RTS thread

Isengard is by far the best faction. The most balanced and basic. In both the 1st and 2nd game, in the expansion as well.
Pikes kill the cavalry, crossbows kill everything and warriors do what they do best.
I really dislike the fact that combining 2 different battalions is not available in the 2nd game, or that there is a population limit in the 1st one.
I cant make up my mind which is better to be quite honest with you, i like the 1st one because i can swarm the map and there are specific places set for building so one cant just place a barracks near the enemy and spam troops, and taking down the bases is easier.
But it lacks the versatility of the 2nd, it lacks the custom made hero.
Then again the 2nd ones improvements kinda get canceled out with the lack of other things left out from the 1st.
All in all, for me at least, the best 2 rts games there are.
C&C, AOE are the honorable mentions, legends of their own kind but personally like the 2 more.

>Online of this is dead
>tfw remembering all those custom maps
>Hold the line against waves of enemies with heroes
>the entire trilogy where everyone controls 3 heroes
>Sauron getting added into the game
>mini-arena where everyone can produce soldiers at a stupid fast rate and it's a meat grinder to take down the other citadel

Theodens charge OP, please nerf. Stupid movie-based games, the Rohirrim get all the cool heroes.

>tfw you never got to experience any of that
Feels bad man, I only discovered the series years after it's release.

I heard the Edain mod for BfME II is pretty good.

The only kind of people that can reanimate the carcass of online rts gaming are the streamers from snitch and other bullshit websites.
But they are probably too stupid and crippled to play the game that makes it fun to them.

Lurtz is the only hero you need, after you have all the upgrades to the battalions around him.

>mfw I have both physical copies of bfme 1 and bfme 2

dont forget this

I have the expansion for 2 aswell, forgot about it for some reason

i have to install it now and play it
the urge is too strong

>tfw dorf master race
Isengard and gobs are cool too.
I really wish we got a new game or an official remaster after The Hobbit trilogy, then I look at some other old franchises which got something new recently and wonder if I'd really want EA to bring BFME back.

who thought that being able to make your own hero in bfme 2 is balanced

Fuck I miss this game! Def redownloding it when I get home from work

I remember horses were OP, just go back and forth trampling everyone and stunning them while you’re arches open up on them!

Does BFME even work properly on Win10?
I tried to play it last year and I remember things not working right.

Pikes level 3 were the cure for them. Besides, the cavalry was to be used for scouting and fast spreading if you have resources for the outposts and lone resource gathering points
Pikes were always the op cure for the cavalry, no matter how tough.
You could attack the pike men without killing your whole battalion if you charged on their rears, but half way trough the plow they will turn around.
Mixed pike/bow battalions were the thing for the cavalry even with theodens charge

I dont know, I dont use win10

What exactly didnt work?
I dont think there should be any problem on any os

>Does BFME even work properly on Win10?
Yes, it works

Guess I'm just a retard. I thought I remembered the game getting to the main menu and then crashing every time.

Just Yahoo the problem if you encounter it.
If it presists then Bing it, or Yandex it if its severe

Google BFME blogspot it's a pirated copy with custom patches, and working online through game ranger I think.

I always wanted Minas Tirith and Helm's Deep to be skirmish maps. They were the most fun to play on in the campaign.

WHAT THE FUCK?

>new
Probably because production has ceased so new ones are more rare, thus driving the price up. Just download it.

i think they are in the 2nd one, i believe there are more skirmish maps where one player has a fortress

It's an official abandonware and fans host download links to all three games, user.

Mayhaps I should sell mine eventually

I kinda like those games but economy is so fucking basic and boring. You have one fucking resource and everything is focused on military. Also walls are worthless and sieges terrible. What's the point of walls if you can't even put your units on them? Enemy can attack them, and my ranged units are out of range staying behind them.

Is Stronghold the only rts with good sieges. Or even strategy game for that matter? Siege battles in all other strategy games are so shit in comparison. Stronghold also seems to be the only one to have perfect balance between economy and battles. Everywhere else either base building is barebones and game is focused on military or it's a city builder with nonexistent battles. I just want to build a castle, have different kinds of food, take care of religion, crime and stuff like this and then go burn and destroy enemy castle. Or defend mine using all those traps, moat etc. Both Bfme and AoE is just so focused on battles and "city" you build is just military outpost that is boring to attack.

