Can we have a retro technology thread?

can we have a retro technology thread?

i'm thinking of getting pic related, a libretto 50ct and dock for basically $50, i'd be trading some car parts i dont need for it.

what do you think? anyone here have some cool and odd vintage or retro stuff?

Tell me ,what you will do with this piece of tech ? I AM really curious

I have a 50ct and a 70ct. They are surprisingly useful and neat. The keyboard is very usable, despite the short keys.

The battery packs use commonly available li-ion cells so a rebuild is possible too. You will probably want to replace the motherboard battery on it.

A very useful upgrade would be a small CF / SD flash drive, replacing the internal hard drive. I want to do this, I bet it'd double the battery life which isn't that bad (2 hours?) as it is.

I've got a 50ct and 100ct, they're pretty cool novelties but ultimately useless.

Nothing I really would have a use for, I already have an x220 for my daily tasks. I just love the look of the libretto, plus the nostalgia aspect of it. Its purely a collectors item, at least for me.

Dang, I didn't know so many people also have a libretto. How much did you get them for?

The only old tech I really have is an old thinkpad x60.

Dat 100ct's juicy, with the bigger keys and screen. I could use that. There are very few neat tiny things like that left on the market that are high quality products.

I've always thought those Librettos are absolutely beautiful...

I was just giving my late 80s VCR a test to make sure it still worked before boxing it up for our move. Found an old tape with some episodes of Pokémon on it. Had to play with the tracking a bit but got it playing great.

>wood on electronics

Man, that's so 70s, but that's not from the 70s is it?

Late 80s. It's not wood, just fake woodgrain on sheet metal.

This early 70s clock radio has real walnut veneer on top of plywood though.

My early 1960s radio - actually solid chunks of walnut and not even veneer.

FM recently stopped working on this, pretty sure it just needs the FM oscillator tube replaced.

>those tubes
>that wiring
JESUS FUCK

welcome to mid century electronics

Have a 110CT+replicator, it's a pretty alright little piece of kit, find the mouse/keyboard a little too odd for my liking however.

Posting 68k stash instead since I don't have any good pictures of it anymore, still need to find the AC adapter and hope to god the battery still works.

man thats a cool collection.

think the 50ct with replicator is a good deal for $50?

That bar antenna looks effective, do you DX?

Here's my comfy 1960's radio, made by the Swiss for the cold war. Shortwave, AM, FM, and also it can be plugged into the phone system to receive jam-proof messages.

These were in the Swiss bunkers from the 1960s until the 2000s. Mine was certified in 1999.

holla @ your 200lx

That Velectra E-606 has incredible sound, made to Swiss Military specs. Plus it's a looker.

Don't expect multitasking miracles out of a Pentium-75 and 16-32MB of RAM but for such a unique system that isn't a bad going rate, would be more than fine for messing around and some offline productivity with Windows 95, 3.x or even NT.

At the very least, it will make a decent clock. That's what I used my 110CT as for a while.

I wanted this fucker so badly in middle school
>tfw didn't have ds or psp
>tfw didn't have cool new flip phone yet
>ngage comes out
>it's in all my game informers
>tfw spiderman, call of duty,tony hawk, ghost recon
>literally god tier catalogue, even by todays standards
>it will forever be a dream in my memory
dont even tell me how shit it was, i dont want to hear it

I have an HP Jornada 720 that I'm trying to decide what to do with.

CompuAdd Express 425XL

gonna do a small dump of this very peculiar item

Funniest part about luddite threads - all of the pictures are either old themselves or show the computer not on... because it's dead. Only use you can get out of it now is jerking off with other losers who held onto this dumpster dive garbage.

for non-working ironic luddite "tech"

Did a libretto fuck your girlfriend or something? I can't think of anything less harmful than collecting and admiring computer history.

Yes because everything made after 199x is harmful because some obscure IRC channel I go to says so, best to live in the past... with shit that doesn't even turn on anymore.

