Real Turn with Pause

What does Sup Forums think about rtwp as gameplay?

Fun system that, although inferior to turn based, deserves to show up in a few games for the sake of variety. Pillars of Eternity is a great game. Also, in regards to your webm: Git gud, scrub.

OP's game looks fun, is it Pillars of Eternity? Would I have to play the first to understand the second?

The worst of the 2 systems combined

>can't have any depth, difficulty or strategy from turn based combat, because it is restricted by its free movement rules
>can't be fast paced or rely on motor coordination from being action based, because you can just pause anytime anyway

>OP's game looks fun, is it Pillars of Eternity?
Yes
>Would I have to play the first to understand the second?
Not really, but it helps. It's one of those whole "Choices carry over" kind of sequel, and you can just emulate them at the start of the second game, but it's not the same thing.

I'd def recommend playing PoE before the sequel. The games have an extensive internal lore that can be confusing as well as the sequel brings back a few retuning companions you may not be attached to had you not spent 90+ hours adventuring with in the first game.

It ought to be really slow. Best case scenario would be to pause whenever an action ends so you can input a new command. Movement across the map should be a big factor in each fight.

Fucking this, I hate this shit. You don't get any of the fun from fast-paced mechanical combat or the strategy of turn-based and/or tile-based combat. Just pick on you cunts.

That being said I have played on game that did it well, Heat Signature, where the entire game is based around pausing and would probably still be better if it wasn't.

real time with pause the highs from winning are so good compared to turn based. everyone has played a turn based game where you know you are going to win like 8 turns from completion and the turns left over are a mop up.

rtwp you get the same thing faster but with the strategic choice of pausing to calculate movement and action, to watching it play out. then you're left watching the AI enemies react is so much faster and involved.

turn based is based

if a fight hits certain victory with that many turns left either the designer was shit at balancing that encounter or your character is shit at killing what it's fighting or something. I can see it being down to a single chump enemy that you know you're going to kill but anything more than like 5 turns to do it and that's either some tanky enemy or you're doing chip damage

I don't care for it much but it has it's place.

Too bad it's place isn't with DnD rulesets so most crpgs are shit.

I think it's awful
Only games where I can stand it are BG and 7,62HC
PoE makes it probably worse with its boring combat
Why would you ever ask for this kind of gameplay is beyond me, I just assume is some nostalgia factor or try hard morons who actually use the term crpg

It's shit but I love that scrolling combat log

Dragon Age Origins did it well imo. It really helped that you can program your party pretty in depth though for a lot of situations so the AI can handle itself while you play your main

yeah the AI did wonders with the system on it

PoE 2 is gonna have system like that, ala Final Fantasy XII will all sorts of advanced triggers. It looks neat.

It's Sawyer as far away as possible from the combat or he will do everything in his power to bore me?

It is going to have gambits? Holy shit, something that made me furious in poe was that the ai didn't obey, and i had to give the same commands a million times

No. Sawyer is the lead.

Yes

If it’s Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale, it’s 10/10 GOTY revolutionary formula for contemplative and sophisticated gamers.

If it’s in any other game, it’s a convoluted pile of shit that’s objectively worse than turn-based or real-time combat.

It's okay for RPG combat, but it really shines in real-time tactics games like Commandos or Shadow Tactics.

>Baldur’s Gate or Icewind Dale
Are these the most overrated games of all time? Jesus Christ the combat AND rping are both terrible.

Actuall shit. Just go full tactics or action.

needs to be single player,
doesn't work so well in MP.

HW series does it great.

how is rtwp less tactical than other battle systems?

its neat

>Would I have to play the first to understand the second?
Absolutely. The second game is a direct sequel and features many returning characters.

Worst of two worlds.

It's the retarded kid of turn based and actual real time. Only passable if pausing or slowing down time was an actual ability that used resources.

Remember Sword Coast Legends? Yeah me neither

It's awful. Or more accurately the horrible point & click interfaces it is almost always paired with are horrible. Perhaps the games would be less shit if they controlled well.

Absolute garbage. RTwP games are lucky enough to usually have 10/10 everything else to carry them or else I would never touch them.

>PoE2 will have advanced AI settings

This might actually somewhat salvage the combat.

My choise of gameplay. I pretty much started gaming with BG2 and Ultima Online (no pause though) back in the day.