Why aren't more people into point and click adventures?

Why aren't more people into point and click adventures?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B17opczUp1M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

idk, they used to be like the main type of pc game, perhaps it was one of those industry moving away from it things. like lucasarts stopping, and sierra.

the last good one i played was this one called culpa innata a few years ago, it was 3d but pretty interesting. i don't know if it's still around no-one talks about it.

Nonsensical puzzles pushed away reasonable players.

They've been effectively replaced by walking simulators

Telltale shifted focus to moral choices that totally change the game

If I wanted to read a book, I'd read a book

I like them, but the most popular ones tend to be the most obnoxious of the genre with stupid solutions so it's no wonder the average person gets repelled by it.

>have to think
>have to read
>takes actual talent to create
Look at the art design of Full Throttle. Compare it to half-assed modern pixelshit. If you're going to spend several hours looking at something why would you want it to be ugly?

They rely too much on the puzzle designers wims for me to enjoy, so I get frustrated.

Because the puzzles were bullshit. No, not difficult. Bullshit.

Also the fact that once you knew the solutions the games were an hour at most, maybe two.

>knowing the solutions to the puzzles allows you to beat a point and click puzzle game quickly
Woah... Funny how that works...

I argue they still do exist and are still popular.

grim fandango, full throttle, i have no mout but i must scream. Those are great games. The thing is devs are creative in story writing anymore. So gl. I think Telltales early games were great. Love puzzle agent.

To be fair, OP didn't claim they didn't exist and weren't somewhat popular. He was just questioning why they weren't more so.

too little gameplay for the everage ""hardcore"" gamer, too much gameplay for the average cinemtic experiences casuals

The point is not the speed, but the lack of content. They relied heavily on you getting stuck as an artificial way to lengthen their games, but once that was gone you realized there was barely anything there to begin with.

The only people who make them these days are kickstarter hacks trying to make a quick buck off of nostalgia and some German guys.

telltale showed us how video games writers can no longer make creative, charming, interesting settings or games. they include pointless choices designed to trick the customers into thinking they did something meaningful (even though all the goods point and click games were linear).

Tim Schafer saw this and decided he will single handedly ensured no child will have any interest in point and click adventures again. he killed it with his bare hands and told anyone that cares about the quality of point and click games to fuck off and die.

>and told anyone that cares about the quality of point and click games to fuck off and die.
I guess that's why he kept making them.

Was Broken Age really that bad?

the problem is the games are bad even though I love them and played a bunch of them they aren't good and the puzzles are stupid and require extreme leaps of thought because they sure as hell aren't logical

>Tim Schafer saw this and decided he will single handedly ensured no child will have any interest in point and click adventures again
?

Post good modern point & click games

Daedalic makes some good ones. I like the Edna and Harvey games

youtu.be/B17opczUp1M

MOBAs are literally the most played games out there

Target audience hasn't change. The industry didn't move away. There are dozens of point&clicks being released every year. It just got overshadowed by the action games.

They eventually devolve into shoving every item into every orifice on every room until something happens, because they were never really about puzzles, and more about taking the piss.

Try Thimbleweed Park. It's a pretty decent point-n-click. I had fun with it. Made by Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick. Good return-to-form.

Yeah I always just end up doing this. I guess I just don't enjoy puzzles, or those types of puzzles at least. That said, The Longest Journey is still one of my favourites, but it could have been a pure VN and still held that spot, I don't like it for the puzzles.

kino

This, puzzles with absurd, nonsensical solutions is the norm and after a couple you just get tired of trying to combine x item in inventory with every pixel on the screen.

The deponia games are a more modern take on them that kind of get away with it because the people live on a garbage planet, but what does it say when the only way to make it work is to make the setting of the game a literal planet of random crap?

Modern adventure games moved away from that. Modern audiences demand logical puzzles so that's what they get most of the time.

This. It also had some shitty puzzles but it was really good otherwise

People want more interactions with the game, that's why Telltale's game got popular.

Book of Unwritten tales

waiting for TSIOQUE. The demo was good.

They are at best puzzle games.
People don't like puzzles.
They often look up the solution, thus defeating the entire the purpose of the puzzle.
Many times they will brute force them by trying every permutation they can without thinking.

Other times it isn't there fault.
Puzzles that don't operate on any kind of logic or ones that require you to hunt for a magic pixel to click on.