more cohesive.

The breakable weapons are cohesive with the world and game design. What do you mean "more cohesive"?

>doing this for the first time stoned out of my mind
>dragon pops out of the lake
Did you shit yourselves Sup Forums?

Started a challenge run last night. Any ideas for additions?

1.no towers
2. No fast travel except to plateau and medallion
3.no food, except at cooking pots
4.no upgrading armor
5. Get motorcycle as fast as possible then only that for travel

I loved just saddling up the horse and letting it do the driving, freeing me up just to sightsee as the world breezed by. So comfy.

>saying they suck is a valid point
How I thought the horse controls were great. Whats bad about them?

I was spoiled on them or I would have.

Why not master mode?

I like the climbing for half an hour just to get to a shrine

No Mipha or fairies

>I like the climbing for half an hour just to get to a shrine
There isn't a mountain in the game which takes more than a few minutes at most to climb. Shitpost harder.

I beat the game on master mode before. Honestly didnt enjoy it as much. The healing made strategic combat no fun, and the weapons they litter around break the flow of weapon progression

That one road that goes from the archery range to the stable in Lake Hylia region.

They just dont control great, sometimes the horse turns too easily and sometimes you have to press it hard to get it too turn a little. It's far worse than say Red Dead Redemption. At least you can just let the horse ride on its own though

>960x540

Good call. Although im allowing potions so ill cook up any faires

Why is a map so big with only 4 small towns not considered empty?

That seems empty.

I played with simple rule to only heal at inns or stables. Made travelling far more tense and a welcome relief when I spotted civilization in the distance.

>If there's one thing I'm missing while exploring it's being able to run into something more substantial than Shrines.
I mean what could they possibly add to keep things interesting at something more. Like if you were to explore a hidden castle just over a cliff what would you want to get at the end of the castle within the limitations of the gear
>Armor
They've done that
>Puzzles
They've done it
>Rupees
Shit rewards
>Treasure
Usually shit items anyway
>Bosses
They've done it
>Weapons
Been there
>Hidden Market for trading mob pieces
Done it
>Snowboarding minigames
Yep
>Mythical creatures
Been there too
>Korok seeds
Next time maybe they could give us less of those so it feels more rewarding I guess

I think this game has plenty of stuff to find. Personally I would like them to add more things if they could but it seems hard to think of anything else they could add to a hidden area that would be useful or interesting that they haven't already done.

>They just dont control great, sometimes the horse turns too easily and sometimes you have to press it hard to get it too turn a little.
I never had a problem with it myself. I can see a lot of games copying the horse autopilot thing from now on though.

I never used horses.

I guess gameworlds are only not empty if they're big cities like GTA

>Why is a map so big with only 4 small towns not considered empty?
>That seems empty.
Because you're a shitter. There's twice as many towns as that.

I can't be fucked to google all the proper names, but:
>desert town
>fish town
>birb town
>seaside village
>volcanic town
>dye shop town
>jap village
>desert outpost
>lost woods, sorta
>hyrule castle, sorta

Not to mention all the one-off cabins, camps, stables, and travelers. The world actually seems pretty lively considering how recent the great calamity was.

You have a limited selection of actual weapon types in BotW that only have one standard attack and a charge attack. The game can never assume what you actually have access to because you're constantly cycling out differently statted weapons made of different materials, potentially with different elemental attributes. Your access to a glider or your runes isn't even a particular guarantee since you can just escape the plateau if you really want to I think.
I just want the game to be sort of capable of making assumptions as to what you might have access to and flesh some elements (like a consistent weapon or items) and interactions out a bit more because the combat in BotW is quite shallow due to how underdeveloped it is and on the other hand moderately deep because of all the possible interactions your limited moveset and the environment can produce and that you have access to. I can't really describe that in one word though, maybe focused is a better choice of word.

You don't ever have to climb that long and you can probably get around a bit of climbing by setting fire to grass or using a few octo-balloons on something you can stand on. I may at this point be spoiled by ** climbing gear and a larger stamina wheel though since that lets me get up sizable cliff pretty quick.

