youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8
youtu.be/xqADj5SuKJE?t=80
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Rus'
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i'm not here to think for you

Soundtrack and setting/aesthetic are great
Characters and combat kind of suck

its basically the only good jrpg ever made

No you hated it because you don't play video games.

it's terrible as a chrono game, but it's good on it's own. don't know why people here and on /vr/ hate it. are they....faggots?
did you rike it?

People who hate Cross are butthurt Trigger fanboys who screech that it's not the adventures of Crono.

I like Cross. Could not get into Chrono though.

You should.

/vr/ are closet psychopaths who go out of their way to claim everything that is remotely popular to be bad, so just ignore them and make your own opinion

Sup Forums says it's good because it's a big title that isn't popular with average gamers today.
/vr/ says it's bad because it's popular with Sup Forums.

They're both memeing.

Cross has a couple really glaring issues(abundance of useless recruitable party members, piecing the overall story together is a nightmare without outside help), but it's still a really good game.

Their system was a nice change to the typical RPG combat, but it doesn't stand out as uniquely as it does nowadays.

better than Trigger

Just the fact that it can illicit so much ass pain 20+ years after the original release means it's a timeless masterpiece.

Cross was a masterpiece 20 years ago, and its one today as well.

Overall plot and a few characters like Kid, Glenn, Norris, are cool. Too many characters means not enough development for most of them. 50% of the cast couldve been cut and it still would've had the same feel.

Battle system kinda bad.
OST is great.
Its not a critical masterpiece like Trigger but it is still pretty great overall.

/vr/ poster here, allow me the honour of explaining why Cross is shit and detail and why anybody who likes it is proof abortion should remain legal.

I'll even turn on hard mode and explain why it sucks without relying on the fact it takes every opportunity it can to shit on its predecessor for no reason!

>The elemental system is a chore to go through and not worth bothering since you can go through 99% of the game by just spamming weak -> weak -> weak
>The second half is a huge pretentious exposition dump
>There are 40+ playable characters but the only one who arguably gets any development worth a shit is Harle, the obvious creator's pet
>The games drags on for 100+ hours as opposed to being short but sweet
>Did I mention that the cast is fucking badly designed and boring and they don't have any unique lines beyond their introduction, they just get their dialogue run through a shitty accent generator?
>The music has a few hits but a lot of it is either worse remixes of CT music or just flat out plagiarized from other sources
>Seriously fuck the story, it throws shitty environmentalist moralfaggotry at us, tries making us feel sorry for the dwarves yet they treat the fairies way worse than the humans treat them
>Lynx's mansion is stripped down from Radical Dreamers and removes all of the characterization worth a shit
>You spend most of the game as a furfag in some retarded predictable body-swap plot
>The ending is underwhelming, the final boss doesn't even have its own theme and isn't even a proper epic battle because trying to kill it results in a bad ending
>Pointless religious symbolism
>The 3D models contrast badly with the painted environments
>The villains are lame as all hell, the Dragon God big bad looks like a whale and has a good theme for the first 10 seconds but then becomes underwhelming like the rest of the game's music
>Constant ass pulls in the story

>Oh yeah, retarded "humans are the real monsters" faggotry when the world was saved by humans in the previous game and only non-humans have been destroying the planet
>Filling the entire first level of your characters' element grid with cure spells is the only thing you need to bother with in the elemental system to make the game your bitch
>Can't skip tutorials
>40+ characters in your party but Serge is always required (and always way stronger than everybody else anyways so fuck balancing or swapping right?) and even worse a second character is also usually mandatory
>Relies on RNG dogshit like for the third party member you use at the beginning of the game
>Poshul actually fucking exists
>Fetch quests are obnoxious, especially in the exposition piece that is Chronopolis
>Lavos is suddenly a god who absorbed Schala who somehow stayed conscious to make Kid and led to the events of the game
>The enemy models also look like shit, the Beach Bum is literally just a Nu with down syndrome for instance
>Climbing Terra Tower is B O R I N G
>Maybe not as boring as Zelbess though
>No dialogue in the FMVs
>Belthazar's plan makes zero sense
>Advertised itself as a sequel to Chrono Trigger but it's ok that its only connections involve erasing Robo, Lucca being killed by a furfag, Crono/Marle's kingdom falling, and other cameos like Johnny or Gato randomly being dead just to piss the player off
>There is scrapped shit they forgot to clean all over the game like Lucca's letter implying Magus is Guile, something they also scrapped from Radical Dreamers
>No really, fuck the dwarves

