How am I supposed to fight? I really don't get it

How am I supposed to fight? I really don't get it.
I just beat the Media King and tough/boss fights like that usually just end up coming down to bringing enough health items to survive long enough to chip them down.

I try playing defensively, aggressively, it doesn't matter. They dodge or block 9/10 hits regardless of what I do. They move far too fast to just get behind like I've heard, even the Rush style's counter to get behind gets me maybe 2 rush punches which deal virtually no damage anyway, and in the meanwhile since they rarely ever get stunned they have already dodged my last hit and dished out an entire combo on me. Heat actions do so little damage they're not worth losing the meter, although I will moments later anyway when they hit me with another round of "nothin personnel kid"

I just don't get it. I get it's not a very good or deep combat system but is there really nothing more to it than tanking damage until you win?

Attached: Yakuza0.jpg (220x275, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gAZzWzUHV4c
youtube.com/watch?v=E53ijxyFsus&t=49s
youtu.be/YBhS3M3iDYM
youtube.com/watch?v=rOy3xN45nhU
youtube.com/watch?v=YE160vD0Ako
youtube.com/watch?v=QkHIPp1i9p8
youtu.be/1D3NrcKToGs
youtu.be/Xx6IEG8vW3c
youtube.com/watch?v=h6nVWB0aLsQ&list=PLF3187C350AEDA048&index=16
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Beast mode.

Brawler after getting the drunk upgrades

The combat system in Yakuza works by it's own rules, you either understand those rules or you get frustrated by a little bitch (what's happening to you right now).

Generally speaking for tough opponents you have two kinds:

-The stunlock combo guys
-The hyperarmor guys

The first kind WILL LOCK YOU into a combo if they hit you with it, so dodge it, and then punish.
The second kind will POWER TROUGH your attacks, so do as much damage as possible and then either dodge, or block trough the attack animation that is going to execute no matter what you do.
Additionally, both of them can do some bullshit from laying on the ground as they get up that can lead to more bullshit as a follow up.
And as last piece of advice, never ever ever stay on the ground near them after getting knocked down, they'll always do some additional bullshit to punish you even more, mash that X or even better do one of those attacks that puts you on your feet, it's faster.

Don't be afraid to stock up on weapons and healing items for very tough fights, it's normal to do so.
But most importantly you should ABSOLUTELY do as many secondary missions as you can and especially the real estate minigame for Kiryu and the host club minigame for Goro, it sounds like you aren't upgrading your shit enough because you lack a big cash inflow.

Attached: 1.png (810x400, 294K)

I have no idea how you're having any trouble with anyone that isn't Kuze 1 or Amon. Kuze 1 even forces you to learn how to sway behind an enemy or to attack them piecemeal and Kuze 2's entire gimmick is getting behind him or tanking him with Beast. You can always guard in Brawler and then as soon as they get out their combo you retaliate with your own. You can also dodge behind them as soon as they start a combo and usually get a hit off to their back to give you a free full combo. If they super armor through anything then stop attacking and block or sway.

Rush is for the quicksteps, use them to sway behind an enemy as they're attacking. Beast will outright break the game with the super armor and high defense once you get to 2nd which takes like two punches, and Brawler/DoD are perfect for all around fighting. Thug is basically Brawler and Rush mixed together and is great for getting behind an enemy and getting full combos out on them, it's one of the best ways to fight Majima's Amon for example if you don't want to cheese him with the dagger. Slugger is good for using the charged attack on square + triangle, the batchuks, or the somersault. Breaker breaks the game thanks to the ground spinning move which you can loop to slaughter any boss.

Yes, bosses in 0 and Kiwami do have super armor, but that's usually only when they get into Heat or if their name is Shimano. You can always deal with this by blocking or swaying since they still have a start up time for their attacks and if they do have it then you have to slowly whittle them down. Something you also need to learn is the tells for enemies since they will not attack you for about two seconds after they last attacked, they will always guard about a second after they've attacked or you've done a full punch combo (The same applies to them getting super armor) so you can get a combo out then, and if you grab an enemy they will only allow you to do it once before you attack them normally and land a hit.

