Knowing what we know now, do you think you could fuck this up as bad as Sony did even if you tried?

Knowing what we know now, do you think you could fuck this up as bad as Sony did even if you tried?

Also PS Vita thread

Attached: 2a09f544-9d3a-49ce-8f46-5402e071e81d_1.59f6a8a56c497888566c01bfd0e73f66.jpg (450x450, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rAvERzJfVMM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just ordered mine a few weeks ago.
I can't wait to not use is.

Did you update to 3.65 yet or are you still on 3.60?

I love mine man. It's just bittersweet what could have been.
I've been on 3.67 since I got it sadly. I figure it should be cracked in about a year or so.

Yeah, fucking it up is pretty easy. What is harder is determining what exactly had to be done to save it. More games? MicroSD memory? HDMI output? What audience?

I might buy one one these things just for the remote play, but I heard there is some definite input lag no matter how good the connection, how well does it work for you?

I only have a ps3 but when I tried it on it, it wasn't that great. I don't know if it's better on ps4 regarding connection.

Well, the Wii U existed so yeah, definitely.
>I might buy one one these things just for the remote play
Don't, unless you have a REALLY good connection and as you said, there's still some light input lag most of the times, though I don't know how PC remoteplay works.
Buy it if you like the exclusives or the general library but do not buy it for the remote play of all things, there's a few really good exclusives for the system like Soul Sacrifice Delta, Oreshika 2 or the Muramasa expansion pack, but consider that well.

>what exactly had to be done to save it.
It's over m8, there's no saving it. Just learn to love it for what it is.

>fuck this up as bad as Sony did even if you tried?
The only thing that fucked up is OP's post. The only things Sony did wrong was the stupid memory card nonsense and walking away from supporting it after 2012. It had an amazing launch, an attach rate to make others jealous for ages, and managed to force Nintendo's hand on the price gouging they were engaging on the 3DS. That said, physical retailers unabashedly shit all over this thing. If you didn't order direct from publisher or have a small, independent shop to take care of you, then you were out of luck when it came to finding games.

Attached: 1520059955360.png (677x904, 1.07M)

Vita is the only decent hardware sony ever released. FUCK YOUR OPTICAL MEDIA OP.

I have shit ATT internet and remote play still seems to work well on my ps4, although the lack of R2/L2 and R3/L3 are pretty annoying. I haven't tried it on my PS3 but I heard it's not nearly as seamless and there is substantially more lag.

>The only things Sony did wrong was the stupid memory card nonsense and walking away from supporting it after 2012
And shit marketing. And removing standard apps like youtube that consumers expect. And the PS/Vita TV. And being price gouging Jews.

It was fine for playing Dark Souls. There definitely was some input lag but it wasn't so bad it made the game unplayable. Only tried over local wifi using moonlight and streaming from my PC. I wouldn't really try to play anything faster paced than DaS on this, probably.
Only real issue with this is the lack of triggers. R2/L2 are mapped to the back touch pad and is pretty much unusable without one of those clip on grips or R2/L2 grips.

Attached: dark souls running on vita.jpg (960x544, 107K)

>without one of those clip on grips or R2/L2 grips.
Do those things actually work pretty well?

It’s a nearly perfect machine, just needed more triple A game support, even if it was a port machine. Having a portable ps3 is pretty rad. Also R2 and L2

>I figure it should be cracked in about a year or so.
Alot of people still don‘t get it: there will be no enso for 3.67

If you get one like the dude in this video has, yeah: youtube.com/watch?v=rAvERzJfVMM

>portable ps3
It wasnt as powerful as the PS3 though. That said being a portable PS2 wouldve been good enough, seeing how well the PS2 sold.
They did have some 3rd party support but when COD blacklist just completely shits all over itself you know you have a problem. They shouldve done what microsoft did with the Xbox, support smaller studios with a fund for developing on the vita. For example, why didnt they get the guy from tearRing saga?

That is partially because Sony didn't want to keep paying Google for license keys on a device it didn't want to support.

PSTV was a botch job from the very start. They should have made a proper TV dock for the PSV if they really wanted to support big screen play.

Attached: 1519088912261.jpg (572x507, 178K)

Right so don't act like it was one or two small fuckups.

>buy one pizza get one free ad for dominos before the video
God dammit you bastard.

How many people actually cared about that? By the time support dropped smartphones became ubiquitous.

It all adds up. Death by a thousand cuts.

Also remember when the 32gb card was unironically $119.99 United States of American dollars and cents? Good times.

