/hsg/ - Home Server General

Let's do it, Sup Forums.

What do you have? What are you running?

I was thinking about buying a prebuilt, and HP had a ProLiant ML10 Gen9 with decent specs (Xeon, DDR4, RAID) for $300. The catch? Built in botnet (aka HP iLO), and you have to register with HPE in order to download the BIOS updates and install the OS.

Long story short, had to built a custom one. Thankfully, Supermicro mobos are not that expensive, I managed to grab a $139 X10SLL-F-O, 8GB of ECC RAM for $49, and a Pentium G3258 for $60. Great deal. I still need to buy the PSU, what do you recommend? is 400W good enough?

Other urls found in this thread:

virtualtothecore.com/en/adventures-with-ceph-storage-part-7-add-a-node-and-expand-the-cluster-storage/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ok so i have absolutely bo idea what the fuck im doing. Im currently running windows server 2012 and trying to configure a network that allows users to login and access storage specially fr their account. I'm in the process of installing and configuring active directory but is their anything else i need and should be aware of?

Trying to decide how to do storage. Host has 8 slots, (RAID10) and the NAS has 2, (RAID1). Backup jobs run on the Veeam VM to a iSCSI target on the NAS, and then are backed up offsite to %ProviderIHaven'tDecidedOnYet

Currently, I have 4x1TB (host) + 2x2TB (backup)

I'm wondering how to best purchase these drives so I have room to grow without breaking the bank. Currently deciding between 8x1TB + 2x6TB, or 6x2TB + 2x8TB. Either way, I'm looking at like a thousand god damned dollars.

Make sure you virtualized that shit, son

I have a HP uw8600 with dual xenon e5335 and 32gb ddr2 ecc RAM. I need to replace the current hard drives since they are over 5 years old and from a recycling center. I set up proxmox and a couple vms but now it just sits off in my room. I wanna set up freenas on the new hard drives

unless all of the machines that are going to access it are joined to the domain, you dont need ad. also you dont need to virtualize it unless your environment calls for it.

just use local accounts on the 2012 machine

Why do you need server 2012 - especially if it's just for fileserver?

Raspberry pi 2 and 64GB flash drive with a belkin router
Living the good life

Want to set up a small home file server. Can I just connect an external HD to my router, providing that my router has a usb port and can share drives?

Will be using it for media. Mainly streaming HD (~3gb) to my TV.

How hard is it to set up an email server? I'd love to be able to host loads of email addresses and actually sign up for free things, but I'd rather have total control over all the email addresses rather than just making up [email protected] and [email protected] and [email protected]. I want that shit to be @ my own last name.

very. check the wiki

Mailinabox on a VPS.

I did that and it was not very hard since it does most the work for you.

Will the PSU from a Dell Poweredge 2950 work with my Tyan motherboard?

>you have to register with HPE
Does this cost anything?

Hard, because many big mail services are sticklers about what they'll accept. So unless you don't care about being able to send email to gmail/ms/etc accounts, go for it.

Dell C6100
>4 nodes
>8 Quad-core Xeons
>96GB RAM
>2x 1TB in RAID-10 because lazy

I'm a total beginner server-wise, i want to try esxi virtualisation and make voip, irc, file, web, mail servers.

I found a Dell poweredge T610 which specs are : 16 Go ECC RAM, 4 SAS 300GB HDD, 2 Intel Xeon E5504 2Hz Quad core, Windows server 2008.

Price is 500€, is it good ? I'm also worried about the redundant 870W alimentation, is it too much for what i want to do ?

My nexus 7 is running an http server app to "stream" to my phone until I can find my microsd card.

>home server
>PSU
How many drives do you have?
What is the form factor?
1U is not known for modular cables (although there is typically one giant connector for SeaSonic 1U PSUs) so that might end up limiting the number of drives.

If you have a lot of drives you may find yourself well suited to buying a SATA backplane powered using some Molex cables, connected to a storage controller via a few SAS cables.

Posting several times my ESXi Server. Very stable the processor although is Core i7. My server is running since 5 months ago. I have running a combination between Vmware & CCIE Lab.