Oh, and another thing is that you need to constantly be upgrading your damage. Since you're at the Media King that means you already beat the Leisure King which unlocks Brawler's entire thing and gives you power up 3 and 4. That already gives you an enormous power boost. If you're having trouble getting money then fight Shakedown and get the Encounter Finder. He's an incredibly easy fight to do even without things like Zap Guns and he telegraphs his attacks like crazy. You'll probably make some mistakes and that's normal, the fights take like 5 minutes at the start, but eventually you know how to beat them without getting hit and you'll earn 1 billion Yen each and every fight. Re-Guard is also something essential you should get for Brawler, it helps out very well.

I just took down the Finance King now, and have done every substory available. I've got most of the upgrades in all three trees outside of the ones that cost a trillion each.Finishing up some properties before I start doing Mr Shakedown for more money.

Regardless of how they attack, they all seem to be just too fast is the problem. I can get behind them but then they just instantly get behind me and start attacking, or they just dodge and block everything I throw at them. They recover from any guard breaks before I can follow up when those happen too.
Rarely ever do my combos stun, which fine, but then I"m just dancing around doing chip damage and getting comboed for my troubles because they're all The Flash.
I occasionally try out Beast Mode but it's so slow that the rare hit I can manage isn't worth it.

I'm not mad, I've only ever lost to a boss once when I entered at 1/3rd health and didn't have any items, just annoyed because I can't figure out how the game wants me to play. I suppose i'll start trying to use weapons, since I"ve never bothered outside of a zappy gun I got out a dream machine and shot Shakedown with.

Grab more, hit them while they're on the ground, not just for damage but also for heat.
Use heat actions more, they really should do more damage than what you're reporting.

>yakuza thread started with genuine gameplay analysis
I love it
so I'm playing kurohyou now, the combat is fucking tight. I really hope they remaster these or at least just throw them on PSN at some point because they're truly great.
soundtrack is fucking tight too
youtube.com/watch?v=gAZzWzUHV4c

how can you be this retarded? play sudoku

>Regardless of how they attack, they all seem to be just too fast is the problem
That's something you need to learn from the fights and it happened to me in 1 as well. The mook fights will especially teach you how to fight 1v1 eventually and let you see the pattern. All enemies including the bosses have a general pattern of hit --> wait --> see what the opponent does --> retaliate. You can always hit them on the "wait" period of that. If they retaliate you can do two things:
Retaliation takes about a second from what you do to actually happening. During this moment you can sway behind them, you can run, you can block, or you can get hit. Kuze 1 in particular teaches you the fundamentals of the way you should be fighting which is a mix of swaying to reach the enemy's back, attacking then they stop attacking, or punching them a couple of times and then backing off which you vary depending on their actions. You can always get behind every enemy, it's just that some attacks don't make it easy (Kuze 2 for example shows you this).

I'll give you a boss example from Kenzan:
youtube.com/watch?v=E53ijxyFsus&t=49s
Study how he fights Komaki, notice how he's swaying when Komaki goes for an attack even though he's The Flash? Notice how when Komaki attacks he's completely open to a combo? The same applies with every single Yakuza game.

>I occasionally try out Beast Mode but it's so slow that the rare hit I can manage isn't worth it.
You're missing the point of Beast, Beast is for tanking hits. You get into Heat, switch to Beast, and then mash square and grab anything big like tables and bikes. As long as you are in the middle of a swing be it with an item or a punch you will never be knocked down at all provided you have 2nd or 3rd Heat and Beast has the added bonus of massive defense buffs, even more if you L1 and one of the upgrades for it lets you L1 from an attack to tank a combo for next to no damage.

There is a trick to Kuze 1 though.

I fucked him up just by staying on him with the brawler combo, he manages to block most of them but not the last one that sends him flying.

Also, if he ends up hitting you back you just retaliate by pressing square as soon as you get it, this ends his combo and you can fuck him up again.

