I've seen a ton of posts about this but nothing conclusive...

I've seen a ton of posts about this but nothing conclusive, so I'll ask it again to see if we can find something conclusive.
When and how did video games stop becoming a niche and consequently die?

Attached: 1388411192420.jpg (589x420, 58K)

>see if we can find something conclusive
>refusing to do any amount of research short of polling the shitpostingest board on the site for autists

Yes, I want a discussion about video games on a video game board to gain consensus.

PS2 was the beginning of it with GTA 3

So you didn't want something conclusive, you wanted opinions.

Final Fantasy 7

/thread

You won't find anything conclusive because everyone has their own views of a tipping point, and as time marches on peoples nostalgia goggles just get thicker and thicker.

Something as large as this has many variables so opinions do matter in the overall picture.

It's one or the other. Opinions or facts.

You're missing the point. There are many facts and opinions can lead to new questions, answers, or insight. Stop being a faggot.

all facts start as opinion until proven otherwise

>You're missing the point
I understand the point just fine, you're asking for two different things. Also, you're not contributing anything to the discussion you're trying to create. And video games aren't dead, they're more alive than they ever were.

Yeah, stuff like the NES or the Atari 2600 was niche as shit, not at all aimed at a wide audience of children, they were engineered for free and sold without markup to an elite audience of potential vidya experts.

what the fuck are you underaged retards talking about, video games have never been niche

I'm just interested in the discussion it breeds. Could care less about participating. More of a reader than a poster.

Video games have been mainstream since the fucking 70s this stupid myth that they were only for nerds until recently needs to die.

Then why did I grow up being made fun of for liking video games by 99% of all people.

If video games are dead why is the Switch so great?

I'd say you probably have other issues that made you a target.

Because it got a reaction out of you so they kept doing it.

Probably because people wanted to make fun of you and you showed that you were over sensitive to video game related bullying.

For sure, but other people who were seemingly normal got made fun of it for it too.
Nah, I never showed my emotions and let things bother me. Why would I be offended by words? Seems silly. You're only offended if you choose to be.

If you didn't show anything they wouldn't be making fun of you so you're either lying about being made fun of or lying about not showing anything.

This is way too big a topic to just narrow it down to one time period assuming you actually believe video games died
If you had to have a starting point, maybe sometime after internet became very widespread and accessible.
More audiences to easily reach out to, more ways to make money, casualization being more profitable for short term gain rather than making things that'd only appeal to small niche audiences.
I'm tempted to say that there were many niche games around late PS1/PS2 time that you don't see now. It's easier to hear about games now compared to say, years ago when you had to rely on word of mouth, magazines and demo discs.

I never talked to anyone and didn't have many friends. Guess they saw me as the lowest thing on the totem pole with no one to side with me. But you're just displaying the just-world hypothesis like everyone else does.

>I want a discussion about video games
You've picked the worst possible place.

They obviously spotted you're a sperg. Chances are they were giving you shit about 100 different things but it all went over your head.

Video games became extremely popular for kids starting in the late 80s and only got more popular from there. By the mid 2000s those kids had grown up and still liked video games from their childhood. It was only niche in the first place because it was an emerging market that had to find new fans.

Look, some people don't deserve the cards they're dealt. Some do. That's the way the world is. If it was my fault, well, then it was. But you can't assume that. You don't know me. Again, it's that just-world hypothesis I mentioned earlier.

The fact you can't stop responding just adds more evidence to my whole 'you're a sperg' hypothesis. You didn't get bullied because you liked video games, you got bullied because it's easy to get a response from you.

You're right, trying to reason with you is pointless. Have a nice night.

Other way around buckaroo you're the one who can't accept that you were mocked for being a sperg not because of video games.