I mean FFS, it's so easy to tell they half-assed writing the game and just threw in whatever notes they had, not bothering to remove shit that they already decided to abandon the subplots of halfway through. Like when Radius says "Perhaps Glenn will take on that role, now that Dario is gone" even though Radius was from the world where Glenn already died.

Is that why I liked Radical Dreamers which also did shit like kill off Lucca and had a new cast minus one character depending on your route yet despise Cross?

Fuck out of here with this retarded meme, underage faggot.

Nigga you realize the most beloved game on vr is Doom right?

I really hope Square Enix makes a Chrono game that connects the confusion between Trigger and Cross. Maybe expand the characters storylines like the relationship between Lucca and Luccia.

Or they could just not bother after how shitty and clunky I am Setsuna and Lost Sphear turned out

You're genuinely retarded

"I have no counterarguments so I better act like hot shit"
Fuck off and accept that Chrono Cross is the worst game Square ever made. I bet you enjoyed reading the massive info dumps in the second half almost as much as you enjoyed the last two episodes of Evangelion, queef huffer.

Beautiful truthbomb.

there are always a few exceptions

I've been arguing with trigger niggers for the better part of two decades at this point, and I don't really give a shit about your a options. That being said you're quite unintelligent, just based on your issues with the game.

>Not wanting to read massive info dumps makes me unintelligent
Could you be any more pretentious? Also
>I don't give a shit but I'm replying anyways
Go back to kickstarting Unsung Story, fagbag.

>>Poshul actually fucking exists
That's pretty funny, user.

But yeah, you're right. CT stands well enough on its own. I like to pretend CC doesn't really exist.

Or, finishing the game the proper way just makes all the bad shit in CC not actually happen. Which... might be worse, now that I think about it.

It is terrible and I cannot understand why literally anyone would say otherwise outside of the soundtrack.

>As a sequel to Chrono Trigger
Bastardized Magus and Lucca and outright rewrote Schala into a completely different character that is ironically the exact opposite of what Schala as a character is supposed to be.

The game also slaps the player in the face as hard as possible by literally stating that Chrono Trigger no longer happened because of the Dream Eater (I'll get to this in a moment.) and literally everything you did in Chrono Trigger was all for naught and you literally wasted your time. Now I could go into how that is the absolute worst fucking way to retcon shit but at that point why even make the game a fucking sequel? Why not make it, it's own game. (Not like it was a good game anyway.) This also ironically goes against the entire theme of Chrono Trigger which is a theme with Cross.

The Dream Eater is the most idiotic and horrid attempt of a god-level beast that I could literally write paragraphs solely on how the Dream Eater literally makes no god damn sense when put into any kind of context whatsoever and makes even less sense when put into Cross' case.

The battle system is completely fucking different as well as there is nothing similar at all to Trigger's battle mechanics and the over-world adventuring has been cut down significantly which is hilarious because Trigger was a generation apart and still manage to put in more content then Cross.

>As a standalone game
The game is literally crowded with too many playable characters to the point where the whole fucking experience feels schizophrenic and retarded. There is no reason why any kind of RPG should have 45 fucking most of which literally do the exact same fucking thing as the others. Again, Trigger had only 7 at characters at most and you still had a shit ton of variation between those 7 while Cross has 45 and realistically you'll only need and want to use 4 of them.
(1 of 2)

It's shit compared to Trigger. On its own it's decent but bogged down by way too many unnecessary characters, most of which have little to no personality or development. Also the battle system sucks, it's too slow and too easy.

Yeah, if you ever have the time to play it I'd rec Radical Dreamers as a good sequel to CC, there are a lot of cool subtle references to CT like when you find the sword in the attic (forgot what route it was in, might've been in route A?)

