Just finished this fucking awesome game...

Just finished this fucking awesome game. I have my gripes with various shit but as far as the main story and characters go - it was excellent, now I'm invested and want to play more.

Should I get Kiwami 1, play through that, then wait for Kiwami 2 and not not bother with the rest of the series? I hear such negative shit about Yakuza 3 and beyond an. I hear Kenzan, the PS3 samurai one is great but I don't speak moonrune. Yakuza general!

bumpu

Play Kiwami next senpai.

yakuza 3, 4, and 5 are all great, though

Kiwami then original 2. You'll survive if you skip 3, then play 4 because it's fucking great.

3 was my first Yakuza and got me into the series, pls no bully.

No, I love it too. But it's a pretty different kind of Yakuza after 0,1 and 2. Wouldn't want to scare anyone off before they get to 4 and 5.

In the same boat as OP here and ready to start Kiwanis. What I'm wondering is, are people all about Goro's transformation? Like I understood that he is traumatized after zero and respects the crazy people he met, but it seems like he turned from Tony Stark to the Joker overnight to me.

the reasons for his transition are there and make sense but the actual execution was quite poor. i would preferred a gradual breakdown of himself throughout the whole game finally resulting in a complete snap but he just kind of decided on a whim, fuck it.

>finishes a game
>wants to play more

go on funfag

Yeah, that's what bugged me. I was expecting things to become egregiously tragic and he has no choice but to go insane or die. Instead, I feel like he stayed the same Goro Majima the whole game until the literal last second because the writers just thought "Oh fuck! This guy's crazy in Yakuza 1 isn't he? Better make that shit happen!"

shibusawa was a mediocre villain and kuze completely outshined him in every way

I finished Kiwami.
Should I try to emulate 2 or play 0 and hope by the time they'll announce Kiwami 2 for the west?

Never tried to emulate PS2 with this rig but I assume it should work. I heard the localization until 3 is kinda weird.

Does the story get better? I thought towards the end of 1/Kiwami it felt a bit like cheap just to get some dramatic moments.

Reina > Yumi
Nishikiyama was an idiot

Goroposter from before here: that bugged me too. I felt like they kept juggling the liuetenants and Kuze was the typical shonen "villain who respects the hero", Awano just seemed like a fucking clown, and Shibusawa seemed like

definitely play 0, its excellent. kiwami 2 looks very good and like a great way to introduce yourself to the game. they did change a good amount of shit that might piss off some spergs, but its nothing too glaring from what ive seen.

the removal of the chandelier punching is a bummer though

3 is OK, 4 is pretty good, 5 is trash.

From the bit of 1 I played, I had the impression that they really tried to stay faithful to the original with Kiwami.
It feels kinda clunky and I'm not sure if that's how that was in the original or Yakuza games in general are a bit clunky. Kinda silly how Tiger Drop trivializes the game completely except maybe the gasmask man in the arena

I miss Awano and Kuze.

Shibusawa a shit.

At least there’s like a 7 year gap where you can headcanon a descent into madness if you’re really that desperate

That’s why you fight Kuze 5+ times, Shibu is the Stringer Bell sort of figure

Play Kiwami 1, it brings back Pocket Circuit as a new minigame. Only real problem with Kiwami 1 is that Dragon Form requires you to do some huge repetitive bullshit with Majima, which is only made worse by the fact that a lot of it is rng bullshit so a guide doesn't actually help you much.

>Kiryu is 37 in the original game

You should've played through the series in release order like a normal human-being who isn't underage.

Too bad you already ruined the experience of moving through the games from platform to platform by starting with 0.

>5 is trash

I love this shitty meme.

The biggest issue is that Majima stops appearing and you don't even get a message or anything like that. I played through the entire game with him being on F because I didn't see/check that big traffic cone.
Otherwise he appears pretty often

They all have their ups and downs. CIA twins and rubber bullets aren't any more retarded that identical korean plastic surgeon clones.

It's like a 20 year gap, not really overnight

ok im triggered

>Finally got around to dusting out the PS3 I found just sitting in my hallway closet
>Looking for Yakuza 3 online
Why is it so expensive compared to the other titles like 4 and 5?

>tfw get into series around the time 4 game out because of Brad from 4PP
>tfw started with 1 and 2 then 3,4, then Kenzan

Felt fucking good.

Is he under that cone? Fuck I've lost him for a good few chapters. I'm on chapter 11 and still on F.

Thanks pal.

if the quality of writing, atmosphere, characters, etc. are good enough, i can get through a game that is mechanically and visually inferior to other games i've played without issue because, interestingly, i'm not underage. its not a big deal. i started mgs with 3 and had little issue playing 1 or 2.

last time I looked for a copy of 5 they were going for like $80

user pls. Pls user. Second was the best one.