Attached: kiryu.jpg (573x541, 61K)

I think one of the biggest mistakes of Yakuza games is that they throw at the player super easy goons for 90% of the game so they don't actually learn how to fight tough opponents.
I mean it's not a "mistake" per se because it's actual game content and it's fun to beat em up, but it means players reach bosses without understanding how to face them as they never had to before up until that point, they learn bad habits.

I was having no luck with Brawler myself on Kuze 1 when I first fought him and ended up just using Rush since it was all I had on me. I also constantly forgot about the charge punch retaliations half the time. On my Legend playthrough I just did Brawler since I pumped more money into it at that point and found it was much easier to sway and block his stuff.

You really gotta max out your skill trees. By the end you have so much health and gain heat so quickly that you'll wish that the enemies were harder. Like all Japanese games, it wants you to grind.

Attached: Rizap Food Guide.jpg (726x9717, 2.36M)

You're doing a good job man, is that all of them now or are there still more? The Japanese guide for it is nonsensical when Google translated so it's good to have something in English.

Yep, these are all 25 meals collected and accounted for. Funny you mention it, except for one or two dishes, the Japanese guide google-translated helped a plenty and was more specific with the ingredient descriptions than I thought it'd be.

Fuck, I wanna play Y6 so bad. I have it pre-ordered and got the demo, but it is too limited.

Attached: 1486618558758.jpg (1333x1000, 305K)

I was having nothing but trouble. The Kanrai ones were not only rough to tell which one they were but had me scratching my head on the exact pick, I remember the Cafe Alps ones being really annoying since the translation I got made no sense, and either Smile Burger or the steak place was just translating nonsense. There was also the one where you had to get chicken and I think two or three stores actually had chicken so it was a guessing game. The guide did help but not as much as I would have liked. Everything else on the wikis is so helpful though like picture locations, certain key item locations, tips for making money or EXP, etc. The PSN profiles guide was the best though, helped me through so much trouble finding all the substories.

I say grind until you can't anymore in the demo. Been doing it nonstop. It's a good appetizer.

Attached: maxresdefault.png (1920x1080, 1.69M)

>I say grind until you can't anymore in the demo
That's really not a good idea when it comes to pumping your main stats if you actually want a decent fight with any of the bosses at all. Attack over 150 is ridiculous at the start of the game, especially 200, and if you're going to grind it should be for points to buy main skills like Attack Speed 1-3 and Relentless Blows instead of buying main stats. I mean, you only really hit 300 in everything around chapter 10 or 11ish if you've been doing literally everything since skills are more important.

>tfw thought it was too much to have C level stats at the start of the game
>someone actually overdid the fuck out of this shit
Now that is some real dedication right there

I heard there's some issues about bosses being way too easy throughout 6.

Would it be a good idea to just not pump attack at all and just focus skills, then other stats?

Yeah, the arena can be really be punishing in that regard if you've just been cheesing through weak goons without getting a solid grasp of the mechanics. Some of 3's opponents were so tough they'd chew through your health bar in a few combos, the only way I beat 3's Komaki was running around with low health using the crotch headbutt heat move to kill him.

What can I say, waiting for 6 has made me thirsty in the worst way.

Attached: tumblr_lzb2e8eYn41qzdknio1_500.gif (500x389, 483K)

>Would it be a good idea to just not pump attack at all
Nah, you need some or you're going to hit like wet fish, especially with the mooks. 150 is alright for the start of the game and for the first couple of chapters, and then 200 should make it a decent challenge the rest of the way. 300 is basically for Amon since he actually has defense and the longest health bar so you're dealing small amount of damage in general even with the 300 Attack. I'm sure you could make it through the entire game on 100 but I don't think that would make for a fun game. 200 would probably be the most balanced in terms of taking a while to kill vs. posing a challenge. I didn't even see entire boss movesets once I got to around 200+, a single swing of a table would deal a huge chunk of their health, dropkicks did chunks, etc. You had to pretty much restrain yourself to see more than a handful of attacks, this includes never touching Extreme Heat.

