I never played this series but I heard it's praised pretty much everywhere

I never played this series but I heard it's praised pretty much everywhere.
So can you give me a quick rundown on if I must play the 1 and 2, and the overall pitch of the games?
It has aged well or not?

Attached: 220px-EarthBound_Box.jpg (220x161, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

classicreload.com/prince-of-persia.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-NLjoBzd6gQ
youtube.com/watch?v=s9q736S2NAI&t=19s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I love them but I dont know how to sell them. Its about the themes the music the story that is not only told indirectly but that you have to dig to actually find and make sense of the whimsical characters the peanuts esque feel mixed with harsh realities of human beings while not being preachy or even hinting what you should think or take away, its a series that gets better the more you invest in it so it makes sense the fanbase would get a bad rap
1 could be hard if you didnt grow up in the late 80s, lots of encounters but its extremely important for the story and lore to play it but at the same time I cant fault some 20 yo saying wow this game sucks.

It has aged if you dont like turn based combat.

> heard that it's praised
what did he mean by this?

... That he's heard that the series is well praised? Is this one of those (you) bait comments the kids like so much these days?

Don't play the first game (Mother) for NES. It's old and shows its age.

Earthbound (Mother 2) is good and Mother 3 is good.

It's not that good. Play pic related instead.

Attached: tumblr_static_3849-21.png (640x360, 117K)

I second this. I couldn't enjoy EB at all, but I loved UT.

>I heard that people say that this game is good
it's redundant

This game was literally my first spiritual awaking as a child. Take that as you will.

I was also thinking about giving this a try but i'm too much of a brainlet for emulation so i'll probably never play it.

WTF dude. I mean, you don't miss out on anything by not playing earthbound, but there are tons of good games on old systems, definitely worth looking into it, it's not hard.

O.o tis simple
Download emulator
Download rom
Unzip rom
Play game

It's one of my favorite games of all time, and I don't say this for nostalgia since I finished it last year. It's definetely worth a try, see it if grabs you with its charm, the best you can do is just play it and see for yourself.

I just wish there was some kind of guide or something since every system has its own emulator that's different then the rest. I already tried /vr/'s emu-wiki but there's was nothing i could find except what emulators there are for what systems.

That's it? I remember reading about needing to do some bios stuff or something.

bios is only for systems that use CDs

I think it's worth giving a shot but there's some stuff you should know going in.

The main characters have almost no dialog. Unlike other jrpgs, this one really isn't about the characters, although there will be a few standouts. It's more about going to neat places and seeing weird and neat things. The characters almost never comment on anything, even the stuff you'd expect them to. The result is just kind of a weird feeling that's hard to describe.

You can grind through the game but if you understand the battle system you shouldn't need to. USE YOUR FUCKING PSYCHIC POWERS. Do not just rely on using melee hits over and over. Learn how different attacks affect different rows/columns of enemies so you can use your powers effectively.

Expect item management to be a huge pain, that's an intentional part of the game's challenge.

I think the sequel Mother 3 is much better, but it helps to play Earthbound first. Playing Earthbound Beginnings supposedly makes the story easier to understand in Earthbound, but I've never played more than like two hours of it and I got the gist of EB just fine.

What that guy said is literally all there is to it.

Just pick a SNES emulator, do a tiny bit of research to make sure it's not malware or something, and download it. Then find an Earthbound ROM. Save it.

Then open the emulator, use it to open the ROM, and play the game.

Emulators for cartridge games are literally some of the easiest programs to use.

Attached: earthbound__paula_and_ness_portrait_by_aeraalbunea-d6r7569.jpg (800x650, 167K)

It's Dragon Quest but for the audience that likes to HOLD UP SPORK and be TEH PENGUIN OF DOOM. Stay away if you don't like primitive as fuck JRPGs.

b8

I seriously don't understand how can you even sit on a computer and open a web browser and get to Sup Forums. I remember running SNES emulators when I was 9 and didn't even had internet. Where do you people even come from?

Earthbound is not primitive, you can view enemies on the field, if you're too strong you don't even have to battle them, enemies often run away from you if you're too overleveled even.

For SNES, download snes9x, fire it up, and you're ready to go. For NES, I recommend mesen, same thing. No need for BIOS stuff, that's only for newer consoles usually. If you want a one size fits most emu, you can try bizhawk, that seems decent. You'll get the hang of it, and it the rest will be more straightforward

And even then its not hard.
Just download a BIOS file.
Move it into the emulator folder for BIOS
Repeat ROM download and play

Now DOS emulation on the other hand...i still need to figure out

There are even browser emulators now, you can save your game and all.