>It wasnt as powerful as the PS3 though
No but it's definitely between the PS3 and PS2. Honestly with the lower screen resolution and the small screen it can pull off the PS3 light look pretty well.

ninja gaiden sigma runs on 30 fps instead of 60. And that was a game that was upgraded from an xbox game, instead of being made from the ground up to push the hardware to its limits. And that 30 fps dips once you get to higher difficulties where the game spits out more particles. NGS2+ meanwhile also runs at 30 fps, the original was made for PS3 hardware and the Vita version chugs. I already feel that the PS3 hardware often was pushed too hard for many games because the gen was very long and they somehow had to still improve graphics. So porting games to the vita wouldve been hell. Let alone that the PS3 has a cell processor. And then you have shit like the jak series (PS2 games) still running like garbage on the vita.

>And removing standard apps like youtube that consumers expect
Youtube works perfectly fine on Vita to this day, it only lost the NicoNico video app and some other junk nobody used some time ago.
>it can pull off the PS3 light look pretty well.
It can't, look at some games like Malicious Rebirth who are basically running on low PS3 settings, they struggle to keep 25 FPS, the Vita is just more or less as capable as the OG Xbox when it comes to overall power, anything more than that and you'll have serious problems.
I like the Vita and everything but you're seriously overestimating the thing, even most of the PS2 HD ports have problems keeping a stable framerate, it might be strong hardware for 2011, but it's still that, 2011 handheld hardware.

I can't wait to hack it

>tfw hacked it but it'll take a month for my vita SD adapter to arrive

Attached: ninja gaiden 1.jpg (1280x720, 221K)

>And then you have shit like the jak series (PS2 games) still running like garbage on the vita.
I think that's more a function of Sony not giving two shits and the ports oftentimes being lazy as fuck. The God of War Collection seems to run fine and I can't imagine Jak is anymore taxing on the hardware if you actually bother to try.

>It can't
It often can though. Killzone Mercenary for instance looks great. No it doesn't look like a PS3 game all the time but it sure as shit doesn't look like PS2.

>It often can though
And then you name killzone, which was probably the game with the most effort put in to look pretty. That game is really a standout, not standard. Like you cant take the last of us or uncharted as the standard for PS3. They have many textures to make sure that the detail scales perfectly with how close you are to cover and uses geometry perfectly to make sure you dont see too much.

Okay well then look at Uncharted Golden Abyss: that's a launch title and it looks much better than PS2 tier. Gravity Rush too. Even MLB 2012 the Show looks great for what it is.

>No it doesn't look like a PS3 game all the time but it sure as shit doesn't look like PS2.
It also has a much smaller scale when it comes to maps on average though, and Killzone is one of the outliers like Wipeout or Uncharted, try to make something like FF12 run on the thing like it did on the PS2, you'd spend more than Killzone to make it run feasibly.
You want more examples? Look at twin releases for PS3 titles like Ukiyo no Shishi/Ukiyo no Roushi, Roushi looks like garbage compared to Shishi and they also needed to chop the open world into smaller sections because the game wouldn't run at all on that hardware.

>like Ukiyo no Shishi/Ukiyo no Roushi
I'm never played these so I can't speak on it but when you mention FF I honestly think the FFX|X-2 port looks much better on the Vita than the PS3. I get it has the smaller screen but still, suggesting the Vita is PS2 tier is unfair.

And again how much of these issues with porting can be explained by developers and Sony just simply being lazy, uncaring, faggots? I can't help but think that if it has sold 80 million units like the PSP you would have seen a lot more effort put into some of these ports.

>I honestly think the FFX|X-2 port looks much better
Jesus christ. You prefer that shit tier chinese sweatshop port over the original? The lighting is off, they CROPPED the movies and it doesnt run all that well.

>do you think you could fuck this up as bad as Sony did even if you tried?
No. Sony fucked up on purpose.
>tfw you bought over 50 games for this thing
Why, Sony? Why fuck over your platform and fanbase like this? Even the shit I pirated I ended up buying later. At least, mostly.

Nah m8, you misread: I prefer the Vita Port to the PS3 port. They're both fucked up but the Vita less egregiously so. The models on PS3 look especially terrible.

>Sony fucked up on purpose
The memory card prices honestly make me think this sometimes. Like somebody high up at Sony really really really wanted the executive who pushed the Vita to crash and burn and put the prices on the cards that high in order to make sure he did.

