Porkermen Rivals

How come no rivals were ever as good as Blue&Silver? What happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PFZAcOcE2No&t=7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They made them into friends and not actual rivals.

Pokemon peaked at Soul Silver

You grew up. I liked Hau as a friendly rival and the wide cast of figures they had in black and white was pretty cool.

Gamefreak is shit that's why.
Also

/thread

hugh was pretty good. dunno about gladion cause didnt play but I hear good of it

It's a lot more satisfying to beat the smugness out of an antagonistic, arrogant rival than it is to win a friendly match with your best buddy who thinks you're just the best and who's really just happy to see you doing so well (((: u look tired let me heal ur pokemon ok

>Silver
>Good rival

We actually had a great rival in Gen 7, because you are the rival.

*Because gladion is the rival

>hmm, an interesting new area, I think I'll explo...
youtube.com/watch?v=PFZAcOcE2No&t=7s

Not only is this objectively true, but it also makes you a true patrician. Now rate my team

underage/10

+1

>2 starters

Poor remakes of the actual best games.

Nu-pokémon character design is just atrocious, and it started with HGSS

objectively shit opinion

He is. He's a cruel, abusive asshole who is salty that his father (Giovanni) cared more about his half assed mafia than him. So he is fueled by anger and vengeance, and treats pokemon like a means to an end. Only in the ending does he realize he's gotten as far as he has because of his Pokemon, and how he truly does care about them, hence why he Golbat finally evolves into a Crobat, and why he tries to return his starter, and is very grateful when Prof. Elm let's him keep it. He by far is the best rival in the series

They weren't as antagonistic.

Though Wally, Galdon, and N could have worked but they were more closer to the Team Badguy bosses or too much on the side to count as rivals.

Wow, imagine having a point of view this terrible. Life must've been hard for your parents.

>he didn't own two DSes and trade himself all the starters

Thanks guys. I still need to get my Dragonite.

I'm actually playing Sacred Gold, a rom hack. That's why I have 2 starters

Agreed. The remakes are shit, and the newer designs are shit for the old pokemon. Red/Green had the best.

N was a good concept for a rival, kinda sorta like the Nagito of the Pokemon world except not nearly as interesting. The first post was pretty much it, they tried making everyone nice and friendly and so many of the later rivals either have very little story presence or they're just not threatening in the slightest.

Can you imagine, unironically having such a shit, terrible as fuck opinion, and then posting it on the Internet.

>red/green
>best designs
LMAO. QUICK SOMEONE POST THE BLASTOISE AND THE MEW

Fags who probably stated with gen 4.

Kids thes days have no idea how amazing the original style was, they uncritically gobble up this shitty colorful kiddy style.

they aren't rivals anymore, they're friends.

I was pretty okay with it in gen 3 and gen 7, but in 4, 5, and 6 it's boring as piss.

I started with gen 1 faggot

>Red/Green had the best designs
Look I really like Red and Green too but I seriously wish this meme would die. I've never ever seen what makes the original 150 better designed than the rest, and I've only ever gotten a bullshit answer when I've asked.

>Remake sticks to modern designs for its time
Well no fucking shit

Barry, N, Hau and Gladion were great. Also ORAS Wally was pretty fucking fantastic too.

The problem is none of you retards play the games anymore and are content to wallow in nostalgia.

I began during Gen 1 with my two brothers. We even considered importing the games from Japan before they were released.

I'm very, very sorry nobody agrees with your terribly shitty opinion user.

Because it doesn't make much logical sense. Green was smug to a memetic level. But the player beats his ass at every confrontation. He continues to retain his smug to the very end, even though the record is 6-0. By that point, he's no longer cool or amazing. He's just pathetic. A pathetic loser who keeps pretending he's better than he really is. And sure, he became Champion. For all of five minutes, before you kick his ass for the seventh time. He's an eternal number 2.

Silver wasn't bad, but he's not something you can repeat over and over.

The reason later rivals are much less condescending is because the writers probably realized that's not possible. The player humiliates all of them every single goddamn time, so unless there's something wrong with them, they're gonna be forced to learn some humility anyway, if they didn't already have it.

BW2 came out after SS so nope.

Pretty bland team by the way, two monotype starters is incredibly lame.

I'm pretty sure the only people that like gen 4 are either people that were like six when it came out or people that think literally only the competitive scene matters.

>Everyone who disagrees with me is a nostalgiafag
Ok. And fuck off, saying Hau was supposedly a great rival. He was passable, nothing more or less.

Excuse me, then. You're just fags with no artistic sensibility.

because they decided to drop the antagonism like the pussies they are.

Um, why exactly is gen 4 bad again? They did the special/physical split then and I thought the dex for gen 4 wasn't bad.

Why don't you fuck off and tell me what your problem with Hau was? He and Barry are the best friendly rivals we've ever gotten, and he has an actual character arc and a pretty decent team.

And yeah you are a nostalgiafag if you just circlejerk over Blue and Silver as rivals. Blue was fucking awful and every battle after Nugget Bridge was just repetitive nonsense.