Skip earthbound, just play Mother 3. its better in every way.

Man fuck DOS emulation.

When it comes to DOS I just hope the game I want to play comes to gog so I don't need to bother with that shit myself.

This works pretty well.
classicreload.com/prince-of-persia.html

Nah. Earthbound isn't as dark which I like. Also, SNES graphics and sound >>>> GBA graphics and sound.

Thanks for the info, i thought everything was more complicated then that. The only problem i have now is where to get roms from. Any legit sites where i can download them without worrying about malware?

Mother I haven't played, but from all the videos I've seen on it, its shit just like the original Dragon Quest, where most of your time in the game is spend grinding your ass off.

Earthbound/Mother 2 is pretty alright, definitely not amazing and your experience can vary widely because of the random stat increases at level ups, meaning that you might have to grind due to shitty RNG. Also its kind of like a remake of Mother in a lot of ways.

Mother 3 I also haven't played, but from the videos I've seen it definitely seems to be the best in the series, and it seems that people who didn't like the first two game almost always end up loving this one.

This game stinks.

Emuparadise and The Iso Zone are my go-to sites.

I was thinking about picking up the first one, is it really as grind heavy as some people say?

If by grind you mean "walk up and down to fight enemies on purpose to level up" then no
If by grind you mean "there are a LOT of random encounters" then yes
Fight all you encounter and you wont have to grind
Most people also dont know that you are supposed to run away from enemies in the last part of the last dungeon they are insane on purpose while the final boss isnt

Oh you also have a run away spell that never fails by that point

Its DQ1 levels of grinding from what I can tell, and the anniversary patch doesn't help it because while it drops the absurdly high encounter rate of the game, it doesn't change much else, so you have to grind even more because your stats will be lacking more than usual against later enemies, and because of the lowered encounter rate you'll have to spend even longer walking around the map to get into a battle.

EB was pretty fucking dark if you look into it a bit more. especially with giygas.
also M3s story is shit.

>most of your time in the game is spend grinding your ass off
There is a point in M1 where the difficulty suddenly spikes up. The normal approach would be grinding to make up for this but the enemies are way too powerful. It's more convenient to run away or abuse Ana's PSI powers, I'd suggest running away.

Also like everyone has said this is a pretty old JRPG so expect tedious mazes and cryptic help from NPCs.

>you are supposed to run away from enemies in the last part of the last dungeon
Yes but I spammed Run way before during the desert

>the desert
wtf? the enemies are the easiest thing there.

Mother 3 when? Trying to get the rhythm on emulators is frustrating

Mother 2 is a remake of Mother 1.

1>2>3

Attached: brainlet4.jpg (588x823, 109K)

Wrong

Its nowhere near as bad as DQ1, in DQ1 you must look for encounters on purpose on M1 I go straight to rescue Pippi and have no problems
Learn to use bread

Wtf how have you not played it? I played it years ago when it was translated. Its not as good as 2 but I am biased cuz nostolgia

I only played the very first one and it was kinda ass. It has a unique setting and style, but thats about it. The rest of it is very much a JRPG of the time, with no maps (i dont remember any anyway), grindy, boring gameplay and unnecessary length.

Maybe I remember things wrong, it's been years since I played it. I think it was around whenTeddy joins and tinking, wow he sure helps a lot with this bullshit, then he gets rekked

Please tell me what seperates the two besides names

>people unironically enjoy M3s story
fucking how?
all of the subtly is gone and it feels like a shitty anime.

Attached: 1458601071526.jpg (638x647, 52K)

I hope when Mother 3 is finally released here they do a physical collection. A VC-only release would be so lame.

its been a decade, its not getting released. get the fuck over it.

The story is a direct sequel

I mean yea but when im sittin at work i like to get paid to play games

I don't think you know how those symbols work.

My heart was racing so much when fighting Giygas I almost died.

keep praying ;_;

I don't even want an official release but it's going to happen in the next two years. (screencap me if you want)

Unironically agree

But he's not wrong?
2 is basically just an enhanced remake of 1, MC looks the same, stories start the same in the middle of the night with you in your pajamas, you go around collecting melodies, etc.

We had Mother 1 not so long ago, they're obviously gonna launch Mother 3 some time.

almost
2>1>3

please be bait

Attached: brainlet2.png (645x729, 97K)

Earthbound 0 is good, but remember it's an NES game. It's shown it's age. Earthbound is a great game, but you'll definitely want to include a modernized control hack unless you like your classic Dragon Warrior/Ultima "press a button to bring up a list of commands so you can talk to someone who's already walked away and farted in your general direction". Mother 3 is pretty good, though I enjoyed Earthbound more.

