I made this

i made this. mazetrace.com

just sharing it. I want nothing from you

Attached: aa.png (400x400, 148K)

Is this gonna be a scre-
>Pop ups blocked

Oh I see.
Sage.

This is alright for a browser game. What did you code it in?

>lostboy.exe
nope

there are a couple ads, I might take them off. Without massive traffic, its just pennies

the whole site it just 3 files. html doc, png image, javascript

So it's Trial-and-error The Game? I think it's a potentially interesting concept but I can't really see how you can scale it to higher difficulties without making it insanely frustrating. "Oh I need to backtrack a hundred steps and try again because I took a wrong turn and I couldn't know it before now".

Maybe you should be able to look ahead to the next tiles in the path? Maybe you could have bonuses spread on the map that let you change the color of one tile or something similar?

Addicting. Add a timer for stress.

isnt a regular maze just trial and error? I wanted to reuse that concept, just do it differently. But yeah I think having bonuses spread on the map could be fun. I am exploring having look ahead thanks, just havent had time to code those changes in and see how it plays

thanks!

A regular maze doesn't make a very good video game IMO. The problem is that there's no skill involved, at best you need to memorize the upcoming sequence when you backtrack so that you can plan ahead but that's a bit limited.

If you really wanted to make a maze simulator I think it would be a little more enjoyable if you started with the entire map obscured and you uncovered new sections as you travel. It would still be pure trial-and-error though, I'm not sure how you can add strategy in a game like that.

I forced myself to make something basic. I figured if I can do that, then I be a little more ambitious with my next project. So you're right, a maze probably isnt a great video game. But it loads fast and is easy to play lol.

Attached: screenshot (2).png (1048x659, 25K)

This is alright. If it's going to get a lot more complex maybe look into doing a Tetris style preview of the next few upcoming colors rather than just be given one.

beautiful man. simply beautiful

Attached: 1XZ931e.png (158x264, 96K)

Are the levels static or do you have an algorithm that generates a level and then generates possible solutions?

the server generates the level on the fly. its using A* pathfinding

That's a very reasonable take, from a technical standpoint it seems to work well. I don't think lack of ambition is a problem, it's just that it's hard to come up with a game concept that's both innovative and has lasting appeal.

Add a two or three space look ahead like Tetris. Or maybe a system where you start the level with X, Y, and Z moves of blue, red, and green and it's up to the player to spend their moves as they see fit navigating the level and picking up an bonuses that may be there. Bonus points for unspent moves at the end so there might be a trade off where it's not worth it to go to an out of the way bonus tile.

I think the problem with a limited look ahead is that if the first non-ambiguous move is after the last look-ahead you're back to trial and error.

I like your second option though, you have a budget and you decide how you can spend it. You can add more colors, more complex maze designs and additional constraints to modulate difficulty (like colors that are paired together and have to be spent in sequence for instance, or tiles that can only be crossed in a certain direction).

Hmm, that's a good take on the bonus/tradeoff concept. Might have to try that one out

There's more you could do with that and bonuses too. You could have tiles that "refuel" certain colors so say you start with only a few blue moves and have to pick up more as you navigate the maze. Also in terms of starting moves you could do something like generate a maze, generate random bonus tiles, then run a pathfinding algorithm on all combinations of the bonuses (start>1>2>3>end, start>1>3>2>end, start>2>1>3>end, etc.) find the most efficient, then give the player roughly the number of moves needed to make the route.

Overall though you have a solid and sound idea and with a little polish you could put this on the app store and make a decent return. In fact, this idea is good enough you probably shouldn't post this again, because this idea it's good enough to steal.

ahh yes, good ideas. thank you really. I guess if someone rips the idea, then....well I'm flattered.

Ideas are worthless, it's the implementation that matters.

well I believe its something like idea x implementation = value

Attached: 1345692251937.jpg (575x474, 84K)

Maybe have tiles that are multi-colored and let you move onto it with any of those colors. Or reverse tiles that let you backtrack.