>I honestly think the FFX|X-2 port looks much better on the Vita than the PS3.
It runs worse, so outside of the lower resolution(which doesn't really matter on Vita), it's still the inferior version.
>And again how much of these issues with porting can be explained by developers and Sony just simply being lazy, uncaring, faggots?
Oh sure, there's some good ports like MVC3 or DoA5+ but there's also a lot of other stuff that couldn't have run on the Vita to begin with like NGS2 so they just gave up and went for the more economic way, which is understandable.
Not to mention that a lot of games where develop for the Vita to begin with and then released as multiplats, like Natural Doctrine, and we all know that games developed for the machine in the first place almost always perform better than ports, it's a universal truth.

It's mostly the quality of the ports. Like the Sly collection plays just fine on vita but Jak plays like shit

>It runs worse, so outside of the lower resolution(which doesn't really matter on Vita), it's still the inferior version.
The models and animations don't look quite so fucked. Maybe it's my imagination or it's aided by the smaller screen but when I remember playing it I remember wanting to vomit far less often than the PS3 port.

I just got a vita +16 gb card + sack ops for 65.

remote play across the pond had about a quarter of a second lag, making bb unplayable.

>Like the Sly collection plays just fine on vita
How are these as games? I picked up Thieves in Time when I purchased the Vita and I liked it quite a bit. It was the only Sly game I ever played and I was pleasantly surprised.

1 > 3 > 2. If you liked 4, you'll probably like the rest of the series.

1 is a pretty straightworward platformer. 2 and onwards went for more mission based gameplay in a big hub level. All are pretty decent but I've only played 1 and 2

Why the fuck are there so many people defending the VITA of all things? Even Nintentoddlers admit that all the consoles since the Wii have been failures, but you have to keep supporting your shitty weebstation. I'm glad I'm not a console peasant holy shit

Memory with non-retarded prices would've helped just like not dropping support because it didn't kill Nintendo.
Fucking House

The Vita is awesome. No one defends Sony's handling of it.

Why is it so uncomfortable? God those buttons and sticks suck so much.

Attached: 1467168312025.jpg (500x375, 20K)

It's just a huge amalgamation of factors, the biggest of which was the insane costs for memory, due to fear of piracy, rightfully so after the psp, but still, it hurt the system irreparably. No one wanted to make games for a system that you could only afford to make games smaller than like 4gb for. Anything bigger and it had to have a memcard and no one had a memcard bigger than like 8gb.

Yeah I figured by reading the whole thread.

Nigga the fuck you on about? The Vita face buttons are incredible. It's easily the best non-nintendo D-pad ever made.

It was an underpowered handheld/console hybrid that ran console ports very poorly. Things like that are only OK when Nintendo does them.

Imagine being in that meeting where some ancient old Jap said: "we will sell the 32gb card for $120" with all the submissive cucks that are the rest of them just nodding in agreement.

>underpowered
Compared to fucking what?

Yup. I think if they were priced in line with microsds of the time, there wouldn't ahve been any complaints about the memory, besides "wahhh why can't I use an sd card" which would have been valid but largely benign.
Instead we got these ridiculously priced abominations that have ludicrously high failure rates with the higher storage capacities. 64gb never came out stateside because of all the fucking failures the 64gb has.

because it is a great system that couldve been a lot more. The hardware was decent, it had actual analog sticks and it mightve been the PSP 2.0. Stuff like no locale limitations are sweet bonuses that other consoles could use.

Attached: 1519414758747.png (1431x863, 1.81M)

>Fucking House
To be fair, the higher ups at Sony JP as just as guilty due to letting House sink the thing undisturbed.
Too bad for them I guess, because I'm not going to buy a PS4 either given how they're handling it too, if they want me to care about their own home consoles more than my PC they should at the very least give me some significant amount of actual exclusives.
Pretty much the only thing more powerful than a Vita at the time was the latest I-Phone, and the original Shield, which came after the Vita and bombed even harder.

I also find it amusing that it looks very much like a micro sd card, as if the intentionally emphasize the fact that you're being Jewed for absolutely no reason than pure greed.

>prototype vita had hmdi out and normal sd cards
"oy vey let's make the vita tv instead and our own memory cards!"

>Kaz Hirai designed Vita as his baby
>he got promoted to CEO so he told SCE to take care of it
>their CEO got made into an american/european guy who never liked handhelds
>halfass support and gave up on it early on while japan kept trying hard to do their best to support it
>it fails

What a shock and surprise.

the bundles I saw all came with an 8gb memory stick. So I guess most people went for that. I felt cheated when I got the killzone bundle and when I opened the box it only contained a code for killzone to DL on the store. Yeah, lets give me 8 gb of memory and then instantly hog 3gb of it. They have this PS+ program which couldve made a lot of PS3 subscribers consider the vita (since they already had a bunch of games saved up via the + subscription) but with those memory prices you would have to constantly juggle with the cloud.

