Are there any good MMOs worth playing at the moment?

Other urls found in this thread:

guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/117415-longest-videogame-marathon-on-world-of-warcraft
youtube.com/watch?v=fWvAznIRVLA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

genres dead, user, genres dead....

;_; rip
Seems it's just BDO and FFXIV that are relevant today

>BDO
ESO, maybe.

I found BDO to be genuinely fun when I tried it, it's just loaded with shitty P2W mechanics to the point where it's not worth playing seriously.

there's always vanilla WoW private servers

>Seems it's just BDO and FFXIV that are relevant today

Haha, no. The weeb shit is dead.

WoW is still the strongest. On the second place is ESO (playerbase and sales). Third place would be FFXIV (playbase and sales are lower than eso).

If you want to play a mmorpg right now: WoW, ESO or D&D Online.

>BDO
>Weebshit
Hello retard.

every time I feel like getting into an MMO I face the same problem: theyr'e exceptionally shitty games to get into.

if it's not a monthly fee, it's the fact that I'm not only buying the game but the current expansion up front. if that's not the case, then it's some shitty freemium game.

If you're after a 24/7 no life old way of playing MMOs, that's fucking dead and buried because none of them is worth it. Those days are over. For casual play, WoW is still the best of the bunch.

I gotta admit I'm enjoying MMO's a ton more since I only play them occasionally for a bit of fun.

project1999.com

He... is talking about FFXIV, slowpoke.

Hello shill

>D&D Online
is this actually good? it says I can play for free, but what's the catch?

the catch is that its shit.

It's not even an mmo, it's a party based dungeon crawler with a hub city

>D&D Online

Please tell me it got revived by some major patch or expansion. I fucking loved that game.

ESO shills is in full force today. That shit is even worse than SWTOR yet every mmo thread there are faggots who shill it to high heavens.

Play a private server of an older game, when the genre was good.

There's really nothing today that's worth playing.

Can someone explain why it’s dead?
Is it because the community is so restrictive?
Is it because lack of advertising?
Gameplay isn’t fun anymore? Things being nerfed or buffed to hell?
Or is it Sup Forums being hive minded?

This
Modern Wow is actually really good.
Understand that I'm not saying it doesn't have a lot of problems but the content itself is p gud.

but is it?

well, that still sounds pretty fun. what's the catch behind "PLAY FOR FREE" though?

I've been really liking ESO lately, since subbing is optional and a ton of content can be done solo it's a game you can just play a little bit at a time when you feel like it

The catch is that as of a certain point there's almost only paid dungeons. As a f2p player there's not much content you can do. Also endgame is prebuffing: the mmo.

Brb, going back in time to play The Matrix Online.

I think one of the problems is the value, it's not worth it. Gaming is so cheap now, why play an MMO when you can play Fortnite for free. Or get Dark Souls on sale and play that for hundreds of hours. So many games stole addiction game design FROM mmos, so why play them at all when all these other games can give you a variety of gameplay experiences for the same price as your subscription.

I've noticed this too the last few days.
Someone is lonely in ESO.

Try Dragon's Dogma Online
Only downside is region lock, so you'll have to use a VPN in order to at least make the character
Aside from that, pretty good game, 8/10 (for me at least)

ASSFAGGOTS sucked away a good chunk of the audience, and developers looking to make a quick buck moved on to mobileshit instead of making shitty MMOs that occasionally turned out to be decent. MMOs take a lot of work to do right, mobile garbage not so much.

runescape

literally world of warcraft

>Can someone explain why it’s dead?
Warcraft's success had every publisher scrambling to make teh next big game to get a piece of that pie, but they always missed the mark. The market is oversaturated with clones and "killers" that are just pale imitations of Warcraft or (worse) Korean dreck. Very few games do their own thing or attempt to innovate because of the risk attached. Now the genre is stagnant because of it.

Kickstarter is the only real hope this genre has in breaking away from corporate idealism and the insanity that is trying to replicate how Blizzard bottled lightning with the release of Warcraft.

TRY REAL LIFE
GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING BUT GAMEPLAY SUCKS

Of course not.

I'm playing Neverwinter and ESO on PS4. Thinking of starting Skyforge or FF14. I never knew how great it felt to play an MMO on console until I tried it. Blizzard should make WoW for consoles.It's a guarantee profit.

I think this is unironically probably the best MMORPG, old school that is.

Isnt Neverwinter just a P2W or pay to do something game?

Skyforge is not great. I played about 10-15 hours; it's biggest problem is the lack of progression and that classes are locked behind cash shop or a stupid grind. You'll spend 3 hours in a quest hub and when you leave wonder what you actually got out of it.

Shame because the gameplay was really fun.

