no SNES please, everybody knows you like Chrono Nigger and Fagbound

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CprABrE4InQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6hQwWnZtT0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=Svq029gWi0g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

JRPGS are for soyboys.

grandia 2 and skies of arcadia

There is literally nothing wrong with soy. I eat tofu daily and I barely have boobs

Don't have a single one favorite but
>Breath of Fire III
>Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
>Final Fantasy IX and VII
are pretty good.

Using this thread for asking. What is you favourite mechanics in you favourite jrpg?

enjoy your wide hips, man boobs, and not being fertile

Using an element or weapon increases your potency with that element or weapon. in Grandia, you use Fire enough, you learn new fire attacks. The next mechanic is combinations of that, you have high enough wind and fire levels, you learn a lightning attack. Then when you level up your sword high enough, you learn a lightning sword attack.
Or, Breath of Fire/Chrono Cross did this, you do specific separate attacks but it becomes a new technique between party members

that seems pretty good. But doesn't that means a lot of grind to maximize everything?

I think there's 12 moves per level, with 3 different levels. Level 1 spells are weaker of course, level 2 medium strength and higher cost, level 3 strongest and you can only cast a couple before you run out of mana. All 4 end-game characters can have all 4 elements and I loved it, but you also finish the game around level 40 when the level cap is 99, and you almost always have every spell with all the characters because you end up using so many, it never seems like a grind (to me), it's just regular battles on the way to the next boss. If I'm particularly close to learning something new I'll focus on it, like around the Typhoon place I'll use more ice so Justin can learn his ice/axe attack

My rambling had a point, the levels are low enough that you'll earn them all by the end of the game, there's nothing outrageous except Feena's 3 special skills, the lowest being level 33 Fire if I remember, and the highest being 99 Water/Wind which is totally a grind and I've never gotten it

>no SNES please
Fuck you.

Fuck me?
Fuck you

Lufia 2 and Grandia 2 are absolute JRPG GOATS

Anachronox

Blue Dragon

FF Dimensions

bahamut lagoon did grandia before grandia was a thing

Tactics Ogre
Ogre Battle 64
Ogre Battle
Super Mario RPG
Crystalis

Probably in that order.

>doing that thing where you use Harmonica 2 and summon extra strong enemies you can barely beat
love it
>that party member who throws orbs
love it

Legend of Heroes did Bahamut Lagoon and Grandia before Bahamut Lagoon and Grandia was a thing.

I have yet to play anything that tops Pic Related.

Just under it are Breath of Fire IV (the actual best one)
FFIX
FFV

Her left hand is giving me a boner

Ao no Kiseki

what's a JRPG I would enjoy if I enjoy stuff like FFV where the plot is very minimal and there's a fun system to do whatever I want with my characters

Dragon Quest games

oh yeah I keep forgetting about those for some reason
what are the ones I should stay away from?

Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 or 2 on Gameboy (Color?)
FFX-2 at least lets you skip cutscenes and it has a similar job system to FFV
FFTA/A2 have mandatory story but the rest of the time you can meander and do random battles, and the job system is more in-depth
Disgaea 2+ have skippable attack animations, quicker movement, and entirely skippable stories, but they're considered "strategy" for some reason instead of straight JRPG
Monster Rancher is entirely at your own pace and it's my favorite pokemon-esque game, raising a monster that fights

I guess I wasn't really clear, I don't mind stories in games, I just meant I don't care if there's no plot or a very basic one
but thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at those

Monmusu Quest.

Is legend of heroes still worth getting into? the most recent game looks like anime high school shit

>before grandia was a thing
What kind of thing was Grandia?

none of them

I remember that boss. Why are you fighting it when you know perfectly well that advancing any further into the dungeon will kill off one of your party members for good?

IP style battles

Persona 5

People are mostly referring to the battle system I think

>what are the ones I should stay away from?
DQII
The ones you would like the most as a FFV fan are probably III, V, or IX.

Persona 3

We're not in Japan, we can use real numbers. 3, 5 or 9.

It's Chrono Trigger. Buzz off.

Fuck you

You're a good man, user.
I'd like to add:
Romancing SaGa 2
Romancing SaGa 3
Soul Blazer
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Metal Max 2
Metal Max Returns
Treasure of the Rudras
Front Mission
Tactics Ogre
Live A Live
Treasure Hunter G
Uncharted Waters
Energy Breaker
Der Langrisser

Fuck me?
Fuck you

I played Valkyrie Profile recently and that's become one of my favourites. Fun, novel gameplay with some nice dungeons to explore and no random encounters. I wish the second one emulated better.

Persona 4, close second is Dark Cloud 2

>We're not in Japan
I'm not. You are.

Still worth getting into, the recent games (Cold Steel) are only the 6th, 7th and 8th part of a 9 part continuous story subseries (Trails). Start with Sky and work up from there in release order, everything before Sky is irrelevant and takes place in a completely different world/setting

>anime high school shit
It's extremely anime but to be fair TLoH has always been extremely blatant and more open about typical anime humor, tropes and fanservice as far back as the 80s compared to a lot of other JRPGs. The military academy (high school) in Cold Steel just serves as a central hub for spoonfeeding you world building via history lessons before they send you out to other parts of the country, they drop the high school setting in the second game anyways.

But you do have boobs.

>Suikoden 2

You are my nigga, my nigga. It helps game is a TEXTBOOK example of a sequel that improves on the original done right.

>Kahn just stands there giving 0 fucks

>where the plot is very minimal
try mario, retard

Yeah I love seeing people put up Square games knowing Konami had knocked it out of the park. Suikoden in your library is how I know you're a man of taste.

