Horror Games Thread ~ All Things Scary/Spooky

Talk about game spooks here.

Any fans of the Siren series online tonight? Can you sell me on this game? I am trying and trying, several hours in, but this game hasn't clicked with me. It doesn't feel very scary because the mission-based design: instead of being constantly put off guard say, on a SH game, I am replaying the same maps over and over with high difficulty/trial-and-error level design... I keep on shifting back to a FAQ because pulling off some of these maneuvers, or completing secondary objectives, feels almost impossible to figure out.

To the game's credit, the graphics (fog effects) and sound design are top-notch though. I don't think I'm far enough in to judge the scariness of the story (my current chapter is the teacher and girl trapped in the school), but I guess I can kinda appreciate the non-linear story as a disorienting tactic. The game's cultural "Japanese-ness" makes it hard to relate though. I want to like this game really bad; I just don't know if I get it.

What are you playing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AHgMNEzKOjw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Honestly the PS3 "remake" is a much better game.

Actually been meaning to get into this game recently, mainly the PS3 version (since apparently it's basically a remake of the one for PS2). Planning on starting The Thing for PS2 tonight. I've heard pretty good things about it so my hopes are pretty high.

Been playing through the Silent Hill series, on the 3rd one right now.

Not really, the PS3 remake is the worst one in the entire series.

how

I started playing this recently, it's different because its set in a mythic version of medieval japan instead of a modern day setting, you play as a shinto priest's daughte and you have acess to some pretty interesting spells to deal with the enemies although their use is severily limited to not turn the game into an action RPG, the most interesting imo are the traps and the summons, I loved the zombie girl summon.

Ah, I did that for the first time (SH1-4) about over a year ago now. Unforgettable experience. SH3 is awesome, though the extreme linearity of the game progression can be exhausting sometimes (I usually took breaks after every major section). The sound design for the enemies really gets under your skin though. I always got tense when I heard those "Pendulum" enemies when entering a room.

I've actually saved up my cash to order a copy of this. Really should have bought it years ago but I didn't care about survival horror back then. People complain in reviews about the limited spells, but I guess if you consider your spells Kuon's version of ammo for guns, it makes sense. I am looking forward to sussing out a "cheap" copy and playing it though.

via PC ports

It doesn't look like it has the same atmosphere, might be a better game in other ways though.

>People complain in reviews about the limited spells
For me those people just didn't get it, you are supposed to ration your spells and use them wisely, now it's true that you can get a bit fucked specially when you are starting out and you are not sure how rare they are, I look at this as an interesting challenge, but then again I like Siren and that game is physically painful to play at times.

Siren 1 and 2 are some of the best horror games of all time. 2 is much easier but 1 has an amazing story.

Planning on playing this in the near future, while not free from the indie pixel stigma the atari style is a nice change.

kind of a Ringu vs Ring thing. Recasting the first ultra-japanese game and transplanting things to a Western setting in order to make it relatable to an international audience.

I mean some games need to do that. Others don't. Fatal Frame 2 is ultra Japanese with a Japanese cult, Jap ghosts, etc. but the main gameplay conceit can be easily moved across cultures (take pictures of ghosts in a scary house). It makes an easier transition even if it clearly a cultural product of Japanese sensibilities.

Siren is about an evil cult and the game is constantly name-dropping Japanese concepts/ideas, along with each character having hard-to-distinguish names for a Western ear - and all of this is delivered in a bland, paid-intern British accent.

"PRUFESSA, WOTS GOIN' ON HEAH?"

"HIMOKO, AH TOLD YEW NOT TO TOUCH THE FOOD, IT'S ALL YOMETSIGUMI; IF YEW SWALLOW YA MIGHT BECOME A SHIBITO AND PERFORM THE ONIGAMI RICHUAL FOR HANUDA SHRINE ON THE DAY OF THE ITSUFUMIKO FESTIVAL - PRETTY ROUGH INNIT"

Like lol, it becomes this word soup that blends together and washes over my gaijin ears. I'll admit fully into being a dummy in that it's hard to take in - but again I'm OP and about 4 hours into the game, so maybe things are still intentionally vague.

looks neat; gfx look more Apple/DOS than Atari to me!

youtube.com/watch?v=AHgMNEzKOjw
I want this to be good but I'm skeptical

Siren 1 is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. if you really want to see that best that the series has to offer with much of the bullshit ironed out then I suggest skipping to the second game.

