Anyone miss serious Sonic?

Anyone miss serious Sonic?

Other urls found in this thread:

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/06/10/more-burning-questions-about-the-sonic-the-hedgehog-franchise-answered.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why are people with pokemon doing serious stuff but lose they're mind when sonic does it

you can't be serious

Anyone miss serious sonic?

>why are people with pokemon doing

Not in the slightest. Colors' tone is the way to go, McNosehair and all.

SA1 is as serious Sonic should get. SA 2 was pushing it and Shadow was too serious. Saying that though, the concept of Black Arms isn't too horrible.

There's a proper way to tackle serious subject matter in stories, even those featuring cartoonish characters.
Sonic hasn't been able to do it well since SA2, and even then it was held back by awful acting and garbage cinematography.

No. The Sonic Boom TV show is the pinnacle of Sonic storytelling. Sonic should never do serious plots again, it should be a comedy.

SA2 is pure kino. They somehow made a game as quotable as a SW Prequel.

>Shadow is secretly made of alien dna
No, Black Arm was an awful idea, and it resulted in Shadow succumbing to the Wolverine effect (in which a cool character's mysterious backstory is overly explained, destroying the mystique and appeal in having a mysterious past.)

What's with the ironic Sonic defense images lately?

I'll make you eat those words.

I should've clarrifed saying that in any other context, Black Arms would be decent enough villains (Alien race who plants their DNA into races while they ride around on their comet before coming back and destroying the planet with the hybrid) but is god awful in Shadow. Doubly so because it ruined Gerald Robotnik as well.

Sonic Boom is funny but nah. It suffers from a mostly uncompelling cast outside of the main characters, and the writers clearly have no idea how to handle Shadow or Metal Sonic.

>Alien race who plants their DNA into races while they ride around on their comet before coming back and destroying the planet with the hybrid
That almost sounds like Lavos.

>the writers clearly have no idea how to handle Shadow
You're kidding right? Having Shadow be the straight man to Eggman and the rest of the cast is hilarious as shit. Agree on Metal Sonic though.

Sonic characters are literally just hedgehogs cut and pasted into the real world, while the world of Pokemon is built from the ground up with humans and Pokemon as integral parts of it.

>uncompelling cast outside of the main characters
>outside of the main characters

Who does that leave? I'm not really too concerned that the mayor or the guy that works at the burger joint isn't a compelling character.

Sonic was only ever serious in the comics

You know what? That's probably the single biggest issue with Sonic as a setting. And the worst part is that the settings that do try to integrate "humanoid animals" usually end up coming up with a cringey back story (Archie) or do absolutely nothing to explain why the exist, making their inclusion feel jarring (Sonic Forces).
Did Forces even show humans aside from Eggman?

>THEY'RE MIND

>Shadow the Hedgehog
>Serious stuff
No

No humans. Apparently the explanation is that there is two planets, one being the one with GUN and the humans while the other one is the anthro planets, both connected by a portal. It's stupid as fuck and kinda makes me wonder where GUN is most of the time. Like, Ok, people hat the idea of GUN but surely they would at least be referenced outside of Team Dark.

Also Team Dark is one of the only good things introduced post SA 2 sonic. Omega is my boy.

Wait what?
Source (that isn't Archie or the Euro comic, those are different continuities)?

People were perfectly fine with SA2 when it came out. Because SA2 had a good balance and felt like a Saturday morning cartoon. Just like what Pokemon is.

Stuff like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 is not just being serious, it's being completely out of tone with the series. 06 was practically like Sonic with a Final Fantasy plot, it was retarded.

>Maria. I still remember what I promised you. For the people of this planet I promise you... REVENGE.

>Iizuka: The world that Sonic lives in and the world the humans live in are separate worlds. But, some of the canon games do have Sonic and humans together, and part of that is based on what world is being portrayed when the game is developed. There are kind of different worlds that do exist and sometimes there's some crossover.

gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/06/10/more-burning-questions-about-the-sonic-the-hedgehog-franchise-answered.aspx

>why are people with Pokemon doing

Yes, Sonic died after SA2

Also
>They're

I feel cheated, what a fucking hack.
You can't just say that and not allude to it in the slightest in-canon.
And wasn't Shadow created on the human side?

