Dragon Quest Thread

When the FUCK is this coming west, Sup Forums? Have they even started the localization?

Other urls found in this thread:

siliconera.com/2009/02/13/square-enix-discusses-dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-brides-localization/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fy2018 so spring18-winter19 is the time frame

they're redoing all the sound

Fingers crossed for a fall release

You mean dubbing it or sound effects?

Yuji Horii announced it was getting localized. But since then, SquareEnix hasn't even mentioned it. Not a single teaser trailer, gameplay trailer or even a reminder on Twitter. SquareEnix as a company doesn't give a shit about Dragon Quest.

More than likely, they're stalling the game to add voice acting and orchestrated music to it. As well as to release the Switch and PS4 versions simultaneously. But you probably won't hear jack shit about when it gets released until two weeks before it comes out, when SquareEnix gives one trailer and then gives it a silent release. Then blames the fans for it not selling 5 million copies.

If I sound cynical, it's because SquareEnix has done this for many DQ releases before.

I believe it, it's not easy be a western DQ fan, but I'm still gonna end up buying this when it drops.

I'm going to buy it as well. I buy every DQ game. The problem is, will it even drop? And will we get both the PS4 and 3DS version? We don't know even basic shit like that.

Yeah exactly, that's why I'm so frustrated. Honestly if we only get PS4, I guess I'm ok with that. Nintendo of America is starting to move away from the 3ds so I wouldn't be surprised if they tell Square to forget about it and just do the Switch port. It'll be lame, because I really like the concept of a complete separate version for a mobile console, and not just the same version running on ultra low settings, but either way I just want to experience it.

Did the 3DS versions of VII and VIII not sell well on top of DQ Builders on Sony systems and recently the Switch? From all those games, I was thinking Squeenix was more trusting of DQ selling worldwide and would put more effort into hyping up XI

Already played both 3DS and PS4 versions. 3DS version is better, has more content. Only thing the PS4 version has over the 3DS is the graphics.

I'm thinking that Nintendo will release the Switch and 3DS versions in the West. Doubt Sony will release it for the PS4 in the West.

It'll be stupid because even if they dropped support for the 3DS, there's a huge install base there. But they did the same thing with Heroes and Builders. Never released the PS3 versions of those games despite the PS3 having like 8x more consoles on the market than PS4 at the time.

DQVII and VIII didn't sell much in the west. But that's because, as usual, SE ignored marketing them and released them with barely any announcement. They even tried to deny the games were getting localized for years. They sold their usual 1.5 million in Japan.

Builders sold more than expected in the west and got a lot of journalists pointing out it was a surprisingly fun game. But again, journalists had to market it because SE didn't.

Didn't the 3DS version actually end up having more content than the PS4 version?

I wonder which version the Switch version will be based on.

The Switch version will just be the PS4 version with a resolution downgrade. And probably a few areas of the game will need to be tweaked for memory issues.

There's no way they're going to make a third unique engine for the game.

CAN WE PLEASE GET BOTH VERSIONS OF THE GAME PLEASE
ALSO CAN WE PLEASE GET A PROPER TRANSLATIONS WITHOUT MEMES AND ACCENTS????????
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

>Switch version
>It's pixelated if you pick it up and put it into tablet mode
>It's graphical if you dock it into TV mode
Why would you need another version?

"No and no." -SquareEnix department of marketing and localization

>SquareEnix as a company doesn't give a shit about Dragon Quest.
in the west*

>More than likely, they're stalling the game to add voice acting and orchestrated music to it

i hope this time they dont touch the UI like they did with DQVIII, and they should add an option to play the game with the original soundtrack

>and they should add an option to play the game with the original soundtrack
As well as an option to have a dialect free translation. If fans can do it for free, there's no excuse for them.

I didn't know I wanted this

Most likely we are getting a trailer in E3

Anyone here played the jp version? how is the difficulty? every game from japan have been so fucking easy lately

It's on par with the DS ports of the old games, meaning it's not difficult.
Final boss or second and third arc will be the only two main challenges.
The game's very enjoyable anyway so it didn't bother me.