Still the usual
X5675
24GB DDR3 ECC
Perc H700
1x850 EVO 250GB, 6x Random 1TB hard drives, 1x2TB backup drive
Mellanox ConnectX-2 10GbE card

Noob alert

Wondering this also. Are server psus interchangeable?

Holy shit that's worse than what I picked up for $250 I'm

>The catch? Built in botnet (aka HP iLO)
>Supermicro X10SLL-F-O
>Botnet
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

1 - Intel. IME is already enabled, so this invalidates your "botnet" argument to begin with.
2 - Supermicro runs an ASPEED IPMI controller. This is connected to the system via PCI and the BMC.
3 - HP ILO. Much like the Supermicro, this is a custom SOC. It ties into the BMC and PCI interfaces.
4 - ILO / IPMI / DRAC usually have their own interfaces, or are configured as out of band. In any event, they can all be monitored and controlled by, and interact with, the server at any level.

/hsg/ threads are fun, but when you cry "muh botnetz" you sound like a drooling retard.

No. But in order to be eligible for any of the HPE "restricted" software, you have to have a valid warranty. I expect that everyone will go this route eventually. It's sad.

I suppose I'll stick with PowerEdge's for the time being.

Depending on your IO requirements, a couple big drives may be better than more small drives.

I went with 12x 4TB spindles and 4 500GB SSD's, configured with Windows Storage Spaces.

The other thing to look at is refurbished drives on ebay. Smaller drives especially are going for ~$40/drive.

Servers are easily the most proprietary market in computing hardware.

However, in my experience rackmount server motherboards always follow the ATX standard for motherboard power, ATX/EPS12V.

So theoretically you should be forced to buy proprietary a Supermicro motherboard and case, with aftermarket RAM (debatable), aftermarket PSU, etc.

Depending on form factor, the heatsink/cooler may also be proprietary.

Just finished my FreeNAS box:
Define R4
X10SL7-F
i3-4370
16GB DDR3 ECC
16GB Transcend flash drive
6x4TB HGST in raidz2
Cyberpower CP1000AVRLCD

Just got an HP DL180 G5 for free. Single Xeon E5420, tossed 16gb in it and an SAS HBA in place of the shitty RAID card. Taking over freenas duties from an old dell precision.

Not hard, if your ISP blocks port 25 outbound you can always use an smtp reflector like sendgrid, the trickiest part for me was setting up all the domain verification records

How is that worse ? Is 500 really too much for what i'm getting ?

usually yes
but you won't be happy with it. It'll have to be externally powered if disk-based: amperage on the port is not good. It'll be slow, even through USB. You will be hosting files from your router.

Build a $400 home server and configure SMB or NFS if you have the know-how

>CX500M
>on a 24/7 machine

you're posting your ip pajeet

How do I build something that has the following characteristics:

>has one single root file system
>no keeping track of which drives the files are on
>pools the storage available into that single file system
>tolerates failure of like 2 or 3 storage media, enough time to replace

I can actually give a decent answer to those requirements, but what has me stumped is this:

>EASY TO EXPAND STORAGE

I want to slowly buy more and more drives and add them one by one to the server. However, the filesystem stuff seems to be set in stone the moment you set it up no matter what technology I look into. I can't just add a drive, and when I can, it won't redistribute the load so the redundancy characteristics end up skewed. Also, what happens when I run out of drive bays and motherboard connections?

Do you have the answer Sup Forumshsg/

what are you even looking for

Simple, expandable, reliable, centralized storage? I kind of hoard data. Lots of torrents.

do you even RFC1918?