It's a visual novel with some turn-based combat segments. I don't like VNs myself but it's really short and has some pretty rocking tunes, graphics, and atmosphere with well-written dialogue that only focuses on a few characters at a time instead of dozens. Underrated game, I'd say give it a shot some time if that catches your fancy.

Thanks for the rec, will look into it sometime.

Good sequel to CT*

It's your average 3/10 PSOne RPG, it's not even worth talking about.

(2 of 2)
The story pacing is absolute garbage and has some of the most retarded plot holes in a fantasy setting ever. Let's forget the entire retardation that is the MC for a moment and just focus on the fact that at literally any given moment in the game the Dream Eater could quite literally have just fucking ended your whole adventure and quest to stop him with a simple fucking will to erase you but at no point even in the final fight does it do so for no reason at all. This isn't even a misunderstanding or anything. By all means the Dream Eater can fucking erase existence with it's power and fucking doesn't because "reasons."

The combat system is atrocious in and of itself as it is hilarious unbalanced and busted at times. Sometimes you will literally never get a fucking hit in and die before you were able to do anything at all and other times you can literally cheese a boss within a few hits because of some really retarded spell effects.

And throughout this whole god damn fuckfest of a game that I was playing the only fucking time I ever felt even a slight hint that this game could have been good was ironically when it looked like Lavos was going to just say fuck it and destroy everything but then aforementioned plot holes turned into a fucking black hole and at that point nothing could save this travesty of a game.

>The Dream Eater is the most idiotic and horrid attempt of a god-level beast that I could literally write paragraphs solely on how the Dream Eater literally makes no god damn sense when put into any kind of context whatsoever and makes even less sense when put into Cross' case.
Please do. I love reading rants.

Well said.

Well it's no Quest 64, I'll give you that

She deserved a better and more cohesive game. All Chrono Cross really needed was to be its own game about trying to save Kid by travelling between worlds, but in order to save her you fuck up the universe so much that you realize she wasn't meant to exist. Didn't necessarily have to be associated with Chrono Trigger at all.

You are worse than Hitler

You can stop replying to yourself anytime, pathetic no-life furnigger.

Chrono Cross has HOW MUCH? on metacritic.
Trigger Slimes are on suicide watch.

gamerankings.com/snes/563538-chrono-trigger/index.html
gamerankings.com/ps/196917-chrono-cross/index.html

Not me, nice bogeyman though. Glad to see you're gradually coming to a realization that the game you've been dickriding just to look cool on an anonymous imageboard of all places has been shit all along though :)

The only thing that goes against Cross is that the last part of the game is convoluted story-wise. The beginning and mid parts are very intriguing. People who are gonna argue the last sentence just have no taste, rather their grudges for whatever reason.

I bet $40 nobody in this thread whiteknighting Cross has actually played it and is just parroting e-celebs, which is why they have no legitimate arguments for the various points people who actually played it brought up.

metacritic.com/game/playstation/chrono-cross
metacritic.com/game/ds/chrono-trigger
Now lay down, you waste of human flesh.

Don't throw your allowance like that, underage subhuman shitstain. Have some mercy for your mother.

The beginning is just Lynx's mansion from Radical Dreamers but with half-assed remixes of Mitsuda's masterful SNES themes that made great use of the soundchip. They sound corny as hell with CD quality MP3s. The spooky atmosphere, interesting dialogue, beautiful screen transitions, clever puzzles, and so in are gone and it's not helped by the RNG bullshit.

Then it cuts from that little glimpse of boring action into hours and hours of boring beach exploration and tutorials with slowly scrolling text. Throw in characters who have 2 lines of dialogue in their intro then just generic dialogue run through an accent generator for the rest of the game, a body swap plot point straight out of Shrek 3, boring "we must fight the GAWDS" bullshit after CT had a refreshing take with a space flea, environmentalist propaganda, hypocritical moralfaggotry, and so on and it's undeniable that the game is dogshit.

Why the fuck are you using the inferior DS """""remake""""" you disingenuous piece of shit?

Ironically this post just reeks of somebody trying to sound mature only to make it even more blatant they're an underage tryhard.

FFVII > CT > CC = Tactics = FFVIII > Vagrant Story > FFIX

Overrated turd. Trigger's a classic, Cross is an abortion.

