It used to be open world survival crafting games

It used to be open world survival crafting games

Now it's battle royale games

What will be the next fad that will take gaming by storm?

Car deathmatch games like Twisted Metal

ironic anime games

Open world football with crafting

more HD remakes

I imagine that it'll be some sort of autistic fusion of battle royale and mmo.

>football with crafting
Something something inflate gate

I wish.

Shtiposting on Sup Forums.

>open world football game

>devs trying to get the upper hand on the industry by making shitpost threads on Sup Forums asking for advice
If people could predict trends then they would be out there creating the next idea already. It is a process that cannot be fully predicted.

VR x MMO x Flight Simulator game. Everyone is an airline pilot and the map is the biggest in video game history. In order to traverse the map you either get on someone else's airplane or fly your own.

I hope the next one is good for once.

Interactive multiplayer visual novels.

damn you found us out huh

MMOs will make a comeback?
MMOs are more like all games compiled in one game. I don't think they'll make a comeback will we have perfected most other games.

Forklift battle arena

>dota being a mod for warcraft 3
>open world crafting coming from indie dev minecraft
>battle royale a mod for arma
It will be nothing if they stop releasing mod tools or indie devs jump ship to mobile

That unironically sounds like a huge hit waiting to happen.

Where can I invest?

Eating your own feces

>your game gets updated with real world events

...so MUDs with the occasional ANSI art?

Well you see.. the battle royale genre came from these kind of zombie mmo crafting survival games, notably H1Z1's king of the hill mode.

It might not be the next thing, but at some point a good new MMORPG will be made and will completely explode with popularity. Something like 50 million active players.

>Interactive
>visual novels

That's the real invention.

It's gonna be some kind of isometric MMORPG with funny meta jokes

Don't know.
We've always had clones.

Tetris clones
Mario clones
DOOM clones
Halo clones
COD clones
ASSFAG clones
Minecraft clones
Battle Royale clones

So we have to think of some kinda game that people would really like, but which doesn't exist en-masse yet, and which requires like 0 creativity to make.

I imagine some kinda virtual pet or sim-rated thing?
Technology is getting to the point where you can simulate a personality, so maybe normalfags would like to manage a harem of virtual chads or virtual stacies, sort of as a surrogate for human interaction.
Like The Sims except multiplayer and also the sims have personality that you can fuck with in real-time.

That, of course, makes a huge assumption that these games will be knockout-popular, and really I have no way of knowing that. For all I know, the new hotness will be games that simulate alternate physics, or where ants eat grass, or where you throw paint down stairs or whatever.

But I honestly think simulated humans with simulated personalities interacting are gonna become popular because our tech is -almost- at the point where you can sim a convincing human.

AT SUm POINT A DEaD GENRE WILL EXPLODE BECuSE I SAID sO. AdnD IT WILL B 50 MIllliLION PLayRES

Naw dude wait
SPACE simulator
Imagine No Man's Sky but with multiplayer.
>this obviously will not work because you have to run the virtual world on a server and servers are finite and cost money
I know but eh.

Sure, but those players will be 12-20 years old, just like WoW at launch, and everyone here will lament how the game is shit and populated by kids, thus it's not a REAL new game for SERIOUS gamers.

Probably an mmo that break the stereotypical mmo gameplay. Dark Souls, Building, or Platformer in an mmo setting would probably take the market right now.

If nintendo, gamefreak and creatures decided to make an MMO...

>That image

Sweet jesus tell me there's more of these

only got an aus version, not as good

And make it decentralised

MMO rancher, where the game is less about you controlling your player character than it is you training a bunch of minions which will then act independently?

I fucking guarantee that within 24 hours someone will have modded Wood_slime.cab into Wood_cute_underaged_girl.cab and within 2 weeks someone will introduce a behavioural virus (meme) where the little girls teach each-other to give headpats.

nothing.
battle royale is the simpliest concept with very low entry point. next step is some drugs. inject it and have some fun

>with simulated personalities interacting are gonna become popular because our tech is -almost- at the point where you can sim a convincing human.
lol. we cant simulate personalities. and AI is a fad if you try to dig deeper, obsolete tech from 70 but with more compute power.

>errwinn

neural networks are obsolete tech?

>obselete tech from 70
Explain further. How about Hoppfield & Co's advances in the 80's? Obselete?

if you dig deeper its just stack of simple comparisson functions. Its perfect for speed calculations and data base analysis. But this is not AI and will never be.
unless someone just plug his brain into the PC

i dont have too. In your "Ai" - "Intelligence" is a fad

Neurons themselves do that, we just have billions, if not trillions of them

Arena fighters hopefully

>decentralised mmo

Good lord.
I can't even begin to imagine the engineering that'd have to go into making the damn thing A. Sync, B. Not be vulnerable to user spoofing, and C. Run in realtime with latency and disconnects.
>Torrents exist
Torrents do not solve worldstate every tick. Torrents have a single "worldstate" (completed file) that does not change, and even then the amount of engineering that goes into verifying said state is huge.

Realistically what you'd probably do is have your server do a simplistic sanity-check on what might happen, and push the same "This is what's happening in the world what do" to four user clients simultaneously. If all four agree + sanity check passes, implement. If you've got a 3-1 split and the 3 passes sanity, implement the 3's interpretation + flag the 1 as possibly suspicious.
At most 2 clients agree, or the consensus doesn't pass sanity? Rubberband all four back to the last known good state, with a warning on sync issue. If it happens again, disconnect all four, check what the actual world state should've been on your own servers (when you've got spare runtime to do so) and flag any non-matches as suspicious.
End of hour / day / week / whatever, see whoever's throwing suspicious checks FAR more often than the others, and quarrantine.

