"Gameplay" is overated

Story and music is what matters in videogames.VNs are the future.

Attached: 1518122821039.jpg (1017x613, 298K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vndb.org/v97
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>VNs are the future
>OP pic is from an adventure game
What did he mean by this?

Attached: wakana-think(c).gif (256x192, 104K)

>X is the future

Attached: 2b593545-acd1-46f3-89e3-f218f33e0d14.gif (500x268, 1.9M)

I genuinely agree with you. People underestimate how much music and atmosphere actually matters. Story is also really important.

This is also why I don't read any manga and prefer anime. A medium without music to set the tone just can't compete with one that HAS music.

Deus ex Human revolution would be nowhere without its music. Same with 999 and the original Nier.

VNs are fucking boring, the only one I liked was Starless because the bitches were hot and gave me a boner. Lots of scat shit though but everything else was good so I'm not picky.

That's because you haven't found the right ones or not the one that is your cup of tea. It's like thinking all music sucks when you only hear pop and rap shit. Or thinking sports suck because you only saw handegg and blacksgetball.

If you actually find a VN you truly like you'll be immediately hooked to the medium.

For me personally it went so far that I actually fucking learned Japanese so that I could read visual novels exclusive to Japan. I also feel that it's natural as you grow older and get to your mid-twenties that you slowly gravitate towards more story driven experiences which will usually end somewhere in VN territory.

I used to have shit opinions like this thought played story driven shit like Persona, TLOU and 999.

Sup Forums told me these were movies/vns or whatever so I thought maybe I'll try a real one played Steins Gate/Chaos Child/Clannad etc for a couple hours got bored as shit everytime realized despite Sup Forums telling I'm a faggot for enjoying a good story in games I actually do enjoy the gameplay portions of those to games.

Attached: 1518977428968.jpg (433x550, 38K)

Thinking about it now I can usually only really enjoy single player games knowing I'll be rewarded with some more story for completing a certain section, but vns completely remove that so that's why I hate them.

Attached: 1520724963191.jpg (507x440, 54K)

You don’t really think this do you? If anything, walking simulators seem to be getting pretty popular. VNs have a very niche audience: people who want to read poorly-written dialogue and look at blinking anime portraits.

I get you. Usually I only like the gameplay if I get rewarded with a story section as well.

I still think /vn/ are better than this unless they are filled with inane filler and "slice of life" bullshit that screw up the pacing.

"Steins Gate/Chaos Child/Clannad" all fit those dumb bullshit stories that drag on way too long and have fucked up pacing.

NOT ALL VN'S ARE LIKE THAT.

Visual novels like vndb.org/v97 are literally 3-4 hours long and doesn't have a lot of bullshit filler. I feel like you would enjoy that a lot more considering you like stories like 999 that have very good pacing and are tension filled.

Steins;gate/Chaos;Child and Clannad all belong to the same "waifu visual novel" (which is 90% of them) in which you become a guy in a scenario with romance options and that is the focus throughout the entire experience. Not all VNs are like that and those are usually of subpar quality.

>Deus ex Human revolution would be nowhere without its music
What the fuck are you talking about. The main focus of Deus ex is the gameplay first and foremost especially in regards to choice of gameplay style.
While the music in the game if fantastic it only helps to underline the tone, the real deal is the art. Even if it were to have generic music the art design would make it up anyway.

If you take the game out of video games, you just have videos.

Then why don't you just read a fucking book ? Those are written by people that know how to good story writing because let's face it: most of the people in gamedev don't know shit about good writing.

/thread

I also read books but I feel like it's a different experience to visual novels. I feel like a visual novel is still a game due to the interactivity aspect of you choosing what happens within it that is lacking in most books (except choose your own adventure classics).

Also music/art/pacing/presentation are all big parts of visual novels as well which is lacking within books. To me the experience is just entirely different.

What's the point of VN when I can just watch an anime or read a manga?

Attached: Blacked.png (300x347, 167K)

>game play doesn't matter
t.PSnigger

If I want to know a story of a game with shir gameplay I can watch all the cutscenes for free

>music
As with most medium it's just there to help build a mood.
>art
How exactly do a couple static anime characters help ?
>pacing
Best I can think of is that it reduces the amount of descriptions that usually exist in the books since you can see characters. Else most should stay the same

Classifying a VN as a game is a bit too much I'd say as it lacks the aspect of challenge that usually exists in a game.