I startef from 0 and then Kiwami but strangely enough i decided to go back and play the original and i have to say that i prefer the original more than Kiwami since the pacing is better and there are no paddings; can't say that i was too flabbergasted by the older graphics. Then i moved on to og Yakuza 2 and the rest of the games and now i'm ready for 6.

probably just not very many copies manufactured. lucky for you the ps3 is extremely easy to mod and its very easy to play (legal ;) ) backups.

>It's like a 20 year gap, not really overnight
0 takes place in '88 right? That's 7 years before the player sees him for the first time in Yakuza 1 but other than punishing someone you don't see him be that crazy I guess

i agree, people cant just go and say that without also including 4 as being trash

I agree it's great, I'm just saying skipping the others because they have some dumb plot points is pretty a pretty silly reason.

Oh yeah. You shouldn't skip them. Each one of them is worth playing.

Can't say anything about Dead Souls tho as I have it sitting on my PS3 but I am scared to start it.

>I'm a fucking retard

Thanks for sharing.

3 is great but after you pass first half and it stops being orphanage simulator. I mean first half is still good, but not what I was looking in a Yakuza game

>i started mgs with 3

You are hurting yourself, your experience and your memories. Keep it up. Don't forget to start Persona with Persona Q.

good opinion.
Good opinion
BAD opinion.

>i'm not underage

This somehow makes it worse.

>Majima looks like this at the ripe old age of 52

Asians.
They never age.

in-game faces looked so terrible in 6 and K2

What the fuck were they thinking?

I know right? Not translating this great game for so long. Fucking SEGA.

Anyone tried Hokuto ga Gotoku yet?
Played the demo and the gameplay was fucking sweet, its what 6 and Kiwami 2 should have been

I literally don't see an issue with what was said. I'd need someone to elaborate on it. Yakuza 0 is a fine entry point for the series and was advertised as such. The game isn't dependent on later games in the series at all, there is heightened enjoyment if you recognize the various nods but those things are in no way significant for the enjoyment of the game and can be equally as appreciated when you recognize the nods when you're playing later entries.

Let's make a great game with heaps of content that's similar to 4.

Honestly the story wasn't even that bad for Yakuza standards. Only bad part is the ending with Haruka going full retard.

YUME

You are literally retarded.

Haruka ruined Kiryu's life, I hope she lives with that knowledge and guilt till she died

People just get super retarded if you don't start from 1.
But you cant ever go back and play the PS2 games ever because you can't and it's wrong and you're not allowed.

Good response you lazy fag. Stop talking.

I don't care what you do. Just saying you're legitimately ruining the experience for yourself. You say it's fine because you have to frame of reference.

Just curious, did you start Metal Gear with Metal Gear on the MSX? Please don't lie on the internet.

>to frame of reference

no* frame of reference

I started with Solid on PSX. Don't try to imply it matters in the slightest when it comes to MGS. It's nothing like Y1 to Y0.

Now you're really stretching.

>Metal Gear
>Metal Gear Solid

Nigger you they don't even have the same title.

You really are a fuckin' retard.

Are you seriously trying to imply that's anything like starting MGS with 3 or RGG with 0?

I don't see how it doesn't. There's plenty of plot points that are touched on in Metal Gear Solid 1 that exist in the 2 MSX titles and you can certainly enjoy, for example, the return of Gray Fox in MGS1 a lot more if you were familiar with him in the first game. Being able to appreciate the series' transition from a 2D to a 3D and more cinematic space is really awesome too. Your 8 year old self did yourself a disservice playing and enjoying a video game immediately rather than not plotting out to play them in chronological order like a sperg.

WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS THREAD TURNS INTO RELEASE ORDER VS CHRONOLOGICAL FAGGOTRY!? I'VE BEEN IN A FEW YAKUZA THREADS AND IT'S NEVER BEEN THIS BAD

chronological fags have and always will be spergs. play games when and the way you want, time is limited, who gives a fuck.

Just downloaded it. Gonna play it soon.

I started with 4. But I stopped before finishing akiyamas chapter and played the older ones. It literally is retarded though.

There really isn't much difference between
>I get that reference!
and
>ah, so thats what they were refencing

>I HATE cinematic games, the West is ruining the industry
>Oh my god I LOVE Yakuza

the biggest issue with playing 0 first is that seeing majima in yakuza 1-3 is just plain sad but other than that its not a huge deal

Not him, but eferences to BB and Gray Fox don't matter for dick in MGS games. You don't need to play the MG games to understand things happening in MGS.

Same with starting with Zero, but I'm not the guy who insisted you play in chronological order, because Metal Gear Autists do the same.

I strongly disagree. Did 4 up to Kiryu. I got literally nothing when Saejima was fighting with Kiryu on the beach near the orphanage.

Did 1, 2, 3. Came back to 4. This fight meant so much more I was so fucking hyped. Here I was. Fighting myself from the previous games. Hands off that was one of the best moments I had playing vidya.

