Just got this game, it really just feels like a rehash of DS1

Just got this game, it really just feels like a rehash of DS1.

>firelink shrine
>another blacksmith named andre and he also looks like andre
>fat armour dude always thinking about stuff
>painted worlds

Why are they even doing a remaster of DS1?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D470q5_z09Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Game is 100% fanservice

That's basically what people wanted, more Dark Souls 1.

>another blacksmith named andre and he also looks like andre
but that blacksmith is the same andre the blacksmith from DS1.

>game contains a few nods to previous games since it's, you know, a sequel set in the same world
>OMG FUCKING REHASH SHIT THIS IS FUCKED UP

how its literally been millions of years since 1

yeah, its almost like it takes place in the same world... and the same series

dumbfuck

Something something time distortions.

>video jame

>THERE MUST ALWAYS BE... AN ANDRE... MY SON

>elite knight armor
>bonfire
>anor londo
>black/silver knights
This, what were they thinking?

He's is undead but smiting is his purpose so he never hollowed out. As long as there was chosen undead/unkindled running around he had purpose.

Given this he was probably one of the last undead to turn hollow

>game has sword
>so did ds1

FUCKING REHASHES

>game is entirely reliant on references to characters and locations with little rhyme or reason instead of building on the ideas of before with new locations and characters
>it's more than half cut bloodborne content
>this is okay

>zero DS2 reference

Intriguing

>what are giants

They wanted a game LIKE dark souls1, ie, interconnected world, multiple builds, metroidvania design, nonlinear gameplay, logical sense in the setting that carries over to the gameplay. They didn't want an EXACT FUCKING CLONE

dont you fucking tell me what i want

but the game is linear . literally you just go in a straight line in DS 3 . in DS you don t even know where to go first , you can go where you want and maybe insta get rekt , in DS3 you are already guided to the first bonfire

We just wanted more games in the spirit of dark souls, not a repackaging of dark souls 1 in the bloodborne style.
That's the number 1 sign to tell if someone is a hack or not, whether or not they understood what made their original product so great to begin with. So instead of making another hit, they just copy what made the first one so good and hope to strike gold twice, instead of understanding it was the process behind its creation that made it so great to begine with

No shit you fucking retard learn to read.

But isn't Dark Souls just repackaged Demon's Souls?

Refined and reworked, but not repackaged. Demon's Souls is unique to itself.

you fucking faggot first you say " They wanted a game LIKE dark souls1"
then you go like " They didn't want an EXACT FUCKING CLONE"

so you IMPLY THAT DS 3 IS A CLONE OF DS1 WHEN IT S NOT , LEARN TO WRITE autist

DS3 is a clone of dark souls1, right down to the pacing and characters. It's literally the exact same fucking game, but in the style of bloodborne.
A game LIKE dark souls would take all it's good points and build a game around that instead of remaking the same fucking game again and selling it as something new.
Literally what a clone is.
Learn some reading comprehension you autist.

He literally talks about the giant from anor londo when you bring him the giants flame so clearly he is the same andre.

Besides for Anor Londo, Andre, Firelink in name, and some call backs that are fine since it's the same fucking series, it really is it's own thing. It's more of a sequel than Dark Souls 2, which is more like it's own thing and doesn't deserve the name

Just got this game, it really just feels like a rehash of Demon's Souls.

>maneaters but they're called bell gargoyles this time
>gargoyles are called batwing demons this time and even serve the same narrative function
>vanguard is called asylum demon and is used three times throughout the game
>archdemons and allant, wow this is nothing like gwyn and the four lords guise

Why do people talk about this like it's some groundbreaking game or something?

These are the brainlets that try to argue here. People who literally can not read on a text/image based board.

>People mad a sequel has callbacks and is similar
It's not a spiritual successor your fucks

Do you seriously post on a text board when you can't even read?

It's not even a rehash though

>mirrah set
>Creighton
>alva set
>fume ultra
>desert pyromancer set
>earthen peak
That's just off the top of my head. No idea if there are more, but I'd guess yes.

There are a surprising amount of Dark Souls 2 references in this game, actually.

Yes it is

How?

Not sure if you're memeing, but Demon's is the better game by far.

