Will things like this and Nvidia Shield ever kill consoles?

Will things like this and Nvidia Shield ever kill consoles?

No, you still need a PC to use them
There will always be poor people, therefore there will always be consoles.

No, it's like saying PC will kill consoles or that Sony will kill Xbox. It'll never happen because consumers will never focus on one platform for everything, and if they did, it'll become a monopoly. And you and I never want that.

Are you retarded? PC has always been the budget option by virtue of cheaper games and utility. Everyone owns a PC anyway, regardless of consoles.

You're even more idiotic.

Listen here, you little shit, have you seen how bad GPUs have been getting assraped in the pricing department? When a 1070 alone is $649, the fact that the current consoles are around $200 is a bit more "budget" friendly.

God, no. "Stream from your PC" devices aren't replacements for consoles and really aren't intended to be, they're supposed to be passthroughs for your TV for if you're too lazy to hook your TV to your PC as a monitor or you don't want to fiddle around with input. Shield in particular is intended for streamwhores and light-mid PC gaming.
Long-term budget sure (especially if you're into piracy), but short-term you're still blowing $450-$1000+ on an electronics box if your intention is to play video games with it.

I literally bought this thing 90% off because ot came with a hdmi cable

My nvidia shield is a plex server and nothing more

No, you can't even play and use the computer at the same time, which would be great, with this shit
Its just a glorified Chromecast

>"Stream from your PC" devices aren't replacements for consoles and really aren't intended to be
Elaborate. How do you know what they're intended to be? How do you know people don't intend to do different things?

I got one of those for $15 off Amazon.
If your house is wired for ethernet it's fucking awesome. The wifi is a bit laggy.

>if you're too lazy to hook your TV to your PC as a monitor or you don't want to fiddle around with input
Or you know... if your TV is a long distance away from your PC and hdmi is impractical.
Not all of us live in tiny apartments.

>The wifi is a bit laggy
I'm guessing you have a piece of shit n-series router?

With an ac router + your PC wired via Ethernet, the results are probably better.

>don't starve

mah nigger

I also bought it on super sale and I am crazy happy with it. It allows me to watch amazon prime which I would need a console or a firestick for, neither of which I have.

The controller is tits too.

>Valve
>Managing to actually ship hardware
>Ever

needs actual marketing.

>not having your house wired for ethernet
You can't beat wired for low latency

WILL A 50ft HDMI CABLE UPEND THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY?????????

>being a cuck and paying for ethernet for your tv

>consumers will never focus on one platform for everything

Sales seem to prove otherwise. Or are you telling me that, of the 74 million PS4 users, 71 million of them also have 3DSes, 35 million of them also have Xbones, 16 million of them also have Vitas, and 14 million of them also have switches?

>How do you know what they're intended to be?
Gee, I dunno, Nvidia Shield marketing itself to streamers primarily. Steam Link advertises itself as a way to play your Steam library on a TV over your wifi network and nothing more.
On what planet is HDMI impractical?

>not ripping the drywall and installing it yourself
>not wanting to feel the satisfaction of a job well done

Has anyone tried Steam Link with powerline ethernet? Are there any benchmarks?

What about Netgear Orbi? Mesh networking in general?

>Steam
Fuck off shill.
>virtue of cheaper games
You mean by being able to pirate.
"Cheaper games" oh great so you get to be able to pay for literally nothing for cheaper.
People that pay for digital distribution are mentally ill.

>Sales seem to prove otherwise
they literally don't you thick fuck

>damaging your house
Maybe if you're a retarded poorfag neet.

Long distances and if you want to have multiple TVs hooked up to the same computer.
I have all my anime and movie collection available on every TV in the house and even to a projector in the basement.

>Gee, I dunno, Nvidia Shield marketing itself to streamers primarily. Steam Link advertises itself as a way to play your Steam library on a TV over your wifi network and nothing more.
So? That doesn't mean it can't be considered as a primary gaming platform for the living room/TV, especially if you can achieve better results than any console.

>On what planet is HDMI impractical?
Ok, so you're actually retarded.

>Gee, I dunno, Nvidia Shield marketing itself to streamers primarily. Steam Link advertises itself as a way to play your Steam library on a TV over your wifi network and nothing more.
>Streamers
huh? it's also one of the only good set top boxes, apple tv/roku/fire tv all have their own quirks and problems with certain formats, shield will play them all

What? You re-patch, texture and paint the drywall.
Have you never worked on a house before?