Damn son, I also really like 6's combat even with it's ragdoll randomness, but shit
Also has anyone played Kenka Bancho series here? I'm playing through 6 on 3DS and holy shit, not only they improved upon everything from previous games but there's also many mini-games just like in Yakuza. And it fucking let's you customize not only literally any combo and grab moves, but also even pose and moving animation. Shit's really good and it's also kind of openworld just like Yakuza
Also you can beat the shit out of everyone you see, even respect women
youtu.be/YBhS3M3iDYM

Man I wish that franchise got the kind of push Yakuza's finally getting. We only get the first one in English and then fucking nothing.

Shit, that never crossed my mind. Did I shit the bed beyond repair just by grinding too much too soon?

It's actually third one, but yeah, it sucks
Especially when the last game of this series is fucking otome on Vita

This looks sick. I wish we got more Yakuza/gang/Delinquent stuff over here. Still have my fingers crossed (wishful thinking) that Crows: Burning Edge will find it's way over. youtube.com/watch?v=rOy3xN45nhU

As long as you lay off upgrading your main stats and focus on skills after this you should be fine for many many chapters, but yeah, the first three or four chapters are probably going to be nothing for you now, possibly even more than that. Around midgame you will just be gaining a lot of EXP for everything but Technique, Charm especially gets maxed out very quickly thanks to Clan Creator, and the first three get filled up incredibly quickly thanks to the restaurants in Onomichi (You can get like 200-300 red per visit at one). It's like getting to level 40 on Destiny Islands in Kingdom Hearts 1.

Speaking of Yakuza-esque games, Akiba's Trip, is it worth it? It seemed shovelwareish but at the same time it had the open world, weapon customization, and the fights looked in the same style outside of the weapons obviously. A couple friends of mine enjoyed what they played but I'm still not entirely sold.

it's a pretty silly game, and it's fairly jank as far as combat goes, but it's also pretty fun, and running around akihabara with a body pillow is pretty fun

Attached: STRIPPED.webm (400x400, 934K)

>Akiba's Trip
It's alright. It was made by the Way of the Samurai dudes and it shows. But it's decent game to play if you want something even a little bit like Yakuza.

Don't play Akiba's Beat.

>Don't play Akiba's Beat.
Yeah, I've seen how bad that one is, I just saw that the other one was more akin to the standard Yakuza fare and thought I'd pick it up if it wasn't too bad. I've given games like it a chance and have been pleasantly surprised so I was kind of on the fence with it.

>akiba's trip
definitely worth playing

Attached: 20161230163955_1.jpg (1920x1063, 408K)

Literally all you need to do is abuse the fuck out of Mr. Shakedown once you get the upgrade that multiplies how much you earn when defeating him. You'll have so much money to use to better yourself that you might as well put the controller down after that.

Also, you can level up your fourth fighting style all the way to level 999, so do the real estate and carbaret club stuff.

I stopped around level 140. I don't know if there's a soft/hardcap or not, but one or two punches at that level usually does the trick.

Is there a faster way to fill out the sphere while leveling up? Filling every single spot with money was tedious.

There's some madman who did it in the Japanese version by the looks of it. Second video has Amon fights directly at the start.
youtube.com/watch?v=YE160vD0Ako
youtube.com/watch?v=QkHIPp1i9p8

Goddamn lol.

They need to remove the ability to menu heal during combat, or at the very least, boss fights.

Fucking BASED.

Just limit how many items can be used per battle or in general. If you don't you end up with Ishin's way of balancing stuff which was just make everything hit you for a ton of damage since you had 40 item slots. 6 tried with the digestion system but you only gain 5 per Toughness/Staminan, etc when 50 or something would be more like it for the really powerful ones if you truly wanted to balance it.

They were going in the right direction in 6, but then they let you carry 10 of several different types of food items. So it made limiting healing items to 5 completely fucking pointless.

They also made it absolutely ridiculous to get some like Toughness Infinity for example. I only found one in the game and it's on the way to the Hirose fight. You can buy Staminan Royales no problem but I don't understand why they made it so hard to find some variants.