I loved Cross as its own thing. If it was a standalone game, I think it'd be more beloved.

Conversely, I never got the hype for Trigger. It's a decent RPG, but goddamn the time travel bullshit took me out of it and I just couldn't get into the game.

put Tactics and Vagrant story just behind FFVII and I'll agree with this.

>Barely touched up port with shitty bonus dungeons, shoe-horned in mini-games, worse sound quality, gay touch screen gimmicks, forced tie-ins to Cross, worse font, and a terrible retranslation that lacks the soul of Woolsey's to the point critics even admitted to knocking points off for rehashing the SNES version
>Still only 2 points behind Cross in critic scores (also >Implying that anybody other than mindless drones like yourself cares about what critics think)
>6 points ahead in user scores
>Metacritic doesn't even record SNES games unlike Gamerankings where CT is higher ranked
>Trying this hard
Only waste of human flesh is you and the rest of the Cross """""fanbase""""" that never touched the game, which is precisely why when people who actually forced themselves through that torture device of a game show up knowing what they're talking about, you all freeze up, get scared shitless, and refuse to actually defend your supposedly beloved game.

Pull the trigger nigger.

/vr/ is complete dogshit when it comes to talk about games or the fun they can bring.
Its full of boring rpg purists who love snes and ps1 retardedly.
They hate the N64 and they wont admit it had groundbreaking games for the gen because its very popular now.
At least Sup Forums can have some fun memeing about super mario 64 or some gems for the system without going full retard saying "DUDE PS1 WAS BETTER LOL XDD SALES MATTER THE MOST RPGS LMAO SPRITES > LOW POLY XDD"

You seem ass-blasted, my little friend. That's good.

I am from Russia and we all played Cross in our childhoods (who had PS1, at least). No one has heard about Trigger until internet tards started shilling it here. Most of us could agree (and still can) that even without grasping the story because your English is so shit, Chross is the best game ever:
>dat soundtrack
>dat graphics
>dat pre-rendered backgounds
>dat aesthetics

It's not justifiable for a reasonable person to be arguing with your kind at all, especially on Sup Forums, because you will continue vomiting whatever garbage constitute your nigger self, without providing anything objective, so I will just call you a literal waste, save nerves and be done.

Nah there are plenty of ungodly annoying n64babies there who act like the PS1 is the worst thing to come out of mankind, people who hate RPGs as a whole because having stories in games is bad according to them, etc

I post there often and trust me I see the opposite more than what you're describing.

The battle system is absolute shit and it drags down what would be a pretty good rpg down with it.

>Why the fuck are you using the inferior DS """""remake""""" you disingenuous piece of shit?
>DS version
>inferior
It has all the PSX content, new content even if it's not that great, and is still the best version of the game. Oh what, Frog doesn't speak in ye olde english? Get over yourself.

>100+ hours

What the fuck were you doing?

Please point to where I demonstrated poor English skills, I'll wait. Also criticizing somebody's writing when it's fully comprehensive to you is a sign that you've accepted defeat within your heart but are too stubborn to admit it, so who's ass-blasted again?

>I am from Russia
>Implying I give a shit about a commie 3rd world shit hole

>and we all played Cross in our childhoods (who had PS1, at least). No one has heard about Trigger until internet tards started shilling it here.
>Arguments from popularity
>In one country no less
Fucking hell, I guess Iron Man 2 is better than your precious Russian classics like Ivan's Childhood then because fucking nobody even in your own country has watched that old ass film while the MCU is a pop culture phenomenon.

>Most of us could agree (and still can) that even without grasping the story because your English is so shit, Chross is the best game ever:
>Calls my English shit
>Immediately misspells Cross
lol
Show me a bunch of your commie friends who are willing to declare that it is the greatest game of all time, no exceptions. I'll wait.

