What's the best Layton game?

What's the best Layton game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_G-Pzshi3-U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Layton mystery journey

Unwound Future, no contest.

What's the best one I can play on a phone? Do 3ds emulators work yet?

Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is my favorite installment to date. All the best parts of both series and a completely batshit story. I loved it!

This, last specter is second.

Curious village is the only one that's actually good

The third one, whichever one that was. The end of the original trilogy.

Sod off. That was the lamest "lol it aint real bro" plot of all three in the first trilogy.

Only thing that bothers me is the setting. I felt both series deserved something more original than the tired quasi-Europe medieval world that has plagued anime for decades.

I'll take "underground London" over "everyone was hallucinating the exact same thing" any day.

Well I won't.

A cave so big under London it appears to have a sky? He built a replica of London that appeared futuristic, and paid(?) people to inhabit it?

How rich was this kid?

Dropstone wasn't much better, but at least it tied in with a Holmes plot.

I can sort of relate. Medieval settings are painfully over done. Granted, that's not to say I can't enjoy them. I feel the emphasis on 16th-17th century witch hunts helped with that a great deal in this particular game. I also found the group interrogations in the court room sequences to be a refreshing take on the tried and true cross examination of previous Ace Attorney games. Made for a bunch of really cool puzzles too.

I think I like the first two games the best.
Unwound Future was more emotional but it was also more bombastic and exaggerated, and I find kind of disappointing how the game bent over backwards to explain the "mystery" to then just straight up have a supernatural element.
Specter's Flute was terrible. The 3DS games were really pretty, but I seriously stopped giving a fuck about the plot. This isn't the kind of series where you go with apocalyptic scenarios, and the Azran are the quintessential boring "ancient super-advanced civilization".
Layton vs. Wright was basically the worst aspects of the series amplified, although it was still charming and enjoyable.

Lady Layton is the worst. Layton Brothers was a bit too simple (and not really a Layton game), but I really liked Alfendi by the end and the music was neat.
youtube.com/watch?v=_G-Pzshi3-U

They certainly made the most of the setting. And I completely understand why they couldn't set the game in either franchise universe wholesale.

What's wrong with lady Layton?

The "main mystery" is utter crap. The plot twist is kind of nice, but the rest is insanely flaccid. The most interesting thing about the game (a talking amnesiac dog) is set up at the very beginning, and then they don't investigate it for the WHOLE GAME. At the end they literally go "oh whoops, we forgot to look into THAT". Same goes with Hershel not being there, they keep teasing you with "I wonder where Hershel is", but nothing comes of it.
Also they split the game in "cases", but they're all really weak and simple.

The puzzles are good though. Also it's good that it's on mobile.

Sure. The minigames are pretty nice as well, but you still have to trudge through the story. I hope they correct the aim with the next one.
Also I wish there was a way to backup your saves that didn't force me to make a Level-5 account, because I'd like to uninstall it from my phone without losing all progress.

Being mobile is not good

>revers thread
What is the worst one?

Curious village

>it's a "not sure if it's a trick question or if they want a genuine answer" puzzle

>it's a "I found an answer that is correct, but it doesn't sound witty or straightforward enough to be the answer I think they want" puzzle

>it's a "I can't for the life of me work out what I should be doing and the hints don't help at all" puzzle

I've finished Layton vs Phoenix
A simple question, what destroyed Layton's lab in the beginning.

It's curious village or lost future, Pandora's box was had the worst mystery of the original trilogy, the last spectre was kinda shit and then I fell off, are any of the games good after the first four? I'm craving some puzzles.

for me its
Unwound Future
Pandoras Box
Curious Village
- everything else -
Azran Legacy (what a letdown)

Curious Village>Unwound Future=Pandora's Box=Vs Ace Attorney>>>Last Specter

Not played the rest yet.

Do you play for the story or the puzzles?

My personal rankings are UF = AL > MM = PLvsAA > (ED though it's not a game) > MJ > DB = LS > CV

I'm not evaluating them just from a story perspective, it's everything. For instance I think UF has a much better story than AL, but the latter is fucking amazing in scope, graphics, soundtrack, environments, atmosphere and variety. I actually think the puzzles aren't that great in any game past the first two (they were the best in DB by far), but they're still really fun.