Top to Bottom inside rack:

-2x Intel NUC
CPU: Core i3 5010U
RAM: 16GB
Function: set up as ESX HA cluster

-Router, Ubiquity EdgeMax Pro

-Switch 1, Quanta LB4M (48port 1Gbps, 2port 10Gbps)

-Switch 2, Arista 7124SX (24port 10Gbps)

-Server 1, Supermicro 1U
CPU: Core i3
RAM: 16GB ECC
SSD: 4x 1TB 850 Pro RAID 10
NIC: 2x10Gbit
Function: Datastore for vritualization

-Server 2, Supermicro 2U (Twin server, 2 nodes)
-Node 1:
CPU: 2x Intel XEON E5-2650v2 8 Core HT
RAM: 128GB ECC
Storage: ESX on USB
NIC: 4x10Gbit + 6x1Gbit
Function: ESXi Virtualization server

-Node 2:
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2609v2
RAM: 32GB ECC
SSD: 2x 512GB 850 Pro RAID 1
RAID CARD: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9286 8e SGL 8 + LSIiBBU09
NIC: 2x10Gbit + 2x1Gbit
Function: Storage server, RAID card is connected to the 4U JBOD underneath it.

-JBOD, Supermicro 4U
CASE: SC847 E16-RJBOD1
HDD: 37x 4TB RAID 60

-Old norco case storage machine
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 24GB
SSD: 1x 128GB
HDD: currently 8x 2TB
NIC: 2x10Gbit
Function: Test server for storage stuff

-DL160G6
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon L5520
RAM: 32GB
HDD: 4x 1TB RAID 10
Function: Test server.

-DL140G3
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5345
RAM: 16GB
HDD: 1x 160GB
Function: Test server.

-Router, Coldspare Monowall (supermicro C2D)

-Router, Coldspare pfSense (supermicro C2D)

Or you can make a request at your ISP to unblock port 25. Port is blocked by most ISP's due to security reasons.

BTRFS can do that.

Add drive and re balance.

>I want to slowly buy more and more drives and add them one by one to the server. However, the filesystem stuff seems to be set in stone the moment you set it up no matter what technology I look into. I can't just add a drive, and when I can, it won't redistribute the load so the redundancy characteristics end up skewed. Also, what happens when I run out of drive bays and motherboard connections?
>Do you have the answer Sup Forumshsg/

You're looking for a distributed object based store like CEPH. You add to the pool and it grows your storage area automatically. You can't do it right without 3 machines to start and you add more storage by adding more machines packed with drives.

>tfw you have a 750GB external HDD to back up both desktop and laptop and it's only filled half way
feels good not to be a hoarder desu

Can someone else give his thoughts, cause is making me second guess.

>alimentation

Isn't that what you pay to your wife after she fucks tyrone and jamal?

2x C2100
1x C6100
1x RS140

The Dell's have 144GB mem and hex core 2.7GHz Xeons. The Lenovo was a promotion for attending a Lenovo event. It a 4 core 3.4GHz Xeon with 32GB of mem. The Lenovo runs my edge applications and the Dell's run my infrastructure. They're all running ESXi 5.5 and I'm managing it all with the VCSA. So six VMware hosts since one of the C2100s is a storage box.

The network is a combo of Nortel 5510/5520/5530s and a Gnodal 10G/40g L2 switch. The storage network runs at 40G, and my managment network runs at 10G. All L3 tasks are handled in the Nortels at 1G but they're connected to the Gnodal by 6x 10G. There's 80G of bandwidth through the stack cables between the Nortel switches. I'm not network limited anywhere on my network besides WiFi. I provide POE to all LAN ports in the house including the ones in the ceiling for my WAPs.

I run a ton of services internally for myself and also host several for customers. It usually brings in about $2k a month which I use to augment my stack.

I am jelly. Here is my setup:

Top - Storage server, 6x 4TB Raidz2, 4x 1TB iSCSI, 2x SSD for cache.

Cheap 16 port 1Gbit switch

Power strip

Dell server running ESXi, 72 GB RAM, some Xeon 5000-series 2x CPUs

Supermicro server running ESXi, used with PCI passthru for Steam streaming to thin clients.

UPS, only supports the storage and 1U ESXi server.

Synology DS112 with an 3TB WD Green HD
Next to it - Gaming Rig
Intel Core i5 6600K
16GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Radeon R9 280X 3GB

Are you buying new or used? Don't buy new. Get off lease hardware for much less than new. C2100s are available on EBay for $300. They're dual CPU and usually come with much more memory.

