Never played any Thief game. Do people hate this game because it's too easy/casualized?

Never played any Thief game. Do people hate this game because it's too easy/casualized?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=asM9guG7KlE
youtube.com/watch?v=qEQMUZufSyw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I believe they hate it because it attempted to cash grab by tying itself to an old, popular franchise while being an incredibly soulless piece of generic AAA garbage. Even without the context of the Thief series it's a poor man's Dishonored.

youtube.com/watch?v=asM9guG7KlE
Just listen to this and you will understand

Reminder old Garret and NuGarret arent even the same person in game. You can actually find Old Garret's bones at some point

You can't even decide when you want to jump in this game. Fuck off with this shit.

it's not too bad, just doesn't have the feeling of a Thief game and at the same time not over the top enough like Dishonored so it doesn't really stand out

It's a game made by people who didn't understand the fundamentals of the original franchise.

Remove the title card and it has nothing in common with Thief.

People hate it because it's generic in every possible way.

I think that you have to hate that piece of shit regardless of if you ever saw a Looking Glass game.

It's a game that limits your freedom of movement compared to the all games.

There's a simple test to figure out if you're a modern gamer. If you think that webm related plays like shit compared to the sleekness of Uncharted Raider, you're a part of the global trend that killed video games.

If you think that tank controls are good you need to kill yourself you braindead casual console shitter.

I should play the Tomb Raider games soon
Which one should I start with?

It's not Thief

It alienated fans of the Thief series while failing to attract a new audience. It was a flop both in sales and in gameplay.

If only they were numbered.

God, I love TRII

Aren't there some remakes?

I assumed you meant the original, good games.

You could have an hour long video on the failures of Th14f and never draw comparisons to anything from the first two games, and it'd still be too short of a video to list everything wrong with it.

It's AAA garbage through and through that deserved it's failure in profits.

Anniversary -> 2 -> 3 -> IV -> Chronicles -> Legend -> Underworld
skip the rest

not a very good example, tomb raider has always been shit

Play the reboot it's miles better gameplay wise. The original game is garbage, you'll know what I mean when you get to the zombie level.

One of the worst games I've ever played and I briefly played the original thief games, never liked them, but it wasn't anything like this.

I should have been the target audience for this game, but it was just awful aside from apparently having nothing to do with the original. at the very least they should have made you feel like a thief, instead of some guy who likes to take shortcuts through the same looking apartments instead of using the street like a normal person.

They did it with bioshock and everybody loved infinite but this didn't do that good. I guess people don't like stealth games anymore.

Play the first 4 games (1, 2, 3 and the last revelation), the modern PC ports are decent and they require only a simple fix in order to run at modern resolutions. Don't listen to reboot/remake fags.

>t. Marketing cuck

Jokes aside, the worse part is they probably think this is actually the case and not that the game is just hot garbage.

>everybody loved infinite
No one even remembers Infinite save for the people who fap to SFM and those who hated it.

what the hecko

The main problem with Thief are the godawful bugs, that is if you're trying to ghost it or get certain achievements. Bugs would be fine if the save system was good, but it isn't.

I know practically nothing about Tomb Raider, so I'm not sure if it's better to play the remakes or the original versions

I guess I will start with the ports of the original

if by everybody you mean "everybody on Sup Forums" then yes

>worse stealth than dishonored which is already pretty casual
>is called "Thief"

but you steal forks and spoons, you are clearly a thief

I'm not saying Anniversary is bad, but it doesn't replace Tomb Raider 1.
The mainstream only talks about the newest stuff and Infinite is already 5 years old.

>Never played any Thief game.
In the older games Garrett was a wise cracking rogue without a sense of morality. He was a bad guy in an even worse world come to take everyone down a peg and get rich doing it.

In the remake, he's batman.

It's actually a pretty fun game but it's nothing like the iconic Thief games.

It's more fast paced and it seems the world is built for Garrett, rather than the older games where the world was built less with leaving direct paths to follow.

To put this in perspective, the WebM that the user earlier posted of Tomb Raider - it's fluid because Lara is controlled by a player who knows where to go.
Nu-Lara would simply go "press action to make me move, press jump to make me do a front jump then press action to complete the final third of the sequence". Thief is a bit like that - it takes away the exploration and "freedom" from the player.
I use freedom loosely since ultimately, it was still linear in the old games but you felt the exploration more. In Thief 4 it's all pathed out for you for the most part

This is still the most potent ragefuel I know of. A shame Thiaf was immediately forgotten upon release, because this image is now too obscure to post regularly.

original thief game is majorly overhyped i was around during its prime it was good but later levels devolved into fucking zombies and stupid shit

new thief is OK but the problem with it, is the max difficulty or basically "give me classic thief" mode, you cant fucking even knock people out, so its retarded, i stopped playing when it basically failed my game for knocking someone out , i didnt feel like playing the whole damn intro agian

>He was a bad guy
He wasn't a hero but I wouldn't call him a bad guy. I've seen anti heroes with worse morals

>without a sense of morality

This is absolutely false. Old Garrete was literally a thief with a heart of gold but a selfish streak.

He was a thief, but not an edgy asshole.

>you can absolutely jump and move fluidly and freely
>you just can't 'freejump'
This is like that thing Orwell was talking about

It's plain terribly designed and has none of the non-gameplay appeal (atmosphere, story, etc.) of the original games. The originals weren't terribly difficult games but a lot of mechanics were simplified, e.g. sound is much less detailed. There are custom difficulty options which are purported to give a more "original" experience but the underlying mechanics are still bad, so it doesn't work.

How is Thief 4 on max difficultity (or close to it)? Is it actually a challenge or just "fuck you super AI senses lol"?

Because I felt that Hitman Absolution was a good stealth game with most of the hud off and on higher levels

People should point out newspeak more often.

I hate it because it's a terrible Thief successor that nobody ever asked for. After 3 happened I think we all knew that 1 and 2 were the best Thief was ever going to be.

They took a niche game only oldfags remember and tried to turn it into something that had mass appeal. Not only did they spit in the faces of Thief diehards, but casuals didn't even give a shit because they've never heard of Thief anyway. Basically, the end product was a game any fan of Thief wants to forget exists. At least 3 kept some of the heart and soul of the originals, even if it was pretty mediocre.

if you only play one let it be the first one, it has a good story and structure to the puzzles n' shooting n' stuff.

it's a bit like the alien franchise actually, the first one is a spooky classic and the second one is action pulp about shooting people, and no-one really cares about the others. (though tomb raider 3 isn't like terrible like alien 3)

>but I wouldn't call him a bad guy.
He's a theif. He steals things from people.
He's also fine with killing people when he has no other option.

As opposed to most heros who would have a moral crisis if they even risk seriously injuring a villain even if it would save lives.

That's what I meant by no morals.
Not that he likes to kick puppies for fun.

Tomb Raider 1 and 2 were huge back when they came out and received nothing but praise. They're still considered classics. Fuck off.

>He's also fine with killing people when he has no other option.
I'm pretty sure he canonically never killed anyone.

Difficulty doesn't mean much in stealth games if you don't go into combat.
Because of AI bugs some parts of the game become impossible to ghost, for example AI might stop patrolling an area that is the only way past a point unhindered. So you have to reload to earlier saves, which is a problem because the game really only has 2 slots that save.

>He's also fine with killing people when he has no other option.
not when you play on "the way it's meant to be played" mode

gameplay isn't canon

He does in the intro to the first 2 games.

>The intro
Which is essentially just showing all the stuff you can do in the game and doesn't actually have anything to do with the story.

youtube.com/watch?v=qEQMUZufSyw I reallu like the way cutscenes were made in the original thief games

Haven't played it since release basically dropped in it a few hours as it was crap in comparison to the originals but I thought you found his mechanical eye and if you read texts he did escape in the end and nothing was heard of him after that.

Expert Sabotage the Soulforge allows you to kill humans though

Because the cynical jaded grampas on Sup Forums couldn't adapt with the times and believe the janky clunky stiff movement, controls, and mechanics of the old and ugly piece of shit games were any good.

Deadly Shadows and Thi4f are the only ones worth playing.

Too obvious.

i have the steam version of gold, does it not include cutscenes?

Get tffix

Get TFix

The webm you posted and the modern Tomb Raider both have same linear gameplay. The only difference is that the latter is prettier. You're just wearing nostalgia glasses you fucking shit.

It's a "choose your poison" difficulty, like activating no kills, no sight, no saving, death on sight, etc.

It's horrendously broken and shows just how poorly built the game is.

I was hoping it was a bit more like Hitman 2016 where you could disable most of the hints or hud or the likes.

So the difficultity is just basically "regular stealth difficulty and no spotted"

You can do that but it doesn't come close to fixing the game.

There are more problems than just being too easy. It's legit bad.

Yes there just happen to be two master thieves named Garret with a fucked up eye living in the same city, at nearly the same exact time. Bravo, brilliant writing.

If you need to ask, the 2013 one.

The problem with disabling that stuff in Thi4f is that the game itself is meant to be played with it on.
Without it you'll clearly see waht I mean when you play it for the first time, where certain passages become impossible to navigate trough, since you need to know that an enemy is waiting behind a corner or he'll one-shot you.
And iirc some of the jump passages become triual and error, since oyu can only jump on ledges on certain points, which when disabled don't light up and you can guess where the fuck you have to press jump.

post proof please

That's exactly how I feel with Himan 2016, the game is clearly made with the hints in mind.
I've played Thief 4 for the first mission and so far it seemed like everything was laid out linearly for you with the hints system in place to help you in case you can't walk forward on your own merit

Legend, Anniversary, maybe Underworld if you want tough it falls a bit flat compared to the other two tough it completes the story of them.
Then the old ones in chronological order if you can stomach the graphics of the first 2 or 3.
Avoid Angel of Darkness at all costs.

Then you can try nuTR to see how much Uncharted affected it's direction.
Or just wait for OpenRaider where the team wawnts to recreate the oldest games in the Engine of I think Chronicles, but that'll still take some time.