>reuse characters and locations as fanservice
>not in different roles at all

I'm not memeing at all. Dark Souls 1 is derivative as fuck and people who shit on 2 and 3 for doing the same thing are retarded.

Nothing wrong with revisiting Anor Londo, reusing Andre, and having firelink shrine (Which as far as I know is literally only the same in name)

You keep acting like it needs to be as different as Dark was to Demon.
It's a sequel, if every sequel was to your standards they'd hardly be sequels at all

I've gotta say, replaying this and I feel like I judged it too harshly when I first played it two years ago. I'm actually having a lot of fun now, still hate the linear world design though.

My biggest issue is that they ran out of ideas. It does what DS2 did and failed and does it only slightly better, Ganks. To many ganks and multi stage bosses. I think they need to take a few years and really think up new ideas to reinvent itself

>reusing Andre
I don't like this. You can say Anor Londo is a skeleton corpse of a kingdom that died long ago. You can say Firelink Shrine is the same in name only. But Andre has never died? In the thousands of years since DaS1? Is he one of the gods? As far as we know he's human right?

Doing a trophy run makes me hate the game. Who the fuck wants to run through a game three fucking times to 100% it. At least Dark Souls 2 has you stop at the halfway point in NG++. You pretty much have to do NG++ endgame to “complete” dark souls 3. Makes me hate the game doing the same shit over and over again.

He's just never hollowed out. I will actually retract that part, Andre is 100% fan service and nothing else

It's the exact same story. That's not acceptable. It's 'go kill some strong dudes and get their power to link the flame' oh but there's also another ending where you don't. A third ending? Simply revolutionary.

A proper sequel takes characters and tells a different story with them. They could have at least done an inversion or something, live in an age of dark and snuff out the embers of the flame with the other ending being relighting the flame, but no, it's the same exact story as DaS1.

I guess it's a cop out, but it has a pretty good lore reason.
Plus who cares about the fucking story. The lore is the fun part and everything else is just to serve gameplay. It all boils down to killing monsters and shit, the story of why you're doing it really doesn't matter much if at all. Bloodborne even tells you this

Dark Souls 1 is the exact same story of Demon's Souls.
>go and kill all the archdemons and have a final fight with a broken king
>go and collect all the lord souls and have a final fight with a broken king

the thing about being undead means you never die user

Not to mention the DLC is fucking wasted potential exploring some shit no one cares about.

>final Fantasy has potions and Phoenix downs in every game
Dude every final Fantasy is a rehash!!!
And what's up with Pikachu being in every pokemon??

>I still don't know what dark souls story is about
get it together user

Wasn't the whole purpose of Ds3 resembling Ds1 to show how the world is just in a cycle? It's a constant battle of relighting the flame as it begins to die.

Ds3 is playing off of the idea that this cycle is breaking down, hence why relighting the flame just shows the flame weakly burning your character as opposed to fucking exploding. I took the similarities as the Ashen One being the one to finally put an end to the cycle by snuffing out the flame.

The story is the context for your actions. In a heavily atmosphere-driven game like this, context matters. You don't need an intricate story, but you need context, and DaS3 fails to provide us with any new reason to do anything.

And no, Bloodborne does tell you it matters. It might not actually matter in the end because cosmic horror story, but Gehrman telling you to ascend to Oedon Chapel is him lowkey telling you to go to where the source of the blood is located, and halt the scourge.

Yeah well Demon's is the better game anyway. I mean, rehashing the same story for the third time?

Nice strawman, but poor reading comprehension.

But the entire point and narrative of the series since the first Dark Souls is that people keep linking that fucking fire which causes time and the world to repeat itself in increasingly faint echoes. The first game was early in that process, the second game was after hundreds of cycles, and the third game is at the end of things when the flame is so faint that it can’t continue much longer and the entire world is a bunch of fucked up kingdoms built on top of each other forever. It makes sense.

You have plenty of context, just because it isn't new doesn't mean it's bad. In fact it's probably more meaningful now than in the others.

Can someone explain something about series to me? I watch that VaatiVidya dude but he makes no sense.

So basically, at the end of DS1, you burn up? That causes the curse to go away for a bit?

But you can choose to leave without doing anything, that will cause everything to go dark? Do the dragons come back in that case? And what happens to the world? Are all the structures still there in between ages of fire and dark? I'm starting to think there isn't actually a coherent story in these games.

