/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Stax-xFF33-xFF32-2170-Srs2170/dp/B0043HPD0I
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR007.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800S.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800Ssn01067.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800Ssn01070.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what's subjectively the best frequency response?

I see a lot of people have different preferences on frequency responses, a lot of people love the audio quest night hawks even though they are a bit uneven in the frequency response. Is there a consensus?

>what's subjectively the best frequency response?
Whatever you find the most enjoyable.

Is there any other alternative to a FiiO E5 or E6? I need one for my Ruizu X02 because I need more bass. I can't use EQ because it makes it sound horrible.

There's no consensus and never will be. For me it's flat with maybe some amount of sub bass boost. Harman target is kind of subjectively tuned target so headphones which follow that response closely would probably sound great to many people. Thing is people are used to all kinds of odd gear, can't listen, have very personal taste in music etc. It's impossible to find something that suits everyone the best.

perfectly flat then EQ to your taste

otherwise
>subjective

I don't see how taste in music would affect the frequency preference. There are people who love EDM that actually prefer brightness over warmth and others are the complete opposite.

In theory flat should be the perfect frequency response. You'd listen to every instrument, every sound, exactly like the way it was recorded, exactly the way the artist was listening to while recording.

Don't really care to be honest as long as it's sorta flat, doesn't distort and the stereo imaging works

Does anybody here have the DT770 Pros? Could you please check if they would fit someone with ears that are about 2.7in (7cm) high?

That's an odd request, I've never measured mine.

got the x2s for $100
stack for $120 + $18 shipping
how'd i do Sup Forums

Closed or Open preference for general use desktop?

where from?

An amp does literally nothing for the X2's you wasted your money.

>don't see how taste in music would affect the frequency preference.
Of course not in a way that could be generalized to a specific genre in a fixed manner like the dumb "you need bassy headphones for EDM".

That's a pretty good deal, especially on the X2s. The amp was not necessary though.

Need privacy/isolation? Closed.
Otherwise? Open

That's a great price. I'm jelly.

Sounds like good deals.

Open unless you really want to have isolation.

>Budget
80 - 100 USD
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop, Smartphone
>Preferred type of headphone
Headset, one jack
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
6+ hours of work, 3+ hours of gaming in desktop
>Preferred music
Alternative rock, progressive
>Past headphones
Peasant Sony's MDR studio shit...

let's try again

why do people hate on the X2s when tyll and zeos loves them?

Z is retarded
Tyll actually removed them from the hall of fame. He realized that they actually don't sound that great

x2s craigslist
stack ebay
i tend to bounce around on headphones, figured a stack would be good to have when I find more deals

HyperX Cloud is the only acceptable option. They come with a dual 3-pole jack to single 4-pole jack adapter.
Don't get the Cloud II, the "7.1 surround" is bullshit and not worth the extra 30 bucks unless you really really like the colors it comes in or something.

And between them and K551?

>craigslist
Why is my STOLEN flag waving like mad?

>Budget
120 us dollars and bellow
>Location
USA CA
>Source
on my desktop and my s5 occasionally
Closed, full headphone
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
2 comfy 4 me or decent
>Preferred tonal balance
Listen to a lot of queen and instrumentals so something with moderate to low bass and not to bright
>Preferred music
QUEEN
>Past headphones
Some horseshit headset

Considering the at ath ad 700x closed headphones maybe

damn
I just actually picked up some new x2s from ebay (The seller offers a 30 day return policy) for 180 bucks thinking I got a good deal and you post your deal as I bought mine
I'm excited for them since they're my first open headphones and their sound is just what I'm looking for, and I can use them for gaming too with my vmoda boom mic

guy i bought it from was a dorky looking kid that attended a local community college.
maybe he lifted them? apparently he didn't like that they were open back and wanted closed.
still, i'm not going to argue $100 pre-gibson x2s

That scratch on the magni would bother me. I'd use touch up paint on it if it were mine.

Depends on if you want a flatter, more neutral sound signature or a more V-shaped sound sig.

You asked for a headset though, so I gave you a headset option.