Don't buy pedestal servers. Rackmount or nothing. Get a lack rack if you want but later when you have three or five or fifteen you'll thank me.

cucking is mostly a thing in amerrica you know, non english speaking european country are not this degenerate yet and do their best to resist the degeneracy.

buying used of course, isn't pedestal server better for home with the heat and noise ? I'm not sure i'm gonna need more than this single server for like the next 5 years, but if they're cheaper I got no reason not to get rack.

What company needs this beast?

not for company, its in my basement, hence is why I'm posting it in /hsg/

What about power? I'm looking for something around $1000 total, 2TB, 32GB and be powerful enough to run 2 VMs, Sophos UTM and CentOS plus be power efficient. Any recommendations?

>He fell for the synolomeme memestation meme

i know that feel bro.

Rpi for openVPN
Cheap netgear gigaswitch
DS415+ for mail/dns/backups/BT/dlna

Do any anons know what kind of case that is?

Also, what kind of motherboard would have that number of SATA connections, or would you have to have additional controller cards to handle them? (do you risk data loss/errors using controller cards these days?)

Does pi hole work well?

Im thinking of doing something productive with my pi rather then keeping it as a paper weight.

turn them into NTP servers

What the fuck do you do with it?

How much did everything cost?

it does okay for what it is.

the internet is too slow when I am to do anything useful [down 1 | up .1mb/s]

I have a raspberry pi that was running arkos but i accidentally stepped on it.

>Intel S2600CP Motherboard w/ Dual E5-2670 SR0KX , 128GB Ram
>$475

general storage, AD, mail, NTP, VPN, FTP, backup server, gameservers, vcenter, unifi, observium, bots, proxy, WDS, TS3, websites, etc, etc and a lot of testing.

guessing about $35k at this point

>What company needs this

Holy shit have you ever seen a datacenter for even a small/medium business?

Lol my thought exactly. Dont like ILO? Just dont plug it in!

Do you rent it to someone, do you make any money out of it

Here's my PowerMac G5 server

I tried to install NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD, but none of them have an rd kernel with SMP support, so I just installed OS X till I get around to compiling a kernel. Soon I'm installing a 120GB SSD, second 4TB HDD, and a PCI-X SATA II card

>2x 2GHz PowerPC 970 MP (northbridge doesn't support dual core CPUs but I've got them installed because it's a die shrink over the regular 970s)
>8x512MB RAM
>4TB HDD
>1.5TB HDD
>1TB HDD
>Mac OS X Server 10.5.8

Uses
>file server
>torrents
>compile server
>web server

it gets the job done. i have outgrown it through and will be building a new rack setup in the coming months

I allow my friend to use the hardware to test stuff, don't rent it out or actively make money with it though I should point out that it was paid for with other server related stuff (not paid with my main job salary)

KGPE-D16
2x Opteron 6262HE
40GB RAM
3x1TB HDD in RAIDZ1 (will soon add more HDD's)
4x1Gb NIC

Also:
shitty L2 switch

Not in the picture:
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

fellow swedish user?
can you run libreboot on it?

I found a refurbished Dell 2950 for 400€, 2X Xeon quad core E5440, 32GB of DDR3, 2X 146GB 15000RPM SAS Drive, 2 X 1TB 7.2K SATA, dual GB NIC and no power supply.

Is the cost worth it now ?

really impressed with your set up user.
I am new fag that wants to learn more about servers; I kind of want to get a set up going in my basement, I don't really need a power house; any guides or references? I just want to learn about firewalls, vmware, provisioning. do you use puppet by any chance?

Ohayo gozaimasu, meine swedisch freunde!

start small obviously, but make sure you leave room to upgrade.
don't buy old shit to save money as you will still notice that in your power-bill.

As I said, I let friends use my servers and one of them is doing a lot with ansible as that is also what we use at a large LAN party we help organize.

>buying used of course, isn't pedestal server better for home with the heat and noise ? I'm not sure i'm gonna need more than this single server for like the next 5 years, but if they're cheaper I got no reason not to get rack.