Personally I'd say books are better since there authors spend much more time with the details. Because a VN heavily focuses on dialog and less on descriptions/thoughts of a protagonist it cannot build a world as good as a book. And leaving things up to ones imagination really helps a lot.

Nigger, I'm 32. Don't talk about "as you grow older" to me ever again, you little shit.

Different user here you don't even need to go as far as proper books I would recommend a Manga over a VN even and think the voice acting and static images actually work as a detriment to the story.

If the game looked like ass event for the time and the only music of the game was a 5 sec awful loop would it be the same for you?

OP you are a massive faggot. VNs are weeaboo trash and nothing more. Seriously kys.

If one of the aspects is unbearable then yes, I wouldn't play it (although things like Minecraft and pixeljank are quite successful).
If it were generic and not worth mentioning then I'd still play the game if it were to offer some great gameplay mechanics, because after all that's what games are about.

Not all VNs are anime dumbfuck.

You get to pick what bitch the cuck ends up with, instead of having the obvious choice since chapter 1 play out for it's entirety anyways.

VN's offer a couple of things. It puts a face on a character allowing you to fully picture a character or setting the way the author intended. They also allow alternate routes to a story, something that books and manga can't.

That being said, most of the time they are shit. I don't think most of them utilize their capabilities well. Alternate routes usually end up being limited and stuck to the "choose a path / girl". It doesn't help that most of the time they have a low budget which severely limits how much art/writing they can put in a story.

If the author can't describe a character well enough he already has failed.

For me it's extremely hard to get into a new book because I don't have a clear picture of the setting and characters from the start while VNs show you those initially and you can just catch on from then on.

I'm one of those people that when starting a book reads the page but loses focus and starts to think about something else halfway and after a while you notice that you missed most of what you read. VNs don't have this problem by being more immediately engaging.

How do you even read a book then ?
How the fuck does that even work ?
Are you saying that you're mentally challenged ?

>Being this retarded

VNs are too long and bloated to be well-directed. Walking sims are the true future.

Your opinion is shit and Danganronpa's gameplay elements especially in regards to the first game in the iteration are far better than its narrative. It's not even a VN.

>its relationship fantasy fulfillment

literally cuck pleb media

VNs are superior but not because of the story but the atmosphere. Games can provide that, too, but they statistically are worse at this since they focus on the gameplay.

You are correct, but everyone interprets things differently. Stuff like facial expressions will be conveyed with the exact intent of the author. But most of the time it is pretty limited, unlike your imagination. Timing and voice acting are also parts of VN's that can not be replicated by written books.

sounds like ADHD I find myself having to reread pages sometimes cause I let my mind wander. It happens in VN's for me as well.

>atmosphere
Are you fucking kidding me ?
If anything games can improve atmosphere through interaction affecting the world around one helping oneself to be even more immersed in a world.

Why is Monokuma pretending to be Zero?

DanganRonpa was originally written to be a lighthearted and unserious version of 999. They would complement each other and make references to each other.

However this was scrapped when it turned out 999 wasn't a success while Dangan Ronpa was insanely successful. But you can still see references and jabs in the first danganronpa.

Vns are the lowest form of VideoGame, if they can be called VideoGame.
Game play is non existent and story is Japanese light novel tier Aka shit

Gameplay > Music > Graphics > Story

>Story is what matters
>posts danganronpa

Attached: 1491054754308.jpg (957x718, 53K)

I used to think this, but now, the gameplay in a game has become so important for me. I feel like ditching this part in a game results in a at best good game, only for the people who like the genre. Gameplay is very important in most video games anyway, and developers should work toward a fun, intuitive and satisfying game play in every single game (imo)

>It is an other episode of GAMEplay doesn't matter in a GAME
Point & clicks are the only acceptable way to tell a story with minimal gameplay.

Attached: 1521311124260.jpg (701x728, 37K)

All of those components are equally as important as each other.

>Music important as the others
A bad track needs to be real bad to have a negative impact, a mediocre track is never a problem

No. Take for example any arcade game ever. Do those games become worse because they don't have a story worth mentioning ?
Or is pong bad because it has limited art and sound ?

This user gets it.

VNs are cringe weeaboo shit with terrible writing that fags who never read actual good literature praise as being more than the low tier entertainment they are.

Well the "future" sounds fuckin lame my man

Attached: beb.png (373x498, 412K)