>absolutely destroy a boss in game
>custscene plays
>you actually lost lmao go fuck yourself
Why is this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c
youtube.com/watch?v=zhmO9NOFHfo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because sometimes the heroes need to lose in the narrative. I'd rather it be a winnable boss fight so I get an actual fight and then lose in the cutscene than some shit where the enemy just does 9999 damage and wipes your party.

If the narrative doesn't respect player input, then it's a shit game.

>boss absolutely destroys you
>you think a cutscene is going to play when you're about to die but you actually have to defeat him.

Xenogears does this like 10+ times and it's annoying

>boss getting his ass kicked
>"now its my turn"
>takes 90% of your health

Playing xeno2 son?

Fairy Fencer F in a shellnut.

>Use a shitload of rare consumable items to keep the fight going as long as possible
>You don't get them back

Then make them lose in the narrative, not the gameplay. Just have a cutscene of him kicking my ass to show how powerful he is, instead of making me fight him and make him my bitch, only to be told "no you lost XD" at the end.
And the latter option you listed is infinitely better.

I love/hate this.

Xenoblade 2 pulls this shit way too much

>fighting game story mode
>two characters get into a fight over a mild argument
>fight ends with you using a finisher that shatters your opponent's spine/launches them into space/vaporizes their soul
>next cutscene they act as if they just had a sparring match

>being so autistic that you shatter an opponent's spine during a mild argument

just use the handshake button ffs

>turn based RPG
>you use epic magic that summons a giant dragon from the moon to launch a gigantic laser to the planet, vaporazing an entire continent
>-300HP
>enemies act as if they just recieved an arrow or a punch to the face
>battle continues

>early boss is very tough
>meant to lose it
>beating them doesn't really give you anything

Tales of Symphonia did this and the cutscene didn't even say "hey you're pretty good but I still beat you" or anything, it's just "lol you got your ass kicked buddy nothin personnel"

>characters don't respond to button inputs during cutscene and always do the same scripted things every time

WHY DO THEY PERMIT THIS

>Early boss is very tough
>Meant to lose to it
>Winning gives you a kickass weapon even though you still 'lose'

Bros. Attacks in M&L

>spam potions and facetank the boss like a retard
>in cutscene it shows you doing some acrobatics shit

youtube.com/watch?v=OKZZEPoVb4c

Your second alternative is much better, and if done well could be hype as fuck.

>dmg boss health till the end of his health bar
>Boss:"I guess your not as weak as I though"
>boss charges his power
>boss theme kicks in
>new health bar appears
>you attack but it doesn't even damage him
>he charges an attack and wipes you party
>all while in game

Name (7) games that actually do this. I'll wait

I wish a game kept stats on your average damage taken on a level and gave you variant cutscenes, where a PC who took very little damage does some cool shit and looks smooth while doing it, and some fuckup who gets hit all the time gets knocked about like a fool.

Too much work for too little reward really for most devs to consider, but it'd be nice.

>Destroyed by the boss I didn't think I was actually supposed to win several times
>Decide I probably need to grind
>A few levels later I come back and decimate the fucker
>Second form

The only time i remember this ever not happening is when you fight Squall for the 1st time in KH1 albeit you dont fully win

It would honestly waste too much resources. Cutscenes in general can be quite expensive if you want to do cool unique animations for them with voice acting included.

kek
this one also
youtube.com/watch?v=zhmO9NOFHfo

Best option.
Making intentionally overtuned boss fights with kickass rewards for managing to win are always the best route.
Bonus points if the post fight cutscene changes slightly, like the boss stumbling backwards and getting super pissed that you fucked him up a bit instead of rolling over like a bitch before he autowin zaps your party.

I hate this
>fight boss
>lose
GAME OVER
>win
>cutscene starts
>timeskip
>you lost to the boss
THEN WHAT'S THE POINT OF MAKING ME WIN

This is definitely me with the secret boss of Dragon Quest VIII

They handle it pretty well in Kingdom Hearts 1. You beat Squall, Sora collapses exhausted, Squall gets roasted by Yuffie.

Because the health bar is not a literal indication of the state of the boss's health, it is an abstraction by the game to show the progress the player is making toward this particular challenge ie beating the boss. This happens in other ways as well. Normal enemies die immediately after their health is drained, but some story relevant enemies will lose but still be alive. Shouldn't they be dead and gone forever? No, again, it's just an abstraction. Deal a certain amount of damage before you die to complete the challenge. There are a myriad of ways this could be represented besides a health bar, but hey if it ain't broke don't fix it.

>kill the enemy
>after dying 30 times you win and cutscene shows you dying
or the other
>objetive
>survive

>Beat boss and then lose in cutscene.
Player disconnect
>You're supposed to lose the fight.
Miss out on proper boss.

You lose either way.