Ecco the dolphin

Hi Sup Forums what do you think about this games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lXIt71ygjIg&index=3&list=PL17AA9A1AB8A41F34
youtu.be/8IZ7GCqB_O0
youtu.be/xzdShv9Rfv4
youtube.com/watch?v=chu7_SRvZm0
youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0q8P_6pMw
vice.com/en_us/article/exmjpz/the-ketamine-secrets-of-segas-ecco-the-dolphin-347
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Very fun games, but I haven't played Ecco or Tides of Time in maybe over 20 years now. I still remember that I liked Tides of Time more.

nice graphics, but the game is too difficult to play because awkward controls and lack of direction.

I like the game, but I was not prepared for all that crazy spoopy shit and claustrophobia.

Spooked me as a kid, so I didn't really play it. Plus I was way more into Sonic, Lost Vikings, Toy Story, and Cal Ripken Baseball

Fantastic, and Tides of Time is my favorite game.

Like most games developed by europeans (american-based studio, but most Ecco devs were hungarian IIRC) in the 90s, interesting concept, but mediocre execution.

To sum up game devs in the 90s:

>Europeans (especially brits)
Good concept, often great programming skills, good art and subpar gameplay.
>Japanese
Good concept, decent programming, good art and great gameplay.
>Taiwanese
No official tools, let's emulate everything the japanese are doing and steal some sound drivers and sprites too while we are at it.
>Americans
Shit concept, programming, art and gameplay.

Great games. It could have been better. The original Genesis versions are particularly clunky and difficult. The Sega CD versions are great and much easier though. Top tier music on both versions.

They are very surreal and intriguing. There is nothing else out there like Ecco 1 / 2, or captures even remotely the same atmosphere / feeling.

Also Ecco 1 was ridiculously hard

>Shit concept, programming, art and gameplay.
Might and Magic was made in the States, your argument is invalid

you can consider Ecco and Ecco 2 as primitive examples of survival horror in my book! Don't treat them super seriously, like your super-serious twitchy shootemups or beatemups, and enjoy them for what they are.

They're less about your "arcade action" with requisite technical execution and more of your experiential exploration games, with the tension of air management and scary enemies ambushing you FROM FUCKING EVERYWHERE. Poor little dolphin, he gets no fucking break on this rape train.

Still need to play Defender of the Future one of these days.

I thought the Sega CD version's music was not very good. The game had a distinct musical feel to it on the Genesis, and this feel wasn't translated to the Sega CD version at all. All the songs were completely different.

I used to draw little doodles of this jellyfish on my notes during elementary / middle school

youtube.com/watch?v=lXIt71ygjIg&index=3&list=PL17AA9A1AB8A41F34

Implying this isn't second best score to a Genesis game

Good but ridiculously hard. Didn't beat either of them until a few months ago and basically had to use a guide. I chose not to chicken out on City of Forever though.

Made me feel slightly depressed as a kid because of quiet and alone the game is, at least at the beginning. I really liked swimming - it felt good. I still have one of them for the Genesis. Left a mark on me but it's not in my pool of favorites.

Surprised they haven't made a sequel. Two or three years ago during the whole vaporwave, synthwave wave peak would have been the perfect time. It could have been A E S T H E T I C the game youtu.be/8IZ7GCqB_O0

T. salty brit bitch and a weeaboo to boot

They were trying to but it didn't take off.

I prefer the Genesis music too but the Sega CD music is still great. It's got that Vangelis Blade Runner feel youtu.be/xzdShv9Rfv4

am I the only one how enjoyed the Dreamcast game

Same, the game was too hard and confusing for me as a kid but I just liked the music and swimming around. I actually just beat it for the first time a few months back

it's a brilliant idea for a game; we know so little about the deep ocean compared to the rest of the world's environments that there might as well be magic down there. Adding in the time-travelling aspects, the alien invasions and the good / bad timelines just made it even more interesting. Also I liked all the intelligent sea life with the complete absence of humans in the story. They had a perfect opportunity to go all preachy and make polluting and poaching humans the enemy, but they didn't.
I don't know why there has not been a sequel or at least a spiritual successor in all this time.