I want to delve into a cave or see a long unopened door open and not dread seeing a neon shrine that might just be a blessing. Maybe something vaguely shrine adjacent (or better yet a dungeon) but not actually a shrine.
I guess the game not having anything to reward you with in that context is endemic to its design.
And yeah I did mention that the game doesn't feel empty, there is plenty of stuff to find.

Same.

I think the itemization and rewards are really good as they are. Rupees are actually useful in a Zelda game for once. Only place left I can see is going full RPG.

Agreed. Autumn is my favorite season, and Akkala is perfect for that.

As someone who considers BotW to be GotY 2017, and one of my favorite games of all time, Master Mode is legit the worst 'Hard Mode' ever put in a videogame and actively makes the game worse in nearly every way. I was insanely baffled by how fucking bad it is.

What I dont get is what other open worlds measure up to this one. And of the aforementioned games which has gameplay, atmosphere, etc that all trump this game in spades?

In a sea of samey open world, only Morrowind, Red Dead, and New Vegas stand as stand out titles that offer a unique world with intresting content to keep you invested for hours on end. Neither of these games have particulary engaging or challenging combat, and yet don't get shit posted to death like this does.

New Vegas is buggy, not fully realized due to budgetay and needing to meet dead lines. Red Dead is insultingly easy. Morrowind has attrocious combat and NPCs are literally encyclopedias.

Mind you I love the aformentioned games and consider them the pinnacle of open world. I'd put Breath of the Wild right there. No game is perfect or even close. But if you can't differentiate labors of love and products that are meant to generate profit purely, then don't comment.

Dunno why you're complaining when it's practically the same Hero Mode included in other Zelda games. Enemies are tougher and hit harder, you get more treasure, and the monster gauntlets become even tougher to tackle. The game even gives you a white-maned crusher lynel at the very beginning to murder and get a set of the strongest weapons right off the bat. And by then you should be familiar enough with the game to be able to cruise through Hyrule Castle no problem to gather more Royal weapons when you run low.

>Did you shit yourselves Sup Forums?

I started panicking because I never saw one before and I was going under Hyrule Bridge on a raft. I thought I was 100% fucked since I can barely fight fucking Octoroks on a raft

The only open world game I'd put next to BotW is New Vegas, and that's mostly because mods can patchwerk some of the bugs out and also provide an insane amount of additional content.

Literally the only reason I would ever hope for a 3rd party Nintendo is so games like Breath of the Wild could be easily moddable. I'd never stop playing it.

>falseflag-kun keeps making the same thread praising the same ugly screenshots
>nintenbros fall for it and reply seriously every time
kek

Shitters can't accept Nintendo made the game of the decade. Oh dear.

I think the kind of people who always try to play up other open world games just don't factor in polish, just features. Even if those features are jank or completely broken.

this so much. The shitposters NEVER compare it to any other game. I've had people bring Skyrim, S K Y R I M, as a superior open world agme last time I asked not even shitting you right now

Thats a really good point. Considering the engine and the sheer complexity of the game, its fucking astonishing BotW is as polished as it is.

Around the Great Plateau, around Hyrule Field, and that road that leads to the stable in Akkala near the ocean.

>Neither of these games have particulary engaging or challenging combat, and yet don't get shit posted to death like this does.
Sup Forums cannot stomach the humiliation of being so hilariously BTFO by Nintendo when BotW and the Switch launched. They've been desperately trying to retcon history all year.

Master mode is way better in the other ones, mostly due to the fact that pots no longer drop health, so you bring all the health your gonna get. It didnt change rewards, and i dont remember enemies taking more hits. They dealt more damage though

Openworld is a mediocre genre. It gives you the freedom to consume content and the promise of great adventures without the actual challenge and attachment of linear games. They are popular for the same reason facebook or imgur is popular, because it gives you reasons to be busy, but a good open world game can barely be compared to a good linear game, if only because of the intended target audience.

Why is the exploration in this game so shit? There are only like 7 monster types and 3 melee weapon types. There's nothing to explore and no reason to go back to areas as you progress through the game. The rewards for exploration are meaningless too besides a few shrines giving you some pieces of armor. Why did this game get so much praise when its open world is shallower than the puddle of water left in a cup after you finish drinking it?

