Hexen

How could it be brought back?

I think simply making it a first person Demon's Souls clone would work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hUQcrXNxCbU?t=7m27s
youtu.be/pcS8vdbgKSY?t=10m7s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What about heretic?

>What about heretic?

What about it?

just add some new weapons with mods and its enjoyable again

nu-doom, but with hexen/heretic.

Metroid Prime but you reskin it to dark fantasy.

Unironically yes please.

ew no

*blocks your path*

Redneck Rampage while we're at it to.

definitely maybe

dark fantasy nudoom with a large interconnected world like souls/metroidvania games would be interesting

It definitely has to stay first person though regardless of whatever else.

It kind of already is that.

>cleric flechette
>ghosts
>Timon's Axe
>Arc of Death
Psst, nothing personnel kid

Toggle.

Downgrade it back to Heretic so it won't be fucking unplayable Backtracking: The Game.

Kill yourself, Hexen was fantastic. Heretic is its own thing so let Hexen be Hexen.

>FPV DeS.
No, that would suck. FPV melee games suck nutsack, all of em' (Chiv, Mordhau, Skyrim, Dark Messiah, Kingdom Come, etc) for actual combat.
All of them have that same free-wheeling slip-and-slide floaty-ass feel to them.

Hexen, while simple for obvious reasons, did melee just fine. Dark Messiah was also amazing but far more complex.

Dark Messiah was a fun game, but the melee combat in it was shit. The reason it was fun had more to do with the dumb shit you could pull off, like freezing the ground and kicking end.ies off of bridges.

I had to drop Hexen a few years ago because I got lost.

Seven Portals? It gets better after the first hub, it's worth pushing on.

First person Hexen combat shouldn't be detailed like those games you mentioned anyways. It would work best with more simpler melee combat with an emphasis on everything feeling powerful. Hexen's melee is fine. I've also seen people say Condemned had good melee combat.

>there will never be a game where you play as the apprentices of the Serpent Riders and you're out to reclaim their souls after the events of Petal of Praevus

I could easily take that idea and throw something together in ue4 in a year

Couldn't disagree more, all the combat improvements introduced in Hexen RPG make the experience a hell of a lot more enjoyable and varied.

When it's tacked on like Hexen, that's fine. But dedicated melee games shouldn't be FPV, because it will always feel like cheap dogshit.

>But dedicated melee games shouldn't be FPV, because it will always feel like cheap dogshit.
thank you, it's always good to hear someone say the truth

die instantly

The same game but with more than 4 weapons and 5 enemies

just play amid evil once its out
or wait for monomyth

You want to know why? It's pretty simple.
In FPV melee games you have a hard time judging the reach of your attacks. So, they take out melee planting and add the ability to move freely while attacking to make up for it.
At this point the game is basically fucked as a melee game.
Free-wheeling melee feels slippery and shitty. Anyone somebody complains about the a game feeling "floaty" they are always talking about this quality.
On top of that it changes spacing into a very weird shimmying minigame, forces melee to be patently slower for balance reasons, and basically destroys the concepts of pressure.

Okay but Hexen RPG melee combat isn't as in depth as something like Skyrim or Chivalry. It is still much more simpler.
Hexen isn't a dedicated melee game. It had three classes to play as and it just so happened two of them had some melee ability with the fighter being almost entirely melee based. First person melee would be fine. Plenty of games have done it right.

Not one game has done it right my man.

When Dark Messiah just came out it felt like the most expensive AAA game ever made and nothing has beaten this experience for me so far so fuck you.
3rd person view is literally the way to save money on details and make 3D action games playable for console peasants without mouse and keyboard.

In your opinion. Plenty of games have is the truth. Just because melee is better in 3rd person view does not mean it is absolute shit like you say in 1st person. Stop being so dramatic.

Here you go m8. All this applies to Dark Messiah.

mouse aim mod is really all it needs
game is pretty good on it's own and doesnt even need a "le reboot", just reminders to others that it exists

WHERE IS MY HEXEN 64 CARTRIDGE DID MY AUTIST BROTHER STEAL IT???

Same desu. Reached the seven portals and i literally lost it.

are you ready to cry mortal?

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Fuck, i really need to find my cd. It had hexen, heretic and doom 2 burned on it

What is the big difference between Heretic and Hexen that makes them their own distinct series? Was Hexen originally considered a sequel to Heretic, before being considered a spinoff?

Hexen is about exploration and puzzle solving in large open environments, Heretic is literally fantasy Doom.

It was interpreted that way initially.considering Hexen continued the idea of defeating the Serpent Riders. But then they went off their own seperate directions, with Hexen 2 continuing with the whole exploration focus and hub idea of maps while Heretic 2 suddenly went third person for reasons that stll don't make sense to me.

You know you have map, right?

Truly I would enjoy a reboot of this series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

You really need to use the map for clues as to areas and things to investigate as well as switches you might have missed.