>dat soundtrack
Shitty remixes that failed to capture the spirit of the SNES versions and sound corny as hell as a result of being rushed to be remixed with CD MP3 audio:
youtube.com/watch?v=jtHwIOPVejQ
VS
youtube.com/watch?v=3PcTYRJo5hw
Or how about
youtube.com/watch?v=v1YKC8cNXR8
VS
youtube.com/watch?v=G_SM8jzMj7g

Seriously how the fuck does a VN battle theme contained within a mansion sound more intense than a turn-based RPG's that's supposed to be epic in scale? Why does Lucca's theme in the SNES version which is used for lighthearted moments sound more energetic and triumphant than a fucking victory theme that follows the player slaying monsters?

Also, sound familiar?
youtube.com/watch?v=xqADj5SuKJE
CC is plagiarism central, meanwhile CT had tracks by Uematsu that were badass
youtube.com/watch?v=A11eWGIasMY

Post more Kid.

Life of an European on american internet is suffering:
>played Megadrive, internet sucks Nintendo's dick
>played Sony, okay people are split somewhat 1:1
>played Mortal Kombat and Tekken, internet only talks about Capcom shit
>etc.

>Also, sound familiar?
>youtube.com/watch?v=xqADj5SuKJE
no? maybe link the one that pilfered from it

I enjoyed it in the moment and pretty much had a good time the whole playthrough but looking back it really is pretty flawed. The story pacing is seriously bad, it feels like you're doing nothing particularly important for 90% of the game with the other 10% being exposition dumps where a shitton of important and extremely convoluted plot shit is explained. There are WAY too many characters, I really don't see the benefit in being able to play as Korcha's mom. That's just a waste of development time, which the game apparently needed more of since the ending was so rushed. The plot is also really preachy and kind of pretentious at times, mostly the dwarves and fairies shit and Gilligan's speech where he rambles on about life or whatever.

Also, something that really irked me was that Starfy's ship was a major plot point right at the end. Like, seriously, THAT'S how you fucking get up to the floating final boss fortress? A fucking UFO from a joke character? Just what the fuck dude, that left such a bad taste in my mouth.

>dat graphics
>dat pre-rendered backgounds
Are you retarded? Again, if you're going to insult my perfectly fine English on Sup Forums (read: not a literature class) then you shouldn't be constantly posting retarded shit like "dat graphics" which hurts to read. It would be "those graphics" or even "dem graphics"

Anyhow, the smooth painted backgrounds clash horribly with the jagged as fuck edges of the 3D models and the camera angles are shit as well, often used out of laziness to mask animations that didn't have much work put into them. Chrono Trigger showed the entire battlefield and all of the effects from luminaire to dark matter look stunning to this day.

>It's not justifiable for a reasonable person to be arguing with your kind at all

Then why are you still talking to me, Mr. I don't care? Oh yeah, it's because you do care and you're the NIGGER here.

I played each game shortly after they released and liked both. I prefer Trigger, but Cross was good. The fact that people are still fucking arguing about them and also old consoles on the net in 2018 will never stop being hilarious to me.

Posting my favorite CC girl.

FYI, Ruskies will always be part mongol and not true whites like west Europe. So you're far more of a nigger than I am.

I provided countless points you just ignored and you're providing nothing objective or of value, it's just "mah popularity" or "mah critic scores and AESTHETIC." Tetris was the only good game your pathetic race ever made, but the Japs made far superior versions anyhow like the Grand Master Challenge 2 so even that is a moot point.

Had to split this point into like 5 parts because shitty ass Sup Forums kept registering it as "spam" so fuck you for this.

What the fuck is that CC-hater's problem?

Read
Also
>Not understanding less is more
>Thinking that's the only problem with the retranslation when it also does shit like uses a bunch of retarded terms like "fiendlord" which isn't threatening in the slightest
>Thinking Frog's accent isn't a big deal when it removes a major quirk of his thus forgoing a speech quirk entirely which made him stand out even in the Japanese version where he was given a blunt way of speaking

Slight exaggeration, probably took me closer to around 70 hours but honestly it felt like more than 100. Also I wouldn't take howlongtobeat or gamefaqs lengths too seriously since they're just estimated votes and often downplay fucking around time or getting lost and the like

What? I hear plenty of Genesis dickriders constantly, and MK and Tekken are also super circlejerked. Sounds to me like you're hanging around a certain bubble and have confirmation bias.

