Fellas, I'm considering buying Etrian Odyssey V, is there any reason I should buy IV instead?

Fellas, I'm considering buying Etrian Odyssey V, is there any reason I should buy IV instead?

Attached: EOV_03-22-16_006.jpg (600x728, 221K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XMthXAScDCA
youtube.com/watch?v=I6lvuV0263E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>is there any reason I should buy IV instead?
Not really

Etrian Odyssey is one of those series where you shouldn't really even bother with older entries if there's a newest one.

Anything specific I should know before I jump in gameplay wise?

I guess IV goes on sale more often, but not really.
Don't ignore race skills.

No.

Grinding levels aint saving your ass like in every other rpg

Are you new to the series?

Yes, I was looking for new 3DS series to get into, and cute loli adventure rpg seemed decently fun.

EO games sure feature cute lolis, but they can be brutally difficult. Especially if you play on Advanced, which is the true EO experience(tm).

EOV is probably the most flexible game when it comes to party composition, but you should still put some thought into which classes what you want to use, and what synergy would they have prior to starting the game proper. There's nothing wrong with looking up this stuff in advance.

Thanks user, would you recommend playing on advanced for a first playthrough, or getting a feel for things on normal first?

IV has cuter girls

Advanced is the normal difficulty, "basic" is actually easy modo
For some reason they changed it from the standard normal and casual difficulty settings

Got it, thanks for your input user!

I wish these games had shotas instead of lolis.

Attached: 26.jpg (960x1061, 95K)

Attached: 1513898595714.png (460x558, 181K)

Looks too girly.

>plebian loli lover
>patricial shotacon

Attached: 0c5e9a8416e38338f7d2663528ae410c.png (225x196, 53K)

The 6th Stratum is one of the least satisfying places to explore I've ever seen. Visually and with everything else put together, it's just not fun.

Attached: 1516200973622.png (700x1100, 296K)

The only reason not to is that it gets harder to play the older less polished games after playing the newer ones

Attached: 1517575667950.jpg (700x1000, 377K)

IV is controversial with the self appointed Etrian hardcore because it's easier. The upside for a new player is that... it's easier, and you really can't fuck yourself up with bad party composition unless you're fully retarded.

I can't argue with that. But getting through this hellish gauntlet is a rite of passage. Was my first 6th stratum in the series too. I didn't have time to bother with the post game in the previous entries.

I had a degree of fun. Some of the Taurus puzzles are good, as is luring FOEs into teleporters to clear the way. And the xtreme levelling curve means you get some satisfaction out of e.g. how hard you can destroy those rays after a couple of floors.

Fighting Etrian superbosses on the other hand is shit. Just grind out the money for top gear and stats to actually last the fight. Lamia is perfectly doable, Devourer is a grind invitation

>grind to 99 to beat the Devourer
>my best try is bringing him down to 25% or so
>then his patterns become completely randomized and I get overwhelmed by the adds
In the end I just had to use a cheese strat and oneshot him.

I don't really consider it to be too difficult. It is a little cheap that they gave instant death to enemies, but when you go through several teleporters and are met with more teleporters that work differently (some with no indication) from the rest on that floor, I feel like taking a very long break from the game. A hole in the ground is one thing. Getting thrown into a new, optional location on a previous floor is discouraging. The upside is not every floor is the same.

The color is the only indication you need. There is a pattern to them. A pattern I admittedly didn't figure out on my own without a tip.
And instant death, while obnoxious, wasn't really too bad. It's the sheer amount of aoe control impairing effects the enemies in the stratum have that was the real pain. That and losing an hour of progress after being blindsided with not even a slightest chance to survive.

The 6th Stratum was legitimately unfun. Nice theme, at least.

youtube.com/watch?v=XMthXAScDCA

Spoopy.

They're both garbage you pedo

go 4kat and pug

I fucking loved it tbqh
You should really see 1/U1's stratum 6 if you want unfun

nice

At least it had events.

3 > 4 > 5 > 2U > 1U > 2 > 1

There's a few teleporters, including the one that works as stairs, that are the same color as the normal ones and take you to the floor below. Unless you mean to tell me that there are two different blue ring colors and they are just very similar.

