Are mech games basically dead? I played a bit of Into the Breach but it's hardly what I would call a mech game...

Are mech games basically dead? I played a bit of Into the Breach but it's hardly what I would call a mech game. I see that there's a Mechwarrior game on the horizon, but is there ANYTHING out there currently that is sim-like at all like AC? All that I can find are lame action beat-em-up animu games, instead of something that actually feels like a nice mech sim-style title.

Attached: 2j9k4j.png (1127x1080, 1.12M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=meht2cF355E
youtube.com/watch?v=EeljP3PhiM0
youtube.com/watch?v=8Zpsa9VfSfk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mechs a gay

Attached: 649750938.jpg (1024x890, 206K)

From's said on two occasions that they're working on a new Armored Core, but in typical From fashion we haven't seen anything and probably won't until right before release.

So you're saying Titanfall is the way to go?

Core Strong

Attached: ANGRY ROBOT NOISES.jpg (600x600, 65K)

>sim-like
>armored core

Titanfall

We have that battletech game coming out soon but it looks like complete shit that only devoted fanboys will like.
The must fun part of mech games is customizing them. There will be a new AC in the future, the new front mission looks like dogshit.
Duel Gear is still making progress and could be cool.
I really hope indie fags make a low poly mech game where you can customize the shit out of them like early front missions.
I think he means autistically customizing the mech to even doing shit like weight balancing.

It's not Steel battalion but its more Sim like than say Titanfall

There's a turn-based tactical game made by the Shadowrun devs called Battletech coming out next month. Looks interesting gameplay wise but the story looks saturday morning cartoon tier retarded. I think the Mechwarrior game is coming out next year, though. MWO is shit.

Attached: do you even lift.jpg (782x1092, 365K)

I wish there were more straight rpg mech games.

I know there's stuff like Front Mission 3 but it was heavy on the strategy and I couldn't git gud.

Seems no one either japs or westerners can do mech games properly. Even games like armored core where you spend 2 hours in a build menu for a 2 minute mission.

Not even titanfall did it right

People say steel battalion alot but look up a whole playthrough of the game top to bottom. It's not like DCS or FSX sim not even close it's more like sim feeling. It has terrible in game fog, the missions are not long or hard once you know what buttons to push. I can be finished in one sitting and has near zero replay value ZERO. And like the capcom game it is, it feels very capcomy which is not a good thing.

Attached: NerfThis.jpg (680x594, 41K)

>I looked up gameplay for a game centered entirely around using its controller
Thats not going to help you at all. Its like saying you watched some jackass play a vr game and feel like you have a good understanding on how fun vr is.

Try Strike Suit Zero

How can I make a mech game properly?

You gotta make a cockpit with screens and peddles and controllers and shit and play something like Mechwarrior 3 with it.

Mechwarrior 5 will be made by the same people as MWO.

It's being released day 1 with the steam workshop so that means, unlike MWO, people can fix it with mods.

Mechs with "heads" are fucking dumb.

Attached: 1468550549617.webm (1280x720, 1.56M)

Mechs in general are dead, nowadays everything's about the pilots and the robots are just some background scenery

As a mech fan, Steel Battalion reigns as king of mech simulation.
The campaign has replay value if you attempt different missions with different loadouts. That concept of self-challenge.
Otherwise, that's why there shortly thereafter released the multiplayer standalone Line of Contact.
You would know that if you actually played the game.

In any event, I've taken my Steel Battalion controller, and repurposed it for robotics projects, since it's an incredibly ideal setup.
But I won't lie, I mostly yearn for the day another mech game worth of using the controller comes along, but so far there is not.

Need something that has a simulator-first emphasis of steel battalion, with the building/customization balance of armored core, and the heat mechanics of the Mechwarrior series. And, pilot aspects like Brigador.
Single player. Multiplayer. No premade maps for multiplayer, everything is procedural, because map meta is a boring crutch for skill. Clans, corporations, mercenaries, custom banners and sprays on the mechs that you DON'T have to pay for (FUCK you PGI).

You can't fix broken code.

That movie was a treasure to watch.

Can only fix so much user. TES is an endless modfest because none of them can actually fix it.

Luckily the game won't have deep rooted cryengine errors like MWO since it's Unreal 4. I know, I know, PGI will find some way to fuck it up. I don't know why I have hope for it.

Attached: MWO patch day.gif (656x1024, 200K)

source

Which movie is this from?

Mechs with legs are fucking dumb

don't be such a underage faggot

Mechs without legs are just tanks

I'm sorry you can't enjoy things, user.