... It's the main theme of CC
youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8

Elements system kinda blows
And a lot of the party members drawing from the same pool of generic dialogue REALLY blows

I am from Russia and I hated Cross as a child and I still hate it. It's just a very bad game overrated by retarded nostalgiafags like you.

The sad part is that people are arguing which one is better, but the entire series is pretty much dead now.

i usually have no qualms with calling out artists for stealing, but i'm not hearing it

even if you were to slow/speed it up, it wouldn't sound the same

All JRPGs suck, are a disgrace to video games and would be better as anime series
>japanese role playing game
>no roleplay
>rejected anime plot
>half of the game is made up of cutscenes and dialogue boxes
>no actual gameplay beside the combat
>which is almost always turn-based in older games

IDK Ruskie mongol nigger-kun, why hasn't a single person in this thread defended Chrono Cross against criticism beyond arguments from popularity or critic scores and buzzwords like aesthetic?
Posting a Leena pic instead of Kid doesn't fool anybody into thinking it's not you trying to poison the well without actually defending your shitty meme game with any argument of substance yet again, dumb cunt ;)

You are a pathetic loser and your life is worth fuck-all.

Translation: My Ruskie nigger ass just got blown the fuck out so I have to samefag and look like a more reasonable person while pretending Chrono Cross' main theme isn't stolen from youtu.be/xqADj5SuKJE?t=80

Despite sounding exactly the same

You're one deaf little nigga

Mother of god. This proves the incomprehensibly massive amount of asspain CC caused even after it’s been out for 20 years. I fucking love Chrono Cross because it buttblasts chronology trigger manchildren alone

>Despite sounding exactly the same
not the "ruskie", but that isn't a sped/slowed down version

if you want to say influenced, then sure

Chrono Cross is garbage

I'll give you starfy but the rest of your post is shit
A game is allowed to have world building and a central theme.

Says the faggot from a country that only made one good game before the Japs and Americans made superior and better known versions anyways.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Rus'

lol you're literally the niggers of Eurasia, nobody likes you for a reason you commie dipshit world war 3 threatening Kim Jong-semen swallowing inbred mongol NIGGER.

Even TV Tropes' YMMV page points out how suspiciously similar it sounds mongol nigger-kun.

Never said it was, the tempo sounds very similar regardless of the speed being altered. I think influenced is too light a word but yeah.

At least you're honest that you don't like it because you think it's good (you've never played it, that much is obvious)

This

Just because it uses similar instruments doesn't mean it's the same song, dude. They seriously don't sound the same.

How far did you get into each song? It takes a few seconds into CC's theme and a good few minutes into Flow my Tears to notice. If you just skimmed obviously you wouldn't think as much

Do you also love both Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump because both cause enormous amounts of asspain?

Notice the number of posters on the thread hasn't been increasing while the Ruskie samefags pretending not to be the mongol nigger. Must be a glitch in Sup Forums's system, clearly

Having 40+ characters who have zero character development constitutes world building and a central theme now? lol

But Trigger is the more popular game, not Cross.

Cross is glorious, butthurt trigger fans won't even give an inch on it, so don't bother asking about it.

I'm not the russian.
They don't sound anything alike. maybe like the first two slow notes because they're from similar sound instruments.
You have to be a real nigger to criticize Mitsuda's PS1 work.
CC is a game about how you're not really that fucking special, even if you are. In trigger the party gets riled up like a bunch of tumblrinas and go fucking with time willy nilly without considering the consequences.
It turns out that there are consequences, and that when you invalidate a timeline it gets dumped to the land beyond time (or whatever the fuck it's called). Lavos took advantage of that and merged with schala because she got thrown there too.
It makes sense, because they never mention what happened to her in trigger, because no body could have known what the fuck is beyond time.
Serge is only "special" by complete fucking circumstance, he didn't feel all righteous and went around time traveling, he just wanted a happy island life with his waifu.
Yes. Most people don't actually have "character development" irl, they just live out their fucking lives. CC emulates that very well, again the whole point of the story is that you're not that fucking special and don't have the right to fuck around with shit.
The meta part of the plot is that the planet thinks so too. The plant actually hates the "special" humans because they're just around to spice up Lavos' dinner. That's also why schala goes around looking for (you) at the end.