OK

This

When should I go get the master sword? I've been at over 13 hearts for a while now, but have only done 2 divine beasts.

Whenever you want?

fuck the sword trials on master mode
also i fucking love akkala best region in the game

you've got 13 hearts, go right ahead. Lost Woods is a bit of a bitch though, i needed to look up a guide, as the guides of the torches stop like 1/4 a way in.

I think it goes even beyond polish to like, soundness of fundamental design if that makes any sense. No matter what you do, it always feels like the developer either thought of that or programmed the systems so robustly that it still works. Whereas playing New Vegas or any Bethesda game, there's always these mechanics that are trivially abuseable to shit, and I constantly have to worry about accidentally breaking quest scripting or sequence breaking or other strange immersion-shattering scenarios.

I love Morrowind, but the game is so badly designed. There are things in the game that are so broken it's unbelievable, and I don't even mean just glitches, like the positive feedback loop of Fortify Intelligence alchemy potions.

tfw i was the only person in the world who had no trouble with the lost woods

So it's practically the same thing then, as you still bring all your health in BotW too, and the game still pauses in others so you can drink potions. Nothing has changed, and you should be familiar enough in BotW by the time you start Master Mode to know to not just brute force battles, where the strong weapons are, and how to mitigate durability loss even more.

why every screen from this game looks the same

Because there's very little variety in the game world

>tfw it was spoiled to me by some faggot user
Kys faggot user whoever you were. I think I would've been able to figure it out anyway though.

Have to admit I was confused at first so I went back tothe neaby stable at the foot of the mountain. And old man stablehand mentioned the forest and how the WIND scared him. So I immediately knew what to do after that.

because nobody ever takes screenshots in the tundra, or in the desert, or in the fucking volcano.

Dropped this game a while ago after dicking around in the desert for hours, now i find it incredibly hard to get back into. Is this the worst section of the game? I found the rainy zora area enjoyable but this one is just ass

You posted it OP.
That area is rad.

Then don't dick around in the desert? I really love that zone. Use sand seals you dip.

But I need to find some dude to help link cross dress to enter Gerudo village

Shitters.

Post a screenshot from anywhere in the overworld and I'll tell you exactly where it was taken.

He's at the oasis

I did the desert last.

There are clues given by the villagers if you ask around, but if you really need to know he's at the oasis in the morning before it gets too hot,
on the shop roof

Aw man, I looked around in the oasis only when I first entered here. Thanks

>Get to last safe junction if fog gets noticeably thicker
At least that's how I remembered it. Can't remember the exact specifics though. Not sure how you wouldn't eventually just learn how to do it.

Is season pass worth it?

That sounds like a fun game. What's the best way to get screenshots off the Switch?

It's a bitch. Upload to it twitter or facebook and download it from there. That's your only option

>page 10
how new do you have to be to not use the catalogue

Anyone who uses the catalog is an actual newfag. It's the reason we got so many shitty generals. Just fucking browse the front page, fuck's sake.

depends on if it's up your alley. I enjoyed the master sword trials a lot. gauntlet style levels you have to clear with only the tools you're given and pick up from enemies. However, if you have upgraded sheika slate statis can break a few of the solo fights

I'm 50 hours in, already beat two divine beasts (Naboris and Ruta) and found a few of the memories. What should my next step be? Travel north?

I mark this as the worst post created today

Oh wow, my feelings are so hurt that someone who's been here less than a decade thinks little of me

>i find it incredibly hard to get back into
I absolutely loved BotW one of the best games I have played for years, but I completed it, all shrines on release, did the same when master mode came, and tried to play it a 3rd time when the champions ballad came out, I did 3 bests, got to the desert, which is my fav area and gave up. Not been able to get back into it since.
I have not done the champions ballad, or the trial of the sword.
I guess I just need a long hiatus as I had put about 500 hours into the game last year.

>not using the catalog

If you have an SD card save it to that and then just stick it in your PC.

Again, the catalog and your abject laziness is literally the reason generals took over so many boards. I fucking hate you people

Well if you're looking for memories you can always stop by stables, the painter guy can tell you a general direction to look for any that you haven't got in the local area.