I'll be back at the end of the thread/circlejerk to take a tally of the non-working tech you're taking pictures of. Guarantee it will be in the high 80 percentage area.

Even ageism is accelerated by the internet, just post the same pic of something you found in the trash that isn't even working and probably hasn't for a decade, don't be in the picture obviously, and you too can pretend to be part of a secret elite club of pretending to be a 45 year old pretending to be an 80 year old. Literally every one of these threads are exactly the same because it's the same pictures over and over again of computers that no longer work.

Here you go

Hahaha here's another comfy machine I just got in the mail.

I will put Windows POS 2009 on there.

Transmeta Crusoe processor. Maybe it deserves a Linux instead?

i hear puppy linux runs well on older hardware

I was just reading that the wifi card can be upgraded to a more modern spec, so that's nice.

I do keep my Powerbook G4 around for providing wifi to older hardware.

You, have autism. You may not notice, but you do. I bet you don't even wear underwear under your trousers. I'm gonna kiss your dog, and make love to your sister. There's only one way to cure yourself, delete system32, and hang yourself. You fucking autistic cunt.

It was a piece of shit

i think puppy needs like 128MB, thats a bit too much

hey post some more android homescreen threads

>do you DX?
Once in a while I try to find something interesting on the shortwave bands. I don't know much about it, but I've heard some strange stuff and picked up some very distant stations.

I will love to have one of these to play doom on the go.

JUST

The Lifebook p1120 has 240mb ram.

It was a pretty high-spec, expensive machine when it came out.

>touchscreen
>high quality metal case
>9 hour battery life
>has trackpoint
>processor made by IBM, with no extra spyware
>accessible expansion slot

It's perfect for the discerning memester. I plan to refresh my battery pack with new lithium cells, put in a more modern wifi card, and put an SSD in there.

Specs? I like it, it looks rugged and generic.

i'm pretty sure it's bait. same type of person cant understand why people collect old collector cars.

Honestly, I can't feel any sympathy for that guy.

After living with your parents for 20 years, you should be able to get a feel for what kind of people they are and how likely they are to throw away your shit, especially something like a museum relic.

I wanted one of these so badly as a kid. My neighbor had one, and his dad had a laptop with a trackball (I forget the name) which I was also super jealous of.

I'm happy you're here user. It's not right to have one of these nostalgiafag collector threads without someone to lay down the law.

So fucking angry

I'll get a better picture of the entire pending housefire while turned on when I get home.

>eking s515
>slide-tilt touchscreen
>makes phone calls
>can play some old games like RCT, diablo, etc.

such a fun device

Fairly impressive

for '93

>tfw my dad had one of these

When my dad passed away my brother got this. (In fairness he's older then me and it was the family stereo when he was growing up.)

But then he sold it on eBay :-(

I need to take some photos, but my retro computing stash currently consists of:

Power Mac 6100/66 DOS
Performa 6300CD (learned to code on this one)
PowerBook G3 PDQ
Titanium PowerBook G4 1 GHz.
Power Mac MDD Dual 1.42 GHz G4
Power Mac Dual 2.5 GHz G5

Thanks, doc.

WHAT THE FUCK

Behold! The bomb the resides inside your laptop.

This is before replacing the cells.

Does anyone else have a dual monitor setup with a crt?

I have been the comfiest I've ever been ever since I bought this little tv.

now that is just simply kawaii

>Linytron

I enjoy my retro things. Only have a BST photo on my comp right now but been trying to decide what else to get for the 660lx.

Neat Hp's been trying to get stuff for my hp but damn its hard.

whoa, that thing on the left in the middle photo is really cool. what is it?

I used to have a Libretto L5, found it at a thrift store for $8. Pretty neat, but sloooooow. I don't know if more RAM would've helped, (had 384MB,) but it would cost $$$ to max out the ram (512MB I think,) so finally made the decision to sell it last year.