I think they figured the 8gb wouldve been enough for most users and they could scalp the power users. Also they probably thought that since they could make back money on memory cards they could lower the price of the machine and then make money back on memory.

>and let's make it work with only half the games so people have to rely on hackers to make it semi-functional

I'm with this user. The dpad cramps my t thumb after a while and the face buttons don't feel as good as the 3ds

It's the Gameboy vs. Sega Gamegear scenario all over again. Gameboy was much cheaper and had Nintendo's stellar first part support. Gamegear, while superior spec-wise, was much more expensive and almost no library support.

Not to mention the rise of smartphones. They've gobbled up most of the casual portable game market. I don't think anyone other than nintendo could release another successful portable.

I actually think the HDMI port couldve helped them more than they anticipated. It wouldve made capturing the screen of the vita piss easy, people then upload more gameplay on youtube and twitch. Which works insanely well for advertisement. Now you only have a few weebs who aim their phone cam on the screen (hello 2004) to record gameplay. Nobody wants to see that. Webm threads have made me play a lot of games I wouldve otherwise not consider. But good luck with that with vita stuff.

meanwhile screenshots were easy with the two button combo, but then they fucked it up again by making the quality lower to fit more on their shit memory

Attached: 1511161226643.png (809x501, 417K)

Worst of all, they could have simply released the actual HDMI out cable and program to customers(Since it has been shown the damn thing exists and is actually functional in various NicoNico promotional streams) instead of doing something half assed as the Vita TV, and yet they didn't, the madmen.

I couldn't believe they tried to sell the more expensive version that could do 3g through Verizon at launch. It involved you purchasing a data plan and all you got were speeds that any 4G smartphone network would shit on. Did they really think anyone would care? Core gamers don't give a shit about a 3G connection and normie would just take care of all data-based needs with their phones. All they did was make the purchasing decision more bothersome for non-discerning consumers and probably lost sales.

I play all my PS4 games through either PC or PSVita remote play. My PS4 isn't even plugged into any screen right now, it just sits in my living room.

PSVita remote play is a bit annoying at times if the connection is finicky with the wifi, but PC remote play is perfect. There are some light artifacts due to bitrate, especially in very noisy games (visual-wise), but in general it's top tier. Much better than Steam streaming for instance. Input latency on the PC is almost non-existent, I've played shooters (like destiny) and in pvp I was doing just fine. Although I'm shit at FPS with a controller.

Attached: 7ef.jpg (600x600, 29K)

>I don't think anyone other than nintendo could release another successful portable
They almost didn't either, though one could argue only Nintendo would've had the emergency "slash the price, give the early adopters free games, then push out three system sellers a few months after." Nintendo knew where their bread and butter was going to be this/last gen. Though that's where it's been the last several gens. Even with the Wii the DS was still selling ludicrous amounts.

anybody want a old psvita? I don't use mine anymore since I have a pstv. If you are willing to pay for shipping you can have it.
Just leave an email and I will contact you

But could Nintendo do it again? For lack of a better word, kids under 6 get "groomed" with popular brands. Do kids under 6 play console or portable games? They're all about tablets and smart phones. When these kids become the prime demographic, are they going to have any interest in real video games at all? If game company suits aren't worried, they should be.

....Or maybe not. Freemium mobile garbage makes just as much money.

>he bought a vita

I can't believe people fell into that trap. I'll never not be mad

Attached: 1521308759985.png (644x688, 16K)

I would have bought a vita.
While there aren't any good games for it and it is full of weeb shit, I have been getting 2 "free" vita games a month from PS+
The only thing that has stopped me is the jewish sony only sd cards.

PSP had some great games for it, i loved my PSP

Sony only didn't make GAMES for this GAMES console, or make memory reasonably available to download GAMES. Genius. Were you dropped on your head as a kid? As much as I love my vita, pushing FPS games of all things was beyond retarded on a handheld. They made blops, resistance and killzone flagship games for the system that noone wanted them on. I know, because I bought all three and can confirm they all suck.

They still have brand power and ninty games still have reputation of being good all around.

Even then, Pokemon works as I win button every damn time. They aren't going anywhere

I use my vita more than my phone around the house. since I got a ps4 pro it's pretty nifty being able to stream 1080p60. There's some okay vita games, but it's mostly dungeon crawlers, not even good jrpgs, or action games despite the airtight controls.Muramasa is about it.