No, but I'd say there is good overlap. Do you know what that word means? They might not have told you in summer school, but it's okay, I'm here to teach you. Basically, let's take a sample of 100 people. Now let's say that of those 100 people, let's say 50 each have an Xbox One, and 50 separate people have a PS4. That make's an overlap of 0%, but let's say 25 out of the original 100 have a 3DS, that is a console overlap of 25%. Does this make that tiny baby brain hurt?

yes

What about applications like Rainway and Moonlight?

>On what planet is HDMI impractical?
I think he means that his TV is too far away from his desktop to make HDMI a practical option. I'm in the same boat. I just bought a house and have room to have a dedicated office now but that means my PC is much farther from my TV and I can't just run an HDMI cable to it anymore unless I want to have cables running along the walls and under doors and shit. It won't be an option for me until I have the time to figure out running cable through the walls

>whole history doesn't count because there's a few months lasting fad jacking up some prices right now
what a fucking retard

Moonlight is fucking shit.

Nothing will stop dumb people from buying consoles.

In gen 8 I saw the always online box with it's $100 more pricetag than the PS4 and Nintendo's sad leapfrog tablet with them doubling down on the casual market thinking casuals have brand loyalty.
I thought:
>This is it, two of them are going to pull out of the market.
>Microsoft is going to make an online platform like Ubisoft and EA have
>Nintendo is going to focus on their dominion over the handheld market
>Sony will be the idiotic bastion of holdouts because even they don't have anything substantial outside of Naughtydog's casual pleasing movie drek
>Last Guardian is never coming out
>Final Fantasy Versus is never coming out
>They will never remaster FF7
>Kingdom Hearts 3 will never see the light of day

Instead
>Microsoft technically makes the most powerful console to date despite their incredibly lackluster library and I know people who absolutely don't care
>Nintendo makes a quasi-portable home console and remembers "Oh yeah, people like fun" and releases a GOTY launch title and a GOTY nomination on it in less than a year.

No. This absolutely will though.
>what is it?
Absolute cancer crazy enough to work on retards. Stream console/PC with the blockchain.

>PC has always been the budget option
It's really not, especially if you want for the console prices to come down.
You're not going to get a PC that will play games worth shit for $300, but that gets you a console.

>hurrr put it on da blockchain
Brainlets can’t tell the difference between emerging tech and the bullshit hype that surrounds it

The extra price of a PC makes up for itself when you take into consideration that you don't have to pay for games thanks to pirating and emulation.

The entire concept of "streaming your pc game on TV" will never work until they finally managed to find a way to work around the input lag.

Games are practically the same price now across all platforms. Even down to what goes on sale, when it goes on sale, and how deeply it goes on sale.

A lot of people now don't even have PCs. Just their smartphone. That trend will only increase as time goes on too.

Counterpoint: it's mentally I'll to hoard lots of boxes to the point I can find any god damn room for this shit.

Hey idiot, everyone has a PC. The cost of a gaming PC is whatever additional components you need along with what you already have. Most games today only need a good GPU, and for the price of a PS4, you can get something far more powerful than what a console can produce.

Wrong, dumbass. None of the PS+/Xbox Live pass game discounts are anywhere near the level of Steam sale discounts.

>nvidia shield
You mean that thing I have to uninstall everytime i format my rig because it ramps up my CPU constantly? I don't even know entirely what it does.

I want to do this. Router and modem are upstairs, but my mancave is in the basement so I'm using a powerline adapter right now. I mean, I'm still getting a little better than what I would be on 5GHZ wifi

>Steam sale discounts
>Getting discounted on literally nothing
Who cares?

Just because you're an idiotic pirate doesn't mean others have to be.

People who pay for digital distribution are mentally ill.

Consoles are for people who have just enough money to waste it on inferior products.

t. poorfag piratecuck
Nobody cares about your worthless existence, idiot.

>everyone has a PC
You're quite out of touch with reality. There are millions and millions of people that only own tablets, or only own shitty laptops that you can't exactly "upgrade to a gaming PC".

Nah, you're the idiot out of touch. If everyone wasn't "mentally ill" and pirated like you, there would be no games on PC, only retards who call others mentally ill for purchasing legal copies.

Again, how many times does it need to be said: worthless morons like you will never be cared about.

I'm actually fairly well off due to all the money I saved from pirating.

No.

Fuck off