Attached: mWOg8im.jpg (1260x1263, 180K)

Just one of the best mech games ever made in the last 20 years coming through don't mind me, anyone hardly remembers me anymore

Attached: 220px-Robot_Warlords_Coverart.png (220x312, 134K)

Maybe I'm just not into mecha?

I do
It's where I learned the word khaki

Patlabor 2.

Don't go into it expecting EX-TREME MECHA ACTION!!!

it's a military political drama/detective story more than anything

Garrison Archangel releases next week, but that's more of an arena fighter with a mecha coat of paint on it. Decent customization though.

I enjoyed HAWKEN until they made it console only and left PC for dead

>We have that battletech game coming out soon but it looks like complete shit
why?
It looks great, has lots of customization (that shows up on the mech), a multiplayer that works, and a detailed single player campaign.

Unironically I’m digging Titanfall. The pilot/titan mechanic is cool as shit.

>autistically customizing the mech to even doing shit like weight balancing.

Honestly that sounds incredible.

It's a shame Front Mission went down the route it did
I liked tactical mech-combat
Though FM did rely too heavily on RNG. I want to eject pilots on purpose, not by accident

I LOVE THE BUSHWACKER

Attached: bushwacker.jpg (1017x786, 116K)

Post a pic of your fucking controller m80. Let me asses your wizardry.

>mechs without legs
but that's just a tank with a large top

>you want to color your mech?
>okay, here are five color choices for you
>four of which cost a million in game money
>what, you want different options?
>sure, just pay us real money
At this point, I'm not sure which is more reprehensible between MWO and AC:I.

Attached: 1218870631042.jpg (190x153, 5K)

I really hate how most mech games are hard sims. I don't want to weight balance each part, fine tune cooling, decide what screws to use or how big my cupholder is. Just let me pick some weapons and a frame then get in a fucking fight.

Brigador has a bit of an arcade twist being an isometric game and something of a horde shooter with a strict 2 weapon limit but it actually does ballistic simulation, LOS and environmental destruction extremely well despite being a 2d game.

The height of your mech/tank actually matters a lot and you have to be conscious of how far ahead or behind of a target your mouse cursor is positioned because you'll shoot over targets that are low to the ground, you can even crouch to flatten the trajectory of your rounds and take care of the little ankle biters more easily or just to hide behind tall cover.

It also has optional tank controls which are neat.

>It's a shame Front Mission went down the route it did
Of not having any games (not counting the DS remake of FM1) for over a decade, then giving us a spinoff?

>Though FM did rely too heavily on RNG. I want to eject pilots on purpose, not by accident
Then play Front Mission 5

No, mech games are no dead, they're just mostly dead in the west. Japan still makes a ton of them every year, they just never see the light of day outside of Asia.

something like this?

Attached: Metaltech_Battledrome_B.jpg (630x800, 105K)

>chromehounds 2 never

Most companies don't want to make mech games in the west because Harmony Gold is so lawsuit-friendly with anything they can claim as close enough to robotech.

Anything good?

We need to burn Harmony Gold

If I ever win the lottery I would buy Harmony Gold just so I can shut it down, deport that sweaty Egyptian fuck holding all that shit hostage, demolish the building, and put all that legal shit to rest.

Attached: fug de inersfeer ;-DDDDDDDD.png (600x800, 26K)

and pick a fight with the mob?

This, shame it failed so bad.

That depends entirely on what you want.

I only just discovered VOTOMs for the PS2 and had a blast with it, the game has like 40 mechs to choose from.
youtube.com/watch?v=meht2cF355E
Actual mech part starts at 2 minutes

Fairly certain that's not the case. They fuck with Battletech because Battletech did originally use Macross designs and a court agreed, so they're obviously a vulnerable target. If some other company made their own game with robots then Harmony Gold wouldn't have a chance with a lawsuit.
Though yeah they do still suck and the world would be better if they didn't exist.

In that case we need another StarSiege.

>thread about mech games
>no mention of Brigador
What the fuck Sup Forums?

Attached: This_is_my_hole_it_was_made_for_me.gif (293x289, 1.99M)

>mfw

Attached: just.jpg (471x301, 18K)

The bushwacker is such a good "do anything mech." I'm glad it was the starter for MW3

They actually ended up making a modest profit in the end thanks to the humble bundle deal, it was enough for them to start work on a new game in addition to another update for brigador.

What's it about?

Just in time since Tribes Ascend is dead.

It's a videogame adaptation of an anime about Japanese Rambo and his quest to both get back his waifu and personally kill as many people as he can.
youtube.com/watch?v=EeljP3PhiM0

Did you even bother to ctrl + f?