Barry is very underrated. He has a nice personality, he's friendly but he doesn't suck your dick like the Kalos rivals do. He's team is very competent. He has his own little character arc too.

Hugh was unbearable. Not as bad as the other friendly rivals but he still wouldn't shut the fuck up about muh purrloin

I agree completely dude. Gen 1 and 2 have a magic put into them by the devs that just isn't there for any game afterword. Sure, they mechanically improved, they expanded the roster with new creatures, but the world design and characters just never felt the same after.

>You're just fags whose opinion doesn't match with my own.
Ok?

It’s gone beyond just being able to take a loss into genuine cuck shit

Feel like Hau actually wants to lose to you and gets off to it afterwards

Or people who appreciated how amazing Platinum and HGSS were. Gen 4 and 5 were the golden age of Pokemon where you got hundreds upon hundreds of hours of content loaded into every game. Battle facilities (that you could play with your friends online, a feature which still isn't back yet), gym leader rematches, and fuckloads of secrets to find -what's not to love?

But I'm also someone who thought USUM was pretty great so take that with a grain of salt.

>Blue
>good

When will this fucking shit end? Blue is fucking awful, the most barebones character motivation ever. The only reason it works at all is because it's the first instance of it, Silver is an improvement in every possible way. People give Hau shit but he blows Blue out of the fucking water in terms of his actual character.

>you are a nostalgiafag if you just circlejerk over Blue and Silver as rivals
>You can never prefer old things
Wow you sound like a total fucking loser

The rival of Sinnoh was nice

>the world design
Johto is a circle until you pick left or right at Ecruteak. That's it. As a region Hoenn takes a massive shit on Johto and on Kanto (aka the sequence break region).

I never said 150, fool. I said Red/Green. Specifically their in-game sprites. Just compare those and their Pokedex descriptions to what we have now. The ghost pokemon for example were better in the beginning.

A lot of them had different dreams too. Green had the biggest ambitions: he wanted to become Champion. He wanted to become the greatest Trainer in the world. Now he just loses constantly. Silver just wanted to prove his strength, to prove he was better than his old man. Rival #1 just wanted to help his/her dad complete the Pokedex, while Wally wanted to become Champion, though he wasn't as obnoxious about it as Green. Wally wanted to as good as his dad. Cheren wanted to prove his strength, while Bianca just wanted to find her place in life. Hugh wanted everyone to FEEL HIS RAGE.

I don't actually own a 3DS so I haven't played the others.

>people think that emoboy in silver is the best rival
>blue exists

Wow.

If you prefer old things just because you have nostalgic value for them, and dismiss new stuff like a mindless buffoon, then yeah, youre a huge fucking loser.

Damn, those shorts and that skinny design on the remake ruin it for me. Same with Red and his shitty design.

Blue is pretty good and motivates you to beat his ass over and over.
He's the cocky bully asshole who thinks is better than you because his grandfather is a famous scientist.

>Why don't you fuck off and tell me what your problem with Hau was?
I could never take him seriously as a rival for even a second. Every time he lost he did that "oh well tee hee I guess I'll do better next time bye friend!" thing that really makes all the tension drain from the game. What the fuck was Hau's character arc? Oh I... have to take battling seriously? What the fuck made Hau so good compared to literally anyone else?

Is that a joke? Red and Green sprites were famously pretty awful, and it wasn't fixed until Blue

He was more of an older bro. He literally gives you advice and is chill with you the whole game.

>I never said 150, fool. I said Red/Green.
This may sound absolutely crazy but Red/Green had 150 pokemon to capture.

At least Johto was only gen 2 up through the Elite Four. I was a bit triggered once I found out it went to gen 4 pokemon in Kanto.

>Blue
>Chill with you
When was the last time you played these games?

>Specifically their in-game sprites

Seriously? At least say Yellow, Gen 1 has some god awful sprites.

>Pokedex descriptions

Ironic considering Gen 7 has some of the best in the series.

I don't understand how he could continue to think that from start to finish when Red beats him constantly.

Damn. So Barry is that forgettable.

I like that Barry wanted to live up to his dad's expectations, and it was kinda cute that he and his dad had a similar pre-battle pose.

He was just unfortunately kinda bland. Not bad but other than having a strong team, he was just sorta there. Still a stepup from gen 3 though.

>If you prefer old things just because you have nostalgic value for them, and dismiss new stuff like a mindless buffoon, then yeah, youre a huge fucking loser.
That was completely an assumption on your part though about the assumption. I never even said I preferred Blue/Silver, you just autistically decided that on your own. And plus I think it's hilarious that if anyone liked Blue/Silver it's because they're blinded by nostalgia. Plus you never even said what makes the new rivals better.

Good bait. Look at the ghosts as I said, faggot.
Yes, but I was talking about the pokemon designs themselves, I was talking about their sprites,. Fucking read.
Recently. When did you play it? He acts like an older bro, taunts you a bit, but gives advice when he meets you.
Go check again. They looked pretty demented in the old days.
>Gen 7
>best
kek.