Its an HP 660LX. I think its basically the first HP Jornada style palmtop along with the 620LX. Its actually quite functional just need to pick up some more things for the PCMCIA slot.

that thing looks huge compared to the older librettos.

>vista

that's why it was slow.

oops, i meant the right... that thing is still cool though.

Show me your snake skills.

Not my pic. I couldn't readily find any I took of my own. I think I was running Lubuntu on it.
I think it was about the size of most netbooks, just a little shorter in depth but extra wide.

Thats called a Diamond Mako. If I remember correctly it is a Psion Revo under the Diamond name. No clue how to replace the batteries so far but other than that it works fine with sending files and receiving files to my HP using IR sensor.

Made the cube and turtle. Dont have pics but the asain woman was nice enough to show me how to impress myself with it atleast.

Is it blasphemy to replace some of the guts on these machines to make them more powerful?

I'm planning on recreating an apple 1 board

forgot the pic

>macshit
Get out.

good old days of no PCB's

If they're still functional, absolutely. The more time passes, the more important it is that we have functional historical landmarks of human technological progression.

Broken? Gut 'em, old computers looked better anyways, giving them some modern gigahertz will be doing their creators justice by keeping their designs alive.

for some reason I thought you said dual CRT setup at first but I'll blog anyway, whatever

going to probably put this setup in storage soon though and swap it out for a single 20'' SGI trinitron + the matching Indigo2

Only if it's working or a really rare piece, if it's dead, whatever, just keep/sell the working components to someone who will use them to keep their other working boxes running.

I was personally never much for case mods anyway, the whole thing that made these old systems so nice is that they felt so well put together and actually "engineered", compared to all but high-end modern hardware that's just a bunch of cheapo off-the-shelf parts lazily bolted into a generic frame with some branded plastics.

Not to mention most of them end up looking like failed abortions in the end anyway for some reason, I've maybe only seen one or two conversions that don't look like a horrifying half-ass.

>486SLC
Eugh, I wouldn't call that an "impressive" system as far as specs go, the 486DX/2-66 had already lost its crown by then, and that thing was a 486 in name only; a 386SX with an on-chip 1K cache and 486 instructions, and almost as sluggish.

Still, autism aside, that's a damn pristine and nice looking example of what are probably some of the earliest affordable consumer laptops worth a shit for any kind of meaningful work beyond simple information processing, plus every PC collector should have at least one example of a chip like the SLC, the x86 market in the 486 era really was a strange beast.

Oh man nice vintage Mac ssetup, are they all networked?

I used to have a whole room full of Quadra 700s and we'd play Bolo and Marathon.

do these old laptops suck a lot power?
would be cool te keep up an irc bot on those

aren't there already Apple I clones?

>do these old laptops suck a lot power?
Actually it's quite the opposite, they merely sip energy.

One of these older units is probably quite powerful enough to accomplish most or all of your server tasks.

best keyoard

Yeah
But I wanna solder my own board

I should invest in one of these.
I see them go for 15/30 euros sometimes
thank you for the answer

Relax man, someday you'll accept you love huge cocks in your ass and youll find happiness

If that actually had good battery life and ran linux, I might want one.

Posted this in a battle-station thread a while back

that zenith logo next to that woodgrain feels so cosy

I have one of these with different branding! Couldn't find anything on the net about it. Mines called a Renard X-TRA pro or some crap and has a purple bar instead of a red one. found it on the side of the road as a kid and found 3.11 on it

nyesssss
IBM TP 600E 1998, Compaq Armada 7750MT 1996 and Aristo FT4000 1993

Telefunken Jubilate 5 1953 (work in progress)

Why are thinkfags and old hardware enthusiasts such mlp autists?

Loewe Opta Apollo Stereo 1963

Lemmie know if you need some tubes checked.

>Dual monitor w/ CRT
Ayy

Also, have a look at my retro stash.
Pic is only lacking my Fujitsu LifeBook B2610 that I had in uni.

>amiga
aw maaaaaan luckyyyyyy

damn this thread is some vaporware shit