The idea of the cycle being inherently flawed is great, I like that, but again, could they really have not tried something even a little different? State of the world aside, we're just repeating actions again. Why could we have not done something else to get strong and link the flame? Why did it need to be collecting more not-Lord Souls?

To add on what I said above, it feels pretty meaningless to me. The Lords of Cinder are so far removed from the actual people who are integral to this world, why do they matter? Why should they matter? It's like, go collect the very power of the people basically made the world vs. go collect the power of some guys were also very strong, but have nothing to do with much else. Clearly it's a failed process, why has no one tried to get their own power? I know that's how demons came to be a thing, but a new, risky solution would be great. Miyazaki is, surprisingly, not a hack, but this game felt tired. So we just go collect more Lord Souls.

Miyazaki leaves the actual stories of his games vague, it encourages this kind of community discussion, but also imparts a sense of mystery and heaviness. At the end of DaS1, if you don't link the flame, there's an Age of Dark, not dragons. Grey is dragons, Fire is Lords, Dark is Humanity. It'd be something the world hasn't seen.

Because when you highlight and focus purely on the recurring characters yea, the final in a trilogy does seem a little like the original game.

Dark souls 3 is a great game.

>It's literally the exact same fucking game,
Except it literally isn't, apart from Anor Londo being the same basic layout and the recurring characters.

It's the exact same story and context as DaS1.

It is, just tired. I'm sick of the multi stage bossfights

And that makes it the same in what world? There more to the game than story

DeS=MGS, the original, a wonderful game with many ideas carried over to the rest of the series
DaS1=MGS3, the safe, but lovable sequel, many people started the series with this game and it is timeless.
BB=MGSV, the oddball, something completely different that throws a lot of previous conventions out of the window, but keeps the base that works, has tight controls and the best gameplay of the series, but some people don't like it and feel it's too far from the original games.
DaS2=MGS2, the risky sequel, peoples opinions are split but you either love it or you hate it.
DaS3=MGS4, a self referential mess, explains many mysterious things about the story but in the end has a weaker story over all, the polished controls lead a much easier game for veterans.

It's a rehash of ds1 with some bloodborne leftovers

Am I the only one who beat all the bosses including DLC except soul of cinder? I died to him once and honestly i don't even have interest beating him. I don't even have any intention of doing another playthrough. This game is a one and done experience and a fucking slog.

lol dude let's add jumpscares to our shit game!
youtube.com/watch?v=D470q5_z09Y

>it’s the same story
>no it’s not
>yes it is
>well, okay, it there’s more to a game than story
Way to move the goalpost after getting btfo, user

>not keeping the flame and starting a new age of Hollows with waifu Anri by your side

pleb

Souls are literally how you link the flame. That’s how it’s done. You could have a different objective, sure, but it wouldn’t accomplish linking the flame because you can’t do that without the Souls.

It also makes a great excuse for a game that’s about fighting your way up to some big bosses and killing them.

Scholar of the First Sin was interesting in that it gave your character an objective (defeating the shards of Manus) that was not directly related to linking the fire, but the goal of the main game was still to take the throne of want and link the fire.

How is that a jump scare? The game is full of this stuff and it's not scary.

Fuck off MGS fag, we're talking about a good game series here.

Not him but how is it the same story?

the only one that makes sense is the MGS4 comparison

What? I would say the story is basically the same, but that the general story doesn't matter much. But you also keep acting like the whole game is rehash of DS1, which it is't

You fight the four lords to link the flame.

>the goal of the main game was still to take the throne of want and link the fire.
The goal of the main game is to break the curse, not linking the fire. The EH lies to you right up until the end of the game, telling you that gaining powerful souls and taking the throne is how to break it.

They even rehashed a demon souls boss weapon lmfao and made the boss garbage.