Honestly, every DQ game has been getting easier after DQII. Though there was a brief increase in difficulty on DQVI and VII, which Yuji Horii attributes to less play testing (same issue as DQII). And he made the games easier with the remakes.

I don't think he even intends the games to be that hard. But when you have a 150 hour game like DQVII, play testing becomes a job itself.

Also, I literally just finished replaying Dragon Quest II. And on the final turn to beat Malroth, Cannock died. So I got to see the ending with him in a coffin. I consider that the true ending.

I still believe X is coming
Switch version will be the one, I'm sure of it this time

Rhone still gives me nightmares to this day

How does it feel to be an abused housewife?

arent you just sweet and innocent

I'm betting on Nintendo holding the release for international Switch version. It's the only possible reason.

>It's the only possible reason.
There are many other reasons explained up at

Voice acting and orchestrated music would last half a year tops to do. Localization is not that slow on a professional schedule.

>Voice acting and orchestrated music would last half a year tops to do.
The orchestrated music can't be added until the composer does his symphonic suite. Which still hasn't come out yet.

You're also forgetting that DQ localizations make everything 5x harder than it needs to be with dialects, altered content and always finding something from the Japanese game to remove.

>Localization is not that slow on a professional schedule.
That implies they started the localization right away. We have no way of knowing. We do know from past DQ titles that many of them took months if not years to start the localization process. But once it started, it took about 6 months to do.

Dialects really don't add time to traslation. Aside from that, very correct response, thanks.

It hurts just a little bit but I know Square loves me

that doujin SUCKED

>Dialects really don't add time to traslation.
They absolutely do. Especially since with DQ translations, they have a very inefficient system of having a Japanese team translate the game once and adding in the dialects they want, then having the localization team (plus alpha, 8-4 or whoever) translate the game a second time. Then have the Japanese team check it a third time and make changes that the western localization team has to implement. That's a mess.

And all through this time, Yuji Horii and the original DQ team aren't involved.

Jesus christ. Do you have sources?

adding shitty dialects make the localised DQ games a pain in the ass to read through.

I really hate them for doing it.

Go look at the credits of any DQ game and you'll see there's both a Japanese localization team and a target region localization team (English, Spanish, Italian, etc). But in the case of knowing the Japanese team does their own alpha translation, I know because before DQIV came out on DS, the alpha Japanese translation got leaked. Probably by someone in Plus Alpha. The prologue wasn't translated, but every other chapter was. And it had lots of messed up "Engurishu" and strange use of dialects, which ended up being the same as the completed game.

There's also interviews like this one:

siliconera.com/2009/02/13/square-enix-discusses-dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-brides-localization/

where the English team points out how they work with the Japanese team "find that sweet spot of alteration and puns." As well as many other scattered interviews with the Japanese staff over the years. And the fact that the producer of Dragon Quest X said they were working on an early translation (which got cancelled) when there was no western team attached to it. And finally, in interviews, Noriyoshi Fujimoto said he was the one who insists that they keep doing the dialects and wouldn't let games get released without them.

Fascinating, and even more strange

>tfw liked dq7 the best out of the series
>bought the ps1 version on release and beat it ages ago
>was craving an RPG to play on the 3ds, gave in and bought remake
>Despite initial thoughts, am currently loving the remake so far

Something about the theme of exploration and the discovery of the unknown in dq7 appeals to me unlike any other game I can think of. It's a nice trip down memory lane playing this game, with some nice quality of life changes they made too (mostly for the beginning of the game I noticed, it doesn't almost 3 full hours before you get into your first battle like it did on the ps1 which is nice)

they will

IIRC, a trustworty leaker said they UI is going to be similar to 8's

Fuck everything

How do the PS2 DQ emulate?

I remember playing a demo for 8, but never got round to buying the game.

sorry

Square said it was coming but the radio silence ever since then seem suspicious.

It was the same with VII/VIII on 3DS, though. They just said they were coming and then nothing for like a year.

>beat it ages ago
>implying you aren't still working through it