I-I liked it t-too.

Tell me one non-PC game made in the 90s by americans.

defender of the future is GOD TIER

still hurt about the cancelled sequel ?

>British weaboo
Fucking disgusting.

the second game was beatable as a kid
the first game was fucking impossible

Dolphins are proven to be the most aesthetic animal

Nothing startled me more than those fucking crabs coming at you like a rubber band snapping

CD version is possible because you get checkpoints. I know it's possible because I did it a few months ago. Even with frequent checkpoints it's a pain in the ass though

>no cyberpunk sequel where you play as an augmented heroin addicted dolphin

the hell were they thinking

Whatever it was it was probably on ketamine

>people can only be creative on drugs

Mortal Kombat?

I remember that one. That game reminded me of Big Trouble in Little China.

What did the Vortex want again?
Where did the Asterite come from?
Where is humanity during all this?

>Where is humanity during all this?
Either too oblivious to realize just how close to fucked they were if the Vortex turned towards them for a second course, or too scattered and decimated to be worth paying attention to (if you think the games are "post-apocalyptic").

>What did the Vortex want again?
Food

You're worse than him

I still find it very amusing that the work done on the Ecco sequel that never was, was ultimately reshaped and molded into Jaws Unleashed of all things. You can consider it Ecco Gaiden: What's Happening while Ecco Goes Back in Time

I always thought it was the former. Humans were just unaware of the crazy shit that was going on out in the middle of nowhere in the ocean. They probably knew by the time you travel to the future, but by then psychic dolphins pretty much had shit handled, and the majority of humans had probably fucked off to other planets by then themselves.

how could this game best be translated into 3D?
I don't think Defender of the Future did a very good job of it

it was?

DOTF was great idk what your on about

best sleepy music

youtube.com/watch?v=chu7_SRvZm0

youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0q8P_6pMw

>he doesn't know the connections between dolphins, ketamine and the early 90s
>putting words in my mouth

vice.com/en_us/article/exmjpz/the-ketamine-secrets-of-segas-ecco-the-dolphin-347

>vice.com
Might as well be linking to The Onion

might as well read the article before making up your mind about it like some kind of mindless drone

The creator of Ecco said that he read a lot of stuff by John Lilly. John Lilly was one of the NASA funded scientists that tried to communicate with dolphins. Later in his life he did a lot of experiments with Ketamine and LSD and sort of went nuts. He claimed he was being contacted by an alien entity he called Earth Coincidence Control Office (Ecco). The novel Altered States was based on his experiments.

I'm sorry, the blurriness of that image is too distracting. Let's look at this one instead.

More atmospheric than Super Metroid

Fantastic ambience and atmosphere
Gameplay is frustrating as fuck

controls are not awkward, you just need to get used to it

>american based studio
Lol.
Also DotF has a surprisingly decent story, however clusterfuck it is.

Gameplay itself was pretty meh and sometimes downright sadistic in difficulty, but the art style, music, atmosphere and overall uniqueness of it all totally made up for it.
I'd really love sequel/reboot desu.

last time I played this I got stuck on
fucking, I have no idea where I was when I got stuck. I just floated and swam about spamming the echolocation button like a retarded trying to find whatever I was looking for. it also kinda felt like shit to control, so that didn't help. felt comfy tho

A sequel that takes place in a large interconnected level like Castlevania Symphony of the Night would be GOAT

the controls arent that bad, especially if you use a stick. The problem is that you can easily get stuck on walls and hitting anything completely kills your momentum, that paired with enemies that respawn as soon as they're off screen means you're always running into shit. The sound it makes when you run into something or take damage gets so annoying after a while.

the combat is too simple. All you could do is charge at enemies and later you could damage them with your singing sound-waves.
I don't think it work very well as a revived franchise today unless they found a way to expand on the combat a lot, or if they found a way to make the original combat a lot more fun

First game for gaymers

>it’s shit because it’s hard
fucking gen z

where in this thread did anyone say that?

I only know of this game because of blueglass.