What happened to designing unique, stylistic and thematically fitting UIs in AAA games...

What happened to designing unique, stylistic and thematically fitting UIs in AAA games? Why the soulless office software tier UIs?

Attached: cancer.jpg (1366x768, 290K)

I don't see anything wrong with the UI here.

>kratos
>armor other than the golden counterattack veal thing
fuck this shit

The answer is Destiny. For whatever reason the UI design of it gave devs a super boner.

Looks like a Skyrim skin over the Destiny UI.

Aka it's shit.

literally looks exactly like the fucking Shadow of War ui

what the fuck

Do you seriously not fucking know what the golden fleece is.

Other than being ripped out straight from the Middle-Earth games?

"Minimalism" has allowed any hack to become a designer. Couple that with an audience that really doesn't appreciate anything more complex then boxes and you get GoWs new UI.

UX/UI design courses have literally been removed from the vast majority of graphic design and computer science schools because a ton of programmers memed their alma mater into believing that anyone can do that shit and it's a pointless field of study.

Replace Kratos in this screenshot and this could be literally any AAA game in the past few years.

>craft
When will this cancer end?

they think it looks clean and modern when in reality it just looks bland and crap

UI "designers" are some of the worst people you will ever meet

This. Also, it's easier to copy something people are used to(like Skyrim/Destiny) than to design your own UI.

>Skyrim UI
>Stats on Kratos
>Armor on Kratos
>Cooldown on Kratos

Into the motherfucking trash it goes straight away where it fucking belongs and it also stays there for all eternery my dear famalams. I wish I never lived to see this day.

Developers track everything you do in their games, this is why they need "always online". They record pretty much everything you do.

This builds a large databse of how people play so they can streamline future games, if this UI is being used as much as people say it's because the majority of potatoes seem to prefer it according to their tracking information.

Stop being a crying bitch, minimalistic UIs look great, clean, they're not intrusive and won't age.

Quick!
Post amazing GUI in games

Attached: IMG_9962.jpg (2048x1152, 283K)

Modern interface designers are all a bunch of shitheads.

Same shit is happening to the internet and windows.

Attached: fuck this shit.png (2302x758, 74K)

Wrong.

They track what you do in game, not what you fucking look at in game. The reason they go with this minimalistic shit is because it's
>easy
>simple
>enough for people who don't appreciate artistic design
>worked in Skyrim

The last one is basically all the matters though. If successful games, AAA titles did it and it worked, there is no reason not to copy it. Just like they copied the gameplay of slower paced AAA titles with the over-the shoulder camera with very small FOV and 'cinematic experiences'.

I used to think I preferred "clean UIs" but I was wrong. Sorry gang.

I hate the axe, it looks boring as shit compared to the chain blades. Are we getting chain blades in this game?

I kinda like minimalistic UIs (they looked fantastic in both SM Odyssey and BotW) but this one looks like fucking shit, you can tell the designers have no talento whatsoever and just copy-pasted from other game.

Thats horrible

Yeah I don't mind that.

Chain blades were leaked by ESRB

the web is built for phones and tablets first.

It's like every shallow AAA release had this same shitty UI, sick of it

Smartphones and tablets, son.

minimalist design is the trend

Even office 2007 has better style than that

Attached: office2007-document.jpg (1280x774, 168K)

Why are you guys saying this is bad UI?

Just because Skyrim, the entire Assassin's Creed franchise, the entire Far Cry franchise, the new Shadow of Mordor games, The Last of Us, and a few more AAA titles in the past years (probably only around 20-25 games anyway) have used the very same UI design?
Those games are all successful, doesn't that mean it's good UI design?

You know, you can still make a stylistic UI while going minimalistic. Those two are not mutually exclusive.

The ironic thing is that these are supposed to be minimal but they are a fucking mess of design.

Textured menus? What are you, crazy? You're getting a stock glassy theme and you'll like it.

It's not even glassy ffs

Attached: 1521313611637.jpg (1200x675, 152K)

Only if you preorder the Gold edition

The dumbing down of design

Attached: its getting worse.jpg (800x428, 52K)

i mean yeah it lacks style but it looks functional. i would prefer that over the shitty mobile UIs that everything has now

I swear, these are stock symbols taken from some repository. Not something devs actually drew.

Attached: Untitled.png (42x268, 19K)

Where did these retarded idea come from that we should stop having distinct buttons?

you're part of the problem

Literally goes from worse to better if you read it left to right.
>LOL GLOSS LMAO SHINY!

>minimalistic shit
It's overcomplicated dude
Something like Dragon's Dogma is simple not this

good taste

Attached: aoe 2 hud.jpg (1440x900, 300K)

imagine if modern ui would be here instead, it'd be that much less immersive

Attached: stalker ui.jpg (1280x1024, 201K)

Attached: bestinterface.jpg (600x450, 65K)

>Everything is a half-transparent grey rectangle
Who do we blame for this?

skyrim and modern military shooters

>less details, less depth and gaudy colors is better

Attached: 0385-02_ios_skeuomorphic_vs_flat.jpg (550x501, 55K)

Right is objectively the best

The first version of new ios wasn't the best but material design is top notch.