It reminds me, why is there so much space for symbols that is empty? Is it cut from the Japanese release or something? There are oddly specific symbols, even ones that have functionality if you place them on the corresponding space on the map, then there are all these contraptions in later stratums that you have no way of easily marking. If the game had more than one type of arrows, as others did in the past, that alone would be a big help. The ones given to you are seriously lacking.

Attached: 1501415496188.png (900x1200, 983K)

>4 that high

Attached: ShiggyDiggy_EXE.png (640x480, 518K)

>more than one type of arrows
what?

3, 4, and 5 are interchangeable depending on personal tastes, but they are the best games in the series.

>rating the untolds that low
why?

>teleporters, that work as stairs
This is what happens when the destination square goes out of the map bounds. The square count actually continues on the next/previous floor, so you can even predict the point where you end up on the different floor.

Like aside from the ones obviously meant to mark shortcuts, different arrows you could use to signify being forced to move automatically. They were in at least one of the DS games.

youtube.com/watch?v=I6lvuV0263E

Attached: 6859687598751290.jpg (500x551, 83K)

5 still has those

4 is specifically garbage for being so short and easy. Even if you add up all the shitty 3x3 dungeons, it's barely more than half the size of 3, which was already shorter than the average game.

Chocolate titty necromancer.

My friend told me that the 2U was the best game in the series, is he right?

I could see the reasoning for that but it's the only way it can be differentiated is that it's centered since plenty of rooms or hallways have an extra square jutting out.

He was, until V came out.

No they don't.

Sure there are. The whole lower right side of 27F, for example. E6, E7, F7.

EO4 is easy? Wtf, I'm getting my shit rekt by the Pupa in the post game stratum.

There's always a 1 square border around the edge of the map. The walkable tiles never touch it.

Attached: Screenshot-2018-3-29 世界樹の迷宮5 マップ.png (606x523, 46K)

Well, it's not something to keep you tossing in bed as stepping on the thing reveals it's secret. Though I expected more of the teleporters to loop you around the map.

Nah, looping was the fifth stratum's shtick.
The teleporters work strictly in the limits of the screen, strictly a specific number of squares. And if they go beyond - they work as stairs.

>japs hate u2 and considers it worst in the series, on par with original 2
>Sup Forums and west in general considers it pinnacle of eo
really makes you think

>both sides are wrong
Hmm.

how could it be worse than u1

>hate u2 and considers it worst in the series, on par with original 2
How's this even possible? You'd have to be absolutely oblivious to the game's mechanics to think that.
The stratum visuals are weak as fuck, just like the original, that I can agree with. But the game itself is such a huge improvement not only over the original 2 (which is the absolute worst one), but all the games in the series.

They hate it because of the DLC while Atlus USA gave most of it away for free

An easy Etrian Odyssey game is not an easy game

They went full retard on the DLC and deserved the backlash for that alone

Despite the DLC, it has the most content of any EO game, tons of classes an flexibility in general.
It's just fun to go through,except for the hp bloat on bosses, but that's only annoying in the first stratum.

They hate it for many reasons, dlc is just one of them.
Others are
>worst ost in the series
>Hp sponge puzzle bosses
>Bosses in general, with schylla being the only exception(I personally hated how rng could fuck you over)
>Shitty and unmemorable maps, this unironically got carried to the dislike of 5. Guess 3 and 4 approach having less but better designed maps wasn't that bad
>Arianna, especially because "millennium girl" girl was really liked there
I think the only thing that both sides like about it was Cass/Antonio

>"millennium girl" girl was really liked there

Attached: 34770004.jpg (1098x1098, 543K)

Attached: 1510684269518.jpg (535x690, 127K)

I feel like playing this series again. Still haven't played 3, I'm wondering if they'll remake that too

Attached: 51220.jpg (700x1190, 86K)

They won't, go play it

Attached: 1511131322996_01.jpg (329x429, 61K)

One of the few things we know about the final Etrian Odyssey game is that it's not EO3U

>mfw the final EO game will be a mobage gachashit

Attached: 1525251086842.webm (534x480, 2.62M)

They actually had one planned but they scrapped it

Well, there was a Mobile Etrian Odyssey, but that was more like a poor's man EO instead of gatchashit

Attached: etrian_odyssey_mobile_japon.jpg (240x240, 49K)