Look at all these beautiful assets.

>getting that special animation for his crit

Chrono Trigger DS :^)

My favorite current JRPGsa are the Trails series and, unironically, the Neptunia series

Hey man there are still some good taste Square jrpgs, too.

Many hate the changes both Lunars went through for the PS1 release, but they go a long way to make the playable nowadays. Stuff like no random encounters, learning abilities as you level up, etc makes both games way more enjoyable than originals were.

It is interesting to compare two soundtracks side by side, though.
youtube.com/watch?v=CprABrE4InQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6hQwWnZtT0Q

Square's JRPG were simply offerings of the big dog on a system that was a JRPG powerhouse in the first place. People tend to forget in this day and age of easy access and communication how many of these smaller games were overlooked because it was just Final Fantasy all day, every day for many players out there.

Pic related

Soul voices, secondary cooldown and overdrive.
The voices mostly because of the cosmetic effect, battles really feel alive with characters giving orders/tips through them to the party

I just posted the PS1 version because it was the first one I found in my jrpg covers folder. I really prefer the atmosphere and presentation of the CD version. But you're right that the gameplay of Complete makes it so fucking much more playable, although the easier-but-bloated-HP bosses are a letdown.
A shame there will never ever be a definitive version that combines the strengths of CD and PS1.

so is just something cosmetic? no mechanics?

I enjoyed Jade Cocoon a lot back in the day, but even then it was obvious game had problems like slow pace and technical issues due to reliance on disk-read which meant you were waiting for a loooooong time in order to execute actions. It doesn't help it's a relatively short JRPG story-wise, but can take a while due to how cumbersome it is to play. That foreboding and ominous tribal atmosphere was great, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=Svq029gWi0g

Golden Sun

>Xeno-anything
>Good

I'm the guy you're replying too but the systems for VS and Suikoden are so different it's a little difficult to compare. I do love VS's low-poly style and its system despite it requiring slight autism to fully explore.

Suikoden II is just a perfect example of a great JRPG story that goes beyond "a bunch of kids kill god". Coupled with the upload system from previous games and it's fucking amazing.

ah fuck you leatherman
why won't you, get out of your
uhh
jabroni outfit and we settle it in the ring?

enjoy being stupid enough to think any of that occurs.

True, I don't disagree at all, although it doesn't have all that much to do with what I was saying.
The funny thing is, the popularity of Square's big name stuff also had the same impact on Square's own non-big name stuff. Like pic related. Great game, got released outside of Japan, was completely ignored.

Vagrant Story received a lot of blowback because it was absolutely nothing like fans came to expect from Squaresoft at the time. Kinda weird for a game to receive such amazing critical and fan reception, but remain unknown niche for so long.

This masterpiece

I'd wash those feet. Girls exist for us to worship them

FUCK forgot the pic.

I think I bought this for $10 at FYE. is it about dolls and puppetry?

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite game ever and I don't give a heck what you say.

Soul Voices serve both as cosmetic and mechanics.
If they are responded with an art of the respective color, they will have an additional effect that can be doing more damage, reduce cooldown, applying additional buffs, bypass enemy debuff resistance(not immunity), heal more etc.

I wasn't comparing the games.
>I love seeing people put up Square games knowing Konami had knocked it out of the park.
>Suikoden in your library is how I know you're a man of taste
I was just pointing out that just because a game is Square, that doesn't mean it can't also be a top taste pick.

PS2 was in many ways the sunset of traditional JRPGs, but we also got some great new titles out of it that flexed that creative muscle still. Shadow Hearts is one of those series.

more like top paste tick

I'm so conflicted over what my favorite is anymore since 2 came out and it was pretty much everything I wanted from a sequel, especially after X.

No, although there is a boss called Doll Master.

But the point is it's already obvious Square has a bunch of JRPG's everyone knows about. No one has to waddle up and defend fucking Final Fantasy, it's normie as hell now. Yeah you can link obscure good stuff that didn't get a lot of attention but that doesn't matter, what matters is what the company is already known for.

Konami on the other hand was not really well-known for the genre and this being one of their rare forays into it at the time just turned out to be so much better than anything else I've played and continues to be so.

chuckled

Lufia 2

>one of the better combat mechanics and skill progressions in the genre
>fantastic story
>very good VA for a 2000 game
>the music is memorable as hell
>two character deaths back to back

Grandia 2 should be talked about more often.

>bone dragon? Fuck that shit

Skies of Arcadia
Xenoblade 2
Dark Chronicle
Shadow Hearts Covenant
Suikoden 5
Radiant Historia
Arc the Lad 2
Wild Arms 3
Ao no Kiseki
Final Fantasy 6

Been playing this the other day. Wish I knew how to swap CDs in the emulator though...

>Disc swap screen
>Save state
>Close emulator
>Rename file from "game disc one.state” to "game disc two.state”
>Boot disc two
>Load state

I wish I enjoyed the genre like I used to. I just can't deal with most jrpgs, old or new, anymore. Their dialouge is often trite and annoying, their casts boring, their stories dull and chliche, and battle systems with little interesting.

The only things I even play anymore are SMT games, Breath of Fire III-V, Metal Max games, and the Mother series. I've been looking into the SaGa and Jade Cocoon series recently though, anyone ever play those?
>Breath of Fire IV (the actual best one)
Good to know some people actually have taste.

Sounds like you;'re a pseudo-intellectual hipster faggot

Dark Souls

The disc swap screen is basically "save your game, swap discs and reset", but the saves don't show up if I load disc 2.

If you like Metal Max you'll probably like SaGa. Same general open-ended world type of jrpg with non-linear progression.