>you will never be so enthralled by an MMO you play 24 hours straight
>you will never have a guild of friends who actually have conversations constantly again
>you will never add these friends outside of the game, and form relationships with them
>you will never look forward to that level up or that skill gain, the one you've been looking forward to for weeks
>you will never find a new map and be in awe of the scale of it, like a whole new country in your mind
>you will never contemplate the unknowns, the what ifs or could be's, everything is just data mined now
>you will never be excited, happy or jumping for joy at acquiring something new in an MMO
>there will never, ever be a good MMO ever again

MMORPGs gave embraced theit casual side and they're not hiding it;and unlike what Sup Forums wants yoy to believe GW2 is your best choice.Tgis game can scratch that itch and its ridiculously easy to get into,lvl,and gear.Most people here quit a week after it released due to obscene expectations(it was hyped up to the stratosphere) but the game has one the biggest populations out there might even get 3rd place eclipsing FFXIV itself.No subs required and you can get its paid currency with in game farming quite easily.

Real life is the worst MMO
>Laws are fucking retarded in many zones
>Trapped in a place where I'm likely to be attacked by some dickass gankers
>Not even allowed to defend myself
>If I have a tool for self defence they take my money
>If I injure my attacker, they take my money
>If my attacker is a minority, it's a hate crime
>Fast travel is slower than walking, encounter rate for accidents is insane
>Have to do other peoples' jobs for them

korean shit is at least 3x worse than weebshit

It's heavily encouraged to buy stuff, with the old "lootboxes drop from enemies but you need a cash key to open them." And "finish the dungeon and get a choice of two chests but one of them needs a cash key to open." But you can do fine without it. Seasonal events will give you mounts and special equips that can put you on par with people who uses cash shops. At level 30, you get a secondary loadout so if you fucked up your skill distribution, you get a free reset. Of course, there's always the exchange market, where you can exchnage daily currencies you get for doing dungeons for the cash currency. So it's pretty generous, if a bit in your face. PS+ users get a few free items to start out and a free 30 day of VIP, which gives you a free dungeon and lootbox key everyday for 30 days, so it's good to just try it out. Single player content is good and there's a lot of stuff you can just solo. It's worth a try at least.

Thread reminded me of this:
guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/117415-longest-videogame-marathon-on-world-of-warcraft

It's the official record.

Shit, maybe I'll skip it and just play FF14 then. The gameplay looked fun and I don't see a lot of "action" mmo's on console. Really wanted to scratch that itch because TERA isn't here yet. How's the character creator at least? I can handle a few ours of grind if I can make a sexy lady.

Playing Return of Reckoning and I'm having a good time, don't know if it's your cup of tea but check it out.

>gamer's edition

88ewwww111e1111eqwq

Not sure, not one to fuck with character creators. TERA open beta did just drop though for PS4/Xbone.

Sadly this. I've spend 5 years on Perfect World but the shit just died a slow death.
I'll never find a game with such a market and the pvp style. Feelsbadman

But WoW is trash, it was good for like 2 expansions. So it has been bad longer than it has been good.

>29hrs
Goodlord, I'm a world record holder and I didn't even fucking know it.
Eat shit plebs, I'm off to collect my medal or whatever.

>
Fucking scrub. Though I immensely regret it because the game went to shit, I sat and played FFXIV for roughly 40 hours when I first started.

>waiting on Chronicles of Elyria
>Life is Feudal went from project greenlight to project greenbux almost instantly on launch
>CoE dropped the one engine they were hyping for 2+ years. "oh yea we forgot we could do exactly what this meticulously, specifically designed engine at base"
I'm sweating here boys, i can't deal with CoE getting pointers from Star Citizen

OH SHIT, NIGGA!!! DOWNLOADING NOW!!!

Maplestory for me.

I'm playing gw2 and it's not so bad.
There is bullshit like map chat and trading being restricted for f2p and the loot boxes, but my friends play it and I go where they go.
Wouldn't play an mmo otherwise.

youtube.com/watch?v=fWvAznIRVLA

I'm excited for this one, personally.

one of the reasons the genre is dead is because you dont really have to go out and do anything anymore, any secrets the game might have are found within minutes through datamining and other means and the games dont force people to work together anymore so people aren't trying to talk to each other

redpill me on chronicles of elyria

how is the pc version of tera even doing now

>still no private server

It was successful. That says nothing for how good it is, only that it was successful. Nowadays you have free to play cancer like League and Korean garbage dominating sales charts, so games will naturally get worse as publishers go where the money is.

Be glad you got to experience those precious expansions because it's only downhill from here.

Wurm Online meets Star Wars Galaxies in a eugenics filled world with a backdrop of Game of Thrones tier aristocracy

>WoW, ESO or D&D Online.
Could you have given worse recommendations? jesus christ.

FF14 is perfectly fine for me.