I'm not a normalfag, I'm pretty satisfied with my Vita.

Attached: 2017-11-19-043359.jpg (960x544, 101K)

I got it as a gift and brought the pstv for $10 when they were trying to sell the stock. Just use it as a emulator with henkaku

>bought vita for exclusively vanillaware games because I don't have access to my PS3
>buy a memory card and hack it
>haven't touched the fucking thing in like a year if not longer

Attached: 1468534506635.jpg (320x200, 8K)

>memory card stopping piracy
Memory cards didn't do shit. Encryption did. Sony likes to make proprietary shit to sell to people. It was not an anti-piracy method.

When is the new vanillaware game going to come out? or at least a demo that shows some gameplay

The memory cards stopped piracy for an exceptionally long period of time because it was impossible to store games on the system, you had to ftp games over to it. That was like 30% of them deciding against releasing henkaku after the psp exploits were found. Or do you just not go on wololo at all?

Funny, it was the exact opposite for me, once I got a Vita I sold my PS3 because all of the games I wanted were also on Vita or PC.

kelin0klein(at)gmail.com

Beats me. I'm just hoping to god that it's not canned.

>The memory cards stopped piracy for an exceptionally long period of time because it was impossible to store games on the system
What?
>You had to ftp games over to it
You couldn't run any game that wasn't purchased on your account due to what? Encryption.
>That was like 30% of them deciding against releasing henkaku after the psp exploits were found
What?

I'm still mad they didn't follow through with crossplay games.
MLB the show 12 was like the only title I can think of that had it, it was fucking fantastic.
Turn on the vita, and it immediately picks up from the ps3. IMMEDIATELY. 0 delay. Fucking fantastic.

Switch is about the best thing for it nowadays.

This is like saying people won't have any interest in hollywood blockbusters because they grow up spending their time watching shitty skits or pranks on youtube. I'm sure someone will pull up some article about those not selling as well this past season, but we've had periods like that too. Even if the hollywood model is on the outs anyway, the growth of Netflix services and their series still shows there's still a huge market for "traditional" video that youtube doesn't satisfy. There's still an appeal to traditional games no freemium mobile game will hit. The market in general has also expanded from even the PS2 days, so even if a ton of kids only play mobile shit, there's still more people than ever to buy traditional consoles.

You can also look at the Switch for how Nintendo can address these concerns. Nintendo is unlikely to release a straight up 3DS successor as long as the Switch is around. They'll find a way to make it cheaper, and have secured the premium portable gaming market. They can also release their more traditional handheld like titles on it, though there's something to be said for how synonymous the DS was with casual handheld games for consumer that the Switch won't really evoke. People shitpost about keeping the same IPs, but when it works it really works. Nintendo hype gets real no because there's some dedicate Nintendofag base, though there is, but because they've kept IPs healthy for so long and with such high highs that most everyone knows the characters. It's word of mouth generating wet dream for suits. Even people who will never buy a Nintendo game know who these characters and games are and are likely to talk about them to other people. That's a real bonus to whatever console market you try to chase.

It's not, you people keep on forgetting that Vanillaware is made of basically four people who live on cheap instant noodle and make games drawn entirely by hand, give them time ffs.

they had it for a couple of games but I figure it was a lot of effort and sony dropped the vita soon after. I guess devs didnt feel like it was a selling point and sony didnt pay them to do it anyway

Non-proprietary memory is the big reason. People don't want to buy a Vita just to pay 50% of the cost of the system for a decent sized proprietary memory card.
A few exclusive big games such as another GTA stories would have helped too. HDMI output is a good idea too.

Curiously you'll still see a lot of games released in Japan for the Vita where it didn't flop.

What they could have done is give it a TV output and give it microSD. The 3G version was a waste of time. They also needed some good first party titles on it that were not hurr dur brown shooter but something that played to it's strengths like say Crash Bandicoot Racing with multiplayer.

>A few exclusive big games such as another GTA stories
Yeah, tell that to Rockstar.

For what was this port?

Attached: IMG_20180319_002858.jpg (2400x3200, 2.02M)

HDMI out

Accessory connection port, what was supposed to be the proprietary video out after hdmi out was scrapped, like the psp 2000 had. There's a few things floating around that utilize it. Including a tv out package, that I bought.

>$200 LCD model from the beginning
>regular memory cards instead of insanely expensive proprietary memory
>Monster Hunter

This is all it needed to be a huge success.