How do we fix Smash Shields?

How do we fix Smash Shields?

Attached: Image_026.png (952x474, 33K)

Just add more lag when dropping shield, have it scale up based on how much damage you've taken while shielding.

Get rid of the shitty skill-less shield animation so you actually have to predict when an opponent is going to block.

By making shields stronger to encourage more defensive play

buff grabs duh

make shield stats not global
instead each character has their own shield health and regen/degen rate
heavier or more defensive characters would have stronger shields while lighter or more offensive characters would have weaker shields

U a dumb tourneyfag.

every character has yoshi shield

This, though I think that'd be a lil unfair for jigglypuff. She'd pop instantly on shield breaker.

Why does it matter? It's a kids game for fucks sakr

Shields negate knockback but damage still gets through.

>kids game
This retarded notion again and again.
As a developer, you want to reel in the broadest range of players.
If theres something for Everyone, it'll get lots of sales. This is common fucking sense my dude. Only a retard would design something entirely only for kids.

Attached: IMG_15092013_152706.png (172x188, 51K)

brainlet

And now, with a skilled enough opponent, match can last forever, unless they deactivate in Sudden Death.

expect the bad outcome because you don't get what you want with Sakurai.

>Worse outcome
>Shield automatically recharge EXCEPT when you attack.

Didn't Melee handle shields fine?

Bar some bizarre cases of 100% shields not fully covering someone like G&W and DK

I feel like Melee shields handled size, stun and regeneration just fine

>What are grabs

Melee handled a lot of things very well. But there is a meme that casuals never liked playing melee.

Thank you for explaining Smash4

>kids and autists game
ftfy

yeah and you can predict grabby opponents by grabbing first. you can hold shield and press A to grab. a defensive play would outweigh an aggressive one.

No problem m8

by getting rid of them

I'd love a game with Melee as a "base" with some of Smash 4's smaller optimizations

>input buffer but smaller, like 6 frames instead of fucking 11
>getting spiked onto a stage leading to a ground-bounce
>ditching meteor-cancelling altogether
>no invincibility on edge regrab
>can grab edge when facing backwards
>dope red-lightning effect when a KO is near guaranteed
>multi-hits link better and are harder to escape but not impossible
>no crouch cancelling

thats for a new Smash altogether and not changing Melee though

Just fucking make it like melee holy shit. Melee is by no means perfect, but reverting the mechanics back would fix the vast majority of Smash 4's problems.

Smash 4 is that child that does bad deeds because he doesn't like being told what he did was wrong. Brawl of all games has better gameplay now.

dodging uses a bit of your shield.

Make L-canceling consume shield durability.

Attached: cheeseman.png (442x341, 182K)

This the true best outcome

Don't fix what's not broken
Just grab

>melee
>blocking
jesus. you guys are taking it a bit serious no? whenever someone came to my house and blocked in melee I'd always make fun of him for weeks. fucking blocking lmao

Get rid of them. Characters now take on a defensive pose that reduces or nullifies knockback and reduces damage taken variant on the type of character ie Bowser would be far heftier.

>don't fix what's not broken
>when Smash 4's shield system is on the extreme end of the spectrum with 64 at the other end

Melee and Brawl's shield were just fine.

>block in fighting games
>autistic friend thinks he's making fun of me for not getting hit like a retard

Again, just grab. It's not like shields are hard to counter.

Nah. We need a game that captures the feeling of playing melee (Speed, freedom, flashy air combat), but the streamlined simplicity and efficiency of Smash 4 (Better visual cues, less glitches and exploits, more unique movesets).

How I'd do it:
>Start with Smash 4
>Reduce landing lag to L-Cancel levels
>Increased block stun, so you can't just block and punish against the opponent's approach anymore
>Grab breaks. If you guess which way the opponent is going to throw you, you get out of the grab. This means you have to buff grabs, and can intentionally give some of the characters on the roster chaingrabs, because you can just break the grab if they overuse it.
>No more stale moves, holy shit why is this still a thing
>Dash button. Pretty much does the same thing as a wavedash, but you can also use it in the air. Also, you can charge it like the boost from Kirby's Air Ride, which makes you go faster and farther.
>No more rage. Fuck that shit
>New "Revenge Smash" moves. These are slower Smash Attacks with startup invulnerability that you can only do if you're at 100% damage or more. They're also really flashy, and serve as a less powerful version of Final Smashes. Works as a replacement comeback mechanic instead of rage, and is fun for casuals to use, but also gives competitive players some sort of super move (Since tourneyfags always turn off items).

