What's with id's uncanny ability to create the worst possible starting weapons?

What's with id's uncanny ability to create the worst possible starting weapons?

forces a false sense of progression to make the later weapons feel better to make up for shit weapon design.

Why the hell do you care if the starting weapon is good when they are all sidearms to a primary weapon, or else immediately replaced in the first level within a minute of starting the game?

Because some games didn't fall for this shitty meme

>RTCW
>Quake 4
>id

Oh yeah, lets use Halo CE as a good example of weapon balance. Where the main rifle was objectively the worst gun and the pistol was so much better than everything else that there wasn't even a reason to pick other guns up.

>not le real ID
Just because they are owned by le evil corporate overlords while carmack is jacking off to VR it's still id user.

>Where the main rifle was objectively the worst gun
The assault rifle fucking annihilated in short ranges and you got ass loads of ammo for it. It wasn't bad. It had an enormous magazine and could burst down elites and stun and suppress whole squads of bad guys. Of course it's going to be overshadowed by the pistol though, it can one shot grunts and jackals and kill elites in 3.

>handheld sniper rifle
That's the polar opposite by being almost too good.

The Doom 3 pistol really isn't that bad for what it is, just a little gun to get you through the parts with shitty slow zombies until you find your shotgun and MG. It was perfectly suited for dealing with the zombies.

There was never any reason to use the assault rifle over a different gun. For short range both the pistol and shotgun were better. For mid range it couldn't hit anything, so anything else was better. For long range you might as well just throw a grenade at your feet and end it faster.
I love the design of the assault rifle, but it was complete garbage by every metric. Hence why it, like all the id guns listed above, was a common and early weapon. Its to encourage you to pick up the good guns.

You weren't always going to have a shotgun or sniper, and there was way more ammo for the AR than either of those weapons. A shotgun or a sniper would last one full encounter and maybe a bit more. The AR with a bit of pistol is enough to get through 2 or 3 full encounters without any resupply.

quake 4 was developed by raven software you fucking idiot

I think he means that id was publisher and other companies were developers man.

games id didn't make: rtcw, q4, doom (2016)
id is ded do not respond

The shittiest one is classic Doom's

2016 Doom's starting pistol is pretty fucking good.

It's not the worst weapon out there. It takes care of early game enemies just fine, which is what it's designed for. Granted that doesn't matter when you can get a chaingun as early as E1M2 but still.
It's pretty good but it requires some dedication to make a powerhouse. I usually dump it part way into the second level.

except that's wrong and halo 1 had perfect weapon balance

>It's not the worst weapon out there
i'd like to know a worse one

Raven is basically Id

Yeah, an assault rifle with a max range of about 20 meters sure reeks of good design.

You don't use it for any kind of range retard. That's what the pistol is for. Whip out the AR when they get close jfc retards

The Rage Revolver was a monster once you learned it was a grenade launcher. Apart from that you never need anything other than the shotgun. Which was also one of the best shotguns ever made.

Your fist.

Thoughts and prayers.

>Get a berserk pack.
>"alright i can finally punch shit"
>Imp survives two punches because of the ridiculous 20-200 damage range.

goddammit

The peashooter slot should always be shit. It's not like you ever, EVER use it after killing your first one or two monsters, I don't understand why anyone should give a toss about the weapon slot that exists solely to be bad.

Sometimes I wonder what Doom would be like with no damage variance.
Maybe Revenants would be less annoying.

Meanwhile in nuDoom.
> oh fuck yea time to rip and tear

>autoaim instakill canned animations

> lethargic punching animations
Excuse me for preferring something actually fun to watch.

Excuse me for preferring a challenge.

Excuse you for preferring shit. The Berserk in the original Doom was objectively terrible and a waste of time, nuDoom made it entertaining, and a great breath of fresh air on the hardest difficulties.
Challenge my hairy ass.

>starting weapon is shit
>weapons can be upgraded
>fully upgraded starting weapon is the most OP gun in the game

name 5 games that do this

Berserk was great. Automatic 100% health and 10x fist damage for the remainder of the level. It didn't even take away your ability to use guns like nuDoom.

>pistol as ranged weapon
Good game design.

>10x fist damage
If it's true that it has damage RNG then I guess that's why it sucked, but I never found it useful. I would just get it for the HP and switch to a gun.

At least the doom 3 pistol is better than the shotgun.

It has the potential to do damage comparable to the rocket launcher or super shotgun.

Is there anything WORSE than the starter weapon being the best one?

It's like starting an RPG with two skills and then not leveling any other skill

Yeah but those can hit multiple enemies from farther away, the fist can barely do any damage and you have to be up close. Invulnerability + chainsaw was more fun and actually useful compared to berserk + fist.

>pistol is long range
>shotgun is short range

>long and short range
>in doom

How intuitive.

The fist can hit things up close without having to worry about a long reload or splash damage.
>Invulnerability + chainsaw was more fun and actually useful
The Chainsaw was actually shit, and only useful for stunlocking like 2 enemies if you were all out of bullets. It took way too long to kill.

>fully automatic spray weapon with a ton of bullets is close range
>semi-automatic weapon with comparatively less ammo is long range
You're complaining about a weapon model.

Why does D4D's pistol feel so OP?

>id
>shit weapon design

clueless bait.jpg