Attached: 22095482.jpg (500x500, 162K)

Not at all.

why don't you play the game and make your own opinion faggot?

these two are pretty much the best pair in vidya. you cannot change my mind.

Attached: nesspaula lifeup.jpg (1055x2372, 1.9M)

But its a sequel, its a continuation of the story
Its like saying alttp is a remake of zelda 1.
I mean if thats your definition of remake sure

And 1 doesnt start during the night nor does ninten ever wear pajamas a dn you arent collecting melodies in 2 you are collecting the power of the earth which is recorded in the sound stone because ness is tainted and cant make the power his until he defeats the manimani statue curse which was planted by gygas beneath his house on purpose

oh, so youre just retarded.

>in your pajamas
Hello, American.

No its not. The setting and characters in 1 are almost exactly like those in 2 but with name changes. However the setting and characters in 1 and 2 are nothing like 3.

giygas's story was much sadder than claus.
change my mind.

Earthbound is by far the most solid of the series. Play it, and if you think it's amazing you can run through 1 and 3. 2 and 3 are linked story-wise(but with a gap of hundreds of years), 1 and 2 are in a kind of weird place where 2 is almost more a of a reboot of 1 than a direct sequel. 1 has a lot of old-school NES RPG grinding required, 3 suffers in scope from being a GBA game.

Im going to assume you are shitposting
If you actually believe that you are simply wrong

>3fag doesnt get the concept of a coherent sequel
go figure

If you press L you automatically do Check so you don't have to bring up the menu to interact with people or things.

say what you want about 2, but 1 by far had the best story and characters

The number of differences between 1 and 2 can be counted on one hand. The sprites of the characters you play as in 1 even look exactly the same as 2. Similar storyline with some name changes for plotlines events. Same level design. The same cant be said between 2 and 3, becuase there is too many differences to post.

>Its like saying alttp is a remake of zelda 1.
That's not entirely wrong either, ALttP isn't a sequel, as the games are not connected, but it could be considered a sort of remake to Zelda 1.
Its not as similar as Mother 1 to 2 though.

>1 doesnt start during the night
>nor does ninten ever wear pajamas
Guess I was misremembering
>you arent collecting melodies in 2 you are collecting the power of the earth
Different words, same thing.

I'm not saying its a 1:1 remake, but its similar enough to be considered a sort of remake.

did you even fucking play the two or are you just going on memes? i refuse to believe someone can be this stupid. although you ARE a 3fag after all.

Attached: brainlet3.png (645x729, 69K)

it has aged a better than a lot of its contemporaries, I think. the lack of random battles and really good localization go a long way. it's also thematically compelling and captures a weird kind of nostalgia for the game before you're through with it

No other game comes close to Earthbound for me.

youtube.com/watch?v=-NLjoBzd6gQ

The only NES game I ever replay is mother 1

youtube.com/watch?v=s9q736S2NAI&t=19s
posting the best track

Attached: groovy.gif (474x365, 1.07M)

did they h ug?

Attached: nesspaula kiss.png (374x374, 135K)

It took me an entire week to make Daggerfall work in DOSBox because the game refused to install itself. Dropped it after 3 days

MGS2 is a retelling of MGS1. The simularities between Mother 2 and Mother 1 are greater than the simularities between MGS2 and MGS1. However the same cant be said about Mother 3. Just like the same cant be said about MGS3

oh my fucking god you really are that stupid

Attached: slojak1.png (251x201, 7K)

Earthbound is fucking magical

Attached: Earthbound.full.1569754.jpg (750x728, 316K)

please dont be american.

Don't use Gods name in vain

>MGS2 is a retelling of MGS1
no it isn't dude. you seem to be confusing "borrowing plot elements" with "remaking" or "retelling"

You dont need BIOS for SNES or NES or SEGA. Only disc based games like Dreamcast or Playstation.

get off my christian earthbound server

Not that guy but MGS2 is entirely a simulation for Raiden to go through the same events Snake had in Shadow Moses.

Attached: Ko Mother.png (1434x1034, 1.8M)

MGS2 Says it itself that it is a VR simulation in MGS1

2 is okay but the combat is a little shite.
Treat the games as interactive movies, rather than a videogame, despite the combat being tough and all that, it's just not worth it.

Love the setting and charm it has though, simply amazing.

I want to make this game harder
Is a no equipment run too insane?

turn the text speed to maximum and dont ever buy armor

>Treat the games as interactive movies
Fuck you, gameplay isn't just combat (which is okay), there are also puzzles and exploration. And the game is too lacking in cutscenes to be considered a movie.