Fuck Hexen is great though.

Am i weird if i liked Hexen more than Doom.
Also, what the fuck even happened with Hellraid ?

This is the most FUNDAMENTALLY SHITTY opinion I have ever seen. There's no greater virtue in video games than total, absolute control over your movement. Animators overdoing their job and characters feeling like immobilized bags of shit are what kills modern games.
>you have a hard time judging the reach of your attacks
Implying this wouldn't apply to 3PV games if they didn't have attacks' auto-aim, half-screen range etc.

3D heretic with riveting story, sure

Sure but you when need to constantly run between multiple locations it barely helps.

>Having to move around in a game about exploration
How terrible.

Maken X, which is a Sega Dreamcast game, it was a FPV melee combat game. It had lock on so you don't freewheel.
youtu.be/hUQcrXNxCbU?t=7m27s

For comparison's sake, Maken Shao, is the remake of Maken X for the PS2, its main difference/change is the third person perspective.
youtu.be/pcS8vdbgKSY?t=10m7s

Oh, you forgot to mention SW: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. The lightsaber combat in those game is freewheely, but in third person.

>having to move around already explored cleared and explored again locations without any clue about if you are actually progressing or not

Or the Zeno Clash games

This right here is why I only ever got 2 or 3 levels into Hexen. Gotta love looking for hours having no idea where to go or what to do.

That's called Kings Field fuckhead.

Brainlet support group when?

>take doom 2016
>make it in the Hexen universe
>call it Hexen to overcomplicate everything

>first person Demon's Souls
Kingsfield The Ancient City would be your bag.

This right here is why games are casual with quest markers telling you exactly where to go.
>>>/skyrim/

Not even close

Fucking caves of circle

>Demon's Souls clone would work
Kill yourself.
>wanting small rooms with 5 monsters at max and killing them with QTEs while djent plays in background
Kill yourself.

Caves of Circe is easy dude
Except for maybe the misleading map

Thanks for bringing this horrible dick move back to the memory

Not at all. I love Doom but Hexen is still my favorite.

Hellraid is dead, and no, that's fine. I personally think Strife is the best Doom engine/90's fps

Fuck Wastelands.

What are your favorite weapon?

Hellstaff, shame that it's so disproportionately underpowered.

Dragon Claw and Arc of Death

hahahahaha

>Gauntlets + Tome of Power

As long as Eidolon's apprentice is the Demoness. She was a lot of fun in Hexen 2.

But it's already back, user.

So you mean King's Field? Jesus fuck, are you underage?

>horde shooter
user pls

I really wanted to like this game but it's so bulletspongey.

>copies the Serpent Staff from Hexen
>doesn't even include the secondary life-leech effect if used in melee
Otherwise Ziggurat is nothing like Hexen or Heretic.

I suck at this game. 30 hours in and I haven't beaten it once.

is this objectively the angriest arm in the history of video games?

In a game centered around surviving life leech would be unbalanced as fuck.

>first person Demon's Souls clone
So King's Field?
In all seriousness, the whole first person rpg genre is such an underused genre, I wish games like Dark Messiah, Hexen, King's Field and Heretic would see a revival, Bethesda has been monopolizing that genre for too long.

Maybe so but Wraith Rings exist so the game is piss easy already.

>Severence clone
No.

>Cutscenes, Press X to awesome, and a max of 8 dudes at one time
No.

>Metroid Prime but you reskin it to dark fantasy.
If they removed a lot of the cutscenes and popup boxes that interrupted gameplay, yes.
Otherwise No.
Have you not played Metroid Prime? The game fucking loves to interrupt gameplay to give you a popup box helpfully informing you about what you literally just fuckin did.

>The same game but with more than 4 weapons and 5 enemies
Has merits but you could also improve on the originals' flaws. A bit too much find-the-switch and not enough fighting dudes. Easy way to solve both is to breadcrumb the way to the objective with stuff to fight.

i beat Hexen 64for the first time in co-op last year. pretty proud of myself, pixel hunting with those muddy N64 graphics with a screen cut in half was pretty tricky.
only had to use a walkthrough once, couldn't find one of the levels hidden behind a room with a bunch of barrels and shit in the second-last hubworld. i already forgot all the names

Yes, it's also my absolute favourite.

I'm old enough to have been playing Hexen since it was new back in the DOS days but as a kid the labyrinthine level design frankly baffled me to where I never got passed the second stage where you're in that long area and on either side are all the doors with portals inside. I still can't get passed it to this day.

Cleric > Mage > Fighter

Hexen and Heretic are literal Doom clones.

>Hexen
>Doom clone
Lolno

Hexen is not a Doom clone.

It uses the Doom engine, you can even play the .WAD in a Doom sourceport, it's as close you can get to a Doom clone.

So Strife is a Doom clone too?