Shit, I forgot about that one
There's also Uppers on Vita, it's beat'em'up tho, but still something
youtu.be/1D3NrcKToGs
Haven't played Akiba's Trip, but I just like beating the shit out people with my fists in games of course
youtu.be/Xx6IEG8vW3c
>t was made by the Way of the Samurai dudes and it shows
Holy shit it really shows, now I'm sold
Fuck, google captcha didn't let me to write shit for like 20 minutes

>There's also Uppers on Vita, it's beat'em'up tho, but still something
>Valkyrie Drive got picked up but no one took a chance on Uppers because it bombed in Japan.
Even with the apparent framerate problems I wish we got it localized, it seemed like XSeed might have done it at one point but sadly not.

>Fuck, google captcha didn't let me to write shit for like 20 minutes
Are you using Sup Forums X? Captcha Fixes and Enable Noscript Captcha fix that problem right up, I had it happen all last week and it was infuriating. Gets rid of those fade away choices too.

Shit, that's sad
Not at all, only Ublock. Probably fucked up captcha too much

I'd be fine if Kiryu had to actually pull health drinks out of his inventory and enemies could knock them out of your hands before you finished drinking them. And then pick them up and drink them for themselves. Make you more cautious about healing in general and less ready to waste resources that enemies could just take from you. Higher tier stuff restores more health and heat but takes longer to finish and you're vulnerable while Kiryu's still going OISHIIII with tastier items.

You'd have to rebalance gameplay hard for that though. There's not enough time in a fight or in between attacks to chug the equivalent of a vending machine drink, particularly if it wouldn't let you dodge. Plus running away always has the enemy chase after you so you'd never be able to sip it. It would basically have to function like Estus or something and be bound on the D-Pad and you'd have D-Pad up as your way to change between weapons or drinks. D-Pad down would be to drink and left and right would be to cycle through it.

First time I saw the drinking animation from 6, I thought it was during combat, and got excited. That animation for drinks isn't even in Kiwami 2 anymore, so now they're stat boost items you can use in combat.

Yeah, it's probably be just much easier to limit how many times you can use items per fight like you said. Reduce the effect if you use them too much (like using the same heat action again and again in a fight which they already do) or have Kiryu look physically ill and refuse to chug down his fifteenth energy drink.

Did you equip any items?

Would a Yakuza general on Sup Forums work? The thread before this showcased why I abhor this board.

>That animation for drinks isn't even in Kiwami 2 anymore,
You mean the ones for the vending machines? Lame. They were neat.

>Kiryu running while drinking water like a madman.

Yeah, they removed it for some weird reason. I also enjoyed walking around sipping in 6.

The series is an absolute mess right now.

Can you faggots stop doing this?

Attached: do you rike it.jpg (480x480, 25K)

You can try but it'll probably fail like the last five attempts. We get a big influx in the lead up and aftermath of new games and then we go back to five threads that go nowhere and the odd one that reaches the bump limit. Not sure if it's quite big enough to sustain a full blown general, but it people are actually playing the games now.

No. It's been tried at least two or three times within the past six or seven months and each time it dies with a whimper because of two reasons:
These threads aren't normally this active.
These threads usually only get a decent amount of posting due to a new game coming out.

Hell, a week or two before the demo mess with 6 happened we constantly had threads that were maybe 50-100 posts at best before dying. The reason we have all these posters right now is because 6 got that mess with the demo which caused a huge panic trying to figure out why it worked, the Asian English release just started getting shipped a couple days ago (We had one guy get one here yesterday), and then the actual western release is next month. The exact same surge of threads happened when 5 came out (There were threads for a solid month, it was impossible to miss them and there were even emulation threads about 1 and 2 when that was happening too), then when 0 came out, and Kiwami had threads for maybe two weeks before going back to normal. This regularity isn't normal and you'd end up in a Kingdom Hearts general situation where you get a post every couple hours just to keep the thread alive.

On /vg/ you mean?

I don't see why not, only problem is it would probably die pretty quickly like they have in the past.

0fags really were a fucking mistake.

Saved, because fuck the trainer and his cryptic bullshit.

Thanks.

Kiwamifags really were a fucking mistake

No such thing.

FEEL THE FORCE

Attached: YAKUZA KIWAMI_20170831171741.jpg (3840x2160, 777K)

>that I, Hiji quest in 6's demo
AI's were a mistake.

