After having gone so long only having played FF7 and 9 I want to try and play through the main FF series...

After having gone so long only having played FF7 and 9 I want to try and play through the main FF series. What's the best versions of each of the older games?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/wiki/whichversion
youtube.com/watch?v=CfILBSy6-E8
youtube.com/watch?v=b8TdhrqIc9c
youtube.com/watch?v=lqSvxpYOA1I
youtube.com/watch?v=AfwY8PavQok
youtube.com/watch?v=ytn85jdSIic
youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZG3jwY4L8
youtube.com/watch?v=cSj2JV8o2yA
youtube.com/watch?v=70g81Z-fx3A
youtube.com/watch?v=oWkFU_1Hcck
youtube.com/watch?v=E6d0HEPGroM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1: PSP
2: PSP
3: NES or PC
4: PSP or PC
5: Patched SNES
6: Patched SNES or Patched GBA
7: PC
8: PC
9: PC
10: PC
11: PC
12: PC
13: PC
14: PC
15: PC soon

So the PSP/PC version is better than the DS version of 4? I wasn't sure because I know it's updated graphically but the PSP version has After Years. Also is After Years worth playing?

The PC version is the DS version, same with 3.

For 1 and 2, the PSP version has horrible sprites. Play the GBA ports.

For 6, patched SNES for sure but not GBA if possible just because the music suffers from using that soundchip and the OST for 6 is pretty special.

there's a patch for the GBA that fixes the soundtrack.

>1 PSP
>4 PSP
>5 not GBA with sound patch
Fucking shit taste.

The PC version of 4 is completely different from the PSP version.

That said, the breakdown for the ones that poster is wrong about is

*1 - NES is playable but jank as fuck, Origins on PS1 is basically just a polished version, GBA and PSP have more content and callbacks but have been made piss easy and get rid of the magic charge system from the original.

*4 - SNES is either shit translation (fan patches) or shit, dumbed down mechanics (US release). GBA and PSP are updated versions, with PSP having the shitty sequel called "The After Years" and a mediocre connecting bridge between the two called Interlude that only exists in that version. It also has mismatched sprite resolutions and is kinda ugly. DS FF4 is an overhaul of the game that makes it much harder and basically makes it actually fun to play instead of nearly braindead. This is what they used for the PC release.

European GBA version if you want the SNES version with a better translation and non-busted shit.
PSP if you want ALL the FF4 games, regardless of quality.
DS/PC if you want the most fun and fleshed out version of the original game.

*5 - The fan translation is fucking shit and GBA has extra content. Just get the patch that restores the music.

1 has shit sprites on PSP.
2's are actually really good and they added an entire extra dungeon that's totally worth it.

>liking DS 4
>liking 4 at all

And you say I have shit taste.

I don't like 4. I think it's the weakest of the first 6 (yes really).

But the DS version of 4 is by far the best version. It's the only one where you get any sort of choice over what your party is capable and enemies pose anything resembling a threat.

for 1 and 2 it's PS1 you fucking retard holy shit
>but muh mp instead of charges
grow up pussy, face the real fucking way those games were designed
also ps1 has best visuals/sound

Are you shit at video games or something? 4 is a joke.

>those loading times
lol.

>Point out 4 is piss easy but the version that literally quintuples boss stats isn't entirely braindead like the original.
>wow are u shit you like 4 and think it's hard!

Are you illiterate, user? ESL, by any chance?

so you are shit. got it!

>It's never hard. But when you boost up the numbers it's slightly less easy.
>"You're bad at video games!"
Can you cut it out with the low effort bait? Are you really that desperate for attention?

2's better on PSP. It didn't have MP Charges and all changes were for the better, along with the Hell sidestory and the password dungeon.

loading times weren't an issue in origins, just in the other psx ports

they're a second or two longer than the other versions, it's embarrassing really.

damn, you got me there, I forgot the average Sup Forumsirgin was dying from heart conditions due to their morbid obesity and couldn't spare an extra second to get the best experience possible for one of the most defining games in the rpg genre

Not them, but in 1's case I'll take that one second over either having half the spells not fucking work right or the charge system being removed.

>7: PC
>8: PC
>9: PC
or PS1 or PSP or Vita lol or emulator

1: Don't bother
2: Don't bother
3: Don't bother
4: PC
5: Don't bother
6: Patched SNES
8: Don't bother
10: Don't bother
11: Don't bother (Died back when the increased level cap beyond 75)
12: PC
13: Don't bother
14: Don't bother (WoW clone)
15: PC

Just grab the pc remakes, they're not perfect but they work, if you don't mind pixel graphic then just emulate

>5: Don't bother
>8: Don't bother
damn son that's some bad taste

8 is pure liquid shit siphoned directly into your brain
5 is just forgettable

>1 and 2
>PSP
Worse sprites and worse soundtrack than the GBA (Dawn of Souls) version. May as well get the phone port at that point.

nah

btw how come no love for the mobile ports here? lmao

>Best versions.
Most FF games only have one actual version. Only 1-4 have remakes that matter.

>5 don't bother
>10 don't bother
>14 don't bother
>but do play 15!!!

Retard.

>Best gameplay of any ATB game.
>Forgettable.

Eat shit you story-focused baby.

Yeah yeah I know, reddit, but there's a pretty good list trying to rank each version and compare them. It's pretty much what most people are saying in this thread anyways: reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/wiki/whichversion

The next question you should start wondering about, how many/which ones are you gonna play?

look at those fucking sprites and consider why nobody wants to play the mobile ports.

>Worse sprites and worse soundtrack than the GBA (Dawn of Souls) version.