Make out of shield options weaker instead of shields themselves if you want more combos to start from hits rather then grabs. Its the fact that you get punished for being blocked that makes people play patiently, not the fact that the blocker doesn't get fucked over.

i'm not a tourneyfag yet i prefer melee gameplay
it's just that it feels faster
smash 4 felt floaty as fuck, it's not enjoyable

holy fuck ahahahahaha
>blocking
blocking
>blocking
blocking
>blocking
blocking
please tell me this is an epic meme and you don't seriously BLOCK in video games. I don't launch up man child fight 9 to fucking block ahahaha

But then the entire game revolves around grab confirms like smash 4 has already proven. This is what happens when the entire concept of shield pressure is gone from the game.

Imagine Street Fighter without highs and lows. That's pretty much what smash 4 is in babytalk.

Attached: competitive smash.png (750x893, 577K)

>>dope red-lightning effect when a KO is near guaranteed
God fuck no, smash 4's 20 billion particle effects and over done hitlag (freeze frames) are so fucking stupid. The gameplay is ok (even though I do prefer Melee) but its tacky presentation with that kind of stuff is my least favorite part about it.

Shield stun plays a bigger role than if the shields are strong or not.

This is what I would do for Sma5h

>Shields recharge slowly but you gain a bit of shield when power/perfect shielding.
>Rolling and spot dodging consume shield, each consecutive roll/spotdodge consumes more shield each time. (Of course spot dodge consumes less, since it's more risky)
>Air dodging consumes a considerable amount of shield
>you now have a "shield bar" next to your character's icon, so you can check it without wasting it.

Shield management should be an important aspect of the game, not something that can be spammed.

Shields are already a weak option since they don't stop grabs, which are even more powerful in smash than in SFIV and constitute 99.9% of approach tactics. However, guessing right on a shield and being able to punish every move in the game still sucks, and more powerful attacks should cause some amount of "blockstun". That way I don't get shit on for doing Bowsers fair. Make shields tankier but add blockstun, and make the grab-invincible portion of a dodge larger than the strikes invincible, so as to encourage shielding when one isn't sure what's coming.

>SFIV

Only in vanilla you comafag

I would fix them by not being a tryhard block fag who hates fun. there shouldn't be blocking in video games. no one wants to fucking block

Then give her a heavy shield. Easy fix.

Play a real fighting game

Would make sense. As a balloon it would absorb blows

just play a game with a regular guard system you dumb fags

you keep them exactly the same as in 4
except maybe slow down the recovery speed
shields arent good in 4 because the shields themselves are strong, theyre good because theres next to no safe pressure options because of the absurd amounts of landing lag most heavy damage attacks have
characters need to be rewarded for properly spaced pressure, not punished for approaching

you wanna fix anything it should be infinite airdodges, now THAT shit is busted

Good outcome.

"Best" essentially fucks any form of slow or defensive playstyle and makes fast rushdown characters the only ones worth playing.

i mean thats already the case
and has been in basically every smash game to date

just nerf grabs, any out of shield punishment involves grabs. Nerf the grab and playing defensively won't have a benefit anymore.

Attached: 6RYOTQq.jpg (2500x3226, 320K)

Is this why you lose at fighting games? I think Overwatch just might be a little bit more your style if you want something a little more easier and casual. Keyword: might.

Attached: 1491430574958.png (143x191, 59K)

Alright, hear me out. I think Smash's defensive measures need to be totally rethought. Here's how I'd balance them:

Shields have less strength, but not by much. Shields also godown differently based on certain circumstances: You instantly go out of shield if you haven't been hit, but if you have been while shielded, you have a small recovery animation. Also, you can now shield in the air, with air dodges having to be done like ground dodges, meaning you go to the ground faster while airdodging.

Finally, the big one, now shields are effected by knockback. Let's say a person does a smash attack on a character. It does normal knockback based on character stats and percentage. Now let's say a person does a smash attack on a shielded character. That characters only gets a third of the attack's base knockback, meaning regardless of player percentage, they will take the same knockback from the attack every time while shielded. I made a shitty diagram to explain.
This removes Sm4sh'd piss easy shield grabs since you can't go into a grab after blocking, but also encourages players to bait others into attacking a shield by letting you go out of a shield instantly into an offensive move. It also means that aerial defense is much less reliable since you trade air time for dodges, and you can still be knocked back in the air despite shielding.

Thoughts?

Attached: SHIELDS.png (1632x964, 26K)