>Tribes Ascend is dead.
F

way too shallow
arcade fun for coffee breaks, but nothing more engaging

does the new Gundam Breaker game count?

Attached: 1521213308611.png (377x413, 296K)

There's a one man project about trying to make chromehounds with a fresh coat of paint.

It has a snowball's chance in hell but I'm going to believe because Chromehounds was the shit.

It's called MAV

>and personally kill as many people as he can.
Not on purpose though. Chirico has really heavy PTSD from all the constant war and murder and he wants to stop, but the universe is content on making sure he is constantly hounded by people trying to kill him.

I want to give a bit more of a detailed answer than the other user.
So VOTOMS is about this guy named Chirico, and he is made from pure, unadulterated suffering a lot of which may or may not be deserved. He was in the army in a future where armies have highly disposable and highly explodable mechs. Anyway, he sees some girl's tits and is immediately obsessed. From there on, most of the story revolves around him trying to liberate his waifu, trying to hold on to her, and then finally having to come to grips with the primary instigator of his suffering.
It's pretty sweet and you should watch it.

The RNG-heaviness is mostly just unique to 3, though there's still a good chunk in the other entries. It just had a much, much bigger impact in 3 due to the smaller amount of units on the field and the sheer power of the random effects- stunning took a mech out of commission for a ridiculous amount of turns, ejection made you vulnerable to getting instagibbed and ensured the wanzer wouldn't be able to do anything useful on the next turn, and that's not even mentioning the skills.
The instant torso kill/eject shit was fucking insane.

4 toned the randomness down by a lot, and focused a lot more on links and unit placement than getting lucky with skills/criticals.

>try to slough through the closed casket special just to say I did it
>spend and hour and a half on it
>always fuck up on one of the campaign missions

He also has a legit, in-universe reason for being a Gary Stu (in terms of fighting and surviving impossible situations, as you said his life is shit otherwise) that only a very small group of people in the setting, which he is not part of until the very end, are aware of said reasons.

>gets tackled
>pops his cockpit, shoots the pilot of the mech on top of him with a pistol
Goddamn.

I just finished robot alchemic drive, it was amazing. wish sandlot would make a new one instead of more EDF (nothing against it)

Attached: gsdx_20180320235017.png (1280x896, 726K)

Isn't the main power source for mechs in VOTOMS basically napalm?

Armored Core is getting a new game.
there is a new game related to the Front Mission franchise coming out.
Gundam Breaker is getting a legit western release instead of shoddy Singapore English release.
Quite a few Mech related indie games have been dropping lately.

Mech is doing fine. Just doing it low key nowadays.

The new Gundam Battle Operations game counts.

I don't think so? I don't really know about power source, but ATs load up on this stuff called Polymer Ringer Liquid, which is basically oil that takes longer to burn off. It's not impact-friendly, though. More of a lubricant than power, from what I understand.

>can see how great MWO could be if better devs were working on it
>can see the gameplay shine through briefly some games
>the threshold of being a legitimately fun game is forever out of reach behind a barrier of mediocrity and poor game balance and overall shitty coding

Attached: the ride never ends.png (1000x848, 157K)

Ah, they're lubed with napalm. My bad.

Whats your opinion on this small boy.

Attached: Raven.jpg (938x850, 188K)

havn't heard of it, I'll check it out

>Weight balancing
>Autistic
>Not an interesting mechanic that also restricts builds from being too retarded
Whatever, apples and oranges I guess.

Where else would you place your sensory equipment? A "head" allows for 360 degrees of vision as well.

Assault Gunners HD just came out

It is interesting, but its still insanely autistic and not necessary. Its great that its an option.

Eh it's old shit, way too dated nowadays.
Its main feature was modem-to-modem netplay.

seems ok... doesn't really look like it has that mech game feel though
it's too fast
youtube.com/watch?v=8Zpsa9VfSfk

Have people forgotten about hawken?

Reminder to the Mecha fans here to try Brigador! It's top down twin stick with lots of customization and vehicles to choose. Also features an edgy synthwave soundtrack, which is the sole reason I got into it.

Attached: 1518402181077.gif (487x560, 898K)

Hawken is kill.

You sound like that isn't the best type of mecha, or a true mecha anime because of it.

You mean Scout Arena? No, nobody has forgotten.
>Mfw I dumped $30 on it to try out all the mechs and became damn scary with Sniper
>Mfw it doesn't matter because Scout
It was fun while it lasted though.

Attached: Frieza33.png (633x343, 245K)

Never heard of it, but looks kinda cool and fun. Thanks for the recommendation.

I don't know why this gets shilled so much. I played the first few missions, and there's nothing to it, really. Basically what this guy said