I think the deal with 1 was that the director wanted people to collaborate online and share tips with each other on how to beat the game. however all this really did was make the it a frustrating obscure mess.
The ps3 remake of 1 dumbs down some of the plot and changes all of the main cast to be Americans but other than that it's way more tolerable to play.

>I think the deal with 1 was that the director wanted people to collaborate online and share tips with each other on how to beat the game.
This is always, always, always a recipe for disaster.

SH1 had cryptic requirements for its endings but it's nothing that you couldn't figure out with a thorough playthrough and some attention to your surroundings. Siren can be frustrating in that you can be placed in a mission with a time-limit for its "good ending" objective and not even know there's a time-limit. One day I'll beat this damn game...

I'm not smart enough atm to emulate PS2 so I will have to wait to play the second game. One of the few times that Europeans are the lucky ones.

It could be good
but from what I've seen it looks like a shitty telltale game with slight additions to gameplay

are there any games with really good gore?

I emulate tons of ps2 games
but Siren runs like garbage, it has this big ass black lines in front of the screen the whole game
as far as I know there's no work around
Also PT and SoulsBorne did the online tip thing and that worked better, more so in SoulsBorne than PT though...

Funnily enough: Resident Evil 7 if I had to think about it. There's a lot of moments in the game that make me wince. I can only imagine how much more visceral it would be in VR.

PS3 remake was not better.

My friend and I were lukewarm on the original whe we first started but quickly got really invested around the school mission

It can be played with the software rendering mode turned on, press F9.

this play in software mode faggots

that's encouraging; that's where I am! Does the plot start to come together and make sense? It's been a lot of cryptic stuff up to this point.

>I'm not smart enough atm to emulate PS2 so I will have to wait to play the second game. One of the few times that Europeans are the lucky ones.
Invest in a $5 FreeMCBoot hacked memory card and a stack of blank DVD's and you'll have the entire PS2's library at your fingertips without any shitty emulator configuring.

I just played Siren and I totally agree with you OP. Some of the secondary objectives are fucking impossible without looking up a guide, don't feel bad about it, trust me. I 100% completed the game, so I guess I enjoyed playing it, but then again I have no intention of playing any other Siren games. The idea of being stealthy to avoid snipers isn't really scary, either, and yeah making it mission-based was a weird choice. Some cutscenes are kind of cool when you get to know the characters. And the environments are pretty spooky.

Also:
>Mrs. Takaaato!

I just finished Echo Night and started the sequel. They are basically adventure games in that you don't fight anything, you solve puzzles to get around and find new areas. It's not really scary, but it's a fun ghost-themed game and has that spooky, uncanny feel that low-poly PS1 games have.

Does anyone know if Echo Night Beyond is any good? Is it the same shit as the previous games?

It's absolutely not, you fucking retard. However it's good as some separate game.

I love the remake just because of the premise. Had a Japaneses company ever made its own American remake before?

What is that one Fatal Frame or whatever game with the really tall ghost in the house? Maiden of Black Lake or something I think the game is called.

I had SH1, 2, and 4 as a kid but sold them because I never really played them, then I re-bought them and ended up playing through 3 and 1 multiple times

by the time I finally got around to 2 I had to try and figure out why everyone jerks it off so much

oh shit dudes
thanker

The 5th one, for the switch. You now, the one where no one was trapped and they had a car and they could have just driven away from the suicide mountain but instead decided to stay nearby the suicide mountain that was fucking with them?

>for the switch
But I remember seeing gameplay of it long before the Switch was announced.

Was this Yuri Lowenthal's first starting role for video games?

wii u.

just recently bought a second hand ps2 and SH 1-4. Half way through the first, pretty damn great but the controls are worse than classic REs

the movement's a lot "weightier" I guess
I'd recommend starting 3 after 1 for maximum SH experience since that's directly tied to 1

really? everyone says to just play in release order

Release order is the way you should watch/read/play anything.
3's story follows 1's up which would be the only reason to play it immediately after, but it really isn't necessary.
I like to think 2 happens during the down time between 1&3 anyway.

ha ha, I disagree- gotta play them in order! The break from Harry/Heather plot will make things stand out all the more.