No.

>doesn't that mean it's good UI design?
Its cheap and fast ui design....

the CHAD font

Attached: d2+-+getting+the+scroll+wheel+to+work+in+game+4++(fix+by+theGTAMblog)+-gtam+[1].jpg (874x743, 159K)

I wouldn't even mind it in the likes of cowadoody, it's not completely out of place there. But when things like Assassin's Creed, For Honor and now GoW pull that shit, it clashes with the rest of the game so hard.

material desing dont fit into videogames, like Battlefield 1 did, its fucking horrible

reminds me of SkyUI

It looks like nothing, it's a placeholder, yet it's not minimalistic enough to justify not being fully ornamented. Why do they have norse design elements combined with modern, futuristic computer design themes? What part of the games setting justifies this? The UI elements have almost zero artistic skill put into them (crude, simplistic, utilitarian icons etc), yet they cover half the screen. All the 3d models in that picture have lots of work and effort put into making them look as good as possible, why does that not extend to the user interface?

Attached: runsetone[1].jpg (357x500, 137K)

You may not like it, but this is what peak GUI looks like

Post the worst offenders of this UI non-design.

Attached: serveimage?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.macgamestore.com%2Fimages_screenshots%2Fendless-legend-founder-edit (1680x945, 290K)

Witcher 1 had pure UI kino.

Attached: 78EF1B1C2BCBF900C1C512A484BB2953A23F06C5[1].jpg (1920x1080, 441K)

If there's one huge nitpick that I do have for Breath of the Wild, it would be this. The title screen and inventory system felt so dead and lifeless compared to every other game that it's damning. Hate that GUI.

I think he said that to be funny.
Personally I don't like Kratos with non-Greek inspired equipment.

there is something dreamy yet simple and paper-like children book vibe about this design

Attached: nier-automata-menu.jpg (1920x1080, 205K)

Is this the Web 2.0 of UI design?

Thematically it makes sense with the game and that's what good UI's should do as well as be functional.
Want to know a bad one, anyone remember Dragon Age Inquisition?

pretty sure this is just web 2.0 period

>it's a Sup Forums complains about a non-issue as if it's a gamebreaking disaster episode
a thread died for this

hmmm

Attached: xcom2.jpg (1920x1080, 244K)

it's weird how even without seeing what game this was from before i read the filename you just know it's designed by japanese devs. They always seem to have everything lowercase, with wide character spacing, and full stops at the end of everything. MGSV has the same kind of thing.

>my glazed-over bovine mind doesn't care about anything so you shouldn't either

looks like ubishit or something.

No one has implied it's a gamebraking disaster.

>it's im gonna be a contrarian faggot by grossly oversimplifying the argument episode
this is one of the best threads on Sup Forums you fucking faggot, please go back to your shitposting and waifubait threads

>No UI where blood fills up or red text
Soy of War

When I was playing the game the menu actually reminded me a lot of MGS3 specifically.

System Shock UI is top tier, both incredibly immersive and practical at the same time.

Attached: nC9nO[1].png (800x600, 56K)

Looks like For Honor.

A lot of people get lost in menus and while navigating. Finding the most optimal way to convey information is resulting in increasingly minimalist styles. Nothing but the info you need, and the info conveyed as simple and short in text as possible. Use icons for everything for association. Maintain a single color scheme.
Everything designed as to prevent as much as possible the overload of the senses because a great majority of people gets confused easily. The fact that big developers are using it is because someone made very convincing metrics about it.

The game is about Kratos meeting up with Norse gods btw

It's likely the thread that died had less to do with video game design than this, it was probably a Sans Smash thread or something.

yeah no shit I wasn't asking why they had norse elements in the UI, it's the other shit I'm talking about

Mobile first

"""""Simple"""""

All that "empty" space is covered with ads you know?

Just anothe rootless thing to nitpick about. Keep them coming, haters. I need the salt.

All of PC games made with mouse in mind.

i keked

As long as it's usable and functional, the UI is the least important part of the game

at least this one works for futuristic visuals
do i wrote it correctly?

Pic related has a fucking terrible UI, especially the menu system, good lord is it bad.

Attached: SAOFB-Win64-Shipping_2018_03_01_20_33_03_621.jpg (3200x1800, 2.86M)

Minimalism and art aren't opposed. You could have replaced all the borders with slightly uneven, handcraftedly inprecise braid patterns with appearance that hints at real materials, replaced all the mathematically perfect gradient backgrounds with black-painted wood and made the icons look like they were made by hand, and at the very least actually have used a real rune for the "runic" stat. This is just lazy.

Attached: taikan2[1].jpg (567x383, 28K)

This is the worst opinion I've ever heard

Attached: d2ui.jpg (800x600, 444K)

Right is missing buttons you brainlet fuck

and here we go

Attached: dead space.jpg (1024x578, 85K)

Someone post Persona 5’s menus.

Attached: deusex-2008-01-25-04-29-06-50.png (1280x1024, 370K)

Monster Hunter World did this too, feels bad.