But yeah, I like Isengard the most as well. I have some kind of bias towards them, tho. That industrialism is just aesthetically pleasing for me. Burning trees and producing heavy armored troops, this makes my dick hard. In those two, Third age and it's both submods, even Lotr conquest, I always play as Isengard.

walls are meant to delay your opponent while you muster troops

Well in bfme they are so fucking expensive and so easily destroyed that I prefer to just make troops constantly. I tired turtling and got fucking wrecked. Each time I put money into walls I was better of just making more troops.

There were three games?

One thing I really liked about this game was the sieges. If a Rohan or Gondor player had invested into towers, trebuchets, archers on the walls, etc, then it was absolute murder trying to make the final push into their base. There was the wonderful high of landing a siege ladder against the wall next to two crippled towers, only to have it snatched away when all of your Uruk-Hai were instantly Gandalfed. It's a shame that the resource game was stacked against the defenders so badly. I'd love to play a game centered entirely around the sieges.

>What's the point of walls if you can't even put your units on them?
But you can, at least in the first game.

yeah, where base building was even worse and you could only build small round castle that will look exactly this same every time.

forshire.blogspot.com/

i only build walls in the second game at choke points and include towers, archers and a ballista
I just leave them there and use other crossings for attacks

Bombs seem like the only solution to break them and try and wreck the main citadel as ballista's and rams take down the rest
Good think warg riders take buildings down better than others
The game doesnt allow you to sit in your fortress and never come out, you need cavalry as rapid response

>it had an expansion
wat

>Battle for Middle-Earth 1

my absolute fucking nigger
great game, possibly even better than the second one. But both are great.

I installed Stronghold, Warcraft 3 and Rise of Nations because of the RTS thread yesterday.

Warcraft 3 actually still has a custom game community, I ended up playing my favorite custom map until 8am. So if anyone is thinking about getting into Warcraft 3 again, do it.

>WAAAAAARG RIIIDERS
>RIDERS OF ISENGARD
truly the best faction

Rohan fucks you up, you puny maggot

>BFME
>BFMEII
>plus the expansion

>When you fall for the Petroglyph meme again.

Can they ever make a game that isn't a CCRA clone?

should i buy starcraft remastered

>hurr i'd rather build bases than concentrate on the fight
go back to age of empires

take yourself a little more seriously

AAAH HA HA !!!
PIIIKES !!!

Isengard are by far best in BFME1 but Goblins always performed better for me in BFME2. They are dirt cheap so you can spam them and unlike Mordor orcs, you can give them weapon and armor upgrades to make them much stronger.

Age of Empires has shit base building, just like bfme. I want to build and fight not only one. Stronghold is the only one that does both good so far.

fuck whoever made that mission

I dont really like warcraft 3 myself, never really liked any warcraft at all.
I had to play it when i was a poorfag long time ago with only a few games and a shitty computer, made a lot of custom maps and tweaked the units, made new ones as well.
Tried to make campaigns.
But every time i played against my friends, it all came down to who is going to build the frost dragons faster and win the game, or prevent someone from creating them, it was all the game revolved around.

When you mention resurrected multiplayer for old games, you cant leave out Age of Empires 2, its awesome now, whoever did it, did a great job.

dont forget the drakes trio. I never really use deathbringers or whats their name in Isengard, they arent really that special

I like aoe1 setting, are there any other stone age rts games? All i can think of is AoE1 and Rise of nations

>Last half of the good campaign in the first game is just roaming the map with a blob of heroes and Rohirrim destroying everything

Fun times

Empire Earth my neezy
this game is both good and bad. but mostly good.
AI is cheap as fuck though

Adds new units, new campaign and a new faction, I liked it a lot

Yeah, but thats the good campaign, not the fun one.
The ebil ones are the best. I never used the mordor armies if i didnt have to.
Always the Uruks.
Used the Lurtz army for fast strikes that end the match in minutes with hardcore troops, all upgrades and levels.
The enemy never even had time to set another base, wargs already find other settlements and tear them down and the rest of the army knows where to go and end it right there.
I used Sarumans army in a similar fashion but mostly where siege was needed, because Lurtz was full on command points, so Saruman was preferable around the minas tirith area, in gondor mostly.
Saluted the fucking game and my 2 armies as the credits rolled, stood up and read everything.
Lurtz never lost a battalion, hardest settings.