That works for the first two battles or so but by the end it's way too cartoony. He's too much of a dick without a proper explanation, and I don't buy the explanation about how old the game is because Silver is a way better character despite having pretty much the same amount of screentime with the same technology.

>Yes, but I was talking about the pokemon designs themselves, I was talking about their sprites,. Fucking read
Um, YOU learn to write first faggot.

>trapsergey
agreed

user, why do you think people meme about Dio in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, or Eric Sparrow in Tony Hawk's Underground?

Hint: It's because there are few better motivators to outdo someone than them just being an unrepentant prick.

>Wally is a rival
Did they somehow make him more relevant in ORAS? In RSE I had trouble remembering who he was whenever I encountered him, I'd only realize who he was after I saw the Gardevoir/Ralts.

>shitposting when BTFO

>They looked pretty demented in the old days.

Yes, they did. Are you implying this is a positive? They look awful, I dare you to find me one Gen 1 sprite that looks better than any other version of it.

And yes, Gen 7 has some of the best Pokedex descriptions, you can tell that had a lot of fun linking them together with other Pokemon. It makes it feel like they're real creatures dealing with the trials and tribulations of cohabitation. The Mega Evolution descriptions are also pretty neat.

Hau was just a pussy that stayed one step behind me. I guess his team was good. Barry was fine. I don't mind him. But you need to look at Hau again. He barely progresses (he says damn near the same lines from island 1 to the elite four before and after fights) and his team is passable but not that great. Hau had some potential to be a little more driven with his grandpa being the kahuna, but he didn't really live up to it. Too upbeat, no lows only ups. Very little change.

Reminder that Giovanni was
>A shit dad
>Had no ability to hire competent people
>Loses to 10-year-olds constantly

>Recently. When did you play it? He acts like an older bro, taunts you a bit, but gives advice when he meets you.
Um, this is completely bullshit. He's pretty antagonistic.

Yes, Blue is the best rival.

The guy who has Tail Whip and Leer on his Rhydon, who also has no rock or ground attacks. Not to mention the Exeggutor with 3 moves or the Arcanine that knows Ember as its strongest fire attack and also Roar which does nothing in gen1 trainer battles. Pidgeot knows Whirlwind, which also does nothing. The only threat he has is Alakazam.

It was hardly an assumption considering the OP.

>Plus you never even said what makes the new rivals better.
Team composition for one. You've been a total cunt so I have no reason to talk to you further, though; get a life and drop dead.

Gen 3 happened and the games started inserting themes of peace & love & friendship and all that bullshit. It ceased being about going on your Pokemon journey and getting involved in some more important shit in the process and became about being a central figure in some world changing event.

Hoenn is fucking garbage with obnoxiously long routes and 40% of it being water. I'm not even talking about the path you take, sperg. I'm talking about the art design of the towns, the music, the WORLD BUILDING.

>His statement doesn't even make any sense
>B-BTFO
Ok. That was convenient for you huh?

>and 40% of it being water
There were only like 3 mandatory sea routes.

>I'm talking about the art design of the towns, the music, the WORLD BUILDING.
All of which is excellent in gen 3, you tasteless cretin. You Hoenn haters always show that you have no idea what youre talking about and have to resort to LOLWATER.

The problem is that it's pointless, though. All it takes is one battle to know you wanna beat his ass down at every opportunity, you don't need to have him repeatedly show up and be a dick. At the very least you can take some time and actually give him some sort of an arc? Which, again, is why Silver is just objectively better.

>It was hardly an assumption considering the OP.
>All posters in a thread are the OP
...What?
>You've been a total cunt so I have no reason to talk to you further, though; get a life and drop dead.
Ohhh I'm so sowwwy I made fun of Hau and made you upset

Gen 2 is overrated trash
Even as a kid I was disappointed by how boring it was

>retard doesn't know what /vp/ is for

We're talking about drive to beat a rival here. You could give Brendan/May a full team of Smogon OU S rank mons and they'd still be disappointing rivals compared to Blue.

Gamefreak is like Disney in that they want to make the absolute safest shit
Even the villains aren't allowed to be rude to you
Everyone must suck your dick

I didn't say you were the OP you immense retard, I wasn't even talking to you until you replied to my post because it made you butthurt for some reason. You're a fucking moron and its obvious all you care about is arguing on the internet, regardless of how uninformed you are about the subject.

>hoenn haters
Bro I've played and enjoyed every single pokemon game. I don't hate any of them. I don't know how you can deny there is a noticeable drop in quality between Crystal and RSE. Gen 2 especially feels like being transported to another world, like an alternate and magical Japan. Hoenn just kind of feels like a generic video game place.

Then N is the best rival because I was far more motivated to beat him compared to Blue.

>I don't actually play the games: the post

DUDE
MALASADA
LMAO

DUDE
DANCING
LMAO

DUDE
I'M HYPER
LMAO

DUDE
I don't remember any from 5

Gen 2 feels like all the scraps of Gen 1 hastily put together and rushed out of the door
Gen 3 feels like its own world rather than an inferior sequel