In most cases pedestal servers are different hardware than their rack mount counterparts. The TS140 has one NIC and shared mem. The RS140 has two NICs, disparate memory and a BMC.

>I found a refurbished Dell 2950 for 400€, 2X Xeon quad core E5440, 32GB of DDR3, 2X 146GB 15000RPM SAS Drive, 2 X 1TB 7.2K SATA, dual GB NIC and no power supply.
>Is the cost worth it now ?

Jesus titty balls. Avoid 2950s. They're power hungry, loud, and not powerful. They go for $50 here now. Baddogservers gives them away occasionally.

What should i aim for then ? There's close to nothing under 300€ and for this it's only 1 quadcore and 8GB RAM with like 3*75GB HDD and such.

And how can i find something decent in Europe ? Or is it normal to get robbed cause the market of used servers is almost non existent here ?

if you are looking at 2950, look at an r710 instead. otherwise something like a ts140 and you can cram 4 extra nic cards, 32 gigs of ram, and 4 hard drives into it.

that guys is not joking, 2950s are fucking LOUD as fuck even at idle

I really have no clue about servers, i've been looking what's to sell and comparing CPU/RAM/HDD and searching for the lowest price with the better specs.

How can I learn what's good and what's not other than looking at the specs ?

Does it have to be the same size drive?

ZFS and a lot of others have these weird software RAIDs which apparently don't allow me to buy a 4 TB drive and add it to a pool of 2x1 TB drives; I could but it won't use the 3 TB

Imagine something like Amazon S3's simple API, but as a local filesystem on a very snall scale. I'd have "unlimited" underlying space with no concept of drives at all and just manage data by unique identifier. Abstracted the drives away to the point I just add random drives and replace the failed ones

>distributed object-based store

Yeah that sounds like what I want! Kind of like a distributed/sharded database system but for my entire file system. I'll look into it. 3 systems should be no problem, but I'll start looking into power efficiency as well.

>Don't buy pedestal servers. Rackmount or nothing

Depends on what you're doing. I swapped out and condensed a half rack into a single PE T620.

what is CCIE, how can I do something smaller for CCNA instead of gns3 or packetbraked?
are those routers images in torrents safe?
some link to learn this?

My home server is something I built to be quiet--no fans. It's an 8core CPU, 32GB RAM, 512MB SSD. It runs Xen with Linux instances mostly. It's also got an HBA that connects to my 8x4tb array (SPF8088). I use software raid for safety (hardware dies). It stores all of my usenet downloaded media and runs plexmediaserver. I use plex on my tablet or smart tv to watch movies and TV.

If it doesn't have a Xeon CPU and at least 64 GB ECC RAM, it's not a server.

>server |ˈsərvər|
>noun

>a computer or computer program that manages access to a centralized resource or service in a network.
Sure thing bud

best server reporting in

Lenovo Ts140 best price is 300€ for 1 dualcore CPU Intel Celeron G1850, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, no HDD.

RS140 start at 800€.

Dell R710 is 360€ for 2 x quad core Intel Xeon E5530, 32GB DDR3 SDRAM, no HDD, 2 870W PSU which seems a lot for what i want.

So is the R710 my best bet ?

>shitty compressed jpg
>logged in as root for no reason
>uptime: 1m
>old 32 bit kernel
Kill yourself

>Ceph
>object store
>block level store
>bindings to languages
>REST API (comoatible with S3!)
>data striping
>data replication
>posix nfs
>in-memory caching (probably glorious mmap)
>snapshots
>incremental backups
>copy on write
>rebalancing
>data scrubbing, bit-by-bit if I want
>FUSE
>can implement my own software on top of the whole thing
>even provides a custom CMS as example
>can use SSDs as cache
>open source so I can look at the glorious implementation details

It seems like some kind of dream come true - lots of smart people already tackled this problem.