What is serious Sonic? What game did it start and end with? When did the nu Sonic start? I need to know this stuff before I can answer this

>Serious Sonic
>Ever
No. Never again.

Pikachu never pulls a gun on anybody

Sonic being edgy in the worst way. Often involves humans.

Adventure 2.

Unleashed. Heroes is an outlier, and the handheld games and Riders are also not serious.

Detective Pikachu comes out this next month rigght?

Wasn't sonic forces "serious"?

Can someone please tell me why the fuck people want this kid's character to be super-serious? "I grew up with SA2/Unleashed/a crappy 90's cartoon" isn't a reason.

The only game from Adventure 2-Unleashed with a bad story was Shadow and 06 in some parts. Still, I would take those stories and characterization over the Nu Sonic since Colors (?) where all he does is crack bad jokes and mocks himself and breaks the 4th wall with memes. How can anyone like the faggot we've been getting since Colors unless they've been sipping the IGN kool aid and blasting Sonic and those evil animal friends of his?

> "some parts"
What parts were good barring the kick?
> Fun Sonic.
It gets the character's personality back on track while eliminating the poor reception of past changes.
>Implying SA and Heroes had good stories.
I can agree with this.

There was more going on, something to actually follow besides Tails talking to his iPad about soggy waffles or some nonsensical bullshit. There is a twinge of mystery and sadness in 06, seen in Crisis City, the art in general, moody skies, atmosphere and sense of solitude, and a lot of the music. It was a one and done concept but a bleak Sonic game was an interesting change up at the time.

Because Sonic is known for eating chili dogs and being 2 KOOL FOR SKOOL HAHA , TOO SLOW!

He is the epitome of child friendly 90s 'tude. He is the same kind of character as Chuck E Cheese.

So its fucking bizzare when he is in some edgy story with guns and death. Could you see a story where Chuck E Cheese fights a Black Rat with a gun being taken seriously?

Pokemon always had sorta serious undertones from the very beggining, they were vague on Red and Blue, with Team Rocket stealing Pokémon and wanting world domination, and the logs detailing the creation of Mewtwo. These undertones were then expanded on the sequels.

Sonic didn't start like that, especially because the games themselves barely had any stories, the story the games had were on the manuals, and the most serious one at the time was Sonic 3's manual saying that Knuckle's race was wiped out by a monster. So when Sanic made the jump to 3D with a sudden focus on story, and the story had corrupt civilitations wanting to use the Chaos Emerals for war, a fucking genocidal, city destroying deity, a government who pulled the plug on a project so hard they sent the military to kill every living being working on it, and forced a man into insanity to the point he had no qualms in blowing up the planet and killing everyone, it got really fucking weird.

I do believe though, that a dumb or non-existent story isn't what Sonic needs. Something that's simple and direct to the point, but well executed, like Unleashed's story. To this day I still think that game nailed the kind of story for a Sonic game.

He just made that shit up, didn't he? Jesus Christ, fuck him.

If everyone could read this until it sinks in, that'd be awesome.

Sonic has no consistent tone, you have goofy shit like the Sonic cartoons and then you have shit like Shadow the Hedgehog, they just throw shit at the wall.

Pokemon has a consistent tone throughout the entire franchise. Except the Pokemon Manga which is edgy as fuck

Just saying, spamming sonic just reinforces our belief that sonicfags are turbo autist

Yeah, I miss silent Sonic.

Shadow actually wasn't an edgelord in SA2. Just a huge smartass who actually smiled often.

I meant shadow as in the actual game. SA2 shadow was fine, if a bit over board at some points.

because serious sonic cant do serious stories.
they are all bad

No. No one without autism does.

>Iizuka
that hack needs to be fucking fired

>Anyone miss serious Sonic?

i remember your autism on /vp/
i see you're still fucking at it

>Pikachu never pulls a gun on anybody
you're right, im pretty sure jesse and james did.

>why are people with pokemon doing serious stuff but lose they're mind when sonic does it

I like how the blood of the first shot dries before the second shot hits

Sonic is cringe when it tries to be serious

>Because you just told me, fox-boy!
Eggman deserved to win