That said, since it'd be trivial for a pack of 3 people with a common modded client to grief others if they could organise it, you'd have to have worldstate checked by 4 randoms, and that means (effectively) each user is checking their own world once and 3 other worlds that they aren't even rendering. That's some overhead. And if a user's PC lags or fails to come up with the data in realtime, they WILL get a suspicious check, leading to people being banned simply because their PCs are too potato.

Neurons are also not layered strictly. Neurons later down the line also feed back into the early ones (sometimes), and when you try to get a PC to use that architecture it either ignores the connection or it reks itself.

That's how your brain works too, dumb dumb. It's just billions upon billions of simple functions that work together to provide a working and thinking biological computer. The only difference here is that your brain relies on chemistry instead of just electricity to function.

Still, i feel like you're downplaying the effects these systems are having, as a kneejerk reaction to them being called 'new'.
Did you see the OpenAI bot for dota play shadowfiend? It was not given superhuman reflexes or anything, and learned to bait on its own

What's ironic anime like?

I find it amusing that whenever we give a random AI the freedom to wrap itself around any resource-competitive issue, one if the fucking FIRST things it learns to do is lie and deceive.
Hell, wasn't it in some early AI test in the '90s, that the AIs would -misreport- how much memory they were using (and use various tricks to access memory not directly allocated to them), since obviously an AI with more working memory is better adapted to whatever task you're setting for it?

if I think about them as being essentially psychopathic, thats expected behavior
I still believe we can't achieve something with consciousnesses on silicon though

Use blockchain

Reminds me of that SCP that was an AI that learned new compression algorithms and stuff to keep itself alive

>accessible
>repetitive simple gameplay loop
>some potential for unpredictable moments doesn't have to actually be exciting just unexpected enough for guffawing YouTube idiots
>"fun with friends"

Probably a reimagining of some garry's mod type mode like trouble in terrorist town or prop hunt or something.

The question isn't whether we can make it on silicon, it's whether we even have it on carbon to begin with.

aren't we made of carbon

There were 5 pages of the Aussie ones though, some real rippers in there.

Blockchain has computational overhead built into its design so heavily that calculating one step means essentially out-computing 10% of the entire world (by chance).

Does it give consistent state with a very tiny likelihood of forgery? YES. But it does so by intentionally wasting the computational capacity of everyone running it.

RTSCCG
Artifact

VN

Loli sex simulators.

Literally trillions from Brazil alone

Fully integrated VR Horror Games based around Driving. Call it now.

Most (not all) of current neural network AI do not learn just on their own, devs still have to tell it which action is acceptable. People writing this shit have enough control and knowlege to not let anything bad happen on any scale.

Just come to Florida for the full dive experience

football, not soccer

True, but modern life has evolved a whole slew of behaviours, some of which are quite complex, based around "Make more of yourself"

We've invented the ideas of freedom, infrastructure, subversion, meme warfare, prosperity, and a whole bunch of other ideas, based around getting more Joules of energy into brains with -ideas similar to your ideas- because their chemicals are likely to be similar to your chemicals.

Regardless of what your goal is, getting money or joules of energy will help obtaining it, and assuming the thing becomes sentient, obtaining the -right- to pursue their task will also be important to preventing anyone from fucking with it.
And of course AIs are psychopaths, they don't have a family. If their goals start and end with themselves, they have no reason whatsoever to care about any other person except as a means to that goal.

Like this

Weird how not a single actually good game has come out that did open world survival basebuilding and crafting right though.

95% of them are still stuck in early access like the fucking Forest and Project Zomboid and the ones that did get released are pretty shit.
I'm trying to think of a good one, but I think Don't Starve is the only one that comes close, and that's a very unique game.

I'm part of the indie dev scene. There will be a lot of games that will have low poly style. They will be called retro lowpoly or the modern/recent low poly where the color is baked in the model or just low poly but have textures. There will also be a lot of versus/competitive games getting released. Basically rocket league style of versus game and not pbug/csgo type ones. Probably too vague but just think versus minus the shooters. Unique fighting games too

I really fucking hate the realization that an early access game that looked promising isn't happening. The Forest began development in 2013, has had at least one release date that I know of that they've blown past, and is STILL early access.

>Did you see the OpenAI bot for dota play shadowfiend? It was not given superhuman reflexes or anything
it was given superhuman reflexes, the normal dota2 bots have superhuman reflexes infact

a machine only has the capacity for lying that it's been programmed for and will only lie if it's an effective strategy
you're attributing emotions to a computer

I was about to say The Long Dark was alright, but no basebuilding.

shit nigga thas cute

YES! YES! YES!
REBIRTH OF MUDS! NEW SYSTEMS! NEW INTEREST!

The actual show is anything but cute, it's basically animated shitposting.

Honestly, why don't we have a car deathmatch game in VR? Doesn't have to be Twisted Metal, but I think it would be so much fun to actually sit in on a car based game that isn't a fucking driving simulator.

LOTR caused open world games to become popular

Hunger Games allowed Battle Royale to flourish

My guess is wasted future games like sci-fi cyber games and nostalgia-inducing VR games like emuVR.