Thanks so much for introducing me to this!

virtualtothecore.com/en/adventures-with-ceph-storage-part-7-add-a-node-and-expand-the-cluster-storage/

One question though. When scaling the cluster, do I have to provision a whole new node, or can I add storage to an existing node until I use all the bays and only then provision another node?

Dell r210 sitting in a data centre for lolz

host: Hiyori OS: Linux 3.13.0-77-generic/x86_64 Distro: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS CPU: 4 x Intel Xeon (2394.080 MHz) Processes: 229 Uptime: 77d 11h 36m Users: 1 Load Average: 0.31 Memory Usage: 8191.52MB/16036.79MB (4.23%) Disk Usage: 77.48GB/909.78GB (8.52%)

2x whitebox machines at home

i5 2500
24gb ram
Archlinux
10x4TB drives in RAID-Z2
Chelsio S310E 10gbe nic
File server +Plex + various download things

i5 3570
16gb ram
Ubuntu server
4x480gb ssds + 1x4TB drive in btrfs pooling mode
Chelsio s310e 10gbe nic
Nginx functioning at a steamcaching server

>And how can i find something decent in Europe ? Or is it normal to get robbed cause the market of used servers is almost non existent here ?

No clue, brocepticon. In freedomland good servers grow on trees.

>Yeah that sounds like what I want! Kind of like a distributed/sharded database system but for my entire file system. I'll look into it. 3 systems should be no problem, but I'll start looking into power efficiency as well.

C2750s are your friend.

>Depends on what you're doing. I swapped out and condensed a half rack into a single PE T620.

You did it wrong. Why would anyone want to be like you? You're still in the before pic.

>Lenovo Ts140 best price is 300€ for 1 dualcore CPU Intel Celeron G1850, 4GB DDR3 SDRAM, no HDD.
>RS140 start at 800€.
>Dell R710 is 360€ for 2 x quad core Intel Xeon E5530, 32GB DDR3 SDRAM, no HDD, 2 870W PSU which seems a lot for what i want.
>So is the R710 my best bet ?
Jesus. Lenovo literally gave me an RS140 for attending an event.

>It seems like some kind of dream come true - lots of smart people already tackled this problem.
>Thanks so much for introducing me to this!
>virtualtothecore.com/en/adventures-with-ceph-storage-part-7-add-a-node-and-expand-the-cluster-storage/
>One question though. When scaling the cluster, do I have to provision a whole new node, or can I add storage to an existing node until I use all the bays and only then provision another node?

I manage a 3300 node cluster on the side. I've never added less than a full node to the cluster but if it's like HDFS (it is) you allocate free space in your JBOD and it doesn't care at all if you add one disk or a million. Disk speed isn't important either and it's rack aware.

Data migrations are amazingly easy. Add new nodes at the new data site, let it rebalance the cluster, the start shutting down nodes at the old site. It'll take a few rebalances but the data is always available and has parity.

I feel like Windows storage space might be somewhat related to what you want

Guys, we've "inherited" an HP ProLiant DL580 Gen5 server at work.

- 20GB Ram
- Two 6 core Xeons
- Two 150Gb HDDs in Raid 0
- VMware ESXi 5.1 (free license)
- 4 NICs

It's been donated to my department (we used to be just support guys) to start up a small development team and better serve the organization.

Really don't know what the fuck to do with it. Our tiny services run on a 2007 computer I've put in the (previously network-only) rack room.

I can figure out my way around virtualization shit but I need some guidance when it comes to what I need to do.

We have two services: one running apache + php + mysql and another apache + python + mysql (same apache instance). We don't even have a domain or valid IP (not critical atm).

What do I need to know?
What do I need to install/configure as to secure and make the services reliable?
Are there any guides about this shit? I'm not building a 99.999% availability data center.

We don't have hardware for backup but I guess we can use the old "server" with upgraded HDDs as NAS or something.

Not bashing because I would totally do this stuff too, but I wonder how many corporations are like /hsg/ users: I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but fuck it, I need more servers.

Stuck picking between my virtualization host
I was looking at some vm hosting distros like proxmox or unraid but I just figure maybe I should just use redhata and configure it myself.