I feel like everyone just played 1 on PSP and assumed 2 was just as shit. In what world is

youtube.com/watch?v=CfILBSy6-E8
better than
youtube.com/watch?v=b8TdhrqIc9c

1 on PSP is fucking TRASH, you're not wrong, but 2 on PSP is great.

The FF series is full of such basic ass games with weird, unique shit that there's really no reason to skip any of them aside from the MMOs and 13. MAYBE 10 if you have very little patience for its bullshit, since most of its best stuff is right at the start.

I agree. The way I went with it was just starting at the start and going forward from there. It actually felt very refreshing to play a "simple" RPG such as FF 1 and see it gradually evolve with each new game. It will take a LOT of time if you do it this way though, but don't try to rush the games to just get to the next one or something, take each one in at your own pace.

It's similar to Dragon Quest where the first one's strength is its brevity and simplicity. They're both strong little RPGs just because they don't overstay their welcome.

>no reason to skip any of them aside from the MMOs
There's no reason to skip XI either. The game is cheap and goes on sale frequently, the first month is free, and it shouldn't take you that long to deal with the story stuff anyway with the amount of QoL improvements made to aid solo play.
You could also go with pirating it and playing a private server, but not a single one actually has all the story content, and most are run by nostalgiafags that have no intention of finishing it.

>4: PSP or PC
DS or PC.
>8: PC
"no"
>13: PC
"no" the entire trilogy runs best on PS3.

>the entire trilogy runs best on PS3.
maybe if you have a fucking toaster lmao

Really? Would you say after going on this Final Fantasy journey where I played through all of em in 2017 at some point, in order, it's worth it to do it for Dragon Quest? I always heard those games were much, much longer, and I'm not too sure what's going on with the remakes.

I'd love a simple RPG right now, but I certainly didn't play trough the FF series on the older NES releases, I did it for what was the most modern or favorite version of each one.

those ports are trash bruh

at least play the first trilogy
The first two games are even shorter than the average FF and the third is a little longer but not too much
3's also great for replays

also, play the GBC or the SNES remakes for each one, don't bother with the NES releases

I seriously couldn't fucking deal with it. The combination timesink/awkward control killed my ability to actually play it.

Good story, though. Makes 14 look like complete shit.

DQ1 is the original JRPG. The NES version had some forced grinding in it to pad length, but the SNES and GBC versions (the latter is my favorite as it still has the NES charm) can be beaten in like 6 or 7 hours. 2's something you can appreciate by coming back to later but is a shaky step forward for JRPGs.

3 and 4 are amazing RPGs for the Famicom and put the likes of FF1-4 to fucking shame. That's where you start getting FF length ones, because these were the games that started the trends of JRPGs with massive scopes. 5 and 6 are pretty hefty, I think around 40 hours?

7 is the actual timesink game. That bastard's over 100 hours for the main quest. 8 is back down to more traditional numbers, like 60 I think? And 9's a weirdo game.

The DQ's all have the same sort of style and charm they've had ever since the NES days. They evolve, but they never truly throw anything away. As such, each successive game and remake is more and more content rich than the last, with the recent 7 remake having at least 200 hours worth of content if you're willing to go through all the extra bullshit and read all the dialogue.

How long would it take to "beat" XI?

>FF15 Windows Edition about to release
>Season Pass 2 already renders it obsolete
>game still nowhere near finished after 12 years

>Someone actually pointing to the GBC versions instead of saying "no it's the NES versions or nothing"
Thank fuck. In 1 and 2's case they've got the better renditions of the OST.

Interesting, maybe I'll take a look at it. I enjoyed the whole FF journey. Not looking for a particular "timesink" right now but I'd love to play something closer to FF1 again.

sorry bro but you already played IX which is the absolute best of the series

the GBC versions are my favorite because they got that 8bit soundtrack
SNES versions sound like a fucking midi, 3 at least sounds better and that's the one I play because of the beautiful sprites

Yeah, that's fair enough. The GBC renditions of the world map themes are too perfect to play any other versions of the first two. They're basically "fixed" NES versions. But 3's great no matter how you play it.

FF1 is basically a flashier, worse, smaller scale DQ3.
youtube.com/watch?v=AfwY8PavQok

besides the shitty FF13 trilogy, this is not too bad of a meme. well done guy

>The combination timesink/awkward control killed my ability to actually play it.
How are the controls awkward at all? It's just WASD movement with menu-based combat like the previous FF games. Combat is even (usually) so slow that it's practically turn-based.

Shouldn't take more than a few weeks on average if all you're doing is the main storylines. It's rather dependant on what job you choose to level too, since there are some instances you may have to run solo if you have nobody to help you, and they can be awkward to do alone.

I'm used to modern MMO controls, but the key config on 11 is just goddamn bonkers. Also it runs like absolute shit on my toaster, which is surprising given its age.

>After having gone so long only having played FF7 and 9
The only one you still lack is X, and you'll have played the best the series has to offer.
And maybe VIII, but only if you really crave for more.

>patrician
>XIII trilogy

Belongs in brainlet tier.

>3: NES or PC
>4: PSP or PC
>not DS

sorry bro but you have already played through the best game the series has to offer

youtube.com/watch?v=ytn85jdSIic
youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZG3jwY4L8
youtube.com/watch?v=cSj2JV8o2yA
youtube.com/watch?v=70g81Z-fx3A
youtube.com/watch?v=oWkFU_1Hcck
youtube.com/watch?v=E6d0HEPGroM

works on my machine

They're trash in the sense that they run like the PS3 version at their worst.

I always hate when it seems like someone plays this meme straight without understanding it.

>X
>the best the series has to offer