Fuck you

So I'm about to finish the Five Stars storyline in Y0 and maybe complete all substories to fight Amon. I have to say, the experience is dragging at this point. There are bunch of substories and friendships in Y0 that are recycled between the characters. Both have some Mr Libidos, both have the cute girl working at the arcade, both have the restaurant cook that asks you to go fish for the necessary ingredients, both have the video store clerk where you develop the friendship by repeatedly watching videos (and holy shit does that get tedious), etc.

I've gotten to a point where I just put on a podcast while I'm playing. Funny enough, I've played a bit of Kiwami and I think I will like it more than Y0. I prefer fighting Majima over Mr Shakedown (the fights themselves can be way more varied), I like that you can switch styles instantly under certain conditions, I like that that the ability trees aren't locked behind a massive grind, and the fact Kiwami has less content overall means it at least won't be as repetitive as 0. Am I the only one who feels like that?

On a different note, I'm way more excited for Kiwami 2 than 6.

>Tfw you thought you had the upper hand in that fight until Kiryu fought back with the tiger drop
>tfw now you feel the same way as your opponents that you spammed your tiger drops with

I'll concede to that particular scenario. People starting with 0 though are gonna have plenty of hands-on time with kiryu

I've reached the hostess bar part where yoy play as the 2nd protag and then stopped playing. Its my first yakuza should i continue playing? If it doesnt get any better then its a waste of my time

>Don't try to imply it matters in the slightest when it comes to MGS. It's nothing like Y1 to Y0.

It fucking is the same. You're just in denial. MGS has a whole lot of references to MG just like 0 does with Yakuza and Yakuza 2.

MG and MGS have a decade long gap between releases too, just like Yakuza and Y0.

>getting your ass kicked by the moves you previously did

You have shit taste if you don't absolutely adore the hostess minigame, so go back to CoD or whatever it was you were playing before.

0 is the only good game. Watched playthroughs of 3-5 and they looked like shit. 6 is also horrible from what I've heard. Seems like 0 was a fluke, good thing I never got into these series that much.

my biggest issue with the side content in 0 was really just real estate royale. i didnt know about the mr shakedown exploit so it was pretty god damn tedious but also having to constantly run back rather than just do all the shit remotely in a window was quite tedious as well as having to wait every payout to upgrade my shit. also keeping one of the best relationships (pocket circuit fighter) behind that shitty minigame sucked. Some people might like pocket racer and thats understandable but I hated that shit. A lot of the side content is pretty spotty but the main story and characters are top tier and that was enough for me to overlook most shit in the game.

this

How does the writing of 1 stack up to the others? Prior to 0, all the Yakuza praise seemed to get heaped onto 2 and I didn't hear much at all about 1.

I like games that have actual game play, if its a fucking visual novel id rather watch a show with good animation and voice acting. Nice projection tho, guess i hurt someones feelings :(

wonder if i could do a legend yakuza 0 playthrough with no resto items, no weapons, no upgrades. i know itd be miserable but im a sperg

While 1's story isn't the best, it was the most important plot of the series that leads up to the subsequent sequels later on. Play it now senpai.

Kiwami is on sale famalam.

I still reckon 1 has the best writing in the entire series. Makes the most sense of any game, minimal retarded shit. People praise 2, but the whole Korean twin, and Terada thing is just as retarded as the later games.

Can't wait until Yakuza comes to PC and Sup Forums starts hating it.

You mean loving it?

Look at what happened to FFXIII.

The only retarded, unacceptable shit on 1 is when Nishiki blown up the 10 billion yet somehow Kiryu, Haruka, and Yumi survived unscathed despite them on a close proximity of the explosion. Fuck that shit.

Yeah, but it's still nowhere near as retarded as the shit the later games pull.

These threads are already shit when compared to Y3, 4 or 5 threads. Years ago rarely anyone would take the b8, so shitposters mostly ignored these threads since it was a niche series. Then comes in Y0 and every retard on the site starts visiting these threads and since they can't communicate properly they start shitposting, take the b8, start console wars and so on.

How did you learn mahjong? I only have them and catfight left.

If you're fit you will still look good in later years, though genes also play important role.
My dad's in early 50's and everyone says he looks like he's in his thirties.

He's not under A cone. He's randomly under one of the three cones around.

And that one is one I found out myself, I found out the details when looking for the other stuff to do. Which, for most, are bullshit, and I gave up that fucking Majima thing once I basically steamrolled him, so I just finished the game, which is quite easier than the hardest majima. And honestly, with Tiger Drop it's really a pushover.

Like I told you yesterday that Yakuza 0 mahjong guide is a great tool. I learned by just going to Wikipedia, reading how a hand is formed, and then just threw myself at the game not knowing anything other than that. I didn't even know what doras were until a couple months back when someone explained them. Just learn how a hand is formed, don't reveal your hand with chi, pon, or kan unless you have very specific hands since the points you gain are usually terrible, Riichi if you have the chance as the bonus is great, and when you can enable the red doras as they give you ridiculously high value hands for almost no effort. It makes both the 0 and Kiwami Haneman/Mangan requirements a joke even if you don't know any special hands.