Lootboxes

You have one minute to explain why cosmetic based loot boxes shouldn't exist

If it's cosmetic literally who gives a fuck. "Oh no I can't get the meme skin :(" fucking pussies.

all lootboxes are fine
so long as they stay in western trash and gacha games and don't infest the games I play

because character customization used to be a standard feature that didnt involve nickle and diming us with gambling boxes

All items should be obtainable through normal hard work. Getting them through RNG is a garbage practice, and when you can pay for them as well they have all the more reason to make it harder to get them.

THE CHILDREN!!!11

I dont care if retards want to pay $100000 for cosmetic shit

they are idiots

Yea but also back then DLC was very popular

But every skin can be purchased with coins you get from the boxes (and duplicates).

>people ITT unironically defending lootboxes
Sup Forums really is dead.

because why are unlockables gated by real money purchases?

You've already paid for the game, how is it "okay" that shit in the game is 'only' unlockable by more purchases? its a bait & switch almost.

and Blizzard is so lucky, because the best defense the drones have is "but you can earn them in game!!"
Yeah except it takes 30 hours to earn 5 boxes, and you might not even get what you want.

What good does it do for the average player?

nice argument

Bud, they give so many options to get boxes, let alone ones from exp. you clearly haven't played OW before.

You're right dlc is no longer popular.

they don't shouldn't have to pay for dlc

I have no problem with how OW does loot boxes. They're purely cosmetic and don't give advantages at all, you can earn boxes just by playing the game and they've added more methods than just by leveling up. The only real grip is that some skins are event locked. If they made it that you could just buy the skin with points after the event then that'd be great.

If people wanna blow money on boxes, that's fine. Just don't lock away the game or give unfair advantages.

Because I lack all self control and need the government to stop me spending all my shekels trying to get the Roadhouse buttplug costume

i spent $10 on pubg keys yesterday and got a $13 skin, loot crates are all profit if youre smart about it.

Thanks for the laughs user

It encourages publishers to make characters have fucking ugly default looks.

Easy. Cosmetic content is and should be treated no different than any other game content. Its simply a kind of content. The excuse that "oh its only cosmetic, so shitty policies are okay" is unacceptable.

Talking about lootboxes specifically is separate and must be in a larger discussion of overall game monetization and the boxes themselves (ie is it a pay to play or free to play? Subscription? Are the lootboxes real-money exclusive or awarded in game? Are there time limited events with different boxes to encourage people to buy a shitload? What is the chance of getting the "good" stuff in the loot boxes? )

However, cosmetic content should not be treated as second-class or under different rules in terms of exclusivity or availability, no matter the rest of it.

I dislike when skins have limited release timers which lootboxes often use to incentivize spending money. I do like creating a chest hoard though.

Yeah but why turn it into a fucking gamble? You can provide equally no reason in favor of lootboxes as youre assuming others can against them. Why not just let me unlock them in a standard way or spend money to purchase them early? Why fuck people over and turn it into a roll of the dice? Oh, I know. It is so they can squeeze as much money out of you as physically possible. If you're for lootboxes youre basically saying you accept the idea of companies fucking you in the ass.

If they want to sell you a skin just sell it directly

>why cosmetic based loot boxes shouldn't exist
Because I already paid for the fucking game, you greedy dicksucking cunt

nice argument

you don't need to like or use them to be for lootboxes

>buy a game
>get all the content
what a silly idea that is, I'm glad lootboxes, DLC and pre-order bonuses exist
i love when an industry shits down my throat, just can't get enough

Lootboxes would be fine if you were guaranteed a 'rare' drop from every one.
Not 20+ lootboxs of GBBG

Thats why card games get away with it.

cosmetics are barely content

because it would be 1000x better if you unlocked all those skins or whatever through doing something in game instead of with money

i played it for 30 hours then never again
realized the only reason why i played was for the boxes.

They should exist

Because schooling fags who have legendary skins with my stick skin always 100% gets them salty

>hurr you don't HAVE to buy them user you don't NEED them
>why don't you just control yourself?

Why don't developers "just control themselves"? They don't NEED to include lootboxes.

because i don't want my chances of getting a piece of cosmetic i like being artificially locked behind RNG

I don't care about color swaps or cosmetic shit, but having to obtain new characters or weapons (that aren't just reskins) up to chance is scummy.

this

In Starcraft 2 even fucking portrait is gained by winning matches with your race and even portrait was something to be somehow proud of. Lootboxes are only cashbait and peoples eat them like fucking pizza with pineapple.

Randomized skinner box bullshit is garbage. Have unlovks tied to achievements or playstyle choices like in halo 3 and you actually incentivize varied play and player investment, as opposed to using ramdom grind bullshit to farm your players time and kill enjoyment.

They are a necessary evil, if people want continuous updates and servers than the game needs a continuous source of income.

except they kinda do

this

Didn't they get rid of that magazine because some SJW got mad?

probably

1) Sabotage of cohesive aesthetic. Cosmetics aren't so bad if devs can keep to the theme, but most of the time it swiftly devolves into retarded clown shit that's fucking awful to look at and in some cases even impacts game play in cases of poorer visuals (such as an ability being harder to see if you use a certain skin).