Nobody liked Storm king

Dark Souls is the very embodiment of, "It's like poetry, they rhyme."
the only reason people think the story is "deep" is because the writers decided to be ambiguous with the simple themes and archetypes. In reality dark souls story would be boring and uninteresting if it wasn't ambiguous.
hidetaka miyazaki is the george lucas of video games.
"patches is the key to all of this"

i-i did

As much as I don't like DaS2 as a game, I appreciate that it had a different story, it at least had a different method for achieving the whole first flame deal. I get the feeling that the divisiveness of DaS2 is what caused DaS3 to reuse the 'beat four dudes' story again. Like, there has to be a way to circumvent that, or something else to do. I'm rusty on the niggly details of DaS3 but there's a whole Deep thing and a Profaned Flame, but instead, beat the Lords.

Not either of those guys but it is very much the same basic story:

A random champion is chosen/created by fate to defeat the great lords of the realm and gather their souls, and given the choice to either use them to link the fire and start a new echo of time, or to claim/extinguish the fire and begin an age of dark.

However in DS1 it was pretty much a given that your goal was to link the flame, in DS3 you never really get the impression that anyone actually wants you to do that, and in fact more NPCs suggest that you take the other path and end the whole cycle.

>full of this stuff
yeah there are 2-3 other jumpscare ghouls like that in the dungeon

I'd give the game a bit more credit than that, I feel if they hadn't made DS3 in the same world as 1, a lot of it's story would still hold up.
Although yes there wasn't much to work with, the lore (lol) in the item descriptions and the general feeling of the world given by the characters was really interesting to me when I did play it the first few times.
Hell, my friends and I were convinced the Pigmy was Manus, and you know, he probably was, but they had to change it for DS3.
It's like what the retarded metal gear user said I guess, the story suffered more and more because they made sequels

> Go kill a bunch of bosses to prevent or cause the apocalypse
You mean the same story and context as the entire Souls series?

>dark souls story would be boring and uninteresting if it wasn't ambiguous
>if the game didn't tell the story in the way that it revolutionized, it would be terrible
yeah no shit retard, it did things differently and that's the whole point

It feels like that because you faggots cried that DS2 wasn't a rehash of DS1. Now that you have your DS1 rehash you fucking cry that it wasn't something different like DS2. You Soulsfags have no idea what the fuck you want, and when you think you do, it includes the words "...like DS1". DS1 is always gonna be there, just replay that if that's what you want. Jesus Christ.

>we

Yeah, no shit, that’s why everyone’s creaming their pants over the remaster when I couldn’t give less of a shit.

Yeah. Change it up a bit is my point. There's other good shit there, utilize it.

>dark souls revolutionized ambiguous story telling

I want more gameplay, the story has never mattered in the slightest. Stick me in a bigass semi-linear fantasy world, give me some pretty areas to explore, cool armour to chase and fun bosses to fight.
Bam, Souls game.
Eh, it's fine the way it is.

Name one game that did it before.

He's wrong in that regard, but it certainly popularize it for a modern audience. It's fairly unique in its field today, that's a lot of why is stands out.

>Eh, it's fine the way it is.
Fine, but could be better, honestly.

in the way that you get the information of the world through talking to the NPCs and item descriptions, yes, it did. feel free to disagree with me though if you want to flex to everyone how contrarian you are

You're correct.

>straight up reusing areas from DaS (dude time is convoluted lmao)
>straight up reusing characters from DaS and DaS2 (TIME, DUDE)
>least linear game of the series
>shortest vanilla game of the series
>worst swamp area of the series
>reused BB assets
>shit balance making everything but pure melee unviable
>the poise controversy and the retarded attempts to fix it
>no power stancing
>estus soup. Seriously, what the fuck?
>worst invasion system to date
>covenants broken for months after launch
>FROM's inability to code leading to cheaters making nearly identical exploits to those found in DaS and DaS2 online within days of release, including cheats that give you AN ACTUAL BANHAMMER
>estus drinking animation is fast, lets you keep moving, and heals you early in the animation, encouraging you to take panic sips even at the expense of being hit
>ashen estus flask added just to make anything other than R1 spam even more unappealing

And what good did DaS3 add? We got weapon arts, that was pretty cool. There were some pretty cool locations, the enemy variety was good, and there were a good variety of (mostly crap) spells and miracles. But the sheer weight of its fuckups sours the whole experience quite a bit.

Maybe they made it better through patches, I wouldn't know because the release state of the game left a horrible taste in my mouth. They can't patch out things like lore rape anyways.

>straight up reusing areas from DaS (dude time is convoluted lmao)
literally one