It might be too jarring to go from SH1's open map to SH3's self-contained maps. SH2 is sort of a mid-point between the two. Plus you miss the nostalgia/callback goodies when you play SH3 following 2.

controls take some getting used to, but it's helpful to learn how to back-step, and you will come to love how you have different controls over your melee attacks (charge-up, quick swing, and bash down, etc.). The game is surprisingly insistent on melee combat, if only because despite fairly generous pistol ammo, it doesn't really do shit.

Objectively false. The original Forbidden Siren is completely obtrusive gameplay wise, all it has going for it is the atmosphere. Same atmosphere that is ruined with how fucking awful the game actually plays and how retarded the logic is for getting collectibles to advance the story.
I will say that Blood Curse is far to casualized in certain ways though, maybe somebody they'll make a sequel with the atmosphere of FS and none of the few ez mode mechanics that BC introduced.

Fatal Frame 6 when?

Dead Space

Echo Night Beyond is the one forr PS2 rright?
I played it, graphics are pretty amazing because of the lightning effects
Got stuck at one point an never beat it, try it out

echo night beyond would be a decent game if it weren't actually the slowest goddamn horror game ever created by man

yeah, I get it, you're in space so you don't really move fast, but even the running is excruciatingly slow, not to mention the fact that once you go near any spaceghosts your heart rate explodes

Horror games used to actually be more video game than most other video games today.

My problem with horror games is it eventually stops being scary when you're just backtracking around and looking for keys or paths. That's why I'd rather watch a movie.

>the slowest goddamn horror game ever created by man
How slow are we talking here?
Like Clock Tower 1 slow?

No survival horror game has ever topped SH1 imo. Then SH 2 and 3 are also 2 and 3 respectively.

They should make horror games like this more. They are immersive in a way few games match.

What else can be done with FF mechanics? When FF1 came out I really enjoyed how innovative it was to play a survival horror by using a camera to fight ghosts. FF2 and FF3 continued the use of Camera Obscura with more compelling stories and graphics, while the latter introduces the modern setting to spice up the horror aspect a little.

I haven't played 4, but by the time I finished 5, I found that everything has been recycled to death: CO mechanics, bad spooky nip ritual X, even the story is becoming more retarded. I hate how they treated Miku so much.

What else can be done for FF?

Oh hey, I wrote the music that plays during the car cutscenes, It's royalty free music called 'vs mode.'

I'd never have found it had john wolfe not played it. Makes me wonder how many games used it and just never let me know.

never played CT1 but it took me about 10 hours to complete the game but it felt like 20 and I honestly contemplated giving up video games as a hobby entirely because it was so painfully slow

not to mention the backtracking necessary for getting the good end adds another hour because of how slow you run

I really like Haunting Ground. It's not scary in the traditional horror sense, but what it does exceptionally well is give you a real sense of panic. Is Clocktower 3 as good?

No, but I like it.

Dunno, not my problem to solve. I just think they're quality survival horror games so I want more of them. I think the first is the best but that's more to do with the execution of the atmosphere and difficulty rather than a sense of innovation, though I do very much like the concept. I will concede that you have a point with the story but I'm more in it to take pictures of spooky ghosts than any narrative so honestly I can't say I care.

No, CT3 is basically an alpha build of Haunting Ground in comparison.

I don't know if I was ever really sold on Siren's gimmick of real faces mapped as textures. It looks weird, and not in a scary/unsettling way, ha ha. I think because the rest of the body is clearly a PS2-era polygon model, it kinda breaks the illusion. I have to commend them for the effort, at least sometimes it almost works (like that gif)!!

looks great in siren 2 imo

played it a couple months ago
breddy good game

/ss/ or cannibalism?

por que no los dos?

That looks like a realistic asian character

I like the way you think

Honestly, Resident Evil Nemesis.
That big bastard is relentless.

I can play through 2 and 1 forever and ever because they're so damn easy outside of arrange mode for 1

but RE3? I'd have to avoid nemesis 99% of the time if I want to feel comfy playing that game

>waits for you right outside of save rooms

NOT FAIR YOU FECKING CUNT

CT3 was okay, i liked it too
Mainly for the crazy songs