2) Devs are holding customization hostage because they know that it's an enjoyable player experience. Everyone loves creating their own character, for the most part unique to them. It's a simple, easy way to add fun.
While F2P is a different deal, abusing this sentiment in a full price game speaks to a dev team that doesn't respect their players and doesn't care about their game.

Also, even something as fucking stupid as player avatars - fucking 16x16 mspaint images you could outsource to an elementary school - is delivered piecemeal now.

3) Insidiously targeting children and people with gambling addictions to massively inflate profits. Obviously a retard is free blow their cash how they choose, but that doesn't mean I have to support or encourage it in my hobby. Add on the non-permanence of online games where lootboxes reign supreme and it gets even worse.
These poor bastards have no sense of long term consequences, and these con-men have no sense of shame.
They are essentially sub-human.

however back in the day multiplayer games didnt get supported for free for decades

lootboxes have allowed TF2 to be supported for 10 years without the need for paid expansions or subcription fees

>Why don't developers "just control themselves"? They don't NEED to include lootboxes.

sure they dont need to, if you dont want em to update the game

if blizz decided they could make more money developing diablo 4 or whatever, why would they keep working on overwatch?

the lootboxes give an incentive to the devs to keep updating the game for free, adding more characters and maps

>1) Sabotage of cohesive aesthetic.

this doesnt affect gameplay so its not that important

>2) Devs are holding customization hostage because they know that it's an enjoyable player experience.

yes but it gives them a constant money stream and a reason to keep updating the game for free with susbtantial gameplay additions such as maps and characters

>3) Insidiously targeting children and people with gambling addictions to massively inflate profits.

arent games already targeting addicts by default? i mean video game addiction is being considered to be added to the DSM

can a person enjoy opening lootboxes without being addicted to em?

I really like cosmetic based lootboxes. I personally could give less fucks for them, but I love how retards getting obsessed for them, and fund the continuous development of games I enjoy.

However, the absolutely best part is all those fags that get super offended by the existence of lootboxes. It makes me smile how they feel entitled to worthless skins and shit.

Getting mad about purely cosmetic options is inane. They add both a reason to keep playing the game, meaning the community lasts longer, and a a way for developers to keep developing content for games because they have a constant revenue flow.

Cosmetic loot boxes beats the alternative for 80-100 dollar retail games.

The worst part is when they get completely triggered over things that most games never even had to begin with. Literally what multi games have had any sort of actual cosmetic grind outside of CoD and Halo?

Sup Forums has never cared about in game purchases as long as it doesn't affect gameplay you dumb cunt

Because it's gambling and barely anyone can control themselves. Humans evolved in a way to be highly susceptible to gambling.

wrong

>as long as it doesn't affect gameplay
>Dev: Do we make better content, gameplay balances, bug fixes..... or MORE LOOTBOXES
You're nothing but an animal to the corporations you cock sucker.

It was never standard. The standard has pretty much always been having any customization.

while i do agree with you, but now we have online games, which are being "balanced", having content added for free and having dedicated servers, all of which costs money to do and maintain.
Cosmetic stuff is the only lootboxes that are acceptable imo, you are just paying for art, and overwatch gives them for free while playing too.

If you ever watched that episode of south park with the canadian devil, he explains that these type of microtransactions only hook in a small amount of people, ones that would get hooked on this type of shit deserve it really.

I haven't even bought a single lootbox in overwatch, but I have paid for cosmetics in ESO, an mmo

>tf2
>supported

not that I play this game much, but I have like 6000 coins, just waiting for an actual good zarya skin.
coming up to my next gold weapon for some char too

loot boxes that are only through paying shouldn't as long as you can earn them and the full loot in them by just grinding im fine with it.

Lootboxes are retarded, stuff you want should be earnable within the game, if you want it you work towards it. Adding a box where you rely on luck is retarded and forces people to either spend excessive amounts of time or to shaft over actual money

gamebanana.com

If it's cosmetic I don't care. As long as it's something that was created after release and is not content that was obviously ripped out of the main game and shoved in loot boxes.

Game budgets are pretty large nowadays and the price of games has been stuck at $60 for decade. Either prices go up, or you strike a balance (which is usually in the form of a one-time upfront payment with optional microtransactions). MTs usually are what funds the continued development of said games

Lootboxs like Overwatch's are fine. You get them for free a lot of the time, and even if you miss an event or limit time skin, it's just a skin. The problem is when the skin is too over the top and confuses the player during gameplay, if the skin changes the hitboxes, or even if the lootbox itself has items that buff the character: IE a weapon you'd normally have to grind for.

Overwatch lootboxes are shit but they still beat the shit out of TF2 ones. At least you can get a bunch of shit instead of 1 garbage shit strange weapon or whatever. Besides that at least in Overwatch you don't have to jump through hoops to get the stuff you want like crafting or trading. Oh and don't forget Valves jewish scheme of paying for campaign passes to get stuff now. TF2 died with that among it's retarded new game balance.