Those days when I had time to no-life 24/7 an MMORPG have long gone now. If the game wasn't casualized to this level, I wouldn't be playing. Last time I touched an MMO before was WOW TBC, but I quit before raid culture completely ruined my life, and swore never touch the genre again. Since it has changed a lot, it is bearable for me.

wasn't lost ark supposed to be the next big mmo? is it dead?

WoW, FFXIV, ESO are the three, solid big ones. BDO is the best Korean game imo but there are a few others worthy of mention such as TERA. If you don't mind clunk with a charm, Neverwinter is fun. SWTOR is playable due to the class stories but it's essentially just a singleplayer game. Lineage II Classic if you wanna relive the old days.

there's a reason why they're going to consoles

>Since it has changed a lot, it is bearable for me.
This reads like an Indian or Japanese wrote a review.

How sad people shill that trash.

I wish more MMO's would. I'd think it'd be an easy port, and it's a sure fire way to boost the playerbase.

most MMOs have 10+ spells/abilites per character, 3+ chat channels (local,trade,guild), and you can only ask so much of a remote

If Microsoft would hurry up with the MKB support, they just might actually be noteworthy again on the console market

MMOs? More like is there a single good multiplayer game out right now
l4d2 gets boring after a while

Name branding is a powerful thing.
>It was successful. That says nothing for how good it is, only that it was successful.

When something becomes popular people want to be part of the in-group. Of course when they can't into something they complain and since the company wishes to keep the money flowing in it casualizes. However this makes the overall game become worse as they have to keep appealing to the lowest common denominator. So only people who haven't experience what made it so popular in the first place and want to be part of the in-group end up liking it. Of course you will always get cult like fanboys and people who have invested to much into the game still playing it.

However MMOs are not the same as other types of media since they have dedicated player bases. This causes problems since companies that normally rely on copying preexisting formulas will fail thus marking the genre as a dangerous and risky marketplace. No company nowadays makes that kind of risk so they either don't make one or copy WoW to an extent and rely on a preexisting consumer base like Star Wars, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, etc.

MMOs are dead because the real ones died long ago and the only remaining are themepark games and why would you play one of those when you can get similar experiences but without all the downtime in games like Destiny and Fortnite and whatnot.

half the value in playing MMOs in the old day was getting max level. Once max level you then went the arduous grind for better gear. Socializing and just generally fuckery was also part of MMOs.

Now its all about endgame endgame endgame - leveling? fuck leveling. Its all now this on rails guise to max level so you can go raid into HARDBOILED mode. Socializing is done in guild chat and mostly thats shit now too. Screwing around doesn't exist much anymore either because people take min/maxing too seriously

Socializing is done in Discord more often now. You can tell the older guilds apart from the newer ones, because the newer ones have mandatory Discords and 99% of conversation happening there. I joined a large raiding guild and nobody talked except the token casual/social guy who says hello/grats to everyone who logs in or achieves something.

Fuck Discord.

So whats the list of MMO's supposedly coming out
>Star citizen (lol)
>Ashes of Creation
>Crowfall
>Chronicles of Elyria
>Maplestory 2 (SCRAPPED)
>Bless online

>Dragon's Dogma Online
they should just give it to western audiences too, seems like a decent mmo

Don't be angry at a good program for being better than anything else it competes against. You never were in a proper guild if you didn't have almost ALL of your chat on vent/TS.

Do you want player base and content? WoW and FFXIV are about it. WoW being the clear leader in both.

Superhero movies filling the void. Even Marvel Heroes got shut down recently.

really? I think it was always the same, bigger guilds need you on ts/vent
only it's discord now, but bigger communities can be shitty as hell on discord

Vindictus

Shit game.

>min/max
I think this is part of the problem, added with the currency systems.

No one wants to only be able to run content once a week to have a "chance" at an item drop for their set. Added with doing repeated boring dailies to get tokens so you can buy gear sets that are better than shit you can craft or find in the world was the worst design ever. It drives people to not explore old content and the world. Allowing players to craft the best gear in the game would help drive this shit. But that also generates bots.

Subjectively wrong

>destiny 2 releases
>build a clan
>get 40 people together
>we all talk all the time
>we all do content
>we have a great time doing all sorts of shit
>expansion hits
>everyone quits

>enemy doesn't even swing at you
Wow so good

What good private servers of good ol' games are there?

>swings twice and hits once, getting absorbed by mana counter

Waiting on Aion 6.0, but playing PSO2 at the meantime. Pretty fun.

I'd rather play something that isn't shit.

>posts knock off dragon nest

Pic unrelated?

>knock off dragon nest
>implying that is bad
The only thing soulworker lacks right now is character selection. The 4 it has right now are really boring both in playstyle and look.

Still better than Vindictus the abandoned experiment.

>abandoned
still getting more content now than soul worker will ever get in it's short cash grab lifetime

This. It's hardly an MMORPG, but a fun online game nonetheless. The only online game with a real dungeon crawling.

It blows my mind that Rift is using the Gamebyro engine.

pedo game