Will we ever have another game that comes close to old Thief games in terms of stealth and atmosphere again?

Will we ever have another game that comes close to old Thief games in terms of stealth and atmosphere again?

I acknowledge that Thief series have its share of flaws such as marble tiles, but no game has ever achieved giving such a thrilling sensation of thievery.

no
next question

I'll take the bait. Why are marble tiles a flaw?

Not op. Been a LONG time since I last played the game, but iirc you walk on them even slightly faster than tiptoe and the sound alerts every guard in a 10 mile vicinity.

Pure stealth is too niche for anyone to bother anymore. Thief 2 will eternally remain the best.

Shut the door Alec, there's a draft.

Yeah, so you need to decide whether you want to use a moss arrow, walk slowly and risk being spotted, or run across and hide from the alerted guards. It's an interesting obstacle that you need to work around.

>Will we ever have another game that comes close to old Thief games in terms of stealth and atmosphere again?
Stealth, no, but in terms of atmosphere, STALKER exceeded Thief in every way, but it goes for a completely different tone.

this, moss arrows are so plentiful that they must be growing from the underside of Garrett's balls

You can creep on tile/metal by tapping w which lets you not make any noisy steps. That or use moss arrows.

The only time you have to worry about til or metal flooring is if you jump or land on one of those surfaces.

>marble tiles
>flaws
You're nearly silent otherwise.

Someone post the thief info pic please. I'll give it a try.

Danke bratan.

Anyone know some good Dark Mod FMs?

>being smart enough to like Thief
>being too stupid to understand the gameplay reasons behind tile floors
what's next? hurr durr why does garrett wear tap shoes?

The Elixer is a very nice little one that just came out.
Anything by Melan (esp. Penny Dreadful series)
Requiem and House of Locked Secrets (the second one in particular is amazingly good but not like a standard Thief level)
Volta and the Stone & Volta 2
Spoonman's missions (Full Moon Fever and King of the Mountain)
William Steele series
Alberic's Curse

there's a pc gamer article on good Dark Mod FMs

What FM should I play tonight?

No and here's why: Thief had "gather X loot" as a requirement on harder difficultites. That was a reason to explore.
Most games miss that about stealth.

Yes, yes, I can "explore" in Hitman and go "hey, look, I Can shoot the target instead of poisoning him, neat!" but there was on reason - I was a hitman and I performed a hit the first time and got away without being discovered.
Same with Splinter Cell: hack these computers, kill this guy, call it a day. Why bother looking around? For "Plot"? Fuck that.

Deus Ex is the only one that even came close since it genuinely did have thought into alternative routes. HR did a bad job but fuck it's not really DX, it's a shitty sequel.

Thief was an exploration-stealth. Most games now are just stealth-kill or stealth-objective, no reason to really explore.
I know plenty of levels in Thief 1 and 2 are "go to part X, done!", but my point is that even those levels had the element of "hey you might find something if you look"

Gaming died with Looking Glass

Read your first sentence and immediately knew you were THAT guy. Shut up, yuppie. You're not some hotshot game director. You're just an idiot who likes to think he knows a thing about game design.

Educate me.
In the major stealth franchies, outside of Thief and Deus Ex, what reason is there to explore?

Now, you'll say Dishonored. But you'd be wrong - it's generally an "open" level with a few side things here and there. Essentially a bit like discovering the 'ton Hotel in New York.

So, what else you got?

Your solution is to just throw collectible loot everywhere and suddenly that makes it a good game. Shut the fuck up, idiot. These aren't collectathons. Stealth games don't need a 'scrounge for loot' total to be a good stealth game. That's just your genuine autism.

user, there isn't a search for loot in Deus Ex, either.
Unless you want to be insanely pedantic and list "those three augs in out of the way places" or "because Shifter added in some weapons in out of the way places, you think the game should be entirely like that".

I don't.
I simply don't see why stealth games try to be like Thief while ignoring the most simple of successes it had "here is a reason to explore".
Deus Ex gave us that.

Many, many stealth games before and after it have and are just as good - the question is stealth and atmosphere - both combined need a reason to explore.

So again, I ask, outside of those two games, what franchises give you a reason to explore?

"explore" is a vastly underused mechanic in games these days. Now it's all about following the compass and HUD marker around without thinking. There's no surprise or mystery. In that recent Paul Neurath video he talks about how exploring is important in Thief.