Attached: 1469629451842.jpg (282x376, 67K)

probably not. The only reason generals for even deader franchises like ace combat survive is they can be autistic about the planes themselves, while there's not much we can focus on outside of the games

>someone bumping the thread for the pits of page 10

I don't even know why they bother. Thread will die with zero conversation regardless.

That was terrifying.

why does April 17th have to be so far away

Attached: YAKUZA 6_ The Song of Life_20180324202251.jpg (1920x1080, 160K)

I'm playing through 3 right now

When does it start getting good?

Attached: 1507503358427.jpg (271x256, 13K)

Why does that chuuni edgelord always have amazing music all to himself? He's not even anyone important

Why are you even waiting until April?

If you're not enjoying the orphanage stuff, then you're best off just skipping ahead to 4 and watching a recap. 3 is pretty fucking terrible.

youtube.com/watch?v=h6nVWB0aLsQ&list=PLF3187C350AEDA048&index=16

Should've been in more games desu. I think his last actual appearance was Dead Souls?

this, I got the Asian release from PlayAsia and I'm having a lot of fun with the game already

bc getting it standalone via Play Asia plus its shipping would probably cost just as much the after hours edition.

>buying from Play-Asia

for what purpose

Where are you up to? I really enjoyed the whole Tojo clan civil war stuff because it was my first game in the series. I know many people say it's just a rehash of the first game with way shittier clan captains but I actually love that, Kiryu goes away for two years and the Tojo clan's being run by total shitters who he wrecks in two seconds. The boss fights are fucking great throughout, just wait till you have to kill Lau from Virtual Fighter AGAIN. That's the point when the game's plot goes off the rails and dives headfirst into the CIA Twin Dad shit and BLACK MONDAY where Japanese Gordon Brown/Solid Snake invites Kiryu to the Diet Building to explain the game's story in a two hour long exposition dump that ends with Kiryu fighting the JIA on national TV and then Majima rescues him in a pink garbage truck.

>get PSN credit via play-asia codes
>buy game from Asian PSN

Because I'm playing the physical version today instead of in a month?

Attached: YAKUZA 6_ The Song of Life_20180323171616.png (1920x1080, 3.09M)

I ordered the fucking premium edition and I'm not going to buy the same fucking game twice. Not for 6 anyway.

Why do they keep trying to change up the baseball? They keep making it worse.

I wasn't asking you, I was asking the guy not wanting to buy from PA.

>pre-ordering
>paying that much for cringy looking glasses and coasters

you didn't quote the word not

Attached: YAKUZA 6_ The Song of Life_20180324171945.png (1920x1080, 904K)

Are you fucking retarded?

I wanted the art book though. I like artbooks.

Story picks up around the first return to Ryukyu and it's pretty crazy. You'll learn to like the kids after a while even if you dislike how they railroad you to them at first, and then the final boss himself is a great fight with a fantastic intro and music.

The new one's alright because you just have to learn what the starting ball placement means because it always throws it at the same spot every time. I thought it was awful but cleared Expert challenges (I think it was expert) with no problems after a couple tries. The older one's easier but it's not all bad.

Oh, so you're autistic. You know they'll get scanned eventually anyway, right?

playasia copy came with the regular edition artbook

collectors editions are stupid, you're paying extra for a bunch of garbage

I like Yakuza 0

It's mostly shitty fanart. Don't waste you money/time.

Except the fact the PA version costs just as much as the premium edition bc shipping. $20 extra wasted.

That's just the price to pay if you want it a month earlier. Not really worth it if $20 is a lot of money to you.

>Majima does on about how he respected Sagawa for never giving up no matter how hard shit hit the fan
>his pointless story in K2 completely contradicts this

good job

is it really even considered defending yourself if you run straight at a group of guys and beat the shit out of them before they can even hit you

Considering the fight technically starts when they look at you and insult you at least once with everyone readying their fists, yes. It's not like you can just dropkick any old lady walking by, Kiryu just understand that any 20 year olds who look at him are going to pick a fight.