>You'd listen to every instrument, every sound, exactly like the way it was recorded, exactly the way the artist was listening to while recording.
Here's the rub though, the artist never really hears the actual music as he's recording it, the producer does, and even then not in full until all the tracks for the song have been recorded and are being mixed - after they have gone through filters, vocal tuning, equalization and compression. The only exception to this rule is classical music, where you genuinely have all the musicians performing together in one room to a single recording setup.
And even with all that, the mastering engineer's job is to listen to the music on as many different types of audio devices as possible, from Apple ear buds to $100,000 full-range speakers to ensure it sounds good on all of them; using only one or two truly "flat" sources for judging the sound would be just as much of a mistake as relying on coloured sources.
If you believe that stuff like subjectivity doesn't exist in the studio, you'd be very wrong, often a lot of time is spent just spinning knobs (no one ever really knows what they all do) until you get something that sounds good, and you might not know how you even did it so you make damn sure to take notes. I could've very well stumbled upon a different but also nice-sounding effect, and it wouldn't have made it any more right or wrong.
So listen to whatever makes you happy, because that's how music is made.

K551 has an inline mic as well

I see. It comes down to your personal preference then, the K551 is more neutral whereas you may find the Cloud more "fun".

Good! Thank you very much brah

For extra comfort, you can add Brainwavz HM5 pads to the Cloud if you want. They're 20 bucks for the normal velour/pleather ones and 25 for the angled velour/pleather ones and the hybrids. Should still fit within your budget.

It's sad that headphone shopping is usually like playing Russian Roulette and not like shopping for, like, shoes where you can try before you buy. Reviews and measurements is a good indicator of value but can only do so much to describe the product.

>Budget
50 - 80 USD
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop
Headset, one jack
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
6-8 hours of use at a time
>Preferred music
Alternative rock, Pop/Synthpop
>Past headphones
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X

Someone else, but
How would you say the comfort is for the K551?
Also whether or not it's a trash inline microphone or not.

Open, unless i need isolation.

Isolation as in room mate/ASMR use or just like traveling?

This is HD800 thread now. Quick, post your beauty.

When are we going to get a perfect audio transducer for fucks sake? I don't want to deal with muh subjective shit anymore.

easily the most detail oriented headphones made. the hd600 don't even come close.

we already have. they're called electro static headphones.

Well, that depends i guess, i generally only go closed-back when traveling, i ride the bus a lot and go the the beach often, neighbors there are noisy as fuck in december.
Otherwise i go open-bac/semi-open, if it's a long travel i might even bring an open along with the closed in case i don't need isolation.

Nah, I'll be over here enjoying my music, rather than jerking off over how clearly I can hear the drummer's chair creaking.

I am trying to catch that high pitch fart actually.

To be fair, if you can hear the drummer's chair creaking, it's probably fault of the production who A: Somehow recorded the chair
B: Let it slide during edition
I mean, assuming you are not listening to concrete music or some variant, in which case being able to listen to that chair could probably be the point of the whole thing.

>tfw bought the Philips Fidelio X2 after reading Tyll Herstens' in depth review
>tfw he went as far as to say they were as good as the HD600
>tfw he goes on to say that the reason HD600 are kept up there is because they can be used on more powerful sources
>tfw he later redacts his statement after the release of the HE400s
>tfw he removes the X2s from his hall of fame after the damage is done and the X2s have achieved meme status.
>tfw he goes on to say that the HE400s sound better than the HD600 yet he keeps the HD600 in the hall of fame even though they're more expensive
>tfw he knocks down the X2s because the HE400s are smoother sounding and in the same price yet build quality is nowhere near X2 quality

WHICH IS IT YOU COCK HEAD.
Tyll is as bad as zeos saying the newest thing is the best thing ever. The only reason people follow his advice is because of his graphs.

>Budget
£200
>Location
UK
>Source
iPhone/Essence STX
Overear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfy.jpg
>Preferred tonal balance
I'm mostly looking for a bassy experience, I want to feel that shit vibrating deep inside me (no homo). Think Dolby Atmos in cinemas. But without destroying the rest of the treble etc. I'm not good with headphone lexicon
>Preferred music
Pop, indie, acoustic, orchestral, whatever daft punk and Moby is
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD558 - very comfortable, loved the soundstage and clarity.

>Think Dolby Atmos in cinemas.
You want an external subwoofer. You aren't going to get that with headphones.

Trips of truth.
Always test the headphone user, always test the headphone.

Fug, I was about to order some X2s this morning but the Amazon price jumped from £160 to £260 in a few hours, so mad. Also what is this Woox/Gibson thing.

What's Sup Forums's opinion on the MEE Audio M6 Pro? I'm looking for an IEM, and they get good review on Amazon. If they're actually pretty shit (I plan to buy Comply ear tips), here's the form.

>Budget
50-100

>Location
US

>Source
2014 Retina MacBook Pro, Sansa Clip, iPhone 6S

>Preferred headphone
IEM

>Comfort level
Comply memory foam eartips

>Preferred tonal balance
Similar to the Sony MDR-7506, but I'm flexible with tonal balance because I'd prefer detail over a flat signature

>Preferred music
Everything but country

>Past headphones
Apple Earpods, Sony MDR-7506

Momentum In Ear, SE215 or if you can pry another $20 from your wallet MA750.

good price but getting Uber ver. is way better imo...

Well yeah, I might be stretching a bit with that. Either way I don't really feel much oomph with my 558s, and I've become jaded at the build quality. I was thinking 650s might be a good step up, just not usable with the phone. Essence should be fine with its 600 ohm limit.

A bit off-topic, but what are the girl's headphones in OP image?

They are completely fictional. They even come with glasses with a HUD.

>Budget
Around $100
>Location
Mexico
>Source
Moto G 2014, getting a portable amp soon
Over the head
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Not too important
>Preferred tonal balance
V shaped or bassy
>Preferred music
Progressive Death Metal and J-Pop
>Past headphones
The first Beats Studio and some older Sony headphones.

I've been looking at the Audio Technica WS55 and Sennheiser 419 and 429.
Thanks in advance.

AKG BL-W411.

I bought a pair of of X2s for $230 CAD off ebay recently (compared to like $450 CAD new, our dollar/import taxes are ridiculous).

Extremely satisfied with them, great headphones.

Oh, too bad they are not real. I even didn't notice the glasses were attached to the headphones. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Google returned no results.

Try AKG W3TBK.

I'm pretty sure user is just screwing with you.

Yeah, I noticed.

harman, pretty much mildly warm, or dark, or bassy. basically bright is bad.

I feel like he tries to rank the wall as if you could only buy one headphone and you don't have anything else.

if you don't want bassy, and you have nothing else, yes the hd600 and even 400s would be a better buy, they're more balanced. I was looking for bassy though, and I already had a 598, so I didn't see the point in paying 300 or more for a slightly better 598.

maybe I just look at things differently because I'm a headphone hoarder.

CAL

I lived in Japan and went to one of those big electronic stores where they have a floor for headphones. You could try out all of them bar the really expensive ones and there were so many to choose from. If for some reason you want to go out there keep in mind it's a great country to buy them from.

I have atx m40s, would a DAC like a fio improve the sound from my PC? I have no sound card

Any speaker users here?

My amp is slowly breaking down, i'd like to replace it. I'm thinking about Yamaha a-s201, is it good? A-S300 is something about 20% more expensive.

>Budget
50-100 USD
>Location
United states of Bad Politicians
>Source
Mobo audio
Fullsize
>Open or closed
Semi open or closed
>Comfort level
Comfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral
>Preferred music
Eurobeat/Chiptune/House
>Past headphones
Superlux HD 681
- Terrible build quality
- Shitty (sweaty) earpads

I am looking at buying
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
+
Brainwavz HM5 Velor Replacement Earpads
but I want to make sure I'm not doing something retarded.

How is it breaking down? In my experience an amp either works or it doesn't

Input selector switch is sometimes not connecting both channels.

Also: my current amp, no matter how beautiful it looks, is a cheap old piece of shit and i'd like to try something modern for a change.

>Semi open or closed
I'm assuming you want isolation, so yeah, M40X + pads is not a bad call, and alternative could be the MDR 7506 with Auray Sheep Skin pads since you are also worried about built quality, those things are freaking tanks.

SHP9500...do they soak up as much sweat as they say?

lol just looked and his reasoning for removing the x2 is literally "he-400s is more musical".

I think tyll's lost track of what he actually likes.

all pads do. the problem with shp9500 is that you can't replace the pads.

That vintage Yamaha is ridiculously cool. As for the switch, you could probably fix it yourself. But it's understandable if you want to upgrade, I think the a-s201 is a good choice. One thing about speaker amps is that measurements are pretty hard to come by. But going by Ethan Winer's teachings, modern amps are supposedly transparent, as long as they aren't defective or the engineer wasn't an idiot.

no

I would assume so since they're fabric, in my experience actual velour repels sweat/moisture pretty well, a flat fabric would just soak it up.

not all pads. SHP pads are so bad you can run your finger on them and get black ink leaking out its that bad.

Feelin' /warm/ out here.

Been eyeing a Mjol2 or Val2 desu, still fucking fuming that I missed an SR007MK1 (SZ1) for ~$650USD.

SR-207 are better and cheaper. better than HD 800S too.

Good for you?

just got my dt880 600ohm. Having buyers remorse lol. They are borderline too small for my head, have to find the perfect spot for them to fit nice and even then they arent as comfortable as my hd558s. Also they sound great, but I dont think the difference in sound from Hd558 to these was worth it. I think sennheiser oval type headphones (558 598 600 etc) are the only headphones that fit my head right. My head is long and my ears are low I guess. These would be perfect if I could extend 1 more notch. Ill look into returning them for a refund if thats possible, otherwise ill get used to it I guess.

why doesn't everyone run out an buy the sr 207 over something like the 400i or any thing else?

good for everyone who just read my post and saved $1000.

the price just dropped recently from $750 to less than $500. i don't think anyone has realized yet. it's a steal.

Somehow I doubt your opinion is relevant enough to sway even a single person to go out and buy them.

my opinion? i'm talking about the fidelity

Believe it or not, your opinion isn't objective truth no matter how much you think it is or that you're completely non-biased.

my opinion has nothing to do with how different headphones measure

>600ohm.
why. Literally, why.

Where do you even buy that shit from. It's not on amazon, there's no 500$ sr 207 on their website and there's only japanese shops on ebay. Spoonfeed me I'm too lazy to google

When you base your opinion entirely on cherry-picked measurements it shows your inexperience on the subject.

Measurements are far too subjective due to the infinite number of variables out there, especially distortion measurements.

right here: amazon.com/Stax-xFF33-xFF32-2170-Srs2170/dp/B0043HPD0I
they change the name to "Srs2170" when the amp is being sold with the headphones. silly japs.

cherry-picked? i haven't even cited my sources. repeating that measurements are subjective and that fidelity is nothing but my opinion doesn't make it true. i'm sorry you blew $1600 on shitty headphones. no need to take your anger out on me.

the website (ncix) where I bought them from they sold the 32 ohm, 250 ohm and 600 ohm all at the same price. I got them for 250$ canadian, which as far as I'm concerned is a good deal. The 32/250ohm were the same price so I chose the 600 ohm since I read they were slightly better. I would never pay more for them though

What anger? There's no need for you to project.
>i haven't even cited my sources
Of course you haven't, you're no better than the average head-fi user claiming things and pulling 'facts' out of nowhere.
>that fidelity is nothing but my opinion
I was saying it was your opinion that they have higher fidelity and as you are yet to cite anything, my statement still holds true.

If you were really after the 'highest fidelity' why wouldn't you be recommending Etymotics or HD600s?

>What anger?
you have been passive aggressive right from the first reply
>Of course you haven't, you're no better than the average head-fi user claiming things and pulling 'facts' out of nowhere.
>I was saying it was your opinion that they have higher fidelity and as you are yet to cite anything, my statement still holds true.
here you go:
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR007.pdf (late Mk1 sn SZ1-1023)
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800S.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800Ssn01067.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800Ssn01070.pdf

>If you were really after the 'highest fidelity' why wouldn't you be recommending Etymotics or HD600s?
if we ignore the shitty build quality, then yes, i would recommend HD 600 over HD 800S