How do we fix the X-com genre?

How do we fix the X-com genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m_h-PQj51Wg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Have you tried making it not boring as fuck ?

by playing kingdom battle instead :^)

Is Shock Tactics any good?

What game

>literally the fucking file name

>X-com genre
You surely mean turn based grid strategy

Not really

What game?

by not copying the nu X-COMS. 2 actions per turn and cover only affecting hit% is fucking stupid. Way too much focus on the soldiers and not on the organization as a whole.

youtube.com/watch?v=m_h-PQj51Wg

Oh shit, that's radical. I always fantasized about a Front Mission game with terrain destruction.

It also will have a little Nemesis system.

Remove a lot of the strategy in XCom, it's fucking pointless.
Make it more like Jagged Alliance where you have to actually fight for areas and towns. Have it so you don't just "research and the aliens and you all keep up nice and even".

XCom is great fun with tactics but the whole "lolz you level up and unlock shoot rocket number 2" is dumb

I presume there'll be pretty in-depth mech customization, too?
no quad legs no buy

Yes, according to them. I wouldn't expect the spoiler, but at this point it's barebones. Wait until it has more content

It's a shame JA had one great game and then immediately died. All the remakes/reboots/sequels just sucked. I wouldn't even mind seeing JA2 just ported to a new engine with better mod capability and pretty graphics but the same mechanics. That game is a gem.

make it anime

Phoenix point is shaping nicely i think.

>What we are doing with Phoenix Point is very highly detailed interaction and tactical simulator with procedurally generated environments and even on the strategic level.
>For example, Aliens themselves mutate and evolve in response to how you play so each player will facing entirely different enemies. The game is adapting there are also some random elements and you also have the factions you have this world simulation, the world is living even without your intervention.
>I guess you could call it an open world strategic game and this really what sets it apart from the more linear experiences of some of its contemporaries
Dope

>Remove a lot of the strategy in XCom, it's fucking pointless.
What strategy? The new XCOM games are as fucking watered down for the genre as possible.

Here's what you do. Get a lead designer who actually likes strategy games. Don't reduce the scale of your game to appease shitters. Higher unit counts, bigger maps, etc. More resources, more variables. Less time-based mission types because those are fucking lame.

The thing with JA for me, even though I didn't pay much attention to taking over the map, was that there was a constant danger. You had to plan out things. A lot of games now think "planning out" means "hey give this guy a shotgun, this guy a rocket launcher and do three missions to unlock a new perk".
I want actual danger.

See above - the strategy in XCom is basically "gogogo research laser/plasma/whatever, PS aliens now have lasers like you do!" or "hey good for you, you can shoot a fucking rocket!!!" And my personal favourite "Commander, do you want to build pointless fucking building that just doesn't matter A or B?"

Remove it for an actual strategy and not "gotta press buttons to play on an even field

Change the top to have absolutely no one replying and him crying himself to sleep in his bed and you'll have a more accurate image.

How about this?

bottom right is mostly steam mentality, which has bled more in more into Sup Forums mentality over the years unfortunately, even Dream Diary threads are filled with steam babies talking verbatim basically the same talkiing points..

Feels like PC has more entitled underage faggots in general lately. Like they want each console game on PC because they're used to non-shitty ports and all of the good emulators which wasn't that common back then

The worst thing about nuXCOM is the lack of actual projectiles. You either hit, or your bullets disappear into thin air.

Soldiers have stats not skills.
Gear gives them the skills.
They can use the gear at any level but their stats determine how good they are with it.
Example,
Exosuit Punch: Requires skill in Tech, Piloting, Melee to get the best result.

More Base Management, MORE BASES!
Let players design the layout of the base so you can have winding corridors and make base defense interesting, if it ever comes to that.

Bring back AP, no more 2 move shit. Enemies don't get that little Cutscene reaction to your soldiers when they are first discovered.

More Avenues for research.
A Spy team that works like research but is used to get suppliers and logistics.
Missions on/in water.

make one that's also a fantasy card game
i'm not even pretending to be retarded

Is FFT and Onimusha Tactics part of the x-com genre?

I'd really like that stats over skills. Rubber bullets are a thing, I'm sure they can jammy in "cushioned robot fists" or something for a training exercise. So you can have your trainees practice defense skills but run the risk of them being hurt for a few days.

Water missions are, eh but I can see the appeal.

AP is definitely a needed thing, imo, once we remove the special abilities.
Maybe change it so you can pick/randomize certain classes but not abilities, they learn skills faster. Say a infranty unit has a choice of assault rifles or shotguns but would be bad with LMGs. Likewise a heavy gunner would have good stats to learn an LMG but bad shotgun or assault rifle.

The spy thing seems really neat, a bit like Evil Genius but much more expanded

Remove randomness as much as possible.
Reduce the impact of individual dice rolls.
Damage should weaken a character's offensive capabilities.

Good examples: Hard West, Silent Storm, Expeditions Conquistador, Banner Saga
Bad examples: XCOM

>front mission but good
>implying front mission 3 (and 4) is not the best game in the genre and the best mech game ever

Make the game fair. xcom 2 hit chances are just random numbers that mean nothing. Yesterday I missed 3 shots in a row with different soldiers and they were 65%, 63%, 71%. Then I hit 24% shot. The chance of missing those 3 first shots is like 3%.
I don't know how the random system actually works but I am 110% sure there is some behind the scene bullshit.

Actually, the game is cheating in your favor on every level but legendary. If you missed 3 shots in sequence, you were getting +15% for each shot, i think.

it's 3.7%. Not that unreasonable to happen. It just seems unfair because of how badly the game is designed.
The problem with XCOM is a) that it's not realistic to even have a miss chance on a minivan sized alien right in front of you and b) that a single dice roll can be the difference between complete success and complete failure.

Better designed games don't let a single enemy that's already down to 1hp wipe your whole squad.

This

If I was getting +15 for each future shot, than the chance of missing those 3 shots in a row was even smaller.

I have no idea how the aim assists work though, go ask the autists at /xcg/

Nu-XCOM is shallow as fuck. Silent Storm did everything better since it yearned to simulate physics. XCOM:EU and beyond are just boardgames that follow strict